Concealed carry clothing misconceptions

GOV5

I am new to cc,so I come in with no pre-conceived notions about anything. I.E., common sense is the only info I have at my disposal at the moment. But sometimes, that's an advantage. In the case of what to wear, when to wear it, and what does it look like to others, I think may have an advantage over a long time carrier from another walk of life than my own.

First misconception:
A fanny pack screams CCW!
NO, it does not under any circumstances! Maybe to other CCW folks it does, but get out of your world for a few seconds. To the rest of the world, what do you think it looks like???? It looks like a FANNY PACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bikers, or motorcycle enthusiasts as they like to be called, wear fanny packs all the time, everywhere, while they are riding and walking around at rallies. They are usually clad in jeans and t-shirts, which only allow for the basic necessities to be carried, like wallet, keys, money clip, and change. A fanny pack helps them keep stuff like cell phones, cameras, extra batteries, etc. It's very functional, and a gun can be stored in there very easily, without anybody ever suspecting you are carrying.

Second misconception:

Summer limits my carry options:

Not if you dress appropriately. Again, I'll use my biker friends as example. Vests are used a LOT! Same reason as above. They are functional, even in summer. They allow extra carry space for biker "stuff". Most biker vests have an inside pocket big enough in which to carry a gun. They have outside pockets for cell phones and cameras too. And they are not too hot for summer wear either.

Coronado Leather makes a nice one. Here;s a link to another one:Link Removed

My primary is a 1911 frame .45. I carry this weapon all year. I carry in my lunch box, in my back pack, ITWB, OSTWB. I can conceal this weapon in the summer, wearing only shorts and a t-shirt comfortably. A tactical belt and ITWB holster, and it disappears.

I will walk for hours with my dogs, around many people. Even the ones who want to stop and talk. Has worked great for me. Being 5'7" & a solid, stocky 204lbs, That's no easy task for a large framed weapon. Experienced advice, trial & error, finding my position and style of carry.

If a fanny pack works for you, that's all that matters. There are many variables to concealed carry though, so you will probably need to periodically try new ways of carrying. You have to remember, those old ways of carrying, are old for a reason. They are tried and proven ways to successfully carry concealed.

I am Young, and have been carrying concealed for a couple years now. I have been around guns my whole life, and have grown up with a large Military Family. When I am offered advice I listen, and I will try it. This is how you will come to find what will work for you.

I have my ways, because of listening to the experieced, and choosing what works for me. Just keep an open mind to experienced carriers, and you will find what ways work best for you. Good luck, and Stay Safe.:big_boss:

i dont have any problems concealing this may work for you too. i carry a medium to small frame semi out sccy cpx-1. i use a uncle mikes iwb holster. i use it with shorts pants whatever i wear collered shirts and t shirts all the time even with shorts and a t shirt my weapon is eisily concealed the only problem i have had is a couple times when i have sit down my holster has wanted to come off my belt but a little push down and that is fixed. i am looking into the same kind of holster with a little better belt clip its metal instead of plastic. good luck finding what is best for you

A fanny pack is fine but I'm thinking drawing from it ain't gonna be easy if a BG has the drop on you and demands your wallet. Reaching behind your back to "get your wallet" when in fact you are actually getting your firearm works. I'm not sure digging into your fanny pack, which is typically located on the front of your body, will work as well - unless the BG is behind you, in which case it might work better. Of course, in a Luby's Cafeteria or Ft. Hood encounter a fanny pack would work just fine - because you're one in the crowd - assuming you're not one of the first targeted. Personally, I carry a small titanium .38+P 5-shot revolver in a Galco front pocket holster and I can wear it with the shortest shorts and a tee shirt. In situations where I think there might be trouble I can put my hand in my pocket and on the gun -ready to draw instantly - and it looks like a casual movement. Works in the hottest Texas summers.

I have an in the pants holster. With my Glock 23 in it and a t shirt not tucked in no one even sees it.This works with jeans and shorts !:yu:

It is possible to draw from a fanny pack quite fast if you practice quite a bit. What ever way one carries drawing and dry firing should be part of your training.

Bikers, or motorcycle enthusiasts as they like to be called, wear fanny packs all the time, everywhere, while they are riding and walking around at rallies.

