Charlotte NC, Police shoot and kill man seeking help after wreck

Man apparently seeking help killed by Charlotte police - CNN.com

Police in North Carolina shot and killed a man running toward them Saturday morning -- but he may have just been looking for help after a car wreck.

Police have charged Officer Randall Kerrick with voluntary manslaughter -- a felony. He turned himself in Saturday afternoon and was being held early Sunday on a $50,000 bond.

Police used "charged" and "ran" and "advanced" in their description of what Ferrell did.
There were three officers at the scene, but Kerrick was the only one to use a gun.

He fired 12 times, hitting the guy 10 times AFTER he had been tasered. That number of rounds is probably what got him charged. I doubt they'll find the guy was still a threat after being hit 10 times.

The cops aren't the cause, they're just a symptom. If those like Daley and Obama CARED what they did, there wouldn't be the problem that there is. They're useful tools who are allowed certain "perqs" (like robbery and rape) in order to buy a certain amount of loyalty.

To be perfectly honest with you, apart from an asteroid impact, I'm not sure there IS a solution.

Chicago reminds me of Somalia in a lot of ways. It has a deeply entrenched culture of class and group privilege, wholly divorced from normal concepts of human decency and empathy.
  • Whites hate Blacks.
  • Blacks hate Jews.
  • Mexicans hate Puerto Ricans.
  • Police prey upon the "un-clouted".
  • The city "government" preys on everybody.
  • Street gangs (nevermind the Mob) are an integral part of the system and have deeply penetrated both city "government" and the police.
Chicago is way overdue for a terrorist attack like the one in Kenya. Maybe in the aftermath, there'll be enough Federal attention to clean things up... but certainly not until the current regime in Washington is gone. Of course that leaves the Chicagoans themselves. They LIKE things the way they are. Otherwise they wouldn't have kept voting to keep them that way for the last 100+ years.

Here's another opinion on it. Much like you said, plus a little more. Mostly blaming mexican drug cartels. And I don't find that surprising, just a little surprised that it's so entrenched that far north. I guess I just thought of that being more in border states. Obviously I don't get out much. At least not to bigger cities.

Noonie G | Drug Trade | Chicago | Violence

Here's another opinion on it. Much like you said, plus a little more. Mostly blaming mexican drug cartels. And I don't find that surprising, just a little surprised that it's so entrenched that far north. I guess I just thought of that being more in border states. Obviously I don't get out much. At least not to bigger cities.
Chicago's always had a large Mexican-American and Mexican immigrant population, at least since I was a small child in the '60s.

My father had Mexican friends when I was a kid, and I had Mexican classmates and friends in high school. A friend from Boston was baffled by the huge numbers of Mexicans, as opposed to the Puerto Ricans he expected to find.

Formerly ethnic White neighborhoods where it was dangerous for a Black person to go are now nearly 100% Mexican.

As an interesting (and typically racially tinged) aside, a coalition of Blacks, Mexicans and liberal Whites (particularly Jews) combined to get Harold Washington elected as the first Black mayor in Chicago. Washington died in office and was temporarily replaced by a Black acting mayor. The replacement immediately got off on the right foot by being discovered to have an aid distributing Farrakhan style audio tapes claiming that Jewish doctors were "intentionally infecting Black children with AIDS". "Chicago Magazine" interviewed some aldermen about the situation, one of whom stated that the accusations were "plausible". This combined with double crossing of the Mexican political apparatus led to the loss of the mayor's office and Richard M. Daley's banana republic style dictatorship for the next twenty plus years.

To paraphrase the movie "Chinatown", "Forget it Jake, it's Chi-town..."

Chicago's always had a large Mexican-American and Mexican immigrant population, at least since I was a small child in the '60s.

My father had Mexican friends when I was a kid, and I had Mexican classmates and friends in high school. A friend from Boston was baffled by the huge numbers of Mexicans, as opposed to the Puerto Ricans he expected to find.

Formerly ethnic White neighborhoods where it was dangerous for a Black person to go are now nearly 100% Mexican.

