Citizen makes arrest in Skyway shooting

Rich M

What do you make of this? How many of you carry them? and why?

SKYWAY, Wash. -- Police say an armed citizen helped arrest a man who shot another man late Saturday in the Skyway neighborhood south of Seattle.

King County sheriff's Sgt. John Urquhart said the victim was shot just before 9 p.m. during an argument in the parking lot of the US Bank branch at 12610 76th Avenue South.

A man not involved in the dispute who was using the ATM at the bank pulled out his own gun and pointed it at the shooter, Urquhart said.

Urquhart said the man is licensed to carry the weapon and also had handcuffs with him, although he is not a member of law enforcement.

By the time police arrived, the Good Samaritan already had the suspected shooter cuffed and disarmed.

"That's very unusual, very surprising, and not recommended," Urquhart said of the citizen who intervened. "This guy did a great job, but we don't recommend doing that. You certainly do that at your own risk."

The man who was shot was taken to Harborview Medical Center with serious injuries, but he is expected to survive.

Investigators are looking into whether a dispute over drugs may have prompted the shooting.

Link Removed

"That's very unusual, very surprising, and not recommended," Urquhart said of the citizen who intervened. "This guy did a great job, but we don't recommend doing that. You certainly do that at your own risk."

Without a doubt, this good samaritan took a great risk in helping the injured person. It makes me proud, however, to know that a private citizen took action given the state of affairs in this country. Most would have turned away and cleared the area. No one wants to get involved. We don't seem to want to help each other anymore. Fear of reprisal? Who knows? Anyway, I'll bet the injured person was glad someone helped save his bacon.

Carrying handcuffs? Really? - That is truly unusual! He's there and he doesn't know if the BG is going to come after him. He stops him. OK. I'll buy that part.
I've carry my gun, spare mag, and some other stuff. But handcuffs too?

Mall-ninja-cop-wannabee-cuff-packing idiot. Lucky this time.

Good thing the bad guy didn't take advantage of the moment and resist while the mall ninja was attempting to hook him up. This might have ended differently.

Holding a bad guy-great! Hooking him up? Thats a real risk that only cop wannabees do.

-Doc

Me and my gun (hmm, maybe the title for the next great song?) are going to protect me and my family. Only. Gabe Saurez wrote a great piece in that regard and if it's good 'nuff for him then it's good 'nuff for me and am glad such a notable person as that agrees!

If a person I don't know is being delt with violently by another then my weapon to help will be my cell phone. Many will disagree and that's fine, to each his or her own.

I used to work as an armed guard at a nuclear plant. I was fully trained to handcuff someone. Maybe this guy was trained. Either way, i'm glad he didnt turn and run. He was someones hero that day

I agree with you OPENCARRYYES, I am trained also on take down and handcuffing an bg. I think people can make any choice they want in a situation like this but I'm sure if the roles were with their kids or family member they would be grateful and not so hard on this guy. We know nothing of his training. I keep my cuffs in my car.

Citizen's Arrest is a dicey, often mythical, legal concept at best.

Cuff the wrong person=prison!

Start hooking up someone who then resists and you might just lose your gun and your life.

If you hold the BG, let the cops do the hookup!

You risk a whole load of legal trouble when you restrain someone!

-Doc

This one ended well, very high risk of going sideways due to BG, other armed citizens who missed the first part, and very militarized police presence.

Carrying handcuffs? Really? - That is truly unusual! He's there and he doesn't know if the BG is going to come after him. He stops him. OK. I'll buy that part.
I've carry my gun, spare mag, and some other stuff. But handcuffs too?
I have a set of hand ties in my handbag, the kind they use in airplanes, not actually a handcuff. Some airline pilots in the group will know what I am talking about...My husband gave it to me just in case it might be needed. I am too short to cuff a big man but I have my gun at all times...and cell phone.

Who is qualified?

Why is the assumption always that the only people with the skill set to prevent criminal behaviour are LEOs? Why is it not ok to step in and help another human being in trouble - whether it be getting out of their depth in water or being monstered by some maniac?
If someone is having a coronary episode shouldn't you administer CPR - otherwise why did they bother teaching that to us at grade school? Sure you can look out only for yourself if you wish, but some may want to extend that to their family - or their dog -or the little old lady that lives across the street - or fellow human beings (even if they are strangers).

