CCW Permit Badge and Holder R They Legal?

Comes in and on his very first post digs up a5 YEAR old thread and starts a fight.

Gotta wonder

Didn't mean to start a fight. Just meant to lend my opinion. I thought that's what the purpose of a forum is. And I didn't "dig up" this thread - didn't even realize it was old. I was doing a search on something and this thread popped up on Google.

This thread comes up about once a year and the general consensus is, it is a bad idea to tell everybody that you are carrying. kind of like an under cover spy wearing a tee shirt that says "I am and under cover spy" If you want everybody to know carry open.

You (and perhaps the others) clearly misunderstood what I wrote in my first post. I do NOT walk around with an exposed CCW badge around my neck. It is hidden under my shirt - concealed just like my gun(s). I would only pull it out if I found myself in an active shooter situation where I was forced to draw my gun. Even in a situation where I was mugged and had to use my gun, I would NOT pull that badge out. Only in an active shooter situation.

This will be my last post in this topic area (so those that wish to can feel free to continue insulting me). I am sorry for my late response to those earlier attacks and insults (I'm not referring to SR9's or several other's calm, rational and polite replies - those are appreciated). I just haven't been back to this forum since (and if some of the responses to what I originally wrote are indicative of the typical attitude here, I doubt I'll continue coming back - life's too short to wade in mud for no reason).

Didn't mean to start a fight. Just meant to lend my opinion. I thought that's what the purpose of a forum is. And I didn't "dig up" this thread - didn't even realize it was old. I was doing a search on something and this thread popped up on Google.

Aaaaaaaannnnnnndddddddd he comes back three years later and does it again

You (and perhaps the others) clearly misunderstood what I wrote in my first post. I do NOT walk around with an exposed CCW badge around my neck. It is hidden under my shirt - concealed just like my gun(s). I would only pull it out if I found myself in an active shooter situation where I was forced to draw my gun. Even in a situation where I was mugged and had to use my gun, I would NOT pull that badge out. Only in an active shooter situation.

This will be my last post in this topic area (so those that wish to can feel free to continue insulting me). I am sorry for my late response to those earlier attacks and insults (I'm not referring to SR9's or several other's calm, rational and polite replies - those are appreciated). I just haven't been back to this forum since (and if some of the responses to what I originally wrote are indicative of the typical attitude here, I doubt I'll continue coming back - life's too short to wade in mud for no reason).

The law is very specific in my state. I must advise I am armed during official interaction with a LEO. If asked I must present my CHP and photo ID when asked by the LEO. They are not going to accept a tin badge in lieu of an actual carry permit.

Whether they're legal or not, what's the point of concealing at all if you're displaying a badge that tells the world you're concealing? Dumb.

I welcome my new brother badge holder. For too long I have been the lone voice of those brave souls who carry CCW shields and patrol the street every day.

I carry FIVE CCW BADGES>

Badge #1 is kept in the center of my Tri-Fold Wallet, so that when I display it, it is accented by my CCW permit on the left, and my Players Club Gold Card on the right (which entitles me to great discounts on food, entertainment, and accomodations throughout the world, baby).

Badge #2 is kept clipped to my belt on my right hip in front of my main carry piece, A Ruger Super Redhawk chambered in .480 Ruger with it's 3-9X50 scope.

Badge #3 is proudly displayed on my left hip in front of my backup piece, my trusty .500 Smith&Wesson.

Badge #4 is glued to the holster on my right ankle, where you will find my trusty, though under-powered, Cold Combat Commander.

Badge #5 is likewise attached to the holster on my left ankle, where you will find my GUN-OF-LAST-RESORT. a mere Colt Python chambered for the impotent .357 Magnum cartridge.

(I know what you are thinking. 'Here is a well-armed man. But how does he conceal all of those?' It is simple. I have a photographers vest to conver the waist-guns. Since I am 5'8" tall and 340 impressively molded pounds, I have the vests made special. The ankle guns are covered by cargo pants in the summer, or thick woolen hunting socks when I wear shorts. When loungin on the beach, I use a mumu to cover it all. Ammunition is, of course, carried in two fanny packs. One pack on the fanny. Another above the groin. When I venture into bad parts of town, I pull extra ammo behind me in a red wagon.)

