Building a Long Range Rifle

Bttbbob

Ok here goes. I am going to do a Youtube Series on building a quality Long Range Rifle. I will post pictures on here as the build progresses. This will include, Mounting stock, mounting bipod, installing scope base and mounts, bore sighting with and without boresight tool, mounting sling, zeroing,etc..........
The gun came in last night. I will post a list at the end of the build with a breakdown of accessories, cost and time.
Here is the base gun

Weatherby Vanguard S2 Varmint Special
Weatherby® Vanguard® Series 2 rifles are guaranteed to shoot a 3-shot group of .99" or less at 100 yards (SUB-MOA) when used with specified Weatherby® factory or premium ammunition.
Match quality, two-stage trigger is "creep free" (adjustable down to 2.5 lbs.)
22" #3 contour barrel (.740 muzzle diameter) 1:12 rifling
Lightweight, composite Monte Carlo Griptonite™ stock features pistol grip and forend inserts, and right side palm swell (aids shooter comfort and control)
Matte bead blasted blued finish
Recessed target crown to enhance accuracy and protect rifling
3-position safety
MSRP $849.00 Plus Shipping

Link Removed

Looks great, man. I'll definitely be following this build. I've been wanting to put together a good long range/hunting rifle, now that I have my defensive carbines squared away. Sweet looking boomstick!

I put together a long range hunting rifle a few years ago , I started with a howa barreled action ( howa makes the actions for weatherby) put a houge over molded stock on it with a trigger balistic trigger and had about 600.00 in it. It shoots one hole three shot groups at 100 yards ( 270 winchester) Great deer rifle. Prices have gone up a little since I built mine.

Yes, Weatherby Vanguards are made by Howa. I have had a few. Great actions. And the build is in .308. If I didn't have a couple thousand rounds of match grade .308 already, I woul have done it in .300 winmag or .338 lapua. But match grade .308 ammo is much cheaper.

Ok Scope is in, now waiting for EGW Steel 20 MOA Scope Mount, Weaver Grand Slam Steel 30mm Rings, and McMillain A3-5 Adjustable Stock.
Mueller 4.5-14×40AO Tactical
All Purpose Tactical

The new Mueller APT offers the same wide angle field of view and eye relief as the APV, but in a tactical version. The APT has fully exposed target turrets with ¼” windage and elevation adjustment, a 30mm tube for more internal adjustment range and a fast focus eye piece. The magnification ring is also highlighted green on 10×, which indicates the setting for accurate Mil Dot measurements.
Fully multi-coated camera-quality crystal lenses for superior brightness and contrast
Large diameter ocular lens for wider field of view
All-weather, high-torque power change ring
Exit pupil range: 8.8 – 2.8 mm
Fast-focus eyebell
1/4-inch windage and elevation adjustments with audible click stops and full target turrets
Overall length: 13.75 inches
30mm tube construction with matte black finish to minimize glare
Nitrogen-filled, water-proof, fog-proof and shock-proof
Minimum Parallax settting 10yds
3″ stackable sunshade available under part #SS340 (located under accessories)
MSRP $194.95 Sunshield is addition 12.00
Link RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

Looks great so far. I am planning on getting in to long range....just don't know where to start. Should I stary reading books on how to shoot long rsnge, and start with my AR? I figured that would let me get a feel for it, learn the basics, and have an idea on what I want on a rifle. Before I build or buy or both.

Looks great so far. I am planning on getting in to long range....just don't know where to start. Should I stary reading books on how to shoot long rsnge, and start with my AR? I figured that would let me get a feel for it, learn the basics, and have an idea on what I want on a rifle. Before I build or buy or both.

Where are you located. First, I would start with a class. There are plenty of places around to teach long range shooting. A two day course will give you the basics.

Here is my rig I just finished. A Remington 700 LR in 300 RUM. I like the choices of ammo in 3 power levels and can be used for hunting anything from deer to moose and griz not to mention the main reason I got it--long distance shooting. It has from the factory an M40 stock, xmark pro adjustable trigger and floated 26" heavy barrel. I topped it with an EGW LA 20MOA picatinny base, Burris Zee Signature 30mm rings and a Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20 x 50 scope. At the business end resides a Kahntrol clamp on muzzle brake. I need to sight it in yet though.

Link Removed

Here is my rig I just finished. A Remington 700 LR in 300 RUM. I like the choices of ammo in 3 power levels and can be used for hunting anything from deer to moose and griz not to mention the main reason I got it--long distance shooting. It has from the factory an M40 stock, xmark pro adjustable trigger and floated barrel. I topped it with an EGW LA 20MOA picatinny base, Burris Zee Signature 30mm rings and a Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20 x 50 scope. At the business end resides a Kahntrol clamp on muzzle brake. I need to sight it in yet though.

Link Removed

Nice

New Stock is in and McMillain makes some wicked gear....Nice feel to it.Link RemovedLink Removed

Here's my long range hunter/ target rifle. Savage 10FP action .308 bone stock. Has the accu-bedding and an accu-trigger. Trigger is set real low about 3lbs. Scope is a Millett TRS-2 fixed 10x with 30mm weaver rings and a 1pc 20MOA weaver base. And a Harris bench rest bipod. Gun shoots better than I do but will consistently stack rounds at 100. Where I'm at there's not many places to reach out past that.

Here's my long range hunter/ target rifle. Savage 10FP action .308 bone stock. Has the accu-bedding and an accu-trigger. Trigger is set real low about 3lbs. Scope is a Millett TRS-2 fixed 10x with 30mm weaver rings and a 1pc 20MOA weaver base. And a Harris bench rest bipod. Gun shoots better than I do but will consistently stack rounds at 100. Where I'm at there's not many places to reach out past that.

I have a Savage 10FP, but one of the older ones in .300 winmag. Didn't come with accutrigger so I put a Timney on it. Love those guns out of the box

Did you use a laser bore sight first and at what yardage? I have one and the directions say to place the card 25 ft from the barrel so I did that but should have I then redid it at 50 yds then actually shoot it at 100 yds? Did you clean the barrel after every couple rounds or so? Being a novice I am likely doing many things wrong. It took me 20 rounds to get it sighted in or at least I think it is. I didn't use any sand bags just a bipod which loosened after about 10 rounds causing some difficulties until I tightened it up again.

Did you use a laser bore sight first and at what yardage? I have one and the directions say to place the card 25 ft from the barrel so I did that but should have I then redid it at 50 yds then actually shoot it at 100 yds? Did you clean the barrel after every couple rounds or so? Being a novice I am likely doing many things wrong. It took me 20 rounds to get it sighted in or at least I think it is. I didn't use any sand bags just a bipod which loosened after about 10 rounds causing some difficulties until I tightened it up again.

I did not use a laser. I use a collometer style bore sighter after I do it the old fashion way. Pu the gun in a vice. Pull the bolt, line the barrel up at a target 50 yrds away then center it in the scope. Should be relatively close.

Link Removed
My Remington SPS Tactical AAC in .308 with a Timney trigger (not sure the weight, but adjusted it down to just heavy enough that the bolt doesn't set it off), a H-S Precision stock, a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 BDC scope, and a JP Enterprises muzzle brake. She'll split hairs at 100yds :)

It's also got a tactical bolt knob and a few extra little amenities.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back