Hmmm... Not in my experience. I've got a crapload of miles under my butt with 2-wheels and THIS "motorcycle enthusiast", at least, doesn't remember EVER seeing a 'biker' with a fanny pack. A bike peddler, maybe, but not a motorcyclist. I've been to any number of bike gatherings, from Hells Angels parties to more generic "yuppie"-style gatherings, and I really have to disagree with your observation...at least in this regard. I agree about the vests.

Hmmm... Not in my experience. I've got a crapload of miles under my butt with 2-wheels and THIS "motorcycle enthusiast", at least, doesn't remember EVER seeing a 'biker' with a fanny pack. A bike peddler, maybe, but not a motorcyclist. I've been to any number of bike gatherings, from Hells Angels parties to more generic "yuppie"-style gatherings, and I really have to disagree with your observation...at least in this regard. I agree about the vests.

Well, there you go. Your experiences are different from mine. I don't know what kind of "gatherings" you've been to, but obviously Bikeweek in Daytona isn't one of them. You can't walk a round Daytona anywhere and not see a fanny pack, in fact a lot of them. Now I will agree most of them are on females, but more and more I see them on men too, because in the summer you just don't have room for carrying cell phones, cameras, guns, cigars..cutters..lighters, without some extra room...room that a fanny pack allows.

Man, I can't believe you've NEVER seen a fanny pack at biker "gatherings", as you call them.

I'm not trying to promote the use of them. I just find that some times , they are a viable alternative for me. And BTW, the fanny pack is where I draw THE LINE. I'll wear one of them, but there ain't NO WAY I'm carrying a "man purse".! LOL!!

When I used to have my bike, I used a fanny pack frequently. There were numerous other bikers that wore them pretty much everywhere I attended. I also still use it on occassion at the races. It beats sitting on your wallet on stadium seating and losing your belongings won't happen.

Different people have different comfort levels for carrying in different ways. If a fanny pack works for you, go for it. They make packs with dedicated holsters to improve access to your weapon. Whatever holster works for you in whatever season is good. There's no prescribed way to go. Personally, if I find myself needing a higher level of concealment due to less clothes being worn, I switch to my mouse gun. I don't need to be carrying my Beretta 9000 or my 1911 Combat Commander which are my primary carry weapons to have peace of mind. My Kel Tec does just fine. Still, like I said, everybody's different and I condemn nobody for their preferences.

As the old song "Everyday People" said "Different strokes for different folks". That applies pretty well not only for guns but how you carry them.

to all,

i'd guess that it depends on what you CCW, but i carry 24/7/365, usually wearing "my uniform", a "tail out" GOLF SHIRT, jeans, cap & some kind of footwear. - my boss didn't know for well over a YEAR that i was CCW.
(my job is considered "craft", by our company's HR dept, rather than "professional", so i do NOT ever have to wear a coat/tie. = WOO HOO!)

my pistol is a 9mm Sig-Sauer P6 in a highrise OTB holster- a really flat package!

yours, TN46

A fanny pack is fine but I'm thinking drawing from it ain't gonna be easy if a BG has the drop on you and demands your wallet. Reaching behind your back to "get your wallet" when in fact you are actually getting your firearm works. I'm not sure digging into your fanny pack, which is typically located on the front of your body, will work as well - unless the BG is behind you, in which case it might work better. Of course, in a Luby's Cafeteria or Ft. Hood encounter a fanny pack would work just fine - because you're one in the crowd - assuming you're not one of the first targeted. Personally, I carry a small titanium .38+P 5-shot revolver in a Galco front pocket holster and I can wear it with the shortest shorts and a tee shirt. In situations where I think there might be trouble I can put my hand in my pocket and on the gun -ready to draw instantly - and it looks like a casual movement. Works in the hottest Texas summers.

Im thinkling that if a badguy has the drop on you and demands your wallet that you should just give it to them. I am not going to risk my life or the life of my family over what money i might or might not have with me at the moment. If you shoot someone that is attempting to rob you I hope that you can articulate that they are intending to harm you and not just take your money.

Im thinkling that if a badguy has the drop on you and demands your wallet that you should just give it to them. I am not going to risk my life or the life of my family over what money i might or might not have with me at the moment. If you shoot someone that is attempting to rob you I hope that you can articulate that they are intending to harm you and not just take your money.

If someone has the drop on me, I'm NOT going to try to pull a gun. That's suicide.

