California CCW vehicle transportation questions

By law they can hassle you as much as they want from the time you made that traffic infraction.:mad::wacko::stop::stop:

It must suck to live in a police state. Washington has laws against such egregious behavior by it's law enforcement officers. Our state expects Washington LEO's to remain professional.

RCW 46.61.021
Duty to obey law enforcement officer — authority of officer.

(1) Any person requested or signaled to stop by a law enforcement officer for a traffic infraction has a duty to stop.

(2) Whenever any person is stopped for a traffic infraction, the officer may detain that person for a reasonable period of time necessary to identify the person, check for outstanding warrants, check the status of the person's license, insurance identification card, and the vehicle's registration, and complete and issue a notice of traffic infraction.

(3) Any person requested to identify himself or herself to a law enforcement officer pursuant to an investigation of a traffic infraction has a duty to identify himself or herself and give his or her current address.

RCW 7.80.060
Person receiving notice — identification and detention.

A person who is to receive a notice of civil infraction under RCW 7.80.050 is required to identify himself or herself to the enforcement officer by giving his or her name, address, and date of birth. Upon the request of the officer, the person shall produce reasonable identification, including a driver's license or identicard.

A person who is unable or unwilling to reasonably identify himself or herself to an enforcement officer may be detained for a period of time not longer than is reasonably necessary to identify the person for purposes of issuing a civil infraction.

Why would anyone willingly choose to live in California and subject themselves to such police abuses?

It must suck to live in a police state. Washington has laws against such egregious behavior by it's law enforcement officers. Our state expects Washington LEO's to remain professional.

Why would anyone willingly choose to live in California and subject themselves to such police abuses?

Well sir I can't believe I'm saying this to you, but for once were in total agreement. This is why I'm moving to the Great State of Virginia. Keep in mind not all cops are by the book (for better or worse) and that was all I was trying to explain. Although it might say its legal it also shouts high alert to a cop anytime firearms are involved, and you can shout out all the vehicle/penal code (which they really love to here from citizens) you want there still gonna do what they want. Not just in CA, but every where!

Although it might say its legal it also shouts high alert to a cop anytime firearms are involved, and you can shout out all the vehicle/penal code (which they really love to here from citizens) you want there still gonna do what they want. Not just in CA, but every where!

And then those officers abusing their authority get to go to court and be held accountable for their violations of state law, in states such as Washington, with a resulting payment made in a civil lawsuit to the victims of the criminals wearing uniforms and badges.

New Mexico:
Link Removed
$21,000

Colorado:
Loveland settles gun owner's lawsuit - The Denver Post
$15,000

Even Philadelphia:
Lansdale Gun Rights Advocate Gets $25K Settlement from Philly - Montgomeryville-Lansdale, PA Patch
$25,000

Just because the criminal is wearing a badge and a uniform doesn't make them any less of a criminal, but if nobody stands up to them, they will only keep victimizing.

And then those officers abusing their authority get to go to court and be held accountable for their violations of state law, in states such as Washington, with a resulting payment made in a civil lawsuit to the victims of the criminals wearing uniforms and badges.

New Mexico:
Link Removed
$21,000

Colorado:
Loveland settles gun owner's lawsuit - The Denver Post
$15,000

Even Philadelphia:
Lansdale Gun Rights Advocate Gets $25K Settlement from Philly - Montgomeryville-Lansdale, PA Patch
$25,000

Just because the criminal is wearing a badge and a uniform doesn't make them any less of a criminal, but if nobody stands up to them, they will only keep victimizing.

Never said they were breaking the law. If you do not advise them of a weapon (right or wrong) they will have your ass out and flat on the ground for their safety. Perfectly legal. This is why cops do not argue law (or right or wrong) with civilians and have it settled in court where it belongs. If you are one of the lucky few to triumph in such a case good for you.

And I know what it says about you not being anti-cop, but it sure seems like you have a few issues!

Never said they were breaking the law. If you do not advise them of a weapon (right or wrong) they will have your ass out and flat on the ground for their safety. Perfectly legal. This is why cops do not argue law (or right or wrong) with civilians and have it settled in court where it belongs. If you are one of the lucky few to triumph in such a case good for you.

And I know what it says about you not being anti-cop, but it sure seems like you have a few issues!

