Can all the idiots stop carrying so they don't ruin it for the rest of us...

scottbland247

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/orange_news/052511-Victims-in-smokey-bones-restaurant-shooting-released

The coverage of this story has been fraught with half truths and fearmongering but none of it would happen if this guy had been carrying responsibly. If you value the existence of gun rights please either use them with intelligence or leave them for someone more mature to use... (***place where you get to imagine all the things I want to mutter under my breath right now)

Could not pick up in the video but, just based on your remarks, you are absolutley right in what you say. Even the "tone" of some repliers on this forum scare me with their very aggressive comments, although I am sure some of that is easy bravado when sitting at a computer. All in all, with the media being in the pocket of the liberal left anti-gun people, stupidity with a firearm is just the "food" they need to get their point across, even though many of them probably own firearms (which, of course, would be excused under gun control because they are legislators etal and only THEY know how to use them) or have government protection--in any event their LEOs are seconds away--us poor schm__ks can fend for ourselves since LEOs are really minutes if not hours away, not to mention the lessons all of us should remember when it comes to a government establishing a fascist base, which is a heck of a lot easier when the populace is disarmed.

The link's not working.
However, I feel the same way that you do. I would prefer "certain" people such as idiots and macho headed morons who get a thrill up there leg from carrying did not carry a firearm.

But, even idiots and morons have the "Right to bear arms" and protect themselves from BGs. That's the way it has to be if we want to live in a "FREE" nation.

IMHO;
If you are NOT a BG with evil intent, you should have the "RIGHT" to carry a firearm.
BUT!!!!
If you decide to be a BG and take away someone elses right to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness", then you should also lose the same rights you stole from your victims.

(ie; If a BG takes away a life, he needs to pay with his life. If a BG steals someone elses property, he should lose his right to own property. If a BG robs or assaults someone and takes away their right to personal safety, they should forfeit all their rights to safety & privacy.)

I think your thead title might as well be:
"Can all the the BGs stop carrying so they don't make the rest of us feel the need to carry..."

Unfortunately, BGs, idiots and morons will ALWAYS find access to firearms. There will always be those instances where idiots, BGs and morons make it difficult for the rest of us. Thus is LIFE in a FREE country. (THANK YOU GOD for this GREAT nation!)

As long as I can add "people who are too dumb to carry without shooting a restaurant lobby" to the bad guy list I agree with you.

The link's not working.
However, I feel the same way that you do. I would prefer "certain" people such as idiots and macho headed morons who get a thrill up there leg from carrying did not carry a firearm.

But, even idiots and morons have the "Right to bear arms" and protect themselves from BGs. That's the way it has to be if we want to live in a "FREE" nation.

IMHO;
If you are NOT a BG with evil intent, you should have the "RIGHT" to carry a firearm.
BUT!!!!
If you decide to be a BG and take away someone elses right to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness", then you should also lose the same rights you stole from your victims.

(ie; If a BG takes away a life, he needs to pay with his life. If a BG steals someone elses property, he should lose his right to own property. If a BG robs or assaults someone and takes away their right to personal safety, they should forfeit all their rights to safety & privacy.)

I think your thead title might as well be:
"Can all the the BGs stop carrying so they don't make the rest of us feel the need to carry..."

Unfortunately, BGs, idiots and morons will ALWAYS find access to firearms. There will always be those instances where idiots, BGs and morons make it difficult for the rest of us. Thus is LIFE in a FREE country. (THANK YOU GOD for this GREAT nation!)

Here it is for you.

ORLANDO, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) -

A 4-year old was released from the hospital on Wednesday after he and his mother were injured the night before when a gun accidentally discharged at an Orlando restaurant. Police say it happened at the Smokey Bones Restaurant off East Colonial.

"Jacob got some shrapnel in his hands. He's four years old. It's very very scary, people walking around with a 9mm in their pocket." Shari Minter says her daughter Kristin Heaney and grandson Jacob were injured in the Smokey Bones restaurant off E. Colonial.

Police say, a gun went off in the pocket of the man standing behind them.The bullet hit the floor, but pieces of the tile then injured three others including Jacob. Police say the gun owner had a concealed weapons permit.

"I think the permit gives you lots of options." Gun law expert Jon Gutmacher says even if a business posts a sign banning guns it doesn't always work.

"Does it make it illegal for someone to go in there with a concealed weapons permit and disobey the sign? In my opinion no, you can do it."

Police say, the 9mm gun wasn't in a holster. Another person was also injured from shrapnel, as well as the gun owner himself.

"It blows me away. It's a Springfield XD 9mm. It's has a grip safety and trigger safety. Intentionally or not intentionally he would have had to move the trigger back, it's only about a 5 pound pull."

Jon recommends using a pocket holster to prevent guns from accidentally going off, "It makes the firearm easily accessible and makes it safer."

The name of the gun owner was not released because the case is still under investigation. He was charged with culpable negligence.
lllllllllllll

Another reason to recommend the use of a good holster. According to the article the gun in question was an XD 9mm. I suspect it was the subcompact model but that was not specified in the article. The XD9-SC is a double stack 3" pistol. It is a very large pistol for pocket carry.

As stated in the article, the XD has a trigger safety and a grip safety, The trigger safety functions simply by mechanically limiting the trigger's travel. The grip safety functions by internally engaging the trigger with the sear and both grip and trigger work to gether to disengage a third safety which blocks the striker.

