Ccw laws

jimf5

Hi All:
I had a chance to renew my CCW early thru a friend who became an instructor. He used me and another friend to work out his training bugs and did not charge us, so I saved at least $60.00. My permit is in Washow county and I now live in NYE county, a hassle to change or add weapons. I want to bring it down here to make it easier for transactions. The permit does not expire until 9/2011 and when I went down to renew I was told I can't renew until 6 months before it expires. Can anyone point me to the place where it states the 6 month rule ? I have looked for it but can't find it. I don't know if they are right or wrong in ther statement. Any help is welcome
JImf5

Hi All:
I had a chance to renew my CCW early thru a friend who became an instructor. He used me and another friend to work out his training bugs and did not charge us, so I saved at least $60.00. My permit is in Washow county and I now live in NYE county, a hassle to change or add weapons. I want to bring it down here to make it easier for transactions. The permit does not expire until 9/2011 and when I went down to renew I was told I can't renew until 6 months before it expires. Can anyone point me to the place where it states the 6 month rule ? I have looked for it but can't find it. I don't know if they are right or wrong in ther statement. Any help is welcome
JImf5

I don't know where it would state that, it might be just a local policy, but I'm not sure. You can always call or send an email to Tony DeMeo, Nye County's Sheriff and ask him. He's been pretty responsive to my emails in the past. ([email protected])

If you were to renew now...wouldnt you essentially be throwing away 2 yrs of "paid carry"?

THat being said...there doenst seem to be a 6 month restriction by law...

NV Code

NRS 202.3677 Application for renewal of permit; fees; demonstrated continued competence required.

1. If a permittee wishes to renew his permit, the permittee must complete and submit to the sheriff who issued the permit an application for renewal of the permit.

2. An application for the renewal of a permit must:

(a) Be completed and signed under oath by the applicant;

(b) Contain a statement that the applicant is eligible to receive a permit pursuant to NRS 202.3657; and

(c) Be accompanied by a nonrefundable fee of $25.

Ê If a permittee fails to renew his permit on or before the date of expiration of his permit, the application for renewal must include an additional nonrefundable late fee of $15.

3. No permit may be renewed pursuant to this section unless the permittee has demonstrated continued competence with revolvers, with each semiautomatic firearm to which the application pertains, or with revolvers and each such semiautomatic firearm, as applicable, by successfully completing a course prescribed by the sheriff renewing the permit.

(Added to NRS by 1995, 2725; A 2007, 3154)

The county that issued your current permit is who you deal with for additions or changes for the term of the permit. There is no statutory provision to transfer your NV CFP from one county to another and have your file forwarded to where you currently live. If they do it's a courtesy of both the issuing sheriff and sheriff you wish to transfer it to. You can do addition qualifications in any county but they need to be submitted in person to the issuing sheriff's office.

When your Washoe County issued NV CFP expires you are then required to renew it through Nye County. Nye County should only charge you the renewal fee.

Thank you all for the replies. I did some checking with Washoe county and they said I can only renew 120 day before it expires. Now I asked why 4 months in Washoe and 6 months in Nye? I was told the limits were set by the sherrifs assocation at there meeting. Now how can they set time frames on laws? I will talk to our local sherrif at his town meeting in a few weeks

I will have to hold my cool as I don't want to piss of the cops until I get my permit.
jimf5

Thank you all for the replies. I did some checking with Washoe county and they said I can only renew 120 day before it expires. Now I asked why 4 months in Washoe and 6 months in Nye? I was told the limits were set by the sherrifs assocation at there meeting. Now how can they set time frames on laws? I will talk to our local sherrif at his town meeting in a few weeks

I will have to hold my cool as I don't want to piss of the cops until I get my permit.
jimf5

Probably because it doesn't matter what county you move to, you can keep your permit for the full 5 years instead of paying a renewal just because you move in-state.

Who moves around this state that much anyway? Reno and Vegas are about it haha! :biggrin:

I see your issue, and unfortunately its up to the Sheriffs office.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back