Carry extra magazine? How?

crash7

I'm not yet carrying (app is being processed), but I'm trying to figure out how to carry the pistol (S&W Shield), an extra mag, my cell phone, keys, pocketknife, change, wallet, etc without suspenders to keep my damn pants from falling down. I've got a couple holsters (Remora and BladeTech) that I've been wearing around the house to get used to the feel, but I'm not sure where to carry another mag (my left hip is now my cellphone).

Suggestions from those with experience?

Cellphone goes in my shirt pocket. I've got a double mag holder that I wear on the weak side, but frankly I don't carry it all the time. If 12 rounds aren't enough to defuse a situation I'm probably in big trouble.

I tend to agree that "if 12 rounds don't diffuse the situation you're in big trouble", but if I am in big trouble, I'll certainly want to be prepared for it.

I also go with a tuckable double mag pouch IWB on the weak side

Depends on whether you are wearing pants with a belt or not.

Without a belt is more difficult as the weight of the gun, cell phone, magazine, extras will tend to drag the pants down. In this case I would recommend a Belly Band or Smart Carry where the weight is on the holster around the waist instead of on the pants.

Wearing pants with a belt: First you need a good gun belt to handle the weight. Cheap dress belts wear out quickly under the stress. Second, decide where you will carry the extra magazine(s). Personally I carry my extras in a cargo pocket. If wearing pants without cargo pockets it goes on the belt (weak side) or in the rear left pocket.

And remember: "One is none and two is one." Clint Smith

(Not in reply directly to the OP) - Extra mags are not a good idea only because of the extra ammo they carry, they're a good idea also because of a jam/FTF/FTE that might happen for any number of reasons. It's faster/easier to clear most malfunctions in the same motion(s) used to reload a mag, and even if you don't have a malfunction, tactical reloads are taught at every advanced handgun course I've ever taken anyway. 12 rounds may indeed be "enough," but even if you only fire five or six rounds in an initial engagement, is it your habit to reholster immediately, or do you scan the area for accomplices of the bad guy as you're doing a tactical reload? If "12 rounds is enough" for one bad guy, are only six or seven "enough" for the undetermined number of friends waiting in the shadows to pounce when they see that you're totally focused on their friend and not what they're getting ready to do? Some things to think about.

(In direct reply to the OP) - I carry one extra mag in a small leather OWB holder weak-side on my belt. Concealability is not an issue for me since I open carry more than 90% of the time. Back when I concealed all the time, I nearly stopped using traditional holsters altogether, and used a shirt-carry system instead. The one I used was called "Link Removed" but 5.11 and others make various designs of widely varying prices too. It's a compromise, to be sure, mostly because of the cross-draw positioning, but you've already announced your willingness to compromise your carry practices because of your (apparent) unwillingness to move your phone from where a mag holder would normally go anyway, so it might be just what you're looking for. As RJT CCW said, if you're going to depend on a belt to carry the added weight of a gun and (at least one) extra mag, get a good gun belt. Again, many makers out there, some with lifetime bennies, like free resizing if you gain or lose weight, some with greater or lesser periods of warranty on workmanship etc., and some that are either more than you need to spend or too cheap to be of adequate quality for what you need. Gotta look around and ask about specific makers that you're interested in. As far as cell phone, keys, pocketknife, change, wallet, etc, I strongly suggest they stay in pockets and out of the way of your draw-stroke or reloading motions. If you can't accomplish that, then a shirt system may be your only (better, but not *best*) alternative.

Blues

I appreciate the replies. (I'm right handed...) I've thought about moving knife and change from left front pocket to right front with keys. Then phone can go in empty left front pocket with no worries about scratches. That would free up my 9 o'clock belt position for a mag.

I'd want a mag holster that can slip off belt fairly easy due to needing to dis-arm and re-arm as I come and go from prohibited areas (gotta love Illinois).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't take either the mag carrier nor my holster off when going into a restricted area. Just remove the mags/gun.

I also carry a Shield. If I'm wearing jeans I use the match pocket otherwise I'm wearing cargo shorts or pants and have plenty of pockets.

I am right handed. In the front-right pocket goes: knife, pepper spray, and secondary wallet. The knife is clipped to the pant. The secondary wallet is in-between the knife and the pepper spray. In the front-left pocket goes: flashlight and keys (and sometimes the primary wallet and cell phone). I usually carry my primary wallet and cell phone separately in the two shirt pockets, but sometimes I do wear a shirt without pockets. In this case, both go in the front-left pocket.

My Glock 26 or 19 is on the belt IWB at 4 o'clock and my dual magazine holster is on the belt OWB at 8 o'clock. I sometimes carry an extra magazine in the front-left pant pocket. In this case, I do not carry the dual magazine holster. My rear-left pocket contains a handkerchief.

When wearing cargo pants/shorts (which is most of the time), the front-right cargo pocket contains: a CAT tourniquet and some Quick Clot. The front-left cargo pocket contains: one Israeli Bandage Battle Dressing.

I remove my gun and the two magazines when temporarily entering a gun-free zone. When being all-day in a gun-free zone, I also do not carry the holsters.

No matter what you carry and how, carry most if not all items consistently in the same place, even if you don't carry your gun on a particular day. Train and practice with your setup. You will figure out what works and what doesn't.

33101ca4-9889-49a7-8b63-1254b2970386.png

I support the advice:

1. Get a good stiff belt
2. Extra mags are good for more bad guys AND mag failures.

My suggestion, find a holster that has a mag pouch built into the front of the holster if you have nowhere else to put it (see attached).

I personally carry two extra mags on my reaction side (9 o'clock), firearm on weapon side (3 o'clock). If I need to conceal/bug, XDS in front right pocket, extra mags in front left pocket.

My first aid supplies are in a bag (I carry much more than bofa... But then again I have more experience in the medical field I assume...he carries minimally exactly what you need to survive until medics arrive). Now that I have a baby boy, it looks like a diaper bag instead of a man purse/gym bag.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

I have a holster for the range that has a built-in mag holder. however, for CC, I prefer the separate mag holder worn on the left side at 8 o'clock so I can access it with my left hand while dumping the empty mag out of the gun with my right. Only takes about 2 seconds, or so, to accomplish.

Summer is here in South Texas. Cargo shorts rule with plenty of pocket space Its either my 3Speed Holster G19 and has a spare magazine carrier built in. or My N82 Holster and 2 Glock magazine carriers on weak side. (LCP in left side main pocket as BUG)Link Removed

Remora makes single and double mag carriers that you can put in your pocket. I've settled on a double mag carrier in my non-dominant side with an extended mag and a flashlight. Works quite well.

With jeans there is that weird pocket in the right pocket that fits a compact mag pretty well. And while in cargo shorts I just carry in my right cargo pocket since I draw on the lefty side.

With jeans there is that weird pocket in the right pocket that fits a compact mag pretty well. And while in cargo shorts I just carry in my right cargo pocket since I draw on the lefty side.

That weird pocket is the watch pocket. It comes from the past before wrist watches were common when people carried pocket watches.

Remora gives you a free mag holder when you buy a holster. Holster with mag holder is a good idea. I have a pocket mag holder for my Kel Tec P-32 which I keep in a shirt pocket. Also have a Remora mag holder for my Bersa which I keep IWB. You just have to find what works for you.
:triniti:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back