Dial or Electronic Lock?

Nothing but dial locks for me. No batteries to fail, but i often take guns out or put guns in the safe during the day when my hands are not the cleanest. Having 3 or 4 dirty buttons when the rest are spotless makes the combo alot easier to guess. At least once a month someone will unlock my truck just to show me they can by randomly pressing the dirty buttons

You watch too much TV. You can set most good E locks to a bunch of numbers or a few, even the same number more than once. Most of the good one's will lock you out if you try the wrong combo too many times for a period of time, that you can set.

The problem with making a post like you did is that it may sway someone who thinks you have a valid point.

You using that as your excuse not to use an E lock is fine but I just hate to think that is the way you feel due to misinformation.

As far as the battery goes, especially as often as you say you go into it, it won't have the chance for a battery getting to the point of leaking and ruining anything. The lock starts to beep as soon as the battery is starting to get weak, either by itself automatically or when you put the combo in.

KK

I feel that way because the only e lock i own is on the door of my pickup and even though i occasionally clean my buttons you can still tell which 2 are used. It is a 6 digit code but anyone can open my doors by randomly pressing those 2 buttons. I have had enough guns stolen already, thats a chance i wont take with my gun safe.

A Ford Keyless Entry lock is different in that each button contains 2 different numbers which narrows down your choices.

If that is your only experience with E locks I can see why you have a problem with them. The combo on those locks can not be changed. They can have another combo added to them but the original will always remain.

The fact is, you are talking apples and oranges.

It will be hard to change your mind on E locks but I hope you can understand the differences

KK

I have two safes with electronic locks, my nano safe lets you know if it has a low battery and a key just in case the battery does fail. The battery for that one is inside of the safe so you do need a key of overide the electronic lock. My other safe is a bif Sentry safe which also has an electronic lock. I have had that safe for 12 years and have only had to replace the battery once. It has a low battery indicator as well but the battery is on the outside of the safe, if you take the battery out it will still remember the combination that was set so no worries there. It does have a electronic key pad as well as a key but on this safe the key locks down the handle so if this lock gets set even if you have a combination you would still need the key as well. Both safes have been very reliable with no issues. I used to think that the dial safe was the only way to go but if you ever require a combination change or need a temporary combination for someone the electronic safe is the only way to go. I keep my nano safe in the truck but thinking about getting another nano safe for my night stand just in case the grandbaby comes by to spend the night.

It's all good here. Totally a personal preference, and I just really appreciate getting a feel for the numbers, as well as hearing some ideas that might not have occurred to me before.

I like electronic. It's harder to make a mistake by dial past your number and having to start from scratch if you are in a hurry.

A Ford Keyless Entry lock is different in that each button contains 2 different numbers which narrows down your choices.

If that is your only experience with E locks I can see why you have a problem with them. The combo on those locks can not be changed. They can have another combo added to them but the original will always remain.

The fact is, you are talking apples and oranges.

It will be hard to change your mind on E locks but I hope you can understand the differences

KK

Every time is see an locked out On Star commercial, I shout "buy a FORD" combination locks is standard equipment on most of their vehicules... and then there is the gal that called 911... she had locked herself in her car....

When I started shopping for a safe I thought I wanted a dial because I thought it would be more secure. After doing a lot of research, I became convinced that electronic was just as secure and maybe even more so. If it weren't so, I don't think the best safe makers would use electronic, but they do. Also, my biggest reason for buying a safe was for fire protection and I learned that either one of them would fail in a fire and have to be opened by a professional. As far as robbery goes, ether one will keep out a crack head but neither will keep out a professional as the lock is not necessarily the point of attack.

Both. The security safe for the long guns and non-everyday items is dial and tumbler. The quick access 2 pistol vault is the biometric / electronic type.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back