Cop accidentally shoots self in elevator.

Couldnt have happened, cops are professionals... Someone has to have faked the video to give cops a bad name..

Seriously though.... EVERY TIME you holster a weapon, you MUST pay close attention to keep EVERYTHING, including your boogerhook away from the trigger!

Couldnt have happened, cops are professionals... Someone has to have faked the video to give cops a bad name..

Seriously though.... EVERY TIME you holster a weapon, you MUST pay close attention to keep EVERYTHING, including your boogerhook away from the trigger!

Yep, This is what can happen when folks get overly confident and complacent after carrying for awhile. They forget about the safe way to handle their weapons. Oh well......

:rolleyes: You know, I used to write an individual response to each and everyone of these threads. Then I decided to save myself time by using a standard response that I can keep on my hard drive, and simply copy and paste for the benefit of those who might be interested in finding a better way. (Definitely not everybody!) So, ....... here we go again!

ARC ANGEL'S STANDARD GENERIC REPLY TO ANOTHER ONE OF THESE, 'I JUST SHOT MY NUGGIES OFF WITH MY OWN GUN' THREADS:

I've been a Range Safety Officer for a long long time; and I've seen a lot of really crazy behaviors with guns. For as long as I've been on the internet and internet gun forums I've recommended, over and over again, that the general public should not be allowed to carry semiautomatic pistols in C-1.

Unless there's reasonable expectation of imminent engagement in a close quarter ambush, a user's pistol does NOT need to be in C-1. Furthermore it's been my experience that anyone who's well practiced, genuinely good with a gun, and KNOWS HOW TO CQB PISTOL GUNFIGHT will be equally effective regardless of whether or not he's got a round chambered. (I don't think this is true, I am 100% positive that it is!) General civilian C-1 carry of a semiautomatic pistol - especially a striker-fired or 1911 pattern pistol - constitutes a clear and unnecessary risk to everyone with whom the pistol's carrier comes into daily contact - Including the user, himself!

Exactly, 'Why' so many people so completely fail to understand amazes me! I suspect this reluctance to be GENUINELY SAFE is both a training issue, as well as an ill-considered emotional predilection to play, 'cowboy', or be a, 'tough guy'. (Please don't give me the usual nonsense about: 'If it ain't got one in the chamber then it's a brick.' Lots and lots of people have been killed with bricks!)

Just so we're clear: I DON'T CARE IF EVERY, 'GLOCKEROO', 'COWBOY', AND, 'TOUGH GUY' ON THE PLANET ENDS UP SHOOTING HIMSELF. IN FACT I MIGHT EVEN PREFER IT; HOWEVER, CHILDREN AND OTHER INNOCENT BYSTANDERS DESERVE A KINDER BETTER FATE!

:jester:

My personal preference is to keep my SR9 racked, but safetied. Also, I agree with BC1.

"""been a Range Safety Officer for a long long time; and I've seen a lot of really crazy behaviors with guns. For as long as I've been on the internet and internet gun forums I've recommended, over and over again, that the general public should not be allowed to carry semiautomatic pistols in C-1.*

Unless there's reasonable expectation of imminent engagement in a close quarter ambush, a user's pistol does NOT need to be in C-1. Furthermore it's been my experience that anyone who's well practiced, genuinely good with a gun, and KNOWS HOW TO CQB PISTOL GUNFIGHT will be equally effective regardless of whether or not he's got a round chambered. (I don't think this is true, I am 100% positive that it is!) General civilian C-1 carry of a semiautomatic pistol - especially a striker-fired or 1911 pattern pistol - constitutes a clear and unnecessary risk to everyone with whom the pistol's carrier comes into daily contact - Including the user, himself!*

Exactly, 'Why' so many people so completely fail to understand amazes me! I suspect this reluctance to be GENUINELY SAFE is both a training issue, as well as an ill-considered emotional predilection to play, 'cowboy', or be a, 'tough guy'. (Please don't give me the usual nonsense about: 'If it ain't got one in the chamber then it's a brick.' Lots and lots of people have been killed with bricks!)"""

Thank God there is another Range Safety Officer with big enough brass balls to post on a gun forum the foolishness if C1 carry as a general practice for armed people. Somedays i feel i have been singing to the chior alone. Then when you do point out a safer, just as credible means of carry, C3, some nut job comes unglued and hurls vomit all over you. I hold 5 NRA Instructor ratings, one Chief Range Safety Officer. I am also Glock Certified Armorer, and have held a CCP over 30 years. In my expirence i feel C3 is way underrated and should be adopted and trained for by most people who carry, including LE.

