Car accident: What to do to secure firearm?

Dale64

Defying Gravity
My wife was in an accident this morning and thank goodness she is OK and there is only cosmetic damage to the vehicle.
However, on my way to the accident scene to help her I started thinking to myself. What would I have to do if I had a legally posessed firearm in the vehicle? What if I did not have a CCW permit? What if the vehicle had to be towed away? How would I be able to secure my weapon and still be legal?
Can't just put it in my pocket!
Can't just expose it at the accident scene without raising some concern!
I don't think I would want to give it to a LEO, they may have a problem giving it back.
I suppose I would have to get a ride from someone that hopefully wouldn't mind transporting the weapon and myself to my home.
So, what do you do if you are in an accident, NO CCW permit and the car is about to get towed away???

My wife was in an accident this morning and thank goodness she is OK and there is only cosmetic damage to the vehicle.
However, on my way to the accident scene to help her I started thinking to myself. What would I have to do if I had a legally posessed firearm in the vehicle? What if I did not have a CCW permit? What if the vehicle had to be towed away? How would I be able to secure my weapon and still be legal?
Can't just put it in my pocket!
Can't just expose it at the accident scene without raising some concern!
I don't think I would want to give it to a LEO, they may have a problem giving it back.
I suppose I would have to get a ride from someone that hopefully wouldn't mind transporting the weapon and myself to my home.
So, what do you do if you are in an accident, NO CCW permit and the car is about to get towed away???

This would be where a car gun safe would come into play. Your firearm would be locked inside safe and sound away from prying eyes. If it did get towed you would just show up at the towing companies yard show them your id. Then collect your belongings from the car and be on your way.

sorry about what happend today and thankfully your wife is ok. imo i dont store my gun in the car for this reason, but not soley on this reason alone. i feel that if a gun is in the car it should be on my person. this way if somthing happend no need to try and hide the fact a gun is now layin someplace in the car. cause who is to say the glove compartment will stay shut. me and my gf were in a car wreck a few years ago and my knee went right through the glove box.. like all the way through it. thank god no gun was in there cause we would of had a hell of a time tryin to get it back with the way it was crushed from my knee.
i also feel that if you want to store your gun in the car a good gun safe is a great idea. gunvault makes one for about 30 bucks...

best wishes

By the way... not trying to store the gun in the vehicle.
Hypothetically, I am coming home from the range, my handgun is in my range bag.
Suddenly I get T-boned by a drunk and my vehicle becomes disabled and will have to be towed. I can not get in touch with any friends or family that can pick me up. (That would be almost impossible, but this is a hypothetical situation)
Now I am stuck on the street with a range bag in my hand that contains a firearm.
Now what? :fie:

By the way... not trying to store the gun in the vehicle.
Hypothetically, I am coming home from the range, my handgun is in my range bag.
Suddenly I get T-boned by a drunk and my vehicle becomes disabled and will have to be towed. I can not get in touch with any friends or family that can pick me up. (That would be almost impossible, but this is a hypothetical situation)
Now I am stuck on the street with a range bag in my hand that contains a firearm.
Now what? :fie:

What do you mean now what? It's already in a a bag no one can see your holding a firearm. Remove the bag and get in a taxi or walk to a place someone can pick you up at. The police can not search your bag with out a warrant or other just cause. So I guess I fail to see the problem?

What do you mean now what? It's already in a a bag no one can see your holding a firearm. Remove the bag and get in a taxi or walk to a place someone can pick you up at. The police can not search your bag with out a warrant or other just cause. So I guess I fail to see the problem?

I agree.

They can't search your bag unless they have "reasonable articulable suspicion". So it shouldn't matter.

Or if you can, open carry.

If you can't, and are REALLY worried about it, unload it and if anyone somehow does ask you. You are just transporting it. That normally isn't a crime in and of itself.

+1 Infadel & armyman

I'm not a lawyer.

But I understand, you can legally transport your firearm in a rangebag to & from the range in most of the states. So, I don't see any problem if you run into a circumstance that requires you to change your mode of transport. (WITH the EXCEPTION of some city bus lines & posted taxicabs.)

I would be more concerned about any "must" notify laws. If you have to tell the officer you have a firearm in your possession, then all bets are off and you're at the mercy of the officer.

I agree.

They can't search your bag unless they have "reasonable articulable suspicion". So it shouldn't matter.

Or if you can, open carry.

If you can't, and are REALLY worried about it, unload it and if anyone somehow does ask you. You are just transporting it. That normally isn't a crime in and of itself.

If someone does ask you if you have a firearm(and it's not a must notify state) plead the 5th and shut up. Again even if they think you do have a firearm they cant search your bag with out a warrant or you consenting to a search. I carry around cards from a local firearm attorney and I would remove one and read it word for word to the officer. I'll post it here for you.

