Can truck drivers carry?

Hey guys,

I was having a discussion with my future father in law. He stated he wished he could carry a gun in his truck, but thinks it is illegal even with CHL Anyone with information on this?

As far as I can tell its legal so long as you have a CHL and the state honors the permit. Anyone know of any federal, DOT, or other relevant laws?

Hey guys,

I was having a discussion with my future father in law. He stated he wished he could carry a gun in his truck, but thinks it is illegal even with CHL Anyone with information on this?

As far as I can tell its legal so long as you have a CHL and the state honors the permit. Anyone know of any federal, DOT, or other relevant laws?

Don't know of any legal restrictions, but I do know that I've trained many truck drivers who intend to carry while driving interstate.

gf

I've heard about the FOPA for driving through an anti-state like NY. I just didn't know if there were any DOT regs or anything that would prevent it.

There are no DOT or other Federal restrictions on it. The only issues are 1) where you drive at the time...NY, NJ...Canada...and 2) Company policy. If the trucking company prohibits it then you could be fired if found out.

I've heard about the FOPA for driving through an anti-state like NY. I just didn't know if there were any DOT regs or anything that would prevent it.

Truckers are subject to the same restrictions as any other citizen with regards to carrying a firearm in vehicle.
And unfortuantely, the provisions of the FOPA really don't authorize carrying in a manner which makes the gun accessible.

"In order for FOPA to apply, the firearm must be unloaded and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported can be 'readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle.' In vehicles without a trunk, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

It must also be lawful for the traveller to possess firearms in the two jurisdictions where the travel begins and ends. Careful consideration of laws in both jurisdictions is advisable. Since local laws vary widely, there are no universally applicable guidelines. NRA-ILA publishes pamphlets analyzing the firearms laws of all 50 states, available online."

Link Removed

bill

I guess to rephrase my question:

If you have a CCW permit and are in a state which recognizes the permit. Are truckers denied the right based on any DOT rules, etc?

I guess to rephrase my question:

If you have a CCW permit and are in a state which recognizes the permit. Are truckers denied the right based on any DOT rules, etc?
No. Keep in mind that some armored cars are commercial vehicles. There is no DOT regulation prohibiting the operator of a commercial vehicle to carry.

Thanks for the input everyone. My future father in law isn't to keen on the net and I don't want my research to put him in jail! lol I'll tell him to steer clear of NY and IL if at all possible. There is yet another issue lol he is a contractor and constantly picks up and drop off loads at airports..

Damn it all- Why can't we all just adopt the Ted Nugent philosophy "The 2nd amendment is my carry permit PERIOD"

I drive and I carry. In states that don't have reciprocity with my CPL which isn't very many I lock my firearm in a small gun safe in a sidebox until I get clear of that state. I have never had a problem with my company because my boss has no issues with it if I am responsible and still make him a fortune every week.

I do not carry into customers very often. The only issue I've had is deliveries to military locations.

I've even been stopped in California and had no issues at all.

I know the FOPA requires the firearm to be in a locked container, seperate from the ammo, etc.

FOPA does NOT require the firearm to be in a locked container UNLESS the vehicle does not have an exterior compartment and the firearm is carried in the passenger compartment.

FOPA also does NOT require the firearm to be separated from the ammo. FOPA does require the ammo to be separated from the occupants of the vehicle, but not from the gun.

Truck Driver Carry

Hey guys,

Curious....

Is there ever a Truck Driver (or Biker) that DOESN'T carry or have a gun with them??? LOL.

Only areas I know of where federal law and concealed carry collide are 18 USC 926B and 18 USC 926C--LEO carry.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back