Bills Could Change SC Gun Laws In 2012

Red Hat

They tried this before! They tried to do this several times before and it never gets out of committee. Make some calls just in case though!

Link Removed

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Two bills in the state House of Representatives could change the laws for South Carolina gun owners in 2012.

One proposal, sponsored by Rep. Wendell Gilliard, D-Charleston, would change the charge for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit from a misdemeanor to a felony.

The other bill, also sponsored by Gilliard, would redefine and ban certain assault weapons. The new definition of assault weapons in the bill includes rifles fitted with magazines that can carry more than 21 rounds and shotguns capable of carrying six or more rounds.

Gilliard said the bills are designed to cut down on gun crime.

"It's really out of control. If we don't send a strong message to the thugs, then we put our communities at risk. We put our law enforcement at risk, and we can't just stand by idly and not do nothing," Gilliard said.

Rep. Bruce Bannister, R-Greenville, opposes both bills.

"It would scare folks who want to do the right thing and might make a misstep or have an accident and carry a gun illegally. I do not believe it would have an impact on the thugs out there or the bad guys who would carry a gun no matter what," Bannister said.

Both bills are being debated in the House judiciary committee.

Bannister told Greenville County gun rights activists about the bills at a Second Amendment Rights Forum on Wednesday night.

Several people expressed concern over restrictions that many private employers have against allowing guns to be stored in cars in workplace parking lots.

"I don't think an employer has any right to tell an employee he can't keep a gun in his car during work," said gun owner Bill Shaver.

Bannister said some lawmakers are working on legislation that could allow South Carolinians to carry guns in cars no matter where they park.

Read more: Link Removed

"It's really out of control. If we don't send a strong message to the thugs, then we put our communities at risk. We put our law enforcement at risk, and we can't just stand by idly and not do nothing," Gilliard said.”

Really, Mr. Gilliard? The thugs don't give a fat frog's backside about the law. They will acquire any weapons they want by any means necessary, and not think twice about using those illegal weapons against the law abiding citizen. All this bill will do is tie the hands of the legal gun owner, decrease their chances to successfully defend their families, friends, and themselves as well. The other point to make is keeping our LEOs safe, and I am all for that, but I want to hear from the LEOs that have been assisted by the armed citizen during a BG apprehension. All we here about is the true "thug" putting the LEO at risk, and if this law passes, not only will it wing-clip the law abiding citizen from defending themselves by stripping them of what would become "illegal" weapons, but it will also eliminate a valuable resource for LEOs in the time of a deadly situation presenting itself. Your law is filled with typical Liberal subterfuge Mr. Gilliard, and that sir is weak sauce.

What I hope they do pass is Open Carry. It was voted down last year. I live just 15 miles from SC so what they do affects me quite a bit. Have contacted the sheriff of Lancaster Co. about his concern over hunters. If we do not voice our stands they will do as they wish---probably will anyway till election times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back