Detained for Open Carry, Portland, Maine 26MAY2012

It was a scenario...you don't know what the cops have been told...and it is unwise to create suspicion especially with a cop that is not gun friendly and/or responding to a gun call.

How many different ways can we say "Exercising your legal right to remain silent can not legally be considered reasonable suspicion that a crime is being commited."

Either you're just a flat out troll or your reading comprehension skills are just not there

How many different ways can we say "Exercising your legal right to remain silent can not legally be considered reasonable suspicion that a crime is being commited."

Either you're just a flat out troll or your reading comprehension skills are just not there

34hyxq9_th.jpg

Holy Jesus Treo...UNLESS there is already suspicion generated by a caller...you just don't know. Maybe you're a spitting image of the guy who robbed the convenience store...long story short, why argue! I will refer to my post 122 and hope this thread dies a quick death. Those of you that cant see past beyond your own gun toting world just makes it tougher for the rest of us out there being responsible and having nothing to hide.

Call was not a hot call

If the cops had a hot call they would have responded w a show of force including a supervisor.. A hot call is an active and ongoing call involving a dangerous situation, like Gun shots or a robbery which takes priority over all else, it means all hands on deck..

I can absolutely tell you that the police didnt recieve a call other them a man walking around w a firearm, dispatych most likely ascertained his activity an direction w a breif description.. Then it went out as a pri 2-3 call.. Gun calls are all about safety if shogs or brandishing are taking place, you would be an absolute walking death wish answering a hot call like that..

It would have been a Felony tacticul stop had info come in otherwise and had been the case, the Cop coulda spread him in a proned position had the callers described an aggressor w. a firearm and to me that Cop does his Due dilligence in securing safety for all first, even if all others are tied up, he still can prone him and act accordingly, clearly that wasnt the case hear, so I can tell you rgat from answering gun calls nightly for years until i went to Major Crimes...

As far as the supervisor clearing it all up, he heard the Protests, knew his officer had no leg and was 100% in the wrong and terminated the Stip, personally i would have told gg the civilian that I apologize for the inconveinance, handed hjm my card and w a promise to train my shift or at least breif them as to firearms carry laws, and attempting to makw it a breif department wide, and for him to call me within a few weeks and possiy get back w him.. The super was all policy as he had his hat on as he saw video camera and wanted to be 100% by the book..

Shamrock, You are providing a lot of good information here and I hope you don't take this wrong but your posts would be a lot more readable if you'd run them through a spell checker

Holy Jesus Treo...UNLESS there is already suspicion generated by a caller...you just don't know. Maybe you're a spitting image of the guy who robbed the convenience store.

If I am being investigated because the cop thinks I match the description of a robbery suspect I can't think of a better time to STFU and assert my rights. If have even a hint that I am actually suspected of some crime the only thing coming out of my mouth is "I want to speak to a lawyer"

And , again, I'll point out that the cop said he had no suspicion that any crime had been commited. Do you get that? The guy wasn't under suspicion of any crime. The cop stated it, there was no legal reason to detain him. What part of that do you not understand?

long story short, why argue!

Please cite the post where I reccomended that anyone argue with the police. How could I possibly be arguing if the only words I'm saying are "Am I free to go?"

Flanmedic51:318482 said:

Holy Jesus Treo...UNLESS there is already suspicion generated by a caller...you just don't know. Maybe you're a spitting image of the guy who robbed the convenience store.

Gotta echo Shamrock. If anyone is being stopped because they look like a guy who just robbed a store, do you think police would approach a dangerous robber so casually? Let's say, the officer did for some reason approach a possible robber in such a relaxed state. Would the officer not explain that there was a robbery and that the suspect was described exactly like what the OC'er looked like? What would the point be to approach such a possibly dangerous suspect playing a guessing game?

That my fellow medic, is a completely different scenario. The officer in this instance approached and explained there was no criminal suspicion, and that the stop was for openly carrying a firearm. That is what the officer admitted to, that is black and white. A good encounter in this instance, would of been if the officer said, "That is your right, have a nice day Sir."

