Concealed carry in workplace

junmard4th

Hi All! I worked in cell sites for different networks. Just recently, we just been notified of night time work and will be schedule solo due to resources and budget cuts. I asked my company if I can carry since I have a permit and my permit has reciprocity on the sites that I will be going, but, no one can give me a clear answer on policies. Some said I can't because cell sites are considered federal infrastrutures. Some said it's okay. But, either answer has documentation as basis. Though, I have seen few guys from another contracting company who concealed carry.
Maybe someone here can enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

Posted using my phone.

Just because something is regulated by a federal agency did not mean it is federal property. This is why you can legally carry into a bank provided it is not against state law. If it is legal in the state the site is located you are ok legally. I doubt you will ever get an official ok from your employer. At best it will be don't ask don't tell.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Thanks @cmjasper

Additional question, we are provided with a company truck, same as the issue on the concealed carry they have no clear policy on carrying while using there truck. Will I be in trouble if I will carry using company truck?

Posted using my phone.

For future reference you may wish to note the rather large can of worms you've opened with your employer.

What are you going to do if they tell you "No"?

Thanks @cmjasper

Additional question, we are provided with a company truck, same as the issue on the concealed carry they have no clear policy on carrying while using there truck. Will I be in trouble if I will carry using company truck?

Posted using my phone.

Your company MUST have a posted regulation governing your actions. IF NOT, let your conscience be your guide.

Does your company not have an employee handbook? Or go over any kind of rules when you were hired?

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

I was once told the nice this about a concealed weapon is that no one knows about it until you need it. At that point I'd be more concerned with my personal safety than company regs. It might cost you your job, but I'd prefer that to being dead...

Your company has to give guidance on their policy concerning weapons it work. I have had an employer tell me the official position is "no" but if I was working in the shop by myself at night, who would be there to notice.

My only point if hesitation stems from State law. In Ohio it is a felony if you are caught carrying, even with a valid CHL, anyplace it is prohibited. That includes private property and businesses (employer property, ie a truck) where is is posted as a no carry area per state law.

Hope I didn't ramble too much and this helps!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was once told the nice this about a concealed weapon is that no one knows about it until you need it. At that point I'd be more concerned with my personal safety than company regs. It might cost you your job, but I'd prefer that to being dead...

Your company has to give guidance on their policy concerning weapons it work. I have had an employer tell me the official position is "no" but if I was working in the shop by myself at night, who would be there to notice.

My only point if hesitation stems from State law. In Ohio it is a felony if you are caught carrying, even with a valid CHL, anyplace it is prohibited. That includes private property and businesses (employer property, ie a truck) where is is posted as a no carry area per state law. BULLCRAP!!!

Hope I didn't ramble too much and this helps!!

Know the law BEFORE you go off telling others about it.......

Good question about the "federal/not federal" site, and I agree with cmjasper on that one.
-
If you are positive that there is no policy, then your job shouldn't be in jeopardy for carrying. If they cared, there would be a policy. If you bring it up enough they may create a policy, which will probably lean more towards covering their a$$ than yours. That is the logic behind asking forgiveness rather than permission. A well placed "I'm sorry but there was nothing in the rule book and I have a permit" would probably get you past the initial "YOU'VE GOT A GUN???"

junmard4th
I recall an incident several years ago similar to yours where a LEO stopped to investigate an open cell site door during the night. Said technician heard a sound and drew his gun in prep to defend himself if there were thugs/thieves. In this case the thug was a cop who shot and killed the tech.
Be careful but carry, anyway.
Also, call the police in that locale beforehand to let them know that you will be working at a particular location so dispatch can warn off said patrol cop when he calls in his "out-of-car event". (they normally do this)
Additionally, if you happen to see a cop car in the area, flag him down and tell him what/where you will be doing.
Nothing wrong with playing it too safe.

Thanks @cmjasper

Posted using my phone.
Take a look at the handbook. If they have a violence policy post it here.

It sounds like he doesn't want to find the answer, just wants affirmation in what he all ready decided he was going to do...probably because he knows his company doesn't allow it...my guess.

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies - and vice-versa - Ask your employer no questions, and they'll tell you no lies either.

If it really isn't covered in the Employee Handbook (hard to imagine, but I suppose stranger things have happened), then quit asking questions and just do what makes you feel the most secure. "Secure" means personal security as well as job security. It's always a balancing test. Pick a side and then keep quiet about it.

Blues

It sounds like he doesn't want to find the answer, just wants affirmation in what he all ready decided he was going to do...probably because he knows his company doesn't allow it...my guess.

Pardon for the late reply.
Been working straight this week and just read the handbook again.
I have read the provision on acts for termination which is about few pages from the back cover. Possession of firearm, and even firecracker, while in company property including vehicle, can cause my job.
Anyhow, thanks for all of you who replied.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Pardon for the late reply.
Been working straight this week and just read the handbook again.
I have read the provision on acts for termination which is about few pages from the back cover. Possession of firearm, and even firecracker, while in company property including vehicle, can cause my job.
Anyhow, thanks for all of you who replied.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

There you go, you have got your answer. Now it's up to you to decide where you stand on following your companies policies or not.

Know the law BEFORE you go off telling others about it.......

If you would like, please educate me on the law. As of last fall, while speaking to my lawyer on this subject, I was informed if I am caught carrying in a no carry zone in Ohio I could be charged with a felony. A forth degree felony if I remember correctly.

EDIT...this got me thinking. I read the law my self and it's a 1st degree misdemeanor unless you've been previously convicted of carrying or "commits any act if violence."
ORC 2329.12 (F)(1)

I stand corrected and will be looking for a new attorney tomorrow!!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back