I carry the badge(s) because i feel the decent people of this community have a right to know who is protecting them. The badge allows me to do this legally. You see, it is illegal to brandish a concealed weapon, but not illegal to show a CCW badge. CASE IN POINT....... I was at a quickie mart the other day paying for some canned chili and a mountain dew when four young holligans entered the store. As the clerk sacked my light snack, I pulled Badge #1 and showed it to him. When his worried eyes caught mine, I gave him a nod. A small nod to be sure, but one weighted with meaning. "I'll be in the parking lot," I told him, "Until this situation is resolved." I then exited the store and stood by my 77 Thunderbird eating cold chili out of the can until the street gang had departed. Heaven knows what those punks might had done had it not been for the presence of a Gold-Shielded-CCWer.

But I am only one man! Yes, a highly trained and well armed man who has studied six martial arts both in-person and through videos. But still I am just one man. What if there had been sixteen punks instead of four?

The answer is simple. I would have gone outside and found three more trusty citizens (my keen eye allows me to know who is truly trustworthy) and deputized them all as emergency Gold-Shield-CCWers. Happily, I would have had guns and badges for them all. Then we all would have stood in that parking lot ready to intervene against the lawless tsunami of laewlessness churning in the store. And, believe me, I had plenty of handcuffs and zip-ties with me for securing such a mob!

There is one more reason I carry the badge; it makes the police feel safer!

You jest? Think about it........... Even the best police officers are too burdened with their daily duties to truly master the warrior arts. What cop has time to study the deeper martial meanings hinted at by the late David Carradine in 'Kung Fu'? What cop has learned the Dim Mak. And what cop is allowed to carry a Ruger Super RedHawk? Cops can't - I can.

I think tomorrow I will drive out and find a policeman. Then I'll casually whip open my vest and let him see my Ruger Super Redhawk with my gold CCW shield in front of that. When his admiring eyes meet mine, I'll give him that same pregnant-with-meaning nod that I gave the clerk at the quicky mart.

I betcha that cop gets out and thanks me for being on the street looking out for not only him, but all the law-abiding citizens of this town in which I proudly wear The CCW Badge.

I welcome my new brother badge holder. For too long I have been the lone voice of those brave souls who carry CCW shields and patrol the street every day.

I carry FIVE CCW BADGES>

Badge #1 is kept in the center of my Tri-Fold Wallet, so that when I display it, it is accented by my CCW permit on the left, and my Players Club Gold Card on the right (which entitles me to great discounts on food, entertainment, and accomodations throughout the world, baby).

Badge #2 is kept clipped to my belt on my right hip in front of my main carry piece, A Ruger Super Redhawk chambered in .480 Ruger with it's 3-9X50 scope.

Badge #3 is proudly displayed on my left hip in front of my backup piece, my trusty .500 Smith&Wesson.

Badge #4 is glued to the holster on my right ankle, where you will find my trusty, though under-powered, Cold Combat Commander.

Badge #5 is likewise attached to the holster on my left ankle, where you will find my GUN-OF-LAST-RESORT. a mere Colt Python chambered for the impotent .357 Magnum cartridge.

(I know what you are thinking. 'Here is a well-armed man. But how does he conceal all of those?' It is simple. I have a photographers vest to conver the waist-guns. Since I am 5'8" tall and 340 impressively molded pounds, I have the vests made special. The ankle guns are covered by cargo pants in the summer, or thick woolen hunting socks when I wear shorts. When loungin on the beach, I use a mumu to cover it all. Ammunition is, of course, carried in two fanny packs. One pack on the fanny. Another above the groin. When I venture into bad parts of town, I pull extra ammo behind me in a red wagon.)

I carry the badge(s) because i feel the decent people of this community have a right to know who is protecting them. The badge allows me to do this legally. You see, it is illegal to brandish a concealed weapon, but not illegal to show a CCW badge. CASE IN POINT....... I was at a quickie mart the other day paying for some canned chili and a mountain dew when four young holligans entered the store. As the clerk sacked my light snack, I pulled Badge #1 and showed it to him. When his worried eyes caught mine, I gave him a nod. A small nod to be sure, but one weighted with meaning. "I'll be in the parking lot," I told him, "Until this situation is resolved." I then exited the store and stood by my 77 Thunderbird eating cold chili out of the can until the street gang had departed. Heaven knows what those punks might had done had it not been for the presence of a Gold-Shielded-CCWer.

