Carrying while on vacation

Hipdad503

Next month the family and I are going on vacation. From Oregon (have ccw for Oregon) and traveling to Las Vegas. Route involves driving through Cali. I can not see myself leaving my firearm behind on a road trip like this. If a break down occurs or something else happens I want to be prepared. Any recommendations or input is welcome. Thank you.

Does Oregon's retropo

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Does Oregon's Reciprocity include Nevada? If so, then you can drive through with your firearm in a locked box in the trunk of the car while you're driving through California

Next month the family and I are going on vacation. From Oregon (have ccw for Oregon) and traveling to Las Vegas. Route involves driving through Cali. I can not see myself leaving my firearm behind on a road trip like this. If a break down occurs or something else happens I want to be prepared. Any recommendations or input is welcome. Thank you.

California does not honor permits of other states (see handgunlaw.us | California).

Nevada does not honor your Oregon permit (see handgunlaw.us | Nevada). Legal open carry without a permit is an option.

You can legally transport your firearm unloaded (see NRA-ILA | Guide To The Interstate Transportation Of Firearms).

Always check state and local laws before traveling with firearms.

Legal open carry in Nevada and California? Or only Nevada?
Thanks for the reply guys.

Only in Nevada, but inform yourself about the actual law. Firearms laws in general and carry laws in particular can be quite complex.

Just to give you an example, I was recently in Portland. My Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit is not recognized in Oregon, so I can not legally carry concealed there. Open carry without a permit would be a legal option in Oregon, however, Portland has a city ordinance that limits open carry to Oregon concealed carry permit holders.

Read those links I posted. They are a good "starting point."

I'm an FFL in the state of New York but I have the ATF rules for the entire country. Currently I'm out actually on a date with my wife.

Hipdad, I'll post them in the morning we had a great evening Dinner, Movie Ant-man and then dessert lol!!!!!

Open carry without a permit would be a legal option in Oregon, however, Portland has a city ordinance that limits open carry to Oregon concealed carry permit holders.

Read those links I posted. They are a good "starting point."

Ordinances can only restrict loaded open carry i believe...you can still open carry with an empty chamber.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

Ordinances can only restrict loaded open carry i believe...you can still open carry with an empty chamber.

Unfortunately, no. That's exacly why I pointed out this example. One has to actually read the details.

Link Removed:

(Amended by Ordinance No. 184274, effective December 31, 2010.)

A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm.

B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm’s clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

C. The following are exceptions and constitute affirmative defenses to a violation of this Section:

1. A police officer or other duly appointed peace officers, whether active or honorably retired.

2. A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

3. A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

4. A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370.

5. A government employee authorized or required by his or her employment or office to carry firearms.

6. A person summoned by a police officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while such person is actually engaged in assisting the officer.

7. A merchant who possesses or is engaged in lawfully transporting unloaded firearms as merchandise.

8. Organizations which are by law authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.

9. Duly authorized military or civil organizations while parading, or their members when going to and from the places of meeting of their organization.

10. A corrections officer while transporting or accompanying an individual convicted of or arrested for an offense and confined in a place of incarceration or detention while outside the confines of the place of incarceration or detention.

11. Persons travelling to and from an established target range, whether public or private, for the purpose of practicing shooting targets at the target ranges.

12. Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

13. A person authorized by permit of the Chief of Police to possess a loaded firearm, clip, or magazine in a public place in the City of Portland.

14. A security guard employed at a financial institution insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation while the security guard is on duty.

D. It is unlawful for any person who possesses a firearm, clip or magazine in or upon a public place, or while in a vehicle in a public place, to refuse to permit a police officer to inspect that firearm after the police officer has identified him or herself as a police officer. This Section does not apply to law enforcement officers or members of the military in the performance of official duties, nor persons licensed to carry a concealed handgun or persons authorized to possess a loaded firearm, clip or magazine while in or on a public building or court facility.

E. Penalty

1. In the absence of the aggravating factors listed in Subsection 14A.60.010 E.2., the court may impose a sentence of up to 6 months imprisonment and a fine not to exceed $500 for violation of this section.

2. When this offense is committed by carrying a loaded firearm containing ammunition that employs gunpowder as a propellant in a vehicle, including a transit vehicle, the court must impose a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 days for violation of this Section.

Lol antman, that looks interesting.

Government sucks. They make this confusing on purpose. If you have a permit you should be able to carry anywhere in the US.

From the California Highway Patrol FAQ on their web site.

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?

​California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

If you have additional questions, contact the California Department of Justice at 916-227-3703.

https://www.chp.ca.gov/home/faq

Unfortunately, no. That's exacly why I pointed out this example. One has to actually read the details.

Link Removed:

Oh, more restrictive than I thought...you can carry openly without a permit if you have zero ammunition with you.

I wonder, if for example my wife carried the magazines with ammo, and I carried the firearm completely unloaded, would we be "legal"?

Lol antman, that looks interesting.

Government sucks. They make this confusing on purpose. If you have a permit you should be able to carry anywhere in the US.

You should be able to carry anywhere in the country without a permit.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

You are right to feel this way. Personally, I don't so much as take a crap without at least two guns within arms reach, and I sure as hell wouldn't dream of leaving my front door without one. As previous posters stated, OC is legal in Nevada. So strap on that smoke wagon for the thugs to see. Let them know a sheepdog has come to town willing to sink his fangs into the throats of those who threaten his flock.

Legal open carry in Nevada and California? Or only Nevada?
Thanks for the reply guys.

All you need to know for legal open carry without a permit in Nevada can be found here: Open Carry - NevadaCarry.org, including the links to the applicable laws.

The really good news is that no local laws or regulations may be more strict than state law. See: NRS 244.364 (county), NRS 268.418 (city), NRS 269.222 (town), NRS 407.0475(c) (state parks).

Let us know if you plan to go to any National Park or the Hoover Dam. There are additional considerations, such as Firearms in National Parks - Gateway National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service) and Prohibited Vehicles/Items at Hoover Dam.

I'm an FFL in the state of New York but I have the ATF rules for the entire country. Currently I'm out actually on a date with my wife.

The ATF does not publish rules for or regulate carrying firearms at the state level. They regulate COMMERCE in firearms. handgunlaw.us is the go to source for laws concerning the carrying of firearms. The ATF will have some general guidelines regarding Federal law and carrying firearms but there will be a lot of state prohibitions (such as prohibited places other than the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act) that the ATF won't provide information on.

Open carry in Nevada. Unloaded and both ammo and gun locked in the trunk or in a locked case in California, except when actually inside your residence and hotel rooms count as temporary residences.

Greatly appreciate all the info you guys! Thank you! After hearing California's lame laws, we will be rerouting to avoid Cali.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back