Cattaraugus County Pistol Permits

trophyhunter

Need Some Information. Does Anyone Know ,That If You Transfer Your Pistol Permit From Erie County With Hunting & Target Restrictions, Does Cattaraugus County Issue Same With Hunting& Target Restrictions Or, Do They Just Issue Unresticted. I've Heard They Are Very Leanent In Cattaraugus County And, Very Seldom Put Restictions On Your Pistol Permits Any Information Would Be Great. Thanks

You need to apply all over again,you may transfer your file from Erie but you need to fill out the paper work get fingerprinted and wait a couple of months to get your permit.I would take a good self defense course like Front Site that is reputable and state that you are trained in the use of deadly physical force.The only county that gives civilians a full-carry unrestricted without asking is Delaware County.

Couldn't help myself. I would think if you can spell cattaraugus, you should be able to get any kind of permit you want anywhere. What named town is in that county? Just askin so I understand where it is.

Couldn't help myself. I would think if you can spell cattaraugus, you should be able to get any kind of permit you want anywhere. What named town is in that county? Just askin so I understand where it is.
That county would be in New York.I suggest anyone who is trying to get a full-carry permit should get the best type of training available.

>>The only county that gives civilians a full-carry unrestricted without asking is Delaware County.
Dutchess County also issues full carry permits w/o asking

>>What named town is in that county? Just askin so I understand where it is.
Little Valley is the seat of Cattaraugus County

Yes, Cattaraugus County Is South of Buffalo The Specific Town Is South Dayton, New York (Amish Country) I dont understand why, I would have to re- apply all over again. Since, New York Permits are Valid until Revoked (Lifetime) But, Thanks For Info. I will have to do somemore homework on this situation. Thanks all for replys....

Please let us know what happens for you in Cattaraugus County. I have no color on the map for that county:

Link Removed

rheaj, That is a great Information Map Where did you get that? or, did you do your homework and, put that together yourself either way nice job. I spoke To Marga today, In the town of of Little Valley She is the Clerk who handles the Pistol Permits. She advised me when she receives the transfer paperwork from Erie County she will send me a letter to come and, Will Issue my New Permit for Cattaraugus County I asked her if I had to re apply she said no. She also stated that they very seldom but any restrictions on permits. Cattaraugus County is very pro gun county I will let you know I sent myTransfer paperwork to Erie County on Thursday Feb 11,2010 she told me it should take around 2-3 weeks

Please let us know what happens for you in Cattaraugus County. I have no color on the map for that county:

Link Removed
Sullivan County is may issue with restrictions.You may request for an upgrade at a later date to lift the restrictions.NYC is also May issue with restrictions.

The map originally came from the old packing.org website. That website has been gone for a couple of years now. The current map is largely based on that old map, with updates from folks in this forum. It's been rather difficult to decide how to color some of the counties sometimes. I tend to get conflicting information from different people. I also get different opinions on how they should be colored. NYC is a great example. Technically, I suppose you could say it is "may issue." But the restrictions and requirements are so overtly onerous I decided to color it red. You're not getting a NYC permit unless you're "special."

Hunter Won, do you have first hand experience with Sullivan county? Or do you know someone directly who recently got their permit issued to them in Sullivan?

My experience has been the same with Sullivan- May issue with restrictions. As long as you meet the criteria, you will most likely get a permit, but it will usually be restricted first. You can upgrade at a later date with a letter to the judge.

The map originally came from the old packing.org website. That website has been gone for a couple of years now. The current map is largely based on that old map, with updates from folks in this forum. It's been rather difficult to decide how to color some of the counties sometimes. I tend to get conflicting information from different people. I also get different opinions on how they should be colored. NYC is a great example. Technically, I suppose you could say it is "may issue." But the restrictions and requirements are so overtly onerous I decided to color it red. You're not getting a NYC permit unless you're "special."

Hunter Won, do you have first hand experience with Sullivan county? Or do you know someone directly who recently got their permit issued to them in Sullivan?
I was there a few months ago with a friend who wanted a permit.The clerk was very nice and did say that the instructions do say that you get a target and hunting permit.The wait was about 8 months and you need a safety course at the interview.A couple of guys were there that just got there permits from the judge.All restricted,you can apply a few years later to have the restrictions lifted.You need to make an appointment to get a purchase coupon which takes about a week.The judge signs all the purchase coupons.

OK, based on the above, I've colored Sullivan Yellow and Cattaraugus green.

Link Removed
The entire map should be YELLOW.Because New York state is May Issue.One or two counties issue a full carry but still you have to go through a backround and wait a few months to get a permit.If you show cause and have the proper training and right lawyer you can get a full carry in New York.

Anyone else agree with Hunter Won? This map is useless? I won't be bothered with trying to update and maintain it if people think there's no point. :to_pick_ones_nose:

I think it is worthwhile. Even though NY is may issue, many counties will in fact issue a permit if you meet the requirements. You may not get a full carry, but you will usually get a permit. Most shall issue states have background investigations and waiting requirements.

Anyone else agree with Hunter Won? This map is useless? I won't be bothered with trying to update and maintain it if people think there's no point. :to_pick_ones_nose:
It would be interesting to here from other forum members personal experience on this topic.The paper work in some counties are very easy like Sullivan County.In other counties they require more effort.There are services that charge $400.00 and up to fill out the paper work, so it becomes easier.In Nassau,Suffolk and NYC you never have to see a judge.You never wait more than 6 months in those juristictions.The wait is 3-5 months,but the catch is every 5 years you need to renew your handgun permit and bring in all your guns with you so they can be inspected.Another plus is you can buy a gun and in one day have it on your permit.All the other counties have a lifetime license which is a major plus.Nassau and Sufffolk are easy to get a permit fast, just that they are very hard to get a full carry in those counties.

OK, based on the above, I've colored Sullivan Yellow and Cattaraugus green.

See my post under "Herkimer County." Based on my own experience and talking with several others, the county is reasonable about issue (almost "shall issue") but always issues with a recreational restriction. Thus I think that Herkimer County should be colored "Yellow."

Last edited:
Perhaps the map shouldn't have anything to do with how easy or difficult it is to get a permit? Maybe it should only be about whether or not you can get full carry?

Would that mean that NYC gets green? They do issue full carry permits there. :sarcastic:

If we take that approach, a look at the map makes it seem like NYC is more gun friendly than most of the rest of the state!:fie:

If a particular county requires that you pay $5000, submit a letter expressing that someone has threatened your life on multiple occasions, prove you have a restraining order against that person, go through 95 hours of training, place an ad in the paper stating that you are applying for a CCW permit, and take a lie detector test before they will issue you a permit - is that county really "may issue?" Technically yes. If you do all that stuff, they will give you a permit (restricted to your premises of course). If you have to get a lawyer, go through an absurd rigmarole, and drain your savings to do it, but do get it done - does that make your county "may issue?"

Perhaps the problem is in the use of the terms "may issue" and "shall issue." What I want the map to do, at a fairly quick glance, is give you an idea of whether your county will issue you a permit with relatively little hoop-jumping, or will your county do everything they can to either keep you from getting a permit at all, or keep you from carrying your firearm with you. In another words, how "gun friendly" is your county?

The hard part is to make determinations for each county for such a highly subjective indicator.

I;m open to suggestions.

hi im new to this site i live in delevan ny cattaragus i have had a pistol permit since 1988 with no restrictions

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back