But I am only one man! Yes, a highly trained and well armed man who has studied six martial arts both in-person and through videos. But still I am just one man. What if there had been sixteen punks instead of four?

The answer is simple. I would have gone outside and found three more trusty citizens (my keen eye allows me to know who is truly trustworthy) and deputized them all as emergency Gold-Shield-CCWers. Happily, I would have had guns and badges for them all. Then we all would have stood in that parking lot ready to intervene against the lawless tsunami of laewlessness churning in the store. And, believe me, I had plenty of handcuffs and zip-ties with me for securing such a mob!

There is one more reason I carry the badge; it makes the police feel safer!

You jest? Think about it........... Even the best police officers are too burdened with their daily duties to truly master the warrior arts. What cop has time to study the deeper martial meanings hinted at by the late David Carradine in 'Kung Fu'? What cop has learned the Dim Mak. And what cop is allowed to carry a Ruger Super RedHawk? Cops can't - I can.

I think tomorrow I will drive out and find a policeman. Then I'll casually whip open my vest and let him see my Ruger Super Redhawk with my gold CCW shield in front of that. When his admiring eyes meet mine, I'll give him that same pregnant-with-meaning nod that I gave the clerk at the quicky mart.

I betcha that cop gets out and thanks me for being on the street looking out for not only him, but all the law-abiding citizens of this town in which I proudly wear The CCW Badge.

I do believe G50AE has been resurrected and still wanting CCW badges approved for everyone. Still called impersonating an officer and, if caught with all your armament, you automatically become a terrorist. Get a good lawyer.

Link Removed

I do believe G50AE has been resurrected and still wanting CCW badges approved for everyone. Still called impersonating an officer and, if caught with all your armament, you automatically become a terrorist. Get a good lawyer.

Perhaps before they need a lawyer a psychiatrist might be helpful.

Whether they're legal or not, what's the point of concealing at all if you're displaying a badge that tells the world you're concealing? Dumb.

Apparently, you, like most of the others here, haven't read what I wrote. I wrote (several times now) that I keep the badge concealed. I would only take it out during or immediately after an active shooter situation in the hopes that it might keep me from getting shot by friendly fire from responding police officers or another CCW holder. In that one situation, staying alive means more to me than possibly facing any charges later.

It's disappointing how negative and nasty most of the comments have been in this thread (yours is one of the exceptions - thank you for that).

Apparently, you, like most of the others here, haven't read what I wrote. I wrote (several times now) that I keep the badge concealed. I would only take it out during or immediately after an active shooter situation in the hopes that it might keep me from getting shot by friendly fire from responding police officers or another CCW holder. In that one situation, staying alive means more to me than possibly facing any charges later.

It's disappointing how negative and nasty most of the comments have been in this thread (yours is one of the exceptions - thank you for that).
I carry chem lights in my vehicle for a variety of reasons but just read something interesting about using them after a SD situation at night. It says that after the attacker is neutralized and no longer a threat and after you call 911 that you should place your weapon in plain sight well away from your person and hold each end of an activated chemlight in both hands over your head. This will tell LE that you are clearly identifying yourself and that both hands are in plain sight and not holding a weapon. It makes sense to me but I'm not a LEO.

Sent from my XT1650 using Link Removed

I carry chem lights in my vehicle for a variety of reasons but just read something interesting about using them after a SD situation at night. It says that after the attacker is neutralized and no longer a threat and after you call 911 that you should place your weapon in plain sight well away from your person and hold each end of an activated chemlight in both hands over your head. This will tell LE that you are clearly identifying yourself and that both hands are in plain sight and not holding a weapon. It makes sense to me but I'm not a LEO.

That's interesting. Several people have made the point that once the situation is over, one needs to get the gun out of one's hand, but holding a chemlight (is that the same as a flair?) in each hand would make it real clear that one isn't armed. The only thing is, usually the 911 operator will want you to stay on the line so one hand will be holding a phone - which in itself might be a problem if the cop thinks it's a weapon. I suppose if one has a shirt or jacket with a breast pocket, putting the phone into speaker mode and putting it in the breast pocket so one can raise both hands in the air would be a good idea.