However, it aint going to happen, in large part, because people use their genitals for brains. Dead woman in walmart and her traumatized family is just one such example of why C3 is so important.

This officer removed his gun from the holster. How fricken stupid is that? What was that for? Looked like he almost put the gun in his coat pocket. Dumb dunb dumb. Officer 25 years. What this does show, is how year after year of doing the same action, and no negative outcome, you get sloppy, lazy.

Gun should never come out of a holster in such a public place unless you need the use of that gun. Just plain foolish.

Know why you have so many billions of flight miles and so few plane crashes? Redundant safety measures. Layers and layers of things, in place, so if one bad thing happens, or even two or three, even negligence by someone, the system has measures to envelope the problem and recover. Gun handeling could learn a few things from flight school.

:rolleyes: You know, I used to write an individual response to each and everyone of these threads. Then I decided to save myself time by using a standard response that I can keep on my hard drive, and simply copy and paste for the benefit of those who might be interested in finding a better way. (Definitely not everybody!) So, ....... here we go again!

ARC ANGEL'S STANDARD GENERIC REPLY TO ANOTHER ONE OF THESE, 'I JUST SHOT MY NUGGIES OFF WITH MY OWN GUN' THREADS:

Since you're quoting yourself, there's no need to separate the main points of your post within a quote-box. That forces anyone wishing to reply directly to the main points of your post have to go back and forth copying and pasting, which I'm not willing to do, so I'll presume that you recall what you said well enough to address some counter-point in reply to it.

Your "standard generic reply" seems to only refer to oppose carrying C-1 (chambered, ready to fire) striker-fired and SA semi-autos. While I am not expressing agreement with that premise in asking the question I'm going to ask, it doesn't apply to any weapons that I carry daily since all of my handguns are either DAO or DA/SA. The one DAO weapon has no external safety (Kel-Tec PF9), one of the DA/SA weapons has a decocker/safety mechanism (S&W 4563TSW), and the other two have a rather rare configuration of a true DA/SA trigger group, but with a safety that works identically to a 1911 that can only be engaged in "cocked and locked" condition (CZ 2075 RAMI). I don't use the safety on any of the weapons that have one, I absolutely do carry chambered, and rely on the long trigger pull and the gray matter between my ears to substitute as the "safety" rather than a mechanical one. There is absolutely no way that any of my triggers could be "accidentally" or negligently actuated, and all of them have hammer/striker/firing pin blocks that prevent the chambered round being fired because of dropping the weapon or something striking it during a car accident or whatever.

Just so we're clear: I DON'T CARE IF EVERY, 'GLOCKEROO', 'COWBOY', AND, 'TOUGH GUY' ON THE PLANET ENDS UP SHOOTING HIMSELF. IN FACT I MIGHT EVEN PREFER IT; HOWEVER, CHILDREN AND OTHER INNOCENT BYSTANDERS DESERVE A KINDER BETTER FATE!

In short, I carry C-1 all the time, every time. Am I a "glockeroo" or a "cowboy" or a "tough guy" and do you prefer that I shoot myself because my tactical decisions don't comport with yours?

Just wondering......

Blues

This officer removed his gun from the holster. How fricken stupid is that? What was that for? Looked like he almost put the gun in his coat pocket. Dumb dunb dumb. Officer 25 years. What this does show, is how year after year of doing the same action, and no negative outcome, you get sloppy, lazy.

Gun should never come out of a holster in such a public place unless you need the use of that gun. Just plain foolish.

Know why you have so many billions of flight miles and so few plane crashes? Redundant safety measures. Layers and layers of things, in place, so if one bad thing happens, or even two or three, even negligence by someone, the system has measures to envelope the problem and recover. Gun handeling could learn a few things from flight school.

That was my first thought when I saw the video - why was he handling his firearm in the first place? One news reports quotes the police captain stating he was going to carry the firearm in his hand as he and his wife walked to the car. WTF! Imagine someone seeing him get off the elevator with a gun in his hand. Wouldn't that person have a reasonable belief that their life was in imminent danger, draw their own weapon, and drop him on the spot?

