Carrying extra magazines

Hey Y'all: I'm gonna get crucified for this but I'll say it anyway and live with the replies. WHY IN THE WORLD DO YOU NEED EXTRA MAGS WHEN CC, AND WHAT IN THE WORLD DO YOU THINK YOU WILL BE GETTING INTO REQUIRING THE MAGS? There is always the what if but statistics (check me if I am wrong) indicate that in just about all incidents involving shots fired, less than 5 shots are exchanged--that is why, IMO, revolvers still exist.

Hey Y'all: I'm gonna get crucified for this but I'll say it anyway and live with the replies. WHY IN THE WORLD DO YOU NEED EXTRA MAGS WHEN CC, AND WHAT IN THE WORLD DO YOU THINK YOU WILL BE GETTING INTO REQUIRING THE MAGS? There is always the what if but statistics (check me if I am wrong) indicate that in just about all incidents involving shots fired, less than 5 shots are exchanged--that is why, IMO, revolvers still exist.
Statistically, you'll likely never need to defend yourself with your firearm. But you wouldn't leave that at home, would you? No crucifixion, to each his own. But let's answer the OPs question instead of rationalizing against that for which he has sought advice.

I have Fobus paddle 2-mag holster that I keep 2 G22 mags in. Easy on, easy off. Picked it up used at a gun show for $5. It looks kinda bulky before you put it on, but it conceals well under a T-shirt.

I always have a spare mag in a belt pouch when I carry my 9mm or .45acp. I also carry a backup. You will be hard pressed to find me unarmed since I received my CHP. I know, someone will say something about carrying so much is a sign of poor shooting, but that isn't true at all...I'm an expert shot with my handguns and rifles. :yu:
I thought everyone here was an expert shot?

Kel,
I don't think I'm gonna need a spare mag because I run out of ammunition. (My primary carry is a high cap .45 with a 13+1 capacity. If I run into something that the proper application of 14 of CorBon's finest hollowpoints can't get me out of, I'm pretty much screwed from the word, "Go." I carry a spare mag because I don't trust 1 single magazine that I own enough to gamble my life on it functioning. I also don't see the logic in reseating a mag that just failed when doing a failure clearance drill if a tap and rack doesn't fix it. If the mag has to come out, I just dump it and grab another one (do a reload drill) and you can't do that if you ain't got a spare.

I thought everyone here was an expert shot?

I'm not. I just play one on TV.:biggrin:

Not really, I'm just outspoken AND opinionated. But I also don't have any delusions of grandeur. I've shot with World Champion shooters, special operations personnel and the folks that train World Champions and special operations personnel and I know that I'm a middle of the pack (some place in the middle 33%) shooter. Maybe, on a good day with the stars and planets in the proper alignment and me holding my mouth just right, I'm on the upper edge of the middle 1/3 and that's as good as I'll ever get. On a bad day, I'm toward the middle or lower of the middle 1/3. Seriously, I'm as 'middle of the pack' as you can get. I shot a match one time where only 7 folks showed up. I finished 4th- right behind the 12 year old girl shooting borrowed guns.:sarcastic:

That being said, just because I'm slow don't mean I don't know what I'm doing. I know I'll never be fast enough to compete with the big dogs, so I concentrated on not missing by much and versatility when it comes to techniques.

I carry one mag loose in the offside pocket of my cover(vest/jacket) or in a Kydex beltclip single mag holder. In my vehicle I carry 2 moremags in a belt double carrier plus light and extra knife. In the area where I travel most, 30 rounds on my person is adequate for any occurance I might encounter. The downside of pocket carrying is the crud that gets in the mag.

A type 3 malfunction is a feedway stoppage, the mother of all stoppages,which requires replacing the mag with another. It is not because 14 is not enough. It is better to be prepared and carry the backup, than not to have it when it may be needed. Most fights are 4 or fewer shots. I would fire a minimum of 3 (unless there were more than one BG, then each BG would get their share followed by seconds and thirds).

Others have covered the reasons for more than one magazine. As to revolvers, I also carry one or two speed loaders or strips when carrying a revolver. When the first exchange is over all of my trainers have emphasized reloading.

I usually have a total of 3 mags. One in my first gun. A second in a back up gun and the third in a mag carrier.

Almost the same here, i to have 3 mags, one in the first gun, (G-36 or 21) second in the G-27 in pocket, and if I,m in the mood the third in my little buddy on my ankle

Not to be smart but ..... when I lived in Florida , I saw two LEOs killed because they ran out of ammo , at the time they carried revolvers and only had one reload . Now myself , I carry a 12 rnd mag in my peace and two extra mags on my off side and one in the pipe for 37 rnds. plus a BUG with 7 rnds in it .

I truely believe I am on my own in a bad situation. I carry 2 eight rounders (spares). It dont matter if I am in tucson or home. I learned in the corps. 5 minutes can feel like a hour when the crap hits the fan. I dont carry cause its a 2nd A right, I carry cause it might save my life. Its not a feel good thing. Its not about being comfortable. Its a different life style. I cant say you should carry 2 or more reloads but,,,, at least carry one! And the extra in the glove box DONT COUNT!! I have carried in a knife case on my belt or in a pocket. But now days I buy a dual mag pouch When I buy a new holster.

Hi, All,
I know this thread is old, but in case someone new looks at it, I'd like to add a few facts that lean me towards more ammo in a self-defense carry.

First, on the earlier point that most encounters average no more than five shots. That is because the vast history of such things usually involved folks who didn't HAVE more than five shots to shoot.

Second, as I look over the criminal acts these days, including such things as home burglaries, it is rare nowadays to find it "one on one". There are usually 2-5 perps. This is true up here in the PNW in muggings, burglaries, car snatches of occupied vehicles and many other events we are seeing.

Third, depending on whether or not you get shot, and whether your gun malfunctions, you may find use not only for a spare mag, but a spare gun as well.
No, I don't normally wear suspenders with my belt, but I do carry BUG and mags for both.

Fourth, pls temper the previous statement with this nod to Glocks and other hi-caps: If your gun already has 17 in it, you may not need a spare mag, but it worn't hurt for the reasons previously stated by others. Also says you do need a BUG. My 1911 is quite reliable, but only carries 8+1.

And, don't forget that the same data that told us about five shot limit fights also told us that on average, 80% of such rounds are MISSES. Means the average person who found themselves in a fight needed five shots to get one hit. Seems that panic does that to people, according to science.

Just notes to consider. Insurance. May never need it. But my timing says I can reload by mag change faster than I can get a BUG out and into the fray.
Best wishes to all who are here. Be safe.
Rick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back