The striker and mainspring are fully charged in an XD unlike a glock where the action of the trigger moves the striker to the fully charged position.

It is difficult to imagine a situation in which an XD would accidently discharge. An object engaging the trigger would not fire the pistol. It is unlikely but I suppose a drawstring wrapped once around the handgrip and over the trigger could cause an accidental discharge if enough tension was placed on the string, but I think that to be an unlikely scenario.

At least in this case the injuries appear to be quite minor. Superficial abrasions from floor tile is a very cheap butchers bill for a negligent (or accidental) discharge

I thought when you carried it had to be in a secured holster? That is just sad!

Sadly no! We have people who choose to carry "gangster style" when carrying concealed, or in this numb-nuts case pocket carry with out a holster. To bad he didn't shoot his reproductive parts off, one person with no brain and a firearm is enough.

What a TOOL!..... Playing with a gun when there is a child at your feet is inexcusable!! We all know he will claim that the gun just went off, "ALL BY ITSELF". That might be believeable if it were HOLSTERED!

XD-9 has a grip safety he had to discharge it. You cannot legislate stupid, hell if we did congress/senate would cease to exist. Mothers comment that gun in pocket is scary, how did she know it was in pocket. I think this idot was playing with the gun and discharged same.

An uninentional discharge of his firearm causes injury to others, and all he's charged with is culpable negligence? Does this mean he still gets to keep his permit, and possibly continue to carry this way? What an outrage!

Almost all of the smaller "pocket" semi autos test out (Not Manufacturer listed specs) at around 5# trigger pull. I pocket carry (Revolver) and IMHO that is way too light a trigger for pocket carry. I read a lot of posts where this is listed as a factor in going with the small autos ( "I prefer the light trigger to the long trigger pull of the J-Frame"). While that may help in accuracy out past 25' it does increase possiblility of trigger being pulled on draw by other objects or too quick on the trigger finger. Since most of these weapons are meant for <25' combat range, what is gained? My J-Frame has a 14.5# trigger pull (actual test.)

I never carry without a good quality pocket holster. There are many excellent pocket holsters/pocket wallets made for the smaller semi-autos, so no excuses here.

XD-9 has a grip safety he had to discharge it. You cannot legislate stupid, hell if we did congress/senate would cease to exist. Mothers comment that gun in pocket is scary, how did she know it was in pocket. I think this idot was playing with the gun and discharged same.

This is why I personally do not like to carry with a round in the chamber. I know a lot of people do (but let's not get started on that again) but I also do not carry a pistol in my pocket or in the front in my belt. There are some things I came into this world with and would like to leave with. I prefer to not shoot them off. Maybe stupidity is blessed and nobody was seriously hurt but I bet that child will remember this for the rest of his life.

Unfortunately, if we are to have our rights defended under the 2nd ammendment, we have to take the idiot carriers right along with the responsible carriers. There IS the "key"...... responsibility. If gun owners show signs of not being responsible with the use of their weapons, or carrying, or maintaining them..... then the anti-gun types WILL make every effort to exploit that in the name of "public safety".

Just the point I was trying to make with the guy who started the thread "I shot myself.....".

Despite the fact that a vast majority of Americans support the 2nd ammendment rights...... the mouthpieces who direct "public opinion" (and, indeed, even try to dictate it) are primarily in cahoots with those who would "control" us through the removal of our Constitutional rights, inch by inch, step by step, Legislation by Legislation, Executive Order by Executive Order.

We don't need to give them fuel for their fires through our own irresponsible actions.

GG

Bye the bye: One has to take into consideration that virtually EVERY Law ever written was to serve notice to the 10%'ers that certain behaviors were NOT acceptable in the society they were living in at the time. That some of these Laws run contrary to what might be considered "freedom" to some is a natural offshoot of those "limitation of behavior" Laws.

It is when those Laws affect the law abiding more than they affrect the BGs is when the Law becomes of dubious use. Yet, many of the "Common sence gun control law" (.. and how often have you heard THAT one liner from the gunaphobes?) proposals are exactly that. Especially since our right to bear arms is supposedly guaranteed.

Bottom line is; To preserve our guaranteed rights, we HAVE to take the irresponsible gun owners with the responsible ones and hope the latter GREATLY outweigh the former..... and hope that the ones currently acting irresponsibly will "wise up".

GG

I don't think that is the case. If it were, there would be many more revokations of CCLs. I am given to understand, from figures that I have read, that this happens in fractions of a percent of CCLs issued.

Unfortunately, the Lib Press jumps on these incidents and blows them way out of proportion.... the implication they try to make is; "Look! The average Joe does THIS with guns. Obviously, in the name of public safety, we HAVE to do something about this." .....and out comes the hue and cry for "Common sence gun control laws"! (As usual.) (YAWN!)

One just has to remember that there are 10%'ers (Defined as those who, for whatever reason, never seem to get with the program.) in EVERY group. What has to be done by the responsible 90%'ers is to always keep gun safety and responsibility in the forefront of our efforts to retain our rights.

"But.... those rights are sacrosanct and cannot be taken from us." If you do NOT believe that our sacred rights are not being taken from us, inch by inch, step by step, legislation by legislation, executive order by executive order........ YOU have a LOT of reading to do.

GG

As I was not there I cannot make a comment on the persons actions other then it should have been in a HOLSTER of some type and I will waitto see the published outcome on the board. I am sure it will be on here.
Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back