And who the hell carries boxes with take out food in one hand if they are so concerned about their safety that they need to carry a firearm in the other hand? Wouldn't it make sense for his wife to carry the boxes while he scouted the area for danger on the way to the car? Was he going to shoot a potential mugger with one had on the gun?

The final bit of irony, he is the city's code administrator, "responsible for the enforcement of the City's Codes and Ordinances which have been adopted over the years to help protect the health, safety and welfare of the residences."

Wonder why we think police taking guns during stops is not for officer safety...

Keep it holstered, keep it safe.

Quick to draw, slow to holster.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

"""been a Range Safety Officer for a long long time; and I've seen a lot of really crazy behaviors with guns. For as long as I've been on the internet and internet gun forums I've recommended, over and over again, that the general public should not be allowed to carry semiautomatic pistols in C-1.*

Unless there's reasonable expectation of imminent engagement in a close quarter ambush, a user's pistol does NOT need to be in C-1. Furthermore it's been my experience that anyone who's well practiced, genuinely good with a gun, and KNOWS HOW TO CQB PISTOL GUNFIGHT will be equally effective regardless of whether or not he's got a round chambered. (I don't think this is true, I am 100% positive that it is!) General civilian C-1 carry of a semiautomatic pistol - especially a striker-fired or 1911 pattern pistol - constitutes a clear and unnecessary risk to everyone with whom the pistol's carrier comes into daily contact - Including the user, himself!*

Exactly, 'Why' so many people so completely fail to understand amazes me! I suspect this reluctance to be GENUINELY SAFE is both a training issue, as well as an ill-considered emotional predilection to play, 'cowboy', or be a, 'tough guy'. (Please don't give me the usual nonsense about: 'If it ain't got one in the chamber then it's a brick.' Lots and lots of people have been killed with bricks!)"""

Thank God there is another Range Safety Officer with big enough brass balls to post on a gun forum the foolishness if C1 carry as a general practice for armed people. Somedays i feel i have been singing to the chior alone. Then when you do point out a safer, just as credible means of carry, C3, some nut job comes unglued and hurls vomit all over you. I hold 5 NRA Instructor ratings, one Chief Range Safety Officer. I am also Glock Certified Armorer, and have held a CCP over 30 years. In my expirence i feel C3 is way underrated and should be adopted and trained for by most people who carry, including LE.

However, it aint going to happen, in large part, because people use their genitals for brains. Dead woman in walmart and her traumatized family is just one such example of why C3 is so important.

Then why don't police officers carry in condition 3?

1. "Unless there's reasonable expectation of imminent engagement in a close quarter ambush" - are police officers outside of NYC always, 100% of the time under a reasonable expectation of imminent engagement in a close quarters ambush?

2. "anyone who's well practiced, genuinely good with a gun, and KNOWS HOW TO CQB PISTOL GUNFIGHT will be equally effective regardless of whether or not he's got a round chambered. (I don't think this is true, I am 100% positive that it is!)" - aren't police officers praised as being highly trained with firearms? Aren't they trained to so much higher standards than "civilians"?

3. "General civilian C-1 carry of a semiautomatic pistol - especially a striker-fired or 1911 pattern pistol - constitutes a clear and unnecessary risk to everyone with whom the pistol's carrier comes into daily contact - Including the user, himself!" - then why doesn't police officer C-1 carry of a semiautomatic pistol constitute a clear and unnecessary risk to everyone? Is it because they are "highly trained"? But if they are "highly trained", then why don't they fall under point 2 a

4. "I suspect this reluctance to be GENUINELY SAFE is both a training issue, as well as an ill-considered emotional predilection to play, 'cowboy', or be a, 'tough guy'" - ohhhh! So is that the reason police officers carry C-1?

5. "(Please don't give me the usual nonsense about: 'If it ain't got one in the chamber then it's a brick.' Lots and lots of people have been killed with bricks!)" - again, if C-3 is sufficient, then why isn't it good enough for police officers?

6. "I hold 5 NRA Instructor ratings, one Chief Range Safety Officer. I am also Glock Certified Armorer, and have held a CCP over 30 years. In my expirence i feel C3 is way underrated and should be adopted and trained for by most people who carry, including LE" - when the majority of LEOs not only honestly publicly state that C-3 is safer than C-1 and when they practice it themselves, I might consider your opinion. There is a reason why the "professionals" don't carry C-3, although it is the "professionals" who have the majority of negligent discharges and can't seem to hold on their guns, especially in bathrooms. So maybe I should take your word for it over the more than 450,000 law enforcement officers who carry C-1 - for a reason.