I don't like the idea of criticising someone who does get off their ass to do something.

Why is the assumption always that the only people with the skill set to prevent criminal behaviour are LEOs? Why is it not ok to step in and help another human being in trouble - whether it be getting out of their depth in water or being monstered by some maniac?
If someone is having a coronary episode shouldn't you administer CPR - otherwise why did they bother teaching that to us at grade school? Sure you can look out only for yourself if you wish, but some may want to extend that to their family - or their dog -or the little old lady that lives across the street - or fellow human beings (even if they are strangers).

I don't like the idea of criticizing someone who does get off their ass to do something.

One of the more sane replies I've read. Too many assumptions are being made about what happened, who this guy really is, and the circumstances that truly invoked him to react.

If you carry, you should carry to protect and preserve life...don't be selfish and not think of others who can benefit from your tools, training and mindset. If you carry, you carry only after you have trained...don't be fearful that you will not do the right thing when the right thing is to react as you have trained. If your so afraid of the legal ramifications from getting involved when you carry, maybe you should reconsider carrying - that alone is full of responsibilities and ramifications.

When an ordinary person carries, it is to have a weapon for self defense as a last resort.

It is NOT to become an informal, one man, police force. Hence, carrying police gear puts you in a gray legal realm. It opens up the question "Why are you packing handcuffs? Do you plan to arrest someone? Are you a cop poser?"

You have NO duty to intervene in third party disputes. You are NOT there to arrest BG's who might otherwise get away.

If you think your CCW gives you the right to be all these things, maybe you need to wear your CCW badge openly at all times!

-Doc.

Im not trained to detain. I dont carry my cuffs. They are a child hood remnant of when my father was an MP. Polished and in the drawer.

If I were in the same parking lot where a guy just got shot... hell yea I'll be pulling mine! I would have to be satisfied to hold the perp at gun point and have someone sit on his ass or something. I think it takes a pretty bold mind set to carry cuffs to but Im not familiar with his neighborhood (rumors of it being a bad place) or training either.

Im glad the guy stepped in. If it were me... yea, some back up would be nice and I would provide the same if I thought the risk was acceptable. Im not personally experienced with this so its really hard to say.

When an ordinary person carries, it is to have a weapon for self defense as a last resort.

It is NOT to become an informal, one man, police force. Hence, carrying police gear puts you in a gray legal realm. It opens up the question "Why are you packing handcuffs? Do you plan to arrest someone? Are you a cop poser?"

You have NO duty to intervene in third party disputes. You are NOT there to arrest BG's who might otherwise get away.

If you think your CCW gives you the right to be all these things, maybe you need to wear your CCW badge openly at all times!

-Doc.

Doc, I have to respectfully disagree with you. I think you are confusing duty with right. No I haven't a duty to arrest bad guys, however I do have the legal right to do so. It's not contingent on a CCW permit
You don't need a badge, CCW, or even your cape to do that. Its a tradition in Common Law and many states have affirmed it in the legal code. That's where the right comes from. It doesn't make it the smart thing to do, necessarily, but that's a judgement call to be made by the people on the scene. As to handcuffs; that's risky; physically & civilly. What if he claims you damaged him, used unnecessary force, etc.? You could end up spending your savings defending yourself against a BS claim. As to the grey area of restraint if it's a legal bust, restraint is OK. If not, you can be charged will illegal detention or even kidnapping if they want to get nasty about it. It usually varies from state to state in the specifics regarding misdemeanor vs felony busts.
So, bottom line: Legal? Yes. Smart? No!

"Citizen's Arrest is a dicey, often mythical, legal concept at best.

Cuff the wrong person=prison!

Start hooking up someone who then resists and you might just lose your gun and your life.

If you hold the BG, let the cops do the hookup!

You risk a whole load of legal trouble when you restrain someone!

-Doc"

"You risk a whole load of legal trouble when you restrain someone!"

Agreed! But then you risk a lot of trouble when you pull your gun also. They are both dot-the-eye and cross-the-T moments.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back