Californiia's Doc Hollyday Is a Jerk

My grown daughter who resides in California has decided with her husband to keep a gun in the house. She asked me about a safe first and then about training.

I did a little web browsing and found an NRA instructor advertising one on one training in her area.

I gave her the info and she called me back today.

This guy advertised he did private lessons in her area. He didn't.

I told her I thought she should consider a revolver for several reasons. I know her. Thats what she needs.

He told her that I, having been an NRA instructor, had no idea what she needed and that she should get a Glock.

He asked why she wanted a gun ans she said that her surgeon husband worked late a lot and was frequently out of town. There has also been a rash of breakins in her area lately which prompted her to consider a gun in the first place.

She explained that she wanted familiarity lessons as well as local laws and home defense.

Now, this girl has a double master's in Law and Education. She is 32 years old and speaks two languages fluently.

He tells her that she did not have a reasonable reason to want firearms training and that she should just call the police if she has a problem.

What kind of legitimate instructor does this?

Only on the Left Coast!

She is going down to the range in Oceanside later to see what she can find for an instructor.

Now I'm worried. She grew up with guns but never got past the basics of shooting with a .22 at targets. I'm kinda at a disadvantage being here in SC. Besides, I'm not sure I want to deal with trying to teach my kid something. Something may get lost in the translation:):):)

Vent over!

KK

You're going to kick yourself when you read this, if you haven't already checked these out.

Start here: Link Removed

Enter Zip Code 92024. Radius 50 miles. Plenty of NRA Basic Pistol courses for which she can sign up.

Is it the range by the small airport in oceanside. If I remember right they do have a classroom there for instruction. I haven't lived out there in five years though

I looked these guys up and just from the web site it looks like it's not just one guy. Perhaps she should find a different person within their organization? They endorse themselves with a listing on the NRA web site, perhaps contact the NRA? I googled them for any kind of reviews or commentary and I couldn't find anything. That in itself seems odd.

wow best wishes and wishing your daughter be safe in her home as well
if she just want something to protect her at home and not a very good shooter perhaps a shotgun with 00 buck is the answer the spray of 00 buck will surely hit whatever it is she tries to hit for the time being until she gets familiar with shooting with aim and precision
i read about that woman who was raped in her home and borrowed a friends shot gun and the same guy came back to do it again and she blasted him with a shotgun and he died .....that guy had a long record of violent crimes too so it worked out good

I would recommend if she is going to get a revolver, get a Taurus Judge for the simple fact that you can use buckshot in it so you point & shoot you don't have to aim perfectly. I hope everything works out for the best.

I would recommend if she is going to get a revolver, get a Taurus Judge for the simple fact that you can use buckshot in it so you point & shoot you don't have to aim perfectly. I hope everything works out for the best.

Great recommendation but there is only one problem, they are illegal in California, the liberals in this state consider and decided any handgun that shoots a shotgun shell to be a short barreled shotgun. I'd have to recommend a shotgun as well, can't go wrong with a Remington 870. Goodluck and best of wishes, hopefully she wasn't turned off by that moron of an instructor.

For anyone who thinks you can point and shoot a shotgun of any type and clear the hall you know very little of shotguns. Peace, Love, Colt 45.

My wife and I recently bought a handgun to keep near the bed much like your daughter. The first thing I did was find an instructor. The good news is we found a great instructor right off the bat. He even helped me pick out a gun and gave great advice without trying to decide for me or push his opinion on me.

The course: Up until a few weeks before the handgun course, my wife had never shot ANY sort of gun. And even then, it was a Crossman pump pellet gun. Our instructor did a fantastic job. He covered all the basics, created a familiarity and interest that was never there in the past. By the time it was time to shoot, my wife was excited and enthusiastic. I was pleasantly surprised (by my wife's reaction, not the good instruction).

I ended up running out of ammo. After being anti-gun all her life, my wife was enjoying the hell out of shooting!

If your daughter feels like making a trip to the central coast (near San Luis Obispo), I can give you the info for our instructor. Our class was private, on a weekend and we got lots of great one-on-one instruction.

Not all Californians are idiots, but we do have more than our fair share!

Ironsights in oceanside. Seems like some good guys there and I've talked to their instructor. Seems like a nice guy. I also did some CCW training that wouldn't be too far from you with William Desy from CCW USA. I think the site is ccwusa.com. He's a decent guy, it seems that he is really serious about self defense and gun defense. They have a range and store connected. He does a lot of gun defense related training.

Due to how CA's short barrel shotgun laws are written, all .45LC/.410 handguns are classified as SBS and illegal in CA.

maybe it's time to take a trip out west to visit your daughter and teach her a bit or two about guns during the visit?
if you have the time and money to make such a trip out west
best wishes

There is some very good training available up in LA through Covered 6. I have taken an Advanced AR class, a tactical shotgun class, and observed their basic handgun class. My wife and another woman we are friendly with have trained with them as well. They are very friendly, competent (all are affiliated with law enforcement agencies in So Cal), and believe that civilians should be armed. I highly recommend them.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back