Since you're quoting yourself, there's no need to separate the main points of your post within a quote-box. That forces anyone wishing to reply directly to the main points of your post have to go back and forth copying and pasting, which I'm not willing to do, so I'll presume that you recall what you said well enough to address some counter-point in reply to it.

Your "standard generic reply" seems to only refer to oppose carrying C-1 (chambered, ready to fire) striker-fired and SA semi-autos. While I am not expressing agreement with that premise in asking the question I'm going to ask, it doesn't apply to any weapons that I carry daily since all of my handguns are either DAO or DA/SA. The one DAO weapon has no external safety (Kel-Tec PF9), one of the DA/SA weapons has a decocker/safety mechanism (S&W 4563TSW), and the other two have a rather rare configuration of a true DA/SA trigger group, but with a safety that works identically to a 1911 that can only be engaged in "cocked and locked" condition (CZ 2075 RAMI). I don't use the safety on any of the weapons that have one, I absolutely do carry chambered, and rely on the long trigger pull and the gray matter between my ears to substitute as the "safety" rather than a mechanical one. There is absolutely no way that any of my triggers could be "accidentally" or negligently actuated, and all of them have hammer/striker/firing pin blocks that prevent the chambered round being fired because of dropping the weapon or something striking it during a car accident or whatever.

In short, I carry C-1 all the time, every time. Am I a "glockeroo" or a "cowboy" or a "tough guy" and do you prefer that I shoot myself because my tactical decisions don't comport with yours?

Just wondering......

Blues

That's what I liked about my old Ruger P90DC's. They were DA/SA and had no safety on them. Just the decocker and a long first trigger pull like a revolver. :smile:

I saw the video, and rather than name calling the guy, Ill say this is a perfect example of the fact that anything can happen. The actual circumstances surrounding this " Accident ", were an accumulation of events that cause this " accident " in his 25 years as a Police officer, these accumulation of events probleoy never occurred before, Hands full, in an elevator, long coat, stuggling to handel the weapon etc. It was a very unfortunate accumulation of events.

People get into all types of accidents, all the time.. people cut themself, get into car accidents, City ER's are full of people who made mistakes and succumb to accidents. This video just shows a guy that did something he thought had no consequences. There probably have been thousands of people about to exit a elevator to a garage who have drawn their weapon to a pocket to be at the ready in a garage environment, where victims of crime are an every day occurrence.. I would not call this guy stupid for considering a defensive posture. I would call it an unfortunate set of circumstances with the right intentions that went wrong..
Instead of calling this guy stupid.. the point would be, we can all act stupid at times, So the lesson learned here is, be careful when drawing your weapon, it could have been much worse considering he could have killed his wife, in the process of trying to prepare himself for an encounter in a garage. we can all learn by peoples mistakes. would I draw my weapon to my pocket when exiting an elevator into a closes parking garage? No, because my weapon would already be there.

:jester:

You truly are one dumbass..

Shannon Watts called....
She wants you to come home, before it gets dark (like your thoughts).

Link Removed
Link Removed

For those that might actually not know the disadvantages of condition 3 (which, for those that don't know means carrying a firearm with a loaded magazine inserted but no round in the chamber):

1. If your firearm should happen to jam upon loading the round in the chamber, under what conditions would you rather clear the jam? In the relative safety behind a locked door (usually in your home) where there is no immediate threat requiring the use of your gun? Or would you rather be forced to clear that jam in the heat of the moment after you have drawn your firearm because you feel an immediate threat that is requiring use of the gun within the next few seconds (if you are lucky) and with that threat to your life likely increasing with every tick of the clock. Sure, you can train to clear a jam in a second or two after detection of the jam (which might be when you are attempting to fire the gun in order to save your life if you carry in C-3) - but why intentionally put yourself in that situation when you don't have to?

2. A jam or a negligent discharge upon loading is much less likely to be cause by human error when you have the opportunity to carefully, step by step, under controlled conditions load the gun and verify that it loaded properly. Regardless of how highly trained you are, mistakes are more likely to occur under stressful conditions rather than in a controlled environment.