Yes, I do have issues with the very small minority of police officers who abuse their power, violate the rights of others and commit criminal acts. You don't? Even you made a statement as a former law enforcement officer that sounded like statute rather than your personal opinion:

"As a former CA LEO I can tell you ....And you are restricted to its transportation. EX: To gun range, hunting, gunsmith, traveling out of state etc."

Maybe my issue with law enforcement officers who enforce their personal opinions rather than actual statutes is hitting a little too close to home for comfort? You didn't even go back and edit your comment to reflect that it was your personal recommendation rather than a fact.

What percentage of people that you meet on the street are going to be criminals that are going to commit a violent act against you, as Joe Citizen? I haven't had a violent criminal act committed against me yet. But I wear a gun to protect myself from the violent criminal. Nobody on this forum should have a problem with that. I don't understand why some people have such a problem when someone suggests protecting themselves from wrongful acts that might be committed against them by a police officer. I also don't understand why some people have such a problem calling a person who violates state or Federal law a criminal, just because that person is wearing a badge and uniform while they are doing so.

Altering my perfectly legal behavior to lessen the chance of a police officer hassling me is like not going outside my house to lessen the chance of a criminal committing a violent crime against me.

Yes, I do have issues with the very small minority of police officers who abuse their power, violate the rights of others and commit criminal acts. You don't? Even you made a statement as a former law enforcement officer that sounded like statute rather than your personal opinion:

"As a former CA LEO I can tell you ....And you are restricted to its transportation. EX: To gun range, hunting, gunsmith, traveling out of state etc."

Maybe my issue with law enforcement officers who enforce their personal opinions rather than actual statutes is hitting a little too close to home for comfort? You didn't even go back and edit your comment to reflect that it was your personal recommendation rather than a fact.

What percentage of people that you meet on the street are going to be criminals that are going to commit a violent act against you, as Joe Citizen? I haven't had a violent criminal act committed against me yet. But I wear a gun to protect myself from the violent criminal. Nobody on this forum should have a problem with that. I don't understand why some people have such a problem when someone suggests protecting themselves from wrongful acts that might be committed against them by a police officer. I also don't understand why some people have such a problem calling a person who violates state or Federal law a criminal, just because that person is wearing a badge and uniform while they are doing so.

Altering my perfectly legal behavior to lessen the chance of a police officer hassling me is like not going outside my house to lessen the chance of a criminal committing a violent crime against me.

The locked in a container is for handguns and its ammo cannot be readily accessible (another words not in same case as gun) and it is law. As far as long guns unloaded and out of reach, preferably locked in trunk.

I also just read another post that you replied on where you say you had a similar incident happen to you that the OP had. If your statement with regards to your similar incident, was actually as confrontational as it reads then your reply does seem to learn more toward anti-cop.

The locked in a container is for handguns and its ammo cannot be readily accessible (another words not in same case as gun) and it is law.

REALLY?!? Wow, you just won't quit with your misinformation will you! Jesus, do you know a thing at all about California gun laws? It sure as hell doesn't seem like it. Quit wasting my time correcting your erroneous posts.

From the California Highway Patrol, Mr. Steadman:
Link Removed

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?
California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

So, Mr. Steadman.... show us the California law that prohibits ammunition from being in the same case as the gun! The California Highway Patrol says the ammunition can be in the same container as the gun!

Here is the California Penal Code with which you seem to be so unfamiliar with:
Link Removed

12026.1. (a) Section 12025 shall not be construed to prohibit any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that the following applies to the firearm:

(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment.

(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm, the firearm is contained within a locked container.

(b) The provisions of this section do not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful carrying or transportation of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in accordance with this chapter.

(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device.

Do you see anything in there about ammunition? NO! So let's look at the definition of unloaded:

12031. (g) A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm; except that a muzzle-loader firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder.

Do you see anything in there about readily accessible or in the same case as the firearm? NO! Do you know what "attached in any manner to the firearm" means? That means when I pick up the firearm, an unexpended cartridge comes with it. That is why the California Highway Patrol says that ammunition in the same container as the firearm is perfectly acceptable....because if I pick up a firearm and remove it from the case - the ammo stays in the case because it is not attached in any manner to the firearm!

REALLY?!? Wow, you just won't quit with your misinformation will you! Jesus, do you know a thing at all about California gun laws? It sure as hell doesn't seem like it. Quit wasting my time correcting your erroneous posts.

From the California Highway Patrol, Mr. Steadman:
Link Removed

So, Mr. Steadman.... show us the California law that prohibits ammunition from being in the same case as the gun! The California Highway Patrol says the ammunition can be in the same container as the gun!