That's interesting. Several people have made the point that once the situation is over, one needs to get the gun out of one's hand, but holding a chemlight (is that the same as a flair?) in each hand would make it real clear that one isn't armed. The only thing is, usually the 911 operator will want you to stay on the line so one hand will be holding a phone - which in itself might be a problem if the cop thinks it's a weapon. I suppose if one has a shirt or jacket with a breast pocket, putting the phone into speaker mode and putting it in the breast pocket so one can raise both hands in the air would be a good idea.
The article is in this month's edition of Conceal Carry magazine on page 34. It's called The Other Light, Alternative Sources. It discusses use of lights in general and the chem light piece of it was included as one alternative after a SD encounter.

I don't know if it's available on line as I get it snail mail but it's a good read and provides some good options for using light in various situations/environments.

I think we have all encountered the few that are so impressed with themselves that they now have a permit to carry a firearm. They, thankfully, are few and far between, but for the most part they are also viewed in a negative light by the majority of people that carry. The "wanna-be's" that view the fact they are armed as some kind of authority (think George Zimmerman patrolling his neighborhood) with or without a badge give every person that carries for self defense a bad name.

There is also the "look mommy, look mommy, look lookie mommy" aspect of someone that would invest/show a badge that has no significance legally. When the cops arrive and you have a gun in your hand, you are going to be ordered to drop it, badge or not. If you don't comply, you will mostly likely be shot, badge or not.

I think we have all encountered the few that are so impressed with themselves that they now have a permit to carry a firearm. They, thankfully, are few and far between, but for the most part they are also viewed in a negative light by the majority of people that carry. The "wanna-be's" that view the fact they are armed as some kind of authority (think George Zimmerman patrolling his neighborhood) with or without a badge give every person that carries for self defense a bad name.

There is also the "look mommy, look mommy, look lookie mommy" aspect of someone that would invest/show a badge that has no significance legally. When the cops arrive and you have a gun in your hand, you are going to be ordered to drop it, badge or not. If you don't comply, you will mostly likely be shot, badge or not.

All very good points.

Yeah, I'm thinking about installing an advanced CC warning system in my truck to alert all drivers, passersby, and first responders to the fact that I'm carrying. It should go nicely with my three-piece "I CC!" suit.

Yes, this is satire.

It has been suggested by LEOs that after a shooting encounter hold your ID or Permit over your head as that is what detectives do to show they are not the criminal/enemy. The police will key on you having a hand up, even if it is holding something. Also the Concealed Carry Badges have been issues for some as one of the charges being filed is impersonating a police person. Just FYI if one thinks about getting one. With everything else you may be dealing with, having the badge could cause additional issues. Not saying it would, but may.

It has been suggested by LEOs that after a shooting encounter hold your ID or Permit over your head as that is what detectives do to show they are not the criminal/enemy. The police will key on you having a hand up, even if it is holding something. Also the Concealed Carry Badges have been issues for some as one of the charges being filed is impersonating a police person. Just FYI if one thinks about getting one. With everything else you may be dealing with, having the badge could cause additional issues. Not saying it would, but may.

By which LEO's? Those that can read a carry permit card at 10' - 50' away? That's some damn good eyesight.

Police do key on the fact you are holding something in your hands. How many people have been shot dead holding a cell phone, a wallet.... only because it was mistaken as a gun.

I am using the word "you" in a general sense and not directed at any individuals........

In a real world defensive shooting you will be so busy making sure the threat has actually ended and hopefully be able to control the adrenaline dump enough to try to handle/prevent any onlookers/friends of the attacker from screwing with any evidence or becoming attackers themselves (not all incidents are one on one) you won't be thinking about, and likely will not have time for, digging out your ID.

One thing you can depend on. A real world defensive shooting most assuredly will not happen the way you think it will and surely will not turn out the way you plan for.

What should you do? I suggest asking an attorney with experience in defensive cases instead of hoping for advice from keyboard commandos on the internet.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back