3. Many concealed carry "experts" like to use the "element of surprise" as their favorite tactical buzz word. Seems to me like going through the motions of racking the slide after drawing your gun greatly reduces the "element of surprise".

4. What if you only have one hand free? You know, like you might be carrying a baby? Or times when one arm might be injured, especially if that arm is injured in the situation requiring self-defense. Oh, sure, you can train to rack the slide using the rear sight on your belt. At least the bad guy will be impressed with your skill and when he sees you pull that one off. First, in order for that to work your belt has to be exposed so if you are wearing anything that covers your belt and you need to rack the slide using your belt because you only have one hand free...can you visualize where this is going? Your going to end up looking like a circus juggler entertaining the bad guy that is about to do you great bodily harm which is the exact reason why you are in this predicament to begin with.

5. Any modern firearm that is not broken will not fire unless the trigger is pulled to the rear. If you can't keep the gun from discharging by not pulling the trigger to the rear when you don't want the gun to discharge, you don't need the "advanced" training that N R A likes to spout off about, you need more basic training in the safe handling of a firearm before you even think about "advanced" training to draw the gun and rack the slide on your belt.

6. The vast majority, well over 90%, of negligent discharges happen when the firearm is not in a proper holster. How hard is it to just keep the damn gun in the damn holster until such time as you need to point it at someone (or maybe an animal) that you intend to shoot? If you can't detect when someone is attempting to remove your gun from your holster, than the answer is not to carry C-3 - the answer is to get a better holster.

You are a complete and utter moron.

Do not shove your Impotent ideas off in "us".
If you are afraid to carry C1, then don't.
If you plan on C3 carry, please make sure you have been properly neutered first.

Link Removed

For those that might actually not know the disadvantages of condition 3 (which, for those that don't know means carrying a firearm with a loaded magazine inserted but no round in the chamber):

1. If your firearm should happen to jam upon loading the round in the chamber, under what conditions would you rather clear the jam? In the relative safety behind a locked door (usually in your home) where there is no immediate threat requiring the use of your gun? Or would you rather be forced to clear that jam in the heat of the moment after you have drawn your firearm because you feel an immediate threat that is requiring use of the gun within the next few seconds (if you are lucky) and with that threat to your life likely increasing with every tick of the clock. Sure, you can train to clear a jam in a second or two after detection of the jam (which might be when you are attempting to fire the gun in order to save your life if you carry in C-3) - but why intentionally put yourself in that situation when you don't have to?

2. A jam or a negligent discharge upon loading is much less likely to be cause by human error when you have the opportunity to carefully, step by step, under controlled conditions load the gun and verify that it loaded properly. Regardless of how highly trained you are, mistakes are more likely to occur under stressful conditions rather than in a controlled environment.

3. Many concealed carry "experts" like to use the "element of surprise" as their favorite tactical buzz word. Seems to me like going through the motions of racking the slide after drawing your gun greatly reduces the "element of surprise".

4. What if you only have one hand free? You know, like you might be carrying a baby? Or times when one arm might be injured, especially if that arm is injured in the situation requiring self-defense. Oh, sure, you can train to rack the slide using the rear sight on your belt. At least the bad guy will be impressed with your skill and when he sees you pull that one off. First, in order for that to work your belt has to be exposed so if you are wearing anything that covers your belt and you need to rack the slide using your belt because you only have one hand free...can you visualize where this is going? Your going to end up looking like a circus juggler entertaining the bad guy that is about to do you great bodily harm which is the exact reason why you are in this predicament to begin with.

5. Any modern firearm that is not broken will not fire unless the trigger is pulled to the rear. If you can't keep the gun from discharging by not pulling the trigger to the rear when you don't want the gun to discharge, you don't need the "advanced" training that N R A likes to spout off about, you need more basic training in the safe handling of a firearm before you even think about "advanced" training to draw the gun and rack the slide on your belt.

6. The vast majority, well over 90%, of negligent discharges happen when the firearm is not in a proper holster. How hard is it to just keep the damn gun in the damn holster until such time as you need to point it at someone (or maybe an animal) that you intend to shoot? If you can't detect when someone is attempting to remove your gun from your holster, than the answer is not to carry C-3 - the answer is to get a better holster.

What if's don't substitute for reducing unnecessary risks. What if you don't have time to get your weapon out of your holster is no reason to be walking around with your firearm in your hands in the ready position.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back