As an interesting (and typically racially tinged) aside, a coalition of Blacks, Mexicans and liberal Whites (particularly Jews) combined to get Harold Washington elected as the first Black mayor in Chicago. Washington died in office and was temporarily replaced by a Black acting mayor. The replacement immediately got off on the right foot by being discovered to have an aid distributing Farrakhan style audio tapes claiming that Jewish doctors were "intentionally infecting Black children with AIDS". "Chicago Magazine" interviewed some aldermen about the situation, one of whom stated that the accusations were "plausible". This combined with double crossing of the Mexican political apparatus led to the loss of the mayor's office and Richard M. Daley's banana republic style dictatorship for the next twenty plus years.

To paraphrase the movie "Chinatown", "Forget it Jake, it's Chi-town..."

So do you think it's a lost cause? If not, what can be done? I'm not saying it will ever be a vacation city for families, but what would be the best scenario for city government? A mixture of ethnic backgrounds? All black, all hispanic? I wouldn't even suggest all white. A city near me has about 4 councilmen who take turns being mayor for a year at a time. The whole city elects them and they stay until they're voted out or die. Would something like that work?
Do you think it will eventually end up like Detroit? Or is the money still there?

So do you think it's a lost cause? If not, what can be done? I'm not saying it will ever be a vacation city for families, but what would be the best scenario for city government? A mixture of ethnic backgrounds? All black, all hispanic? I wouldn't even suggest all white. A city near me has about 4 councilmen who take turns being mayor for a year at a time. The whole city elects them and they stay until they're voted out or die. Would something like that work?
Do you think it will eventually end up like Detroit? Or is the money still there?
Sociological research has shown that when you have the poor and the wealthy living in very close proximity to each other, that is one thing that breeds crime. In Detroit you have some of the United States' most wealthy individuals living in Grosse Points, and all that divide them from the rest of the super poor is a giant wall. It doesn't sound like to me that Chicago has that same thing going on, but rather a different issue. What that issue is I don't know.

So do you think it's a lost cause?
I think it was a lost cause before I was born and I'll be fifty six in December.

People in Chicago not only like it the way it is, they're PROUD of it. Why WOULD they change?

No, I think it'll eventually end up like Mogadishu or Sadr City.

• When the wealthy see nothing left to extract, they'll leave.
  • When the money leaves, there won't be even the pretense of police "protection" anymore.
  • When the police are purely theoretical, a city already divided into racial, ethnic and religious territories will be taken over by "militias"... which is what the bigger gangs have always been. They've always had political ambitions. They're starting to realize them now.

Sociological research has shown that when you have the poor and the wealthy living in very close proximity to each other, that is one thing that breeds crime. In Detroit you have some of the United States' most wealthy individuals living in Grosse Points, and all that divide them from the rest of the super poor is a giant wall. It doesn't sound like to me that Chicago has that same thing going on, but rather a different issue. What that issue is I don't know.

Detroit sounds like the original Berlin with economics instead of politics.

I think it was a lost cause before I was born and I'll be fifty six in December.

People in Chicago not only like it the way it is, they're PROUD of it. Why WOULD they change?

I guess it really is a lost cause then. And if they're actually proud of it, it's probably permanent.

No, I think it'll eventually end up like Mogadishu or Sadr City.

• When the wealthy see nothing left to extract, they'll leave.
  • When the money leaves, there won't be even the pretense of police "protection" anymore.
  • When the police are purely theoretical, a city already divided into racial, ethnic and religious territories will be taken over by "militias"... which is what the bigger gangs have always been. They've always had political ambitions. They're starting to realize them now.

Then it's probably going to get even worse. That's really too bad. I'm sure there's a lot of good people there even in the worst of places. Probably a lot who just can't afford to move even if they want to.

Then it's probably going to get even worse. That's really too bad. I'm sure there's a lot of good people there even in the worst of places. Probably a lot who just can't afford to move even if they want to.
It's probably more bizarre and surreal than you imagine or even COULD imagine.