Really! Granted I have not been a police officer for a couple of decades, but very little has changed other that you can have the ammo in the same container. So if you feel this tidbit was an error of pertinent info then so be it. Trust me you have taken up just as much of my time as I have yours, and I will gracefully bow out.

So if you feel this tidbit was an error of pertinent info then so be it.

That "tidbit" would mean the difference between a person being convicted or, more likely, pleading guilty to a crime and gaining a criminal record because some cop told them it was illegal to have the ammo in the same case as the gun.

Well again I bow to you. You never give up. Your like a dog with a bone. Your tenacity knows no bounds. I'm thinking you worked in the research field at one time. If you haven't you should consider it. Maybe Law School. I hear the ACLU is hiring (and that was meant as a good natured dig). My wife say's it's good we don't know each other because you are the type of person I enjoy having lively debates (I don't believe in arguments) with. Well Navy I don't know how much of a night owl you are (I'm up till 3am PST minimum) so I'll say good night and think up something else for us to debate!

Mr. Steadman,

I know some of my replies were harsh. And for the ones that you feel were over the top, I apologize. I believe your heart is in the right place. Here is one of the "issues" that I have that you made mention to earlier. In one post, you stated, "As a former CA LEO I can tell you that....". Why did you start with, "As a former CA LEO"? And why do you have "Instructor" under your screen name? Honestly....is it only because your want people to know what your past and current professions are? Or, in a discussion such as this, is it so that your posts will seem to be the definitive answer to the question backed by professional qualification? First you present your qualifications, and then you make statements that seem to be authoritative statements of fact. My issue is that in being on these gun forums for about five years I have seen 100s of posts made by qualified people that either contain completely erroneous information, easily proven incorrect by factual sources or contain the person's opinion which they state as fact, which may or may not be true for all readers. Usually these posts have one thing in common - they start off with "I am a professional!" and then they go to say, "This is the way it is." And there is one key element always missing - a citation to the statute or research that backs up their post. They use their professional title to back up what they say rather than a factual reference source. When I see a post like that it raises the hair on my neck.

I believe that you posted what you were taught as a California Law Enforcement Officer many years ago. Whether or not what you were taught then was the actual statutory law or not, I don't know. It might have been, or it could have been simply what you were taught. Here is another "issue" I have. Let's take the ammo can't be in the gun case statement. Joe Citizen travels to CA to see his family. He's a working guy with a wife and two kids and they saved up all year to make this trip. They enter California and he unloads his gun, puts the magazines, gun, ammo in a case with a lock on it and slides it under his driver's seat. He gets stopped for speeding.

So, first thing he does is tell Officer Friendly, "Sir, I feel obligated to tell you I have an unloaded pistol in a case under my seat." Officer Friendly knows Joe is from out of state and may not know all of CA gun laws so he says, "Joe, do you mind if I see the gun to make sure everything is OK?" Joe says, "Sure," retrieves the case, opens the lock and hands it to Officer Friendly. Officer Friendly opens the case, and there is the gun, a 10 round CA compliant magazine, and a box of ammo (just like I would transport my gun!). "Whoa, wait a minute!" says Officer Friendly. You can't have this ammo in here with the gun! He writes Joe a ticket for speeding and improper transportation of the gun. So now what can Joe do? 1. He doesn't have money for a lawyer. 2. He has to go back to work, he doesn't have time to fight a charge in CA court. So, at a minimum Joe has to borrow money on his emergency credit card to pay a fine when he was in compliance with CA firearms law the whole time. OR Joe has to show up at court and plead guilty to a misdemeanor just to get it over with because he doesn't have the time or money for a trial, now Joe has a firearms related criminal record.

First, Joe told the officer about a lawfully possessed item that chances are 99% would never have been an issue. I've gotten stopped many times in the past for speeding - my problem that I have fixed - and I have NEVER been asked about a firearm, I have NEVER had my vehicle searched during a traffic stop, and I was only asked to exit the vehicle once and the gun in the holster on my belt was not noticed or no reaction was given to it by the officer. Second, Joe consented to a search of his property. Finally, the officer writes him a citation for either what the officer THOUGHT was the law, or what the officer KNEW was bogus but didn't care because he was operating out of his own personal disdain for citizens possessing firearms. However, Joe is at least 2/3 responsible for what happened because he didn't exercise his rights.