If someone has the drop on me, I'm NOT going to try to pull a gun. That's suicide.

my firearms instructor said a great quote to this effect when talking on this subject, he said "it's hard to outdraw a drawn weapon, even tha Duke had his limits"

i dont have any problems concealing this may work for you too. i carry a medium to small frame semi out sccy cpx-1. i use a uncle mikes iwb holster. i use it with shorts pants whatever i wear collered shirts and t shirts all the time even with shorts and a t shirt my weapon is eisily concealed the only problem i have had is a couple times when i have sit down my holster has wanted to come off my belt but a little push down and that is fixed. i am looking into the same kind of holster with a little better belt clip its metal instead of plastic. good luck finding what is best for you

I bought an Uncle Mike's nylon & plastic holster to use as a practice holster around the house while waiting for my CCW, mainly to see where I would want to carry, either IWB center back, right side, or somewhere in between (3:00-6:00 position). There is NO WAY I will actually use this thing to carry in public on a permanent basis. It moves around, my pistol changes cant on its own, and even fell out twice. I carry a S&W Sigma which even though is polymer/steel combo, when fully loaded with 14+1 has some significant weight. So the Uncle Mike's is definitely not for me. It served its purpose and helped me to determine where to carry but it now stays between my mattress and box spring where it holds my Sigma at night with the handle protruding enough to grab.

I have a Blackhawk Serpa and have ordered a Kholster. Those are my choices and like you stated, everyone has to find what works for them. The other options I considered were the Supertuck and having a local leather shop custom make me one, both options in the $75 price range. I caught the Kholster on sale for $39 and hopefully it works for me. If not, I'll probably go with the custom made.

I bought an Uncle Mike's nylon & plastic holster to use as a practice holster around the house while waiting for my CCW, mainly to see where I would want to carry, either IWB center back, right side, or somewhere in between (3:00-6:00 position). There is NO WAY I will actually use this thing to carry in public on a permanent basis. It moves around, my pistol changes cant on its own, and even fell out twice. I carry a S&W Sigma which even though is polymer/steel combo, when fully loaded with 14+1 has some significant weight. So the Uncle Mike's is definitely not for me. It served its purpose and helped me to determine where to carry but it now stays between my mattress and box spring where it holds my Sigma at night with the handle protruding enough to grab.

I have a Blackhawk Serpa and have ordered a Kholster. Those are my choices and like you stated, everyone has to find what works for them. The other options I considered were the Supertuck and having a local leather shop custom make me one, both options in the $75 price range. I caught the Kholster on sale for $39 and hopefully it works for me. If not, I'll probably go with the custom made.

You picked the bottom end of the litter for a pocket holster. there are many good pocket holsters out there that do work. Some are in nylon and some are in leather, but they don't move around.

I bought a Hunter leather belt holster one time for my Colt King Cobra. it didn't conceal for crap and the gun was hard to get out of the holster. So don't buy leather belt holsters, right?

We design and Manufacture our OWN clothing. We have rave reviews on it because it doesnt scream "Hey I am carrying". Some of our customers are those that dont carry, they just love our leather! But you should always feel comfortable in how your carry, no matter what medium you use!

(Shameless plug) We just launched our own calf skin vest today. Brand New for 2010. If Leather is what you like, then our "Austin" Calf skin Tactical concealment vest is a must have. This keeps your firearm handy, snug with built in commercial holsters. (one on each side) to double carry. YKK zippers and FOUR inside pockets PLUS Two extra deep concealment pockets with built in holster on each side come standard. Concealment Pocket is closed with an easy commercial grade button. This is a perfect year round vest to throw over a tshirt. Very easily layered and is breathable with all fabrics. The Calf Skin is nice and tactical in weight and the grains are buffed out to give it a superb appearance. Only Premium Materials are used on this jacket.

Pics can be viewed at: Link Removed

Re: Waist packs and other methods

Waist packs are not just for 'sissies' or people who are out-of-date'. I see them ALL THE TIME. I know plenty of bikers that use them. I see them at the park with MP-3 players in them. At the health club... cyclists.... I see them with cameras in them ALL THE TIME.
I wrote this comment to another thread...