When I went back for the first time, my mother drove me around to the places where we and relatives used to live.

We headed east toward the lake under the "el" tracks. I forget which street it is, but after a certain point, the tracks just STOPPED... IN MID-AIR. She said that Daley just closed the line at that point and tore down the tracks. All of the low income housing that had been in that neighborhood and beyond, was gone, replaced by lofts and other "gentrified" homes. To live in "the hood" now, you needed to make $150,000 a year. Daley made sure that the "el" no longer went to the lake (and through these neighborhoods) to keep the people who fail the "paper bag test" from easily getting there.

Contemporary Chicago is what you'd get if David Duke, Louis Farrakhan and Clive Barker got together to create their "ideal" world. It's only missing the Cenobites.

Give it a couple of years...

It's probably more bizarre and surreal than you imagine or even COULD imagine.

When I went back for the first time, my mother drove me around to the places where we and relatives used to live.

We headed east toward the lake under the "el" tracks. I forget which street it is, but after a certain point, the tracks just STOPPED... IN MID-AIR. She said that Daley just closed the line at that point and tore down the tracks. All of the low income housing that had been in that neighborhood and beyond, was gone, replaced by lofts and other "gentrified" homes. To live in "the hood" now, you needed to make $150,000 a year. Daley made sure that the "el" no longer went to the lake (and through these neighborhoods) to keep the people who fail the "paper bag test" from easily getting there.

Contemporary Chicago is what you'd get if David Duke, Louis Farrakhan and Clive Barker got together to create their "ideal" world. It's only missing the Cenobites.

Give it a couple of years...

Well, you've convinced me. It's not on my list of places I want to visit. And actually no big city is. I've been to some and not only would I not want to live in them, I wouldn't even go back to visit again. I don't like driving in them, live in fear of getting lost in one, and generally just don't care much for crowds of people.

You probably left out Che Guevara too. Love Clive Barker's novels though and Cenobites would be better than any of those other ones.

Yeah, I know this is an older thread, but I was going through old bookmarks trying to separate and categorize into easier-to-understand-what-they-are-about order when Link Removed to the story linked in the OP of this thread.

So Officer Kerrick responds to a false report of an attempted breaking and entering of an occupied dwelling. All evidence after the fact points to Kerrick's dead victim, Jonathan Ferrell, getting in a severe car crash, sustaining injuries and knocking on the door of the first house he came to in search of medical help. The woman at the home thought it was her husband and opened the door to find a 24-year-old college football player large black man begging for help, and she freaked out, closed the door, hit her "panic button" to her alarm company, called 911 giving them the fals B&E report, and ignored the man outside who was simply and innocently repeating his need for medical help. Cops respond, injured man approaches with hands extended and nothing in them, sees red-dot lasers appear on his chest, says, "wait...wait...wait!" and then 12 rounds are fired from one cop's gun, 10 of them hitting the victim, killing him. Other cops on-scene took extremely unusual action of telling the truth that the victim was no threat to anyone. Killer cop is charged with manslaughter. As of the last post before this one in this thread, these were all the known facts of the case.

Kerrick not only got away with killing the young victim, not by way of acquittal mind you, but by way of a mistrial that the prosecutor refused to re-try, but he also successfully sued the Charlotte, SC PD and received over $100K in back-pay for the time off he was forced to take while under indictment and during his freakin' manslaughter trial! The killer cop was free and clear from all responsibility for the non-compliant-with-department-policies on use of deadly force killing in 2015.

The thin blue line extends into all prosecutors' offices across this country. There is no such thing as justice in this country as long as the victim(s) are non-sworn civilians and the defendant(s) are sworn civilians. No surprise to me. I've been saying the same kinds of things with blatant examples like this one to back them up since long before I ever registered on this site.

I just thought Jonathan Ferrell deserved to have the injustice done to him and his family acknowledged, and a period put on this thread's topic. RIP Mr. Ferrell.

Blues

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back