concealed carry renewal

dan from ohio

I need alittle information on getting my CCW renewed.Let me explain,i have had it renewed 5 years ago but don,t know how to get it renewed a third time,any suggestions on how it must be done,thanks

First of all, how it is done in other states is irrelevant to how it is done in Ohio.

I received my CHL in May 2004 which was only the second month after Ohio's concealed carry law took effect. I did my first renewal in March 2008. I will need to do my second renewal in March 2013. I am waiting to see if House Bill 495 passes this week because it will have a major effect on how we do our second renewals.

As the law stands right now, a "competency certificate" is required for the second renewal. But the dunces in the Ohio General Assembly didn't define in the law exactly what a "competency certificate" requires, so instructors have no idea what to provide in order to issue such a certificate.

If HB 495 passes, a "competency certificate" will no longer be required and our second (and subsequent) renewals will be just like the first. We will simply fill out the form and our old license will be our proof of competence.

Since I am one of the earliest licensees in Ohio, surely your renewal date can't be any earlier then mine.

Here is the Ohio Attorney General's Concealed Carry manual which you were required by law to have read at least twice. Once when you applied for your license and a second time when you renewed. Pages 10-11 talk about the current renewal procedures.

Link Removed

If you are talking about renewal in PA I would strongly STRONGLY suggest that you visit the PA carry site; there are all sorts of issues that started up when the last batch of laws went through. I obtained my PA permit 6 years ago and it expired just after the new 'you have to do it in person and not by mail' law came into effect. The sherrif that I had dealt with for my original permit was quite happy to renew but the STATE POLICE refused to do a NICS check on me as I was living in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Even though this was just a renewal of a non-resident permit, even though I had a US Passport, even though I have permits from several other states, the STATE POLICE simply said on a yellow stick "We don't do Canada". I called and the sheriff apologized profusely and said that there was no rhyme nor reason for what he saw going on. I even called the state police and they wouldn't even speak with me. I called the Sheriff back and he was still apologizing and now telling me that I had to come in person for renewals anyway. So I did what I do best, I got online. Only to discover that there were sherrifs that would not issue non-resident permits at ALL! That those that did sometimes got NICS checks and provided the much needed "number" for the Sheriff issuing the permit. Even residents were having problems.

The bottom line is that if you are looking for a PA permit, resident or non-resident, you will find a list of Sheriffs on the PA forum and how good they are at issuing permits. Some will make it a two day trip (i.e. drop off the application and have your picture taken one day and come back two days later to pick it up); some will not issue at all; some will mail the permit to you although you must apply in person, an so on. I have other permits that work just fine in PA.

We are still living part of the year in Toronto and will be living the other half of the year in Florida or Arizona... at which point we will once again visit Florida, where we were 'stuck up at gunpoint' a few years ago. We cannot use our permit in Florida as they are non-resident permits from other states. Florida will not issue us a permit as we are not a resident of Florida YET (and I emphasize YET), nor a non-resident permit as we are not willing to tell a fib and tell them that we are living with a relative stateside, even though that's what one of their clerks suggested we do.

To be very very clear, I hold a US PASSPORT, etc., and consider myself one of WE THE PEOPLE. Apparently Florida and a few other states do not. Can't wait to see what Illinois considers me! (If anything at all).

HB 495 will help.

A quick call to the county sheriff will help you with the details. That is providing your county has even thought about what they are going to do with 2nd renewals because the state wasn't forth coming when they past the original law in defining proof of competency issues. If you can hold off until after HB 495 is passed and becomes law it will be a hole lot easier as your expiring license will serve as your competency requirement.

From Ohio site on Handgunlaw.us; An expired license will be accepted as prima-facie evidence that a person at one time took the training required for purposes of renewal. So the idea that a competency certificate being required, doesn’t sound like it’s needed, unless the Handgunlaw.us is way out of date.

HB 495 for Ohio has passed as of 12-13-2012 and will go to the governor for signing and he is in favor of any bill that is Pro-2nd Amendment. So it will just be a matter of time and your expiring state issued license will be all you need to renew your license. Along with this loaded magazines not in a firearm will not constitute a loaded weapon anymore, this is really a step up for Ohio. Glad to see this come about.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back