Regarding concealed carry…
I've been cc for about 16 years now. Here's the problem I see with these conversations;
We all come from different backgrounds and lifestyles. Some people get away with a photographer's vest. You wouldn't catch me dead in one because it's not my personality. Some people like leather vests and 'biker clothing'- that would never work for me, because it's not my personality type, not the crowd I hang out with, or the environment I hang out in. Some people like an untucked plaid shirt, like Playboy wears. Not my type. My point is that each person is unique.
During the winter, I most often wear a Navy flight jacket, or a North Face polar fleece, and occasionally a sweatshirt. During the warmer months, like now, I wear polo shirt and a sport coat ('blazer') or a button-down dress shirt and a sport coat. When temps get over 80 degrees, the sport coat must go away. Many people reading this comment would say that they wouldn't be caught dead in these outfits.

I bought several Crossbreed Super Tuck and Kholsters. (For those who don't know what Crossbreed and Kholsters are, they are tuckable IWB holsters. This means that you can tuck pretty much any shirt between the gun and pants, with only the metal clips showing. Unless someone REALLY knows what to look for, they won't know that you have a gun. Some of us just can't wear ANYTHING untucked). I bought some Aloha shirts ('Hawaiian shirts') at Wal-Mart for about $10.00 each, that are not bright/loud/obnoxious. They are khaki tan, slate blue, muted green, black...and those are the only thing I can wear untucked, as long as I wear my Crossbreed or Kholster with the leather to protect my ribs from 'slide bite'.

The nice thing about the Crossbreed/Kholster type thing is that the leather backing will protect your ribs and it can be worn tucked or untucked, with any type of clothing, any environment, any crowd, etc. The guy with the business suit can wear it just as easily as Larry the Cable Guy, and just as easily as any biker, etc. With IWB, you almost always need to buy pants one size larger than you normally wear. That's just a fact. IWB also means that not only the belt, but the pants, too, will help support the weight of the gun and accessories.

The other great idea is Thunderwear/Smart Carry. I have a hard time with the velcro straps biting my skin in the back. I went to Goodwill and Salvation Army and bought some girls' jeans, cut off the legs, and slip it over the straps once I have them secured. Sleeves from an old heavy cotton shirt also work for this. For people with large bellies, Thunderwear/Smart Carry is difficult to present the gun from, never mind when sitting down. The upside is that, unless your are in a nudist colony, it has its merits. Once again, make sure you buy pants (or skirt) at least one size larger than normal. If you buy your trial clothes from Goodwill/Salvation Army and don't like them, you're only out a couple of bucks (as opposed to Sax/Nordstrom/Macy's).

Waist packs are great. I still see them all over the place in Colorado, and in Florida. There are some places where this would be totally unacceptable. A dress shirt and pants won't work with a waist pack. For those sticking up your nose at waist packs, yes, they are coming back into style. Go to your local camera store and get a patch that says Canon, Olympus, Kodak, etc. Get a patch that says Harley Davidson if you fit into the biker crowd. Get a patch with something like Adidas, Nike, etc if you fit into the sports crowd. Have someone sew these onto your pack. Most outsiders will likely not see anything that looks out-of-place.

I think that's all I have for you now. I hope that I helped at least one person, if not many. Stay safe, be well, may the Force be with you, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Pocket holsters are ok for smaller guns, but don't carry keys and change in the same pocket, even with a pocket holster. Wallet holsters are available for Kel-Tec P3-AT and Ruger LCP. (BTW: I'm not a fan of .22/.25 pistols. I was shot with one and all it did was piss me off.) I carry my BUG (Ruger LCP) is a wallet holster right next to my actual wallet. It's slim enough that I can make it work.
Soft nylon holsters are trouble- if they collapse inward as they do with age, they can activate the trigger. There's a thread somewhere in USACarry that mentions someones experience with that. OUCH! Soft leather holsters are just as much of a menace.
Shoulder holsters and cross-draw holsters- the Miami Vice-type holsters point at whomever is right behind you, and when you present your gun, you will sweep your own arm, unless you've had special training for cross-draw. That is discussed somewhere in USAC also. (yes, the guy shot himself.) Waist packs can be dangerous, too, because of this same reason.
Some people reading this know all of this stuff- my comments here are aimed at (yes, pun) new cc people and those with stereo types. I hope some of this helped at least one person.

Q. What do people typically put in fanny packs?
A. Valuables, car and house keys, wallets(with ID'Si.e. your name, address, pictures of the people who live there) guns.

Q. If you were a street thug, what is the first thing you would take from your victims?
A. Their bag of valuables. i.e. fanny pack.

Q. If a crook has the drop on you, and you have a gun in your fanny pack, are you going to give up your fanny pack, with a gun and your address, and your house keys in it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back