DA/SA pistol: safety on or off

Cypher

Child of the Night
If you happen to carry a DA/SA pistol assuming you carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber, do you carry it with the safety on or off?

I don't have one now, but when I did, I carried hammer down safety off. I now carry a 1911 condition one
I know there is no safety but sometimes I carry my taurus judge poly, it would be an example of hammer down safety off

My DA/SA pistol allows me to either carry cocked and locked (1911 condition) or hammer down, safety off. It will not allow me to carry hammer down, safety on. If you decide to carry cocked and locked, make sure you practice, practice, practice the draw stroke and thumbing the safety off. Muscle memory is the key in an emergency.

I carry my Bersa Thunder with round in chamber, hammer down and safety off. The first trigger pull is long enough, just like carrying a revolver.

:victory:

Sig P229 has no safety so pretty much I put one in the chamber, then de-cock the hammer, then slide in a full magazine and holster it...

My sig p220 has no safety, just de-cocker. I wouldn't want to have a EDC that has a safety as I think it's not very safe for me if I ever have to use the weapon and then have to remember to take a safety off, I could end up dead. After the gun is de-cocked, it's DA and that is my safety. My other EDC is DA only, a Springfield XDs.45 and has no safety. I wouldn't carry a weapon for EDC if it has a safety. Just my opinion......

My DA/SA pistol allows me to either carry cocked and locked (1911 condition) or hammer down, safety off. It will not allow me to carry hammer down, safety on. If you decide to carry cocked and locked, make sure you practice, practice, practice the draw stroke and thumbing the safety off. Muscle memory is the key in an emergency.

CZ RAMI by any chance? That's one of my EDC's, and it's set up the same way. I carry it hammer down, safety off.

On my traditional DA/SA (S&W 4563TSW with decocker), I carry it safety off.

Somehow I knew when I read the first post, I would be able to read every post, and everyone would proclaim, safety off.

Is this a Rambo crowd, or what?

I own and at times CC a DA/SA decocker, a Beretta Px4 Storm Sub Compact 9mm. I keep a round in the chamber, and the safety ON!

If all you guys were submarine captains, I bet the nuclear strike keys would be dangling in the control boxes, 24/7.

People who train with safeties on, are how much slower than those that train with safeties off? The speed of the presentation is almost the same time wise, but it takes longer for the safety off people to get to the firing line to qualify, because they all walk to the firing line with Glock Leg. lol

For me, safety is first. How can anyone proclaim, safety first, if your own sidearm, has the safety off?

In firearm safety classes, as a Chief Range Safety Officer, we train students, if you have a safety, place the gun on safety before reholstering your pistol.

My usual CC pistol is any one of several Glocks, and I never have ammo in my Glocks, without first placing a trigger block safety in them. Easy, and instantaneous to remove should I need my gun.

Link Removed

Somehow I knew when I read the first post, I would be able to read every post, and everyone would proclaim, safety off.

If all you guys were submarine captains, I bet the nuclear strike keys would be dangling in the control boxes, 24/7.

Why should I put any trust in an instructor that resorts to name calling and other nonsense in his first reply to a thread? How very professional. I'll take your advice under consideration.

OK. I considered it. I'm still going to carry my Taurus Millenium Pro with the safety off.

I own and at times CC a DA/SA decocker, a Beretta Px4 Storm Sub Compact 9mm. I keep a round in the chamber, and the safety ON!

People who train with safeties on, are how much slower than those that train with safeties off? The speed of the presentation is almost the same time wise, but it takes longer for the safety off people to get to the firing line to qualify, because they all walk to the firing line with Glock Leg. lol

For me, safety is first. How can anyone proclaim, safety first, if your own sidearm, has the safety off?

In firearm safety classes, as a Chief Range Safety Officer, we train students, if you have a safety, place the gun on safety before reholstering your pistol.

That's funny I don’t feel like Rambo

The last time I had any interaction with the CSPD they were issuing the S&W 5906. This is a third generation S&W that has a decocker/ safety that drops the hammer and gives you the option leaving the safety on (puts a block between the hammer and firing pin) or flipping it off and trusting the firing pin block.

I never saw a CSPD cop carrying one with the safety on. Never heard of one blowing his feet off either

My CZ75B (B stands for firing pin block) allows for the option of DA carry with the safety off on condition one carry. I have a phobia about dropping my gun with the hammer cocked and breaking the hammer so when I carry it I carry it with the hammer down and the safety off.