Non-Waiver of 4th, 5th, 6th and 14th Amendment Rights.
I do not waive any constitutional rights. I hereby invoke my rights as guaranteed by the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 14th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution and parallel state law protections. I do not consent to a search of my person, belongings, home or car. I do not consent to any further detention of my person, belongings or car. AM I FREE TO GO NOW? If not, why not? If not, I hereby invoke my 4th Amendment right to refuse permission to search (do not resist physically), 6th Amendment right to an attorney as well as my 5th Amendment right to remain silent until an attorney is provided.

Sounds reasonable enough...

Just wanted to throw the thought out there for discussion.
Discussing scenarios such as this is how myself and other newbies learn.
It just suddenly occurred to me today that anytime we are transporting a firearm in the car we could get into a serious accident and its just one more thing to deal with. One of my greatest concerns would be to make sure it does not get into the wrong hands.
Locking the gun up in a safe sounds great in theory, but seriously, how many of you lock up your handgun in a safe when you are returning home from the range?
My other concern would be if I was carrying concealed and the accident rendered me unconcious (or worse). There is certainly a potential for someone, whether it be an EMT or LEO, to have to remove the weapon and possibly injuring themselves or you in the process.

It just suddenly occurred to me today that anytime we are transporting a firearm in the car we could get into a serious accident and its just one more thing to deal with. One of my greatest concerns would be to make sure it does not get into the wrong hands.
Locking the gun up in a safe sounds great in theory, but seriously, how many of you lock up your handgun in a safe when you are returning home from the range?
My other concern would be if I was carrying concealed and the accident rendered me unconcious (or worse). There is certainly a potential for someone, whether it be an EMT or LEO, to have to remove the weapon and possibly injuring themselves or you in the process.

Again when you first posted this thread you left out the whole gun range thing. You asked about driving with a firearm in the car as such we suggested the gun safe for the car. If it's just a short drive to the range and back my firearm would be on me. For longer drives I remove it and stick it in the door pocket(soon to be car safe) then reapply it when I get out of the car. If they did find a firearm on you while you could not respond more then likely they (the police) would check your wallet for a permit. If they did end up removing your HOLSTED firearm and eneded up discharging it. It would be all on them and I'm sure whoever they shot would sue the shit out of them.

No worries really there either.

EMTs & Leos are trained in knowing how to secure your firearm. In the case of your incapacitation, an EMT or LEO will secure your weapon. Then once you arrive at the hospital they will turn it over to hospital security. There it will be checked and placed in a safe where you are a family member can claim your personal belongings.

Honestly, you really do not need to concern yourself with such things. Though CC may be new to you, incidents like you've described have been happening for years!

No worries really there either.

EMTs & Leos are trained in knowing how to secure your firearm. In the case of your incapacitation, an EMT or LEO will secure your weapon. Then once you arrive at the hospital they will turn it over to hospital security. There it will be checked and placed in a safe where you are a family member can claim your personal belongings.

Honestly, you really do not need to concern yourself with such things. Though CC may be new to you, incidents like you've described have been happening for years!

That is not always the case! In some cases they keep the firearm at the station and it takes months and years to get it back. It depends on the state/city. Is it legal to do that Hell no but do they still do it YES.

That is not always the case! In some cases they keep the firearm at the station and it takes months and years to get it back. It depends on the state/city. Is it legal to do that Hell no but do they still do it YES.

Well that would suck.

I'm glad I live in SC.

Checking with the local PD is definitely good advice though.

Well that would suck.

I'm glad I live in SC.

Checking with the local PD is definitely good advice though.

I know the Manchester PD here in NH was pulling crap like that. They would make you fill out paper work and go through a back ground check just to get your firearm back. They tried to claim they could not turn over a firearm to someone who may not be able to own it. The courts said enough of that dog and pony show and ordered to them stop and return all firearms.

Good Auto Safe I recommend

I don't live in your state nor do I know what is a legal storage device. Here is the Auto safe I use for two reasons.
1) When I travel there are states I must lock up my weapon in order to travel thru.
2) Auto insurance only covers theft from a vehicle up to $500. My 1911, laser grip, Ammo & holster cost well over that.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/2...AS-1_autosafe_

Cheapest I found was on Amazon $29.97
Link Removed

I like this safe since I can remove from vehicle and hook to bed in hotel room when I'm in town for business and can't carry my weapon or have in vehicle either.

It's small but hold my 3 inch 1911 and two spare magazines.

Hope this helps,

Chap

I knew that 29 yrs in Military

Just a mistake on my part when typing. Gets old when people correct the clip/mag issue. Bullet/ammo ect................ oh well anything to boost their post count I guess.

Was a Paramedic for 25 years as a younger man had this happen before Texas had CC, younger friend of mine that is still a paramedic said the only time he had it happen they turned the weapon over to LEO.

Just a mistake on my part when typing. Gets old when people correct the clip/mag issue. Bullet/ammo ect................ oh well anything to boost their post count I guess.

Exactly, and the grammer/ how to type people as well. lol. I seem to get it alot on here.

Im looking into a safe from gunvault for the car. Its a little compact one for about $30 bucks. this way i can lock it up where ever i choose and can take it out of the car as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back