That's why I post the way that i do. Hopefully, Glockman131 will read our discussion, he will see the links to the factual information, he can make an informed decision whether or not he wants to simply obey the law - or whether he wants to cater to the recommendations (not requirements) of what will lessen the chance of getting hassled by LEO. And, if he finds himself in the situation of Joe above he will be better informed of what his rights are, what are the requirements in law are, and he can take the precautions to protect himself so he doesn't end up paying a fine or copping a plea for something that was never illegal to begin with.

I know you don't believe this, Mr. Steadman, but I am not anti-cop. But here's the deal. Very few occupations in this world have the potential to affect my bank account balance and my spotlessly clean record like police officers. 99% if not more of police officers are fine, upstanding, hard working people who choose to take a job that I never would. They face political pressure. They face scorn and hatred from many people because it is only the 1% of bad ones that make the news most of the time. Most of them will perform many heroic acts in their careers that will never get noticed. But, that being said, when I interact with a police officer I MUST take the simple actions to protect myself from the consequences of either the police officer making a simple mistake, or the chance that the police officer I am dealing with is one of the 1% of bad cops. I don't have to be rude or disrespectful to take those simple actions. "Sir, are you detaining me?" "Sir, I hope you have a nice and safe day, but I am not going to answer any questions and I am going to leave now, if you aren't detaining me." "No, sir, I won't give you permission to look in my gun case or trunk of my car." And just plain keep my mouth shut about things that I am under no legal obligation to tell the police officer about!

Gentlemen,
I want to thank all of you for the time and energy you put into your responses to my questions on California CCW gun transportation law. I very much appreciate your research and definitive clarification. I agree that living in the state of California can be extremely frustrating as well as punitive, however I've been here for the last years and I must say I have a love-hate relationship with the state. The weather is absolutely phenomenal and geography is stunning, overall taxation and firearm laws are not only oppressive, they are extremely frustrating. The reason I wanted to be clear on CCW gun transportation law is that the process of obtaining a CCW in Monterey County California is a very arduous process, And I did not want to lose my right to have my California CCW in the event that I was cited for some quirky California gun transportation law.

Monterey County California CCW requirements.

Fill out in writing 19 page application.

A two hour interview with the Monterey County Sheriff's professional standards division.

Depending on how you do in the interview, VSA (voice stress analysis) test may be required, I was not required to do so.

Then you are required to take a psychological examination that includes a 575 question test and a one-hour interview with the department psychologist, the test that you require to take is the same test they give to potential Monterey County Sheriff's, Highway Patrol and other agency candidates.This was about a 4 1/2 hour process.

If all goes well with your psychological examination and test scores, the next processes is the Monterey County Sheriff's office of professional standards division will contact your employer and verify your character and conduct in the workplace.

If all goes well with the workplace evaluation, Sheriff's office will then go to your place of residence and interview your neighbors regarding your social conduct, and overall demeanor in the community.

If all goes well with your neighbors interviews, the next processes is the Monterey County Sheriff's office of professional standards will come to your home and do a home visit and verify your address, your place of residence and share with you their findings on the neighbors interviews.

If all goes well with all requirements listed above you will then pay the required fees as stated below.

The fee schedule is as follows Two Year Standard CCW.
 DOJ Fees $ 95.00
 Live Scan (Roll Fee) $ 20.00
 County Fee $100.00
Total Due at Fingerprinting= $135.00
Total Due upon CCW issuance= $ 80.00
Psych Eval $150.00
CCW qualification class 8 hours $200.00

Once you have completed everything listed above which takes about 70 days or so, you are called by the Monterey County Sheriff professional standards division and told that you are either approved or denied for your license to carry concealed pistol, revolver, or other firearm within the state of California otherwise known as California CCW. I thought I would share this with all of you so that you would understand why I wanted to be very careful to not violate any type of California gun law after going through this extremely arduous process to obtain my CCW in Monterey County California .

My current transportation practices as of the time of my original posting were indeed separation of firearm and ammunition in separate containers.

Good luck OP, hope everything turns out okay for you. But, as bikenut puts so eloquently, the one thing I don't understand is how you can consider the privilege of a ccw as your right to bear arms...When the ccw is the exact infringement the 2A speaks of.

You should add these fees to your list: Required CCW class approx. $200. Psychological exam fee $150.00.

Besides the cost, what has kept me from applying for a CCW in Monterey County is the neighbor interviews. I don't particularly want most of my neighbors to be aware of the firearms I own. It's a matter of privacy to me.

