Ccw charge

So, the laws suck because BGs get to rob banks and we don't? OR, if the good guys don't follow the rules, why should we? Having a little trouble with the logic here. Nobody said OP couldn't carry a gun, he just didn't obey the law and carry his permit/license. I have my TN DL and HCP in a small leather bifold along with my two medical cards (Retired Military ID and Medicare card) in short essential ID. I even carry the case in my house. If I am not in my PJs or skivvies, I have all important ID on me.

You did not read my post. I explicitly and specifically specified GUN CONTROL laws. GUN CONTROL laws do one thing: they limit the ability of the law abiding citizen to defend themselves against the criminal who is going to have their gun anyway, regardless of the law. Your bank robbery example... the BG gets to rob a bank USING A GUN - but the GUN CONTROL laws will be what prevents law abiding citizens from being able to lawfully protect themselves during the armed robbery, because in some states it is illegal to carry a gun into a bank.

It makes NO SENSE to pass a law that makes carrying a gun into a bank illegal. It makes perfect sense to make it illegal to use a gun to rob a bank.

Well you would be wrong.

There are also several Supreme Court rulings, including the recent rulings on Heller (or McDonald, I can't remember which), affirming the local right to regulate just about everything Except ownership in the home and the right of self defense. As much as we all want to see the laws enforced and keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, we can only do that through local, state, county, city, laws. Granted, there are a lot of gun laws on the books that we all want to go away, but we're still regulated by local laws.

Constitution of the Republic of the United States of America Article 6 Supremacy Clause.
overrules any state or local law that violate your civil liberties.

Heller and McDonald are specific to 2nd Amendment.

Supreme Law School : E-mail : Box 036 : Msg 03678

Link Removed

I'm not sure about Ohio but in Kentucky it's just a $25 fine and be on your merry way. Since you were arrested it sounds serious and you should probably get a lawyer.

NC requires the same as above. I carry my permit wether or not am carrying. What I have done is carry it behind my license in my wallet at all times. Good luck in court.

In the State of Ohio you are guilty of a misdemeanor offence. Which is up to the officers discretion to enforce so its not about right or wrong its about can or cant. You had your gun without your permit good luck.

licence plate

Here in Ohio I know from experience that my car registration/license plate has a ccw notation placed on it. My daughter was pulled over in my car right in front of house for burnt out headlight upon turning on my scanner I heard my name and statement that owner is a valid ccw permit holder. So I know it's on registration don't know if it carries to license or not.

We teach in CCW Class that you are to Carry your Permit and another State ID at all times. You must remember, NOT ALL POLICE ARE CCW FRIENDLY.

If they didn't suspend your CCW, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure you'll pay some fines and court costs for not having it on you. But I doubt they'll hammer you TOO hard over it. In the end your a legal carrier. If they suspended it in the mean time.....eh?

Well you would be wrong.

There are also several Supreme Court rulings, including the recent rulings on Heller (or McDonald, I can't remember which), affirming the local right to regulate just about everything Except ownership in the home and the right of self defense. As much as we all want to see the laws enforced and keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, we can only do that through local, state, county, city, laws. Granted, there are a lot of gun laws on the books that we all want to go away, but we're still regulated by local laws.

Isnt it amazing that, "right of the people peaceably to assemble," "right of the people to be secure in their homes," "enumerations herein of certain rights shall not be construed to disparage others retained by the people," and "The powers not delegated herein are reserved to the states respectively, and to the people" all refer to individuals, but "the right of the people to keep and bear arms" refers to the state.

BuddhaKat:230374 said:
I do not consider my right to carry a privilege. The second amendment guarantees it as a right. Having said that, I do always carry the paper the state of Indiana issued to me that says it's OK with them that I carry.
You have a right to carry a gun. You have a privilege to carry it concealed. Just because the 2nd Amendment gives you the right to keep and bear arms, it doesn't mean that state and local governments don't have a right to add restrictions.

Additionally, I don't think that the right to own a gun necessarily means there shouldn't be some restrictions attached. For example, while I don't support mandatory registration of every gun, I don't know how to reconcile that with proactively preventing people who aren't supposed to have one from getting one. Maybe rather than something on a drivers license saying we have a CCW, maybe we should put something on it that flags the person as being a convicted felon. A law abiding citizen should have their right to privacy respected, but a convicted felon shouldn't necessarily be entitled to that right, at least as far as possessing a weapon is concerned.

What part of "shall not be infringed," is unclear to you? The states have ZERO authority to restrict the rights guaranteed by the Constitution. I challenge you to prove otherwise.