I don’t see any difference between that and carrying a fully loaded GLOCK, the gun isn’t going to “go off’ unless you put your finger on the trigger.

My usual CC pistol is any one of several Glocks, and I never have ammo in my Glocks, without first placing a trigger block safety in them. Easy, and instantaneous to remove should I need my gun.

Link Removed

I'm confused because that does not look like a Glock as a matter of fact I can quite clearly see a Beretta symbol on the hand grip

That's funny I don’t feel like Rambo

I'm confused because that does not look like a Glock as a matter of fact I can quite clearly see a Beretta symbol on the hand grip

The Rambo and the LOL was to bring a light hearted feel, to a serious subject. Sorry another poster missed the hints in that direction. You did, congrats. The Beretta pic, was in reference to another gun I talked about first in the thread.

Glock does not have an external safety, but guns that do, why not avail yourself, your family, of the free protection they provide? Every year, how many people get shot with their own gun? Bag guy gets your gun, and bang. Toddler picks up a gun you thought they could not reach, and bang. Wife moves your gun, maybe to bring it to you, and bang. If a gun has a safety, why not use it?

If you can add a safety to a gun like Glock, for the price of lunch out at a drive thru, why not get one, and use it?
9215199665_1363109011.jpg

Do you carry your gun to protect yourself? Would you use it to protect yourself? If you answer yes to those questions, and you find yourself in court, to justify a shooting, one of the 1,000 questions you will be asked, is do you keep your safety on, on your gun? Why would they ask that? It shows your mindset, public safety, or fast & loose, ready to shoot as fast as possible.

Glock20,

The original question was:
"do you carry it with the safety on or off"

So why are you changing the conditions we are talking about to:
"Every year, how many people get shot with their own gun? Bag guy gets your gun, and bang. Toddler picks up a gun you thought they could not reach, and bang. Wife moves your gun, maybe to bring it to you, and bang. If a gun has a safety, why not use it?"

This is my routine:
Gun out of the holster, safety is on. Gun is loaded, placed in holster on belt. Safety is switched to off. Several times during the day, I check the safety lever is still off. It can get moved while in the holster, but usually gets moved to the off position, if it was on. If I draw the gun to fire it, I sweep the safety towards off during the draw, but more than likely it is already off. If I am going to remove the firearm from the holster for any reason other then firing the gun, the safety gets switched on before the gun is removed from the holster.

There is a HUGE difference between routinely handling a gun, and carrying a gun for self protection. In a gun carried on the body, in a secure holster that covers the trigger guard, there is only an extemely minute added margin of safety that an engaged manual safety will add. The chances that I might miss disenganging that safety during the critical moment of drawing and presenting the gun during a self defense situation far outweighs the minute added safety margin the external safety will provide while the gun is properly holstered on my person.

In a self defense court case the prosecutor could just as likely use your choice of .45 ACP over 9mm, or hollow points over ball ammunition, or if you clean your gun everyday to discredit you as carrying the gun with the safety off. No police department that I know of that carries Glocks adds a trigger block safety to their issued duty guns.

Link Removed

Shooting at the range, in class, is not the same as being in a real gunfight. Why would you want to insert an extra step that you may or may not forget to do when you are in a stressful situation like a real gunfight? Also, is there any real difference between a DA semi-auto and a revolver when it comes to safety? Both need to have the trigger pulled to fire and the pull is much harder on DA than it is in SA. This is all the safety I need. If you need more than that, go for it. Chances are good you will never need to pull and use the weapon anyhow since they are like fire extinguishers, there if needed.....but how many fires have you had? Most people, fortunately, will be able to say none. I still have my extinguishers though, just in case. :ph34r:

But you're smarter than everyone else and thought a scolding was in order instead of just answering the question. Got it.

Umm....Rambo carried a big cheap China-made survival knife. The fictional character just wanted to be left alone, and didn't want to hurt anybody. He also went beyond the limits that most people with his level of (fictional) fighting skills would endure of taking abuse before he employed any defensive force upon his abusers. Have you ever actually seen the movie? Being like John Rambo as far as knowing when to engage and when not to would mean you were among the most tolerant of those who would victimize you, which I think would be a positive trait as long as you had the skills to get out of a threatening situation once it reached the point of no choice, which it did with him throughout the rest of the movie after the arrogant, thug Sheriff went off the rails and sent his whole force and even the National Guard into the woods to kill the war-hero.

Your metaphors suck.

