Carrying in a bank

Neal

This may be a stupid question (it would not be the first time), but I stopped by a bank yesterday to make the first payment on a new car we bought about a month ago. I could not find the payment coupon book to mail it in, so I thought I would stop in at a branch to get this information. I noticed as I approached the entrance that there was a no smoking sign posted, but no "no carry" sign.

After I completed the collection of the needed information, I told the manager that 1) I am NOT armed, but that 2) I was surprised to see that there was no "no carry" sign on the front door in light of the increased interest in CC in Ohio. He responded that 1) it is a federal offense to carry in to a bank, and that 2) there most certainly was a sign on their door. He was not defensive, but very sure of himself. I invited him to walk me out of the building and, guess what ? No sign.

The sign issue did not surprise me so much, but in light of my recent status as a CC holder and not wanting to get in to trouble, I checked the booklet for Ohio on CC. I do not see financial institutions listed as a no CC zone.

Can anyone comment on whether I am missing something? The manager and I had a brief conversation about whether a no carry sign would discourage a criminal and whether all involved may be safer if law abiding citizens were armed when in their financial institution, but I don't think I won him over. I guess if he was unfamiliar with whether they had a posted sign or not I should not be surprised.

Thanks,

Neal

The manager didn't have a clue. Unless you were in a Federal facility, or there is a State law against it, it is legal to carry in banks. Since you said you stopped at a branch, it wasn't a Federal facility.

They can ask you to leave if they want but its not against the law. As long as its not one of the places on the list in your certification manual like a courthouse, jail, etc, its not technically illegal. MY CCDW class for KY covered a lot of Ohio info too.

Like i said you they can ask you to leave or even refuse service if they know you are carrying but they should not know if you are carrying properly.

You did the right thing by talking to the guy though. By actually putting a no concealed weapons sign on their business they are telling criminals that no one in there can defend themselves and that you are all unarmed. It just paints a target on your business IMHO.

Hey Neal! Use the hat rack on your shoulders, buddy!

I'll tell you what you DID do:

You made the manager aware that there is no sign on the door, thus making him aware that he needs to post his door. Wile it was legal yesterday to carry in your bank, tomorrow it will be criminal trespass after he puts up the sign.

Ask at the forums BEFORE you point it out to management! :pleasantry:

Of course, if that is the worst mistake you make this week, you will be doing better than me!

I believe in Ohio that carrying in a posted area is only a civil issue, not a criminal, but I could be wrong.

I've noticed a sign in the branches of my credit union similar to this:
Link Removed
'No Firearms' signs are not posted.

It all boils down to the state you live in. Some states specify that banks are off limits for carry. In SC it's legal to carry in banks. There is no federal law against it since it's not a federal facility and being FDIC insured is only an insurance not a facility status. I agree that you just made them aware that there was no sign, however since their mindset is it's illegal they probably won't do anything about it. If no sign is posted don't ask them research it later.

What Link Removed says:

(B) A valid license issued under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:

(1) A police station, sheriff’s office, or state highway patrol station, premises controlled by the bureau of criminal identification and investigation, a state correctional institution, jail, workhouse, or other detention facility, an airport passenger terminal, or an institution that is maintained, operated, managed, and governed pursuant to division (A) of section 5119.02 of the Revised Code or division (A)(1) of section 5123.03 of the Revised Code;

(2) A school safety zone if the licensee’s carrying the concealed handgun is in violation of section 2923.122 of the Revised Code;

(3) A courthouse or another building or structure in which a courtroom is located, in violation of section 2923.123 of the Revised Code;

(4) Any premises or open air arena for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code if the licensee’s carrying the concealed handgun is in violation of section 2923.121 of the Revised Code;

(5) Any premises owned or leased by any public or private college, university, or other institution of higher education, unless the handgun is in a locked motor vehicle or the licensee is in the immediate process of placing the handgun in a locked motor vehicle;

(6) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship, unless the church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship posts or permits otherwise;

(7) A child day-care center, a type A family day-care home, a type B family day-care home, or a type C family day-care home, except that this division does not prohibit a licensee who resides in a type A family day-care home, a type B family day-care home, or a type C family day-care home from carrying a concealed handgun at any time in any part of the home that is not dedicated or used for day-care purposes, or from carrying a concealed handgun in a part of the home that is dedicated or used for day-care purposes at any time during which no children, other than children of that licensee, are in the home;

(8) An aircraft that is in, or intended for operation in, foreign air transportation, interstate air transportation, intrastate air transportation, or the transportation of mail by aircraft;

(9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section;

(10) A place in which federal law prohibits the carrying of handguns.