This youtuber, acknowledged and said hello, how are you. When he got the gist of what the call was, he remained silent. When the officer said he was free to go, the OC'er was respectful and said have a nice day. I respect this officer and OC as much as I respect the OP and the supervisor. I don't really believe the gum chewing to look professional, but his actions were commendable.

eagleeyes:318533 said:
gum chewing lolz i'd rather they guy chewed gum than have bad breath all on me whilst speaking to me
heheh

:) I'd hope the officer would brush his teeth regularly, floss, and use mouth wash, to keep his breathe from stinking. He chewed so fast...it was distracting! :)

Treo

I apologize, done from my I-Phone, too difficult to type, I was board and at my office awaiting the power to be restored, no computer..

I take no offense as its hard as heck typing on this small keyboard w Irish Ham Hocks for fingers .

I'm just throwing scenarios out so people could relate to the fact that there could be already articulable suspicion that the OCer may not be aware about due to an over zealous citizen reporting to a 911 operator. ie looking in store windows, etc and LEO confirming those suspicions upon arriving. I realize the robbery suspect scenario would entail an elevated LE response but my point being a cooperative OCer could save themsleves a whole lotta time and grief IMO and experience. I'm not saying the initail Ofc in the OP did or said the right things but the OCer was embarrassing to watch as well. I showed my colleagues this vid and they have the same sentiment...but that's just my world and opinions.

I'm just throwing scenarios out so people could relate to the fact that there could be already articulable suspicion that the OCer may not be aware about due to an over zealous citizen reporting to a 911 operator.

Not when the cop tells you there isn't

Treo said:
It has been my experience that those, in the permit holder community, who seek the title of sheepdog, tend to be authoritarians who use it as a means of self aggrandizement. They tend to derive their feelings of self worth from the position of quasi authority they assume their permit gives them

Treo:318727 said:
I'm just throwing scenarios out so people could relate to the fact that there could be already articulable suspicion that the OCer may not be aware about due to an over zealous citizen reporting to a 911 operator.

Not when the cop tells you there isn't

Treo said:
It has been my experience that those, in the permit holder community, who seek the title of sheepdog, tend to be authoritarians who use it as a means of self aggrandizement. They tend to derive their feelings of self worth from the position of quasi authority they assume their permit gives them

No $hit Sherlock that's not what I was insinuating. And I'm sorry you've had bad experiences to have the misconception of the term 'sheepdog'. Folks like you like to make into something it isn't.

This thread is going nowhere as people think what they think. There are two trains of thought here. 1) You believe the rights of the people outweigh everything else no matter what. 2) You think the powers of the government are overriding of the rights of the people. 3) You think the people have rights BUT it is ok for the gov to intrude on them depending on the situation. I am with the #1 group. I was raised as a Navy brat and was taught the people are in charge not the government.

He did nothing wrong. The supervisor new that this guy had knowledge of the laws and there was nothing he could do. Often times are rights are violated by LE and we don't even know it. In this situation, I feel it was a good on all parties involved. This could've got ugly. I would not open carry but that's just me.

It was a different story until the supervising officer arrived on scene. God bless that man for standing his ground.

He did nothing wrong. The supervisor new that this guy had knowledge of the laws and there was nothing he could do. Often times are rights are violated by LE and we don't even know it. In this situation, I feel it was a good on all parties involved. This could've got ugly. I would not open carry but that's just me.
Nothing wrong. Bring detained for NO legal reason? What do you think is ok about that? If the Le is ignorant of the law he is ok but if you or I do not know a law you think we would get a free pass? I think not. The saying so popular with le's and prosecutors is "Ignorance of the law is NOT a excuse." if it applies to the PEOPLE then it should apply to the Le's as well. But hey you go ahead and feel free to let your rights be abused I stand up and defend mine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back