Why did you not just post this line, leave out the exclamation point, and join in the discussion on an equal footing with the rest of us, rather than gettin' all superior and uppity and stuff?

Yawn.
pajenry_by_laoperz.gif

For me, safety is first.

Umm....Not really. Seems scolding and demeaning comes first with you.

How can anyone proclaim, safety first, if your own sidearm, has the safety off?

My safety is between my ears. It can be engaged or disengaged at the speed of thought. I carry a DA/SA on purpose because I've trained for close to 40 years making my first shot in DA, and each succeeding shot in SA. The DA pull on the two weapons that I EDC both have a long, fairly stiff length of travel in DA. There is no circumstance that one can imagine where engaging the decocker and leaving it engaged would make my weapon any safer while it is holstered. If it ever becomes unholstered in a defensive shooting scenario, it will be just as safe for the full travel of that first trigger pull as it would be if I trained myself to add another step in drawing and firing by disengaging the decocker during the draw stroke and then employing a full pull of the DA trigger. I'm not interested in training myself to add extra steps for absolutely zero safety benefit though. I sure hope that's cool with you. Well, on second thought, I really couldn't care less if it is or it ain't.
_shrug__or__dunno__by_crula.gif

Wow, really? I've been through several advanced rifle, shotgun and pistol shooting academy courses, and in every single one students were encouraged to experiment and learn what works best for them. Of course, the instructors offered suggestions, and those suggestions all stayed within high-level safety parameters, but the DA/SA shooters were never "trained" (like organ monkeys?) that they had to engage their safeties, and the Glock/striker-fired shooters were never even advised that they could (or should) add a freakin' block between the trigger and rear of the trigger guard on a weapon that was designed not to have an external safety of any kind. I mean, to each his own, but you're not the only certified instructor on the planet, and I'm bettin' that you're not anywhere near the best if you neglect to teach your students how to think, rather than what to think.

Awesome.

Blues

Link Removed
you seem to be more concerned about being safe on a range, in a SD situation speed is what might keep you alive and having to find and release a safety is a micro second you cannot afford to waste if you are ever confronted by a bad guy. I know of no trainer of self defense skills who would ever advocate carrying with a safety on. lastly do you know of any cop who would carry with a safety on?

Umm....Rambo carried a big cheap China-made survival knife.

James Buel Lile, known as Jimmy Lile or The Arkansas Knifesmith (August 22, 1933 – May 5, 1991), was a knifemaker from Russellville in Pope County, Arkansas, who made the Rambo Knife for the films First Blood and Rambo: First Blood Part II.[1] As a knifemaker Lile served as a President of the Knifemakers' Guild and on the Board of Directors of the American Bladesmith Society.

Jimmy Lile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gil Hibben (born September 4, 1935) is an American custom knifemaker from Wyoming who is based in La Grange, Kentucky. Hibben designed the first line of Browning hunting knives in 1968, the American Kenpo Knife for Ed Parker, and the Rambo Knife for the films Rambo III and Rambo
Gil Hibben - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rambo carried American made knives

The knives that were sold after the movies were cheap Chinese knock offs

Jimmy Lile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gil Hibben - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rambo carried American made knives

The knives that were sold after the movies were cheap Chinese knock offs

Regardless, he carried it with no safety, either engaged or disengaged. The metaphor is still a really dumb fail.

And Gil Hibben uses Taiwanese and Chinese 440C stainless steel in the overwhelming majority of his mass production runs. His designs are sometimes interesting, but they're usually intended as "art" rather than being useful as a hard-working tool. Using 440C (or any 400 series steel) is indicative of that fact.

And looky here, your link about Lile's Rambo knife reveals a similar deficiency:

Lile chose to forge the blade of 440C high-carbon steel, which he claimed could cut through the fuselage of an aircraft.

Bunch o' hype right there. Any sharpened steel will cut through aluminum aircraft skin, even 420J. And if you have no idea what properties 420J steel has, please find a more reliable source than Wikipedia before correcting me again.

Blues

CZ RAMI by any chance? That's one of my EDC's, and it's set up the same way. I carry it hammer down, safety off.

On my traditional DA/SA (S&W 4563TSW with decocker), I carry it safety off.

I do have a CZ RAMI! You have good taste in guns. I also have a couple other carry options because, well, a girl sometimes dresses her gun to her clothing. I have been known to carry the 1911 style guns "cocked and locked" and have practiced thumbing the safety during the draw stroke. If you train for it, the safety doesn't slow you down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back