Link Removed

Does your credit union happen to be Navy Federal? There's a sign at my local NFCU that looks just like that. Talking to the posted security guard, she informed me that Navy Federal branches are considered a federal building, and therefore, it would be illegal to carry.

She didn't seem to be prejudiced against CCW holders. In fact, she seemed very glad I was a permit holder. Despite that fact I've been digging around online to find information to no avail. Considering it's a credit union for members of the armed forces, the safe thing to assume is that it's a federal building, and not carry until someone can prove otherwise.

On the bright side, there is an armed security guard posted to each NFCU branch I've been to, so at least there's somebody armed there.

Does your credit union happen to be Navy Federal? There's a sign at my local NFCU that looks just like that. Talking to the posted security guard, she informed me that Navy Federal branches are considered a federal building, and therefore, it would be illegal to carry.

She didn't seem to be prejudiced against CCW holders. In fact, she seemed very glad I was a permit holder. Despite that fact I've been digging around online to find information to no avail. Considering it's a credit union for members of the armed forces, the safe thing to assume is that it's a federal building, and not carry until someone can prove otherwise.

On the bright side, there is an armed security guard posted to each NFCU branch I've been to, so at least there's somebody armed there.

I dont see anything saying the NFCU is a federal facility....merely a bank that limits its customer base.

That's just a sign I linked to that's similar. My credit union is in Nevada -- Silver State Schools Credit Union.

It's amazing how certain people often are of mistaken beliefs.

Link Removed

My credit union too...I remove all, but leave my pistol on my hip when visiting my credit union. Too many meth and oxy junkies around. They are desperate and keep hitting local banks to support their habit. I don't need a toe tag when I go to visit my credit union, therefore I carry.

After I completed the collection of the needed information, I told the manager that 1) I am NOT armed, but that 2) I was surprised to see that there was no "no carry" sign on the front door in light of the increased interest in CC in Ohio.

Can anyone comment on whether I am missing something?

Thanks,
Neal

Respectfully, Neal, you are missing something. You are part of the PRO-gun crowd now. The PRO-gun crowd typically does not ask business managers why their premises are not posted. Usually the PRO-gun crowd are happy when a premises is not posted so we can carry our guns on their premises. :biggrin:

Respectfully, Neal, you are missing something. You are part of the PRO-gun crowd now. The PRO-gun crowd typically does not ask business managers why their premises are not posted. Usually the PRO-gun crowd are happy when a premises is not posted so we can carry our guns on their premises. :biggrin:

+1 If it aint broke, dont try to fix it.

You can carry in banks in Tennessee unless the bank posts a sign. The loophole to this down here though is that the sign has to be clearly put on all of the main entrances, have a picture of the Internationally recognized symbol of the handgun with the cross through it, and have some semi-complicated legal verbiage on it cited from Tennessee law.

Technically, if the establishment just has a picture of the gun with the cross through it and only says "no guns allowed," you're still allowed to carry there. lol

...d security guard, she informed me that Navy Federal branches are considered a federal building, and therefore, it would be illegal to carry... Considering it's a credit union for members of the armed forces, the safe thing to assume is that it's a federal building, and not carry until someone can prove otherwise.
This may or may not be a correct assumption of "Federal" status as it relates to Concealed Carry, depending on the location of the facility. Many branches of the so-called "military" credit unions are located in commercial facilities off base and as such, would not fall under the Federal statute. Many others lease the facility from the Federal government on base, and therefore by virtue of that location actually being Federally-owned real estate, would be subject to prohibiition from Concealed Carry.

This may or may not be a correct assumption of "Federal" status as it relates to Concealed Carry, depending on the location of the facility. Many branches of the so-called "military" credit unions are located in commercial facilities off base and as such, would not fall under the Federal statute. Many others lease the facility from the Federal government on base, and therefore by virtue of that location actually being Federally-owned real estate, would be subject to prohibiition from Concealed Carry.

I recall reading somewhere...that a military recruiting station in a strip shopping center is still considered a federal facility...

I've also seen those signs about the hats,sunglasses,hoodies at TVA Credit Union! But no Gun sign either! So I wear mine in also.
We've banked with the same branches for a long while so I truely dought they'd be worried about us! We see them alot on Friday & one will always pop up & ask if were gonna go kill some paper over the week end,,, They all know we carry so does our bank guard!
Hes even been out with hubby looking at what we have when we are on our way to the range!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back