There's no place in the 2nd Amendment that says people convicted of a felony are entitled to keep and bear arms yet they're prohibited in every state. Where does that authority come from? They're not even allowed to be in a home that has a gun inside that belongs to a roommate. Do you think a prisoner convicted of shooting someone in a robbery should be able to keep and bear arms when he gets out of jail? His right shall not be infringed after all.

States have some regulatory authority, no doubt about that. What the fight is about is the right of law abiding people to keep and bear arms for their own self defense and to fight tyranny in government.

I think we veered off topic slightly here, BK. It seemed to me that you made a blanket statement that gun ownership should be a restricted right. That's where I took issue with you. And regardless of what the states ARE doing, they have no authority to do so to the law-abiding citizen. That is the point i was making. I have no issues with felons being denied the right until their parole/probation is up. But once our laws deem a person suitable to be released into society again, we should restore all rights to him. If we are not ready to do that, then I suggest he is not yet fit for society. Read my earlier posts in this thread. Our justice system is broken. We cry out for safer streets, and at the same time others cry out for more rehabilitation and less punishment. But those people are what i like to call, "wrong."

In FL you are also required to have your CWP and driver's license if your carrying!
Or you can be fined $25 if the officer asks if you are carrying and you don't have it with you. You also are wrong on the DL requirement. It is required that you have valid ID. FL also says that you don't have to tell unless you are asked by the LEO. So how does the LEO find out? Did he see it or did he ask or did you tell? Fl DL is not tied to your CWorFL.
The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court.
Ohio is a different story as you have to tell from the start.

As for those who say Concealed Carry is a privilege, what if your state only allows concealed carry? It no longer is a privilege as the state has set that standard. Open carry is not allowed in many states so the states have in fact violated the 2nd Amendment.

CCW Confusion...

Ok, I'm in Ohio but I'm not sure what this issue is concerning. If you did carry your weapon... as I understand you MUST also CARRY your CCW.

However, if you did not have your weapon, I do not see the need for the CCW on your person.

Are you saying that your in trouble just because you did NOT have your CCW on you and you also DID NOT have a weapon on you too?

I thought it was like a drivers license.... you have 24 hrs to verify your drivers license if you were caught driving without it before being charged. But, you could not continue to drive and your car impounded unless there was another driver.

A car could be a weapon today! But, I'm not sure how the law is written on these specifics.

The ATF was very helpful and sent me "freely" the laws.... it's about 5 inches thick.

What is the opinion of your lawyer?

I think we veered off topic slightly here, BK. It seemed to me that you made a blanket statement that gun ownership should be a restricted right. That's where I took issue with you. And regardless of what the states ARE doing, they have no authority to do so to the law-abiding citizen. That is the point i was making. I have no issues with felons being denied the right until their parole/probation is up. But once our laws deem a person suitable to be released into society again, we should restore all rights to him. If we are not ready to do that, then I suggest he is not yet fit for society. Read my earlier posts in this thread. Our justice system is broken. We cry out for safer streets, and at the same time others cry out for more rehabilitation and less punishment. But those people are what i like to call, "wrong."
I think we're still on topic, just discussing some of the details. For instance, I don't remember saying gun ownership should be a restricted right, I merely pointed out that it IS a restricted right in accordance with the authority granted to the states. The Supreme's just said that. Granted, this fight is not over and they only ruled part way on what should have been the obvious issue, but they answer to no one, so what're ya gonna do?

Now, as far as my beliefs, I would have to say, I'm supportive of some gun ownership restrictions. I don't think people convicted of a violent felony should ever be able to own a gun, parole completion or not. MOST violent felons usually end right back in prison for the same old thing. I don't think it's a good idea for them to own a gun anymore. I also think there is a considerable segment of law abiding folk that are too stupid to ever be allowed to carry a concealed firearm around in public. In their home, yes, standing next to me at the 7/11, not so much. But I have to admit, I sort of loathe stupid people, so it could be said that I'm a little biased. People that have been drinking alcohol shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun in public. If I counted the hairs on my head their number still wouldn't even come close to how many times I've seen some drunk do something grossly stupid. Personally, I'm the kind of guy that thinks that my carrying a loaded, concealed weapon in public is a huge responsibility. I believe that if I draw my weapon and fire, somebody is likely to die. I don't want it to be because I made a (stupid) mistake, or my not having the ability to draw, aim and fire my weapon accurately. I would rather die myself than risk hitting some little kid playing in the street a half a block away. I'm pretty sure everyone here feels the same about that.

I'm under no illusion that if a bad guy wants a gun, prohibiting them from owning one isn't going to stop them from getting one. Truth be told, the best defense society has against bad guys with guns, is good guys with guns. The more the merrier.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back