Concealed vs Open Carry Open Carry vs Concealed Carry

redboneshadow

Former Military Police
One of the things I appreciate about this site and the people here is the fact that it makes no difference if you open or conceal carry. Seems in this country there is this huge divide in most sites that demonize one or the other.

It is all the same right and that is what counts. One is not better than the other. They are the same. One over the other does not make you a better person or more secure. The bottom line is that we exercise this right.

Constitutional carry is a great idea and is catching on. Hope it continues. Just wanted to say thank you to all here who exercise this right they way YOU wish to.

It is all the same right and that is what counts. One is not better than the other. They are the same. One over the other does not make you a better person or more secure. The bottom line is that we exercise this right.

Constitutional carry is a great idea and is catching on. Hope it continues. Just wanted to say thank you to all here who exercise this right they way YOU wish to.

I absoultely agree with you on this one. The only real difference between open carry and concealed carry is that one guy tucks his shirt in behind the gun and the other guy wears his shirt over his gun.

One of the things I appreciate about this site and the people here is the fact that it makes no difference if you open or conceal carry. Seems in this country there is this huge divide in most sites that demonize one or the other.

I have to disagree on this, though. While you won't find many against concealed carry, you will find some pretty strong opposition to open carry on this forum.

I am always open to hearing the pro's and con's on any subject. It deals with perspective and there in lyes the differences.

As long as Man is Man, there will always be a group of people who see themselves as a higher(or elite) class over their fellow man. Open carry or Concealed carry, with in both groups you have a select few who seem themselves as better then the rest in their chosen group. The number one thing to ask yourself is "When push comes to shove can you take a human life?" If the answer is no or maybe, then you should think about the reason for carrying that firearm. Outside of using your firearm the most important thing to think about is what will happen after you use it.

While agree with you on this issue it is my own personal opinion that concealed carry makes you more safe. When teaching civilian tactical or personal protection classes we teach the "SSS" of winning the fight. They are "Stealth, Surprise and Skill." The goblin doesn't know I have it, when it comes out he's caught behind the reactionary curve and then your skill and training takes over with a controlled pair to upper COM.

I view it this way; if I'm going to take you down, Krav Maga style, I wouldn't announce that I'll first fold our knee back, cross check your throat with an elbow and then deliver a hammer strike to the back of the neck. As my dad always said... I'll take age and treachery over youth and balls anyday. Decorated WWII U.S. Naval Officer... God rest his soul - :)

There are plenty of places where open carry is wonderful but some I wouldn't recommend are inner city urban areas and ghetto areas. In places like Newburgh, NY (where there is one murder per month in a 2X2 mile city), you risk a stealth attack from eight or ten 15-year-old gang-bangers who hit from nowhere on all sides. Just too many to handle. Their only goal is to get that coveted gun. Since we can't open carry in NYS it hasn't happened but I have read about incidents where perps attacked as a swarm to get the gun.

Of course this is just my opnion and I would support anyone's desire to cary in any manner legal under the law.

BC Out.

Since we can't open carry in NYS it hasn't happened but I have read about incidents where perps attacked as a swarm to get the gun.

Of course this is just my opnion and I would support anyone's desire to cary in any manner legal under the law.

BC Out.

Would you please post where you have read of such incidents? I've been waiting for years now to read of these accounts for myself.

Most of the time I conceal carry but I have open carried ocasionally. There are many arguements on both sides as to which is better. Looking at this forum I think that just about every body has made their case. Personally I am glad to see ANYBODY open carry if they want even though I usually do not open carry. The way I see it is the 2nd amendment doesnt differentiate between open and concealed. By the way later today I am going hunting varmits at a friends ranch. In addition to my rifle I open carry a 38 special loaded with snake-shot in case I also run across a rattlesnake. And hello NavyLT.

I am like you. Plus i didn't know this was discussed before. Just saying. I just wanted to show my appreciation here for the site and the people that contribute. If we start segregating the 2nd Amendment we will end up with political parties just as we have now.

