Car carry

Banjarmon

I'm thinking of mounting the shell of an AG holster inside the car to keep the weapon handy and safe.
Any ideas and suggestions are welcome

Howdy,

Why?

Let's say you have your handgun in its holster that's mounted in your car an you stop at the gas station for gas.

Your filler tube is on the passenger's side so you have to walk around to access it.

Meanwhile, 2 young gangbangers approach you in a standard pinching move ( that's one from your right and one from your left with you between them and your vehicle ).

How long do you think it will take you to reach your gun?

My bet would be waaaaaay to long.

I'm not a fan of "car carry" and what I posted above is just one of the reasons why.

Paul

Here in the Detroit area, it isn't wise to gas up when you are unarmed. Situational awareness is also paramount.

Having said that, I don't think that's what the OP was intending to do. I think he just wants something to keep the gun from sliding around while he is driving, and still have it accessible.

I am right-handed and carry cross-draw, which makes it easy to access my weapon while driving, but I would also like to mount some sort of holster between my legs, on the console or in the door map compartment for a back-up gun perhaps. There are car holsters and lockable safes available, but I haven't had the chance to research them. Just google it, and I'm sure you'll find something.

I'm thinking of mounting the shell of an AG holster inside the car to keep the weapon handy and safe.
Any ideas and suggestions are welcome

One never knows when/if they will need their firearm. If you are traveling down the highway at 65 mph and it is legal to carry like that, so be it, if it is more comfortable to you. Personally, I don't remove it from my hip until I'm ready to change for bed at night. Then it gets stored in a mattress holster.

The gun is useless if it is not instantly accessible... and if it could be grabbed by someone else, it is now a detriment to you.

I mounted a Blackhawk Serpa holster on the inside of my center console. Right there where I can easily grab my Glock 19. More accessible there than in my hip holster. If I get out of the car, I remove it and place it in the hip holster.
Link Removed

One never knows when/if they will need their firearm. If you are traveling down the highway at 65 mph and it is legal to carry like that, so be it, if it is more comfortable to you. Personally, I don't remove it from my hip until I'm ready to change for bed at night. Then it gets stored in a mattress holster.

You sound like a superhero!

But even Superman needed to change in a local telephone booth. It's kind of like Superman didn't carry with one in the chamber.

Relax. The chance of anything happening are so small for most of us as to be almost nil.

Yay. Another five year old cartoon response.

Too bad what I wrote is true.

And it's too bad you can't actually come up with a response.

Yay. Another five year old cartoon response.

Too bad what I wrote is true.

And it's too bad you can't actually come up with a response.

Well, let's see - right now you've got 57 posts and 7 likes to your posts. Not bad. That's about 1 like every 8 posts. I've got 5580+ posts over 5 1/4 years and 5930 likes on my posts. Hmmmm...... seems like people prefer my five year old cartoon responses a lot more than your same opinion expressed over and over again. Like I said in another thread - you might have better luck with Moms Demand Action. If you don't annoy the crap out of them first.

I posted a response to the car carry question while ago. Here is a slightly updated response:

As someone who experienced two car accidents, I can say that everything that is not properly secured will become airborne and has the potential to injure or kill you or someone else. A screwed down SERPA holster with its active retention is fine. A holster with passive retention is probably the worst choice. It also should be out of sight from someone standing next to the driver door, like someone walking by in the parking lot or a police officer during a traffic stop. State laws should be obviously followed as well.

Never leave a firearm (loaded or not) unlocked in your locked (or unlocked) vehicle. It is bad enough that I need to even have a GunVault Nanovault in my car, if for some reason I need to enter a gun-free zone and leave my firearm in the vehicle. Leaving it visibly behind is just asking for it to get stolen. Even leaving it behind unlocked inside the locked vehicle (e.g. in the center console or glove box), makes it still vulnerable to a smash and grab job.

I personally carry on the body (4 o'clock) in the car and practice the draw. The most important lesson here is not to sit on the shirt that covers your concealed firearm. Instead, sit down in the car, close and lock the door, and lift the back of the shirt you are sitting on above the firearm and between the holster and your skin, while keeping it concealed from the outside view. The draw requires me to only slightly lean forward to the left to access the firearm and remove it from the holster. It is slightly slower than drawing while standing, but keep in mind that you do have another option: Drive over the threat if a legal self defense situation with a deadly weapon exists.

Here is why I don't advise to go the mounted holster option: What if you do get involved in a car accident? Will you leave your firearm in the car? Will you holster the firearm first, before exiting the car? What if holstering your gun, i.e., having the gun in your hand, right after an accident is perceived by someone else as a thread? Too many variables to be worried about in a stressful situation. The only thing I have to worry about is accidentally exiting the car after a crash in open carry vs. concealed carry mode. Since my state does not differentiate between both, it is perfectly legal for me. Note that all of this also applies to other situations, such as when you need to exit the car to help someone.

PS: I had one "positive" experience during the last car accident. A women ignored a stop sign and just drove across the intersection, putting her car right in front of mine. With a total of 4 people in my car, there was not enough room for me to come to a stop. I hit the other car in the back of the left side, turning it 180 degrees. No-one was injured. Both cars were totaled. Now, here is the "positive" experience. I had an adrenaline dump, experienced tunnel vision targeting the threat, and perceived time as being slowed down. All effects someone would experience in a serious self defense situation. Probably the best "training" of my life, costing a total of $25,000 in property damage inflicted by the other driver.

When I'm driving long distances I carry via shoulder rig (if wearing jacket) or pocket. I have some pants modified to pocket carry which are excellent. I don't even notice the weapon. On the hip tends to get uncomfortable if I'm driving hours at a time.

If I could I would install a turret and a 50 Cal machine gun, would look awesome on my Jeep Wrangler :)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

If I could I would install a turret and a 50 Cal machine gun, would look awesome on my Jeep Wrangler :)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

With all that obummer, Reid and all the other minions are doing we all may be forced to to that. Nut I agree that it would look AWESOME! :smile:

Howdy,

The gun is useless if it is not instantly accessible... and if it could be grabbed by someone else, it is now a detriment to you.

Wow wolf_fire! I agree with you too!

Yep, if it's not easily accessible you are unarmed. If it is more than an arm's length away,
your unarmed.

I've never understood the "it's too uncomfortable to carry a gun!" statement. I have a friend that's 6' 4" 270lbs and claims that even a small pocket pistol is too heavy and bulky for him to carry. I just don't get it.

After having eye surgery I've been shooting a lot lately with my Glock 23 w/ a Ciener .22LR conversion kit so I have switched to a different EDC gun. I've been rotating from a Glock 20 10mm, a Glock 35 .40S&W, a steel framed Norinco 1911A1 .45acp and a Taurus PT 845 .45acp. Mainly I've been carrying the Taurus .45 which is a full size 12-shot double stack DA/SA semi-auto pistol and even after carrying all day long including driving over 100 miles round trip, having lunch with the Wife, shopping at Sam's, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Lowe's, Tractor Supply, WalMart, and Petco, I never once said "I wish I had worn a smaller, lighter gun."

Paul

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back