Well, at least we know in Monterey County there are no criminals or mentally ill persons concealing handguns......

Gentlemen,
I want to thank all of you for the time and energy you put into your responses to my questions on California CCW gun transportation law. I very much appreciate your research and definitive clarification. I agree that living in the state of California can be extremely frustrating as well as punitive, however I've been here for the last years and I must say I have a love-hate relationship with the state. The weather is absolutely phenomenal and geography is stunning, overall taxation and firearm laws are not only oppressive, they are extremely frustrating. The reason I wanted to be clear on CCW gun transportation law is that the process of obtaining a CCW in Monterey County California is a very arduous process, And I did not want to lose my right to have my California CCW in the event that I was cited for some quirky California gun transportation law.

Monterey County California CCW requirements.

Fill out in writing 19 page application.

A two hour interview with the Monterey County Sheriff's professional standards division.

Depending on how you do in the interview, VSA (voice stress analysis) test may be required, I was not required to do so.

Then you are required to take a psychological examination that includes a 575 question test and a one-hour interview with the department psychologist, the test that you require to take is the same test they give to potential Monterey County Sheriff's, Highway Patrol and other agency candidates.This was about a 4 1/2 hour process.

If all goes well with your psychological examination and test scores, the next processes is the Monterey County Sheriff's office of professional standards division will contact your employer and verify your character and conduct in the workplace.

If all goes well with the workplace evaluation, Sheriff's office will then go to your place of residence and interview your neighbors regarding your social conduct, and overall demeanor in the community.

If all goes well with your neighbors interviews, the next processes is the Monterey County Sheriff's office of professional standards will come to your home and do a home visit and verify your address, your place of residence and share with you their findings on the neighbors interviews.

If all goes well with all requirements listed above you will then pay the required fees as stated below.

The fee schedule is as follows Two Year Standard CCW.
 DOJ Fees $ 95.00
 Live Scan (Roll Fee) $ 20.00
 County Fee $100.00
Total Due at Fingerprinting= $135.00
Total Due upon CCW issuance= $ 80.00
Psych Eval $150.00
CCW qualification class 8 hours $200.00

Once you have completed everything listed above which takes about 70 days or so, you are called by the Monterey County Sheriff professional standards division and told that you are either approved or denied for your license to carry concealed pistol, revolver, or other firearm within the state of California otherwise known as California CCW. I thought I would share this with all of you so that you would understood why I wanted to be very careful to not violate any type of California gun law after going through this extremely arduous process to obtain my CCW Monterey County.

My current transportation practices as of the time of my original posting were indeed separation of firearm and ammunition in separate containers.

I will apologize for my half of the ongoing forum throw down with NavyLCMDR. While it was a bit entertaining for me it took up way too much time.
You left one important (or at least I didn't see it) part out of your statement. After you put up all that money if you are denied a CCW-NO REFUND!

I have Instructor next to my name because I am and that is what I now do for a living. As I'm listed on this and many other sites for business it sorta works out better that way. Again Sir I say we put this one away. Till we meet next time in the forum zone.

You should add these fees to your list: Required CCW class approx. $200. Psychological exam fee $150.00.

Besides the cost, what has kept me from applying for a CCW in Monterey County is the neighbor interviews. I don't particularly want most of my neighbors to be aware of the firearms I own. It's a matter of privacy to me.

Fremont PD (Alameada CO) would not give me one and I'm a retired cop. I explained that I had had one up till the time I relocated to TX, but an now back in CA and would like to get one again. They informed me that since I retired early (medical) that I would have to apply all over again. Luckily their was a Sgt. in the parking lot and I asked him how long the process was. He told me not to waste my time. Sgt. said you have to have extreme circumstance or know some one important to get one, and he let me know that if your turned down they don't refund any of the money you paid. Figured I didn't need on for CA that bad and got AZ multi-state.

I will apologize for my half of the ongoing forum throw down with NavyLCMDR. While it was a bit entertaining for me it took up way too much time.
You left one important (or at least I didn't see it) part out of your statement. After you put up all that money if you are denied a CCW-NO REFUND!

Mr.Steadman, As you have probably already guessed, there are no guarantees or refunds in the event that you are denied for whatever reason they decide.I was told at the beginning of the process by the Monterey County Sheriff's professional ethics division that if I were in fact denied I would be able to file a grievance with the Sheriff's Department. I do not know how many times that has been done or the success rate to overturn a denial.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back