For me if I'm hunting I have no problem with open carry, after all it's obvious that I'm armed. That being said if I'm out on the street, why draw attention if it's not necessary. I prefer not to be the center of attention.

I usually carry concealed in Seattle. It is nice being able to choose. In sumer if i go for a walk i O/C just for the fact that a 1911 is a little tough to fully conceal and get to if needed. Winter no problem with a coat or a shoulder holster. I use common sense when i do O/C. Just to bad we have come to fear in this country over seeing legal gun owners with guns.

What makes no sense to me is people see cops with guns all the time. Yet they see a legal gun owner with a gun and they immediately think they are criminals. Criminals do not O/C and their concealment is usually stuffed in their pants. Lot of minds need to be desensitized in this state and city. Also no one freaks out if someone has a large pocket knife on their side. Just need to cut out all the crap and just botom line the whole thing.

I prefer to avoid drawing attention, so I am much more comfortable with CC. The option for OC is handy should my shirt ride up and expose my piece. It is a matter of personal preference. While OC is legal in WA State I would not want to carry openly when we go to Seattle. OTOH, no problem with OC of 6" N-Frame in a cop holster in the rural areas East of the Cascades or far South of the Megalopolis.

Would you please post where you have read of such incidents? I've been waiting for years now to read of these accounts for myself.
Just search on the number of police officers who have been killed with their own gun during a struggle.

Would you personally walk the ghetto or inner city with an exposed gun or would you rather have the advantage of surprise and stealth? Have you spent much time in one of these places? At night? I can't take the time to hunt down news reports but I'm sure if you search around you'll find plenty of cases where a persons gun has been taken away and used against them.

FYI I have walked at night in the bad areas of Seattle open carrying. Belltown ring a bell? Central dist. and Rainier valley. All done at night and during the day. Have concealed carried through the same as well. No problems. I do both and choose when to and when not to. It is the same right. It is up to the individual. If they feel comfortable then it is their decision. Most in my neighborhood know i am armed so it makes no difference. Side note, because they know this so do the criminals and the crime rate has dropped. My 2 cents worth.

With respect that you are a NRA instructor I am surprised that you do not validate O/C which is covered under the 2nd Amendment as well. Seems to be stating one way is better than the other sounds the way liberals think. Not saying that you are one of them. Just we need to accept the whole 2nd amendment and the way individuals choose to exercise that right. That is freedom and that is what the Constitution is all about.

Just search on the number of police officers who have been killed with their own gun during a struggle.

Would you personally walk the ghetto or inner city with an exposed gun or would you rather have the advantage of surprise and stealth? Have you spent much time in one of these places? At night? I can't take the time to hunt down news reports but I'm sure if you search around you'll find plenty of cases where a persons gun has been taken away and used against them.

So, there's no reports of Joe Citizen open carrying in normal, everyday life and, to quote, "perps attacked as a swarm to get the gun" has actually happened. Didn't think so. Nice try, though.

Nice fake try..... Now why dont you ACTUALLY ANSWER THE QUESTION?

With respect that you are a NRA instructor I am surprised that you do not validate O/C which is covered under the 2nd Amendment as well. Seems to be stating one way is better than the other sounds the way liberals think. Not saying that you are one of them. Just we need to accept the whole 2nd amendment and the way individuals choose to exercise that right. That is freedom and that is what the Constitution is all about.
:agree:

What makes no sense to me is people see cops with guns all the time. Yet they see a legal gun owner with a gun and they immediately think they are criminals. Criminals do not O/C and their concealment is usually stuffed in their pants. Lot of minds need to be desensitized in this state and city. Also no one freaks out if someone has a large pocket knife on their side. Just need to cut out all the crap and just botom line the whole thing.
In Arizona people can now carry concealed even without a permit,as long as they are of course, not a felon. Open carry has been legal for many years and practiced by many, most people here don't think twice when they see someone open carrying. Another great advantage is that all of the police in Arizona are well informed of the law and instructed not to harass or question anyone for OC, the way it should be everywhere.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back