Best Home defense Gun

In my opinion, the best home defense gun is Remington 870 tactical shotgun.

870 Express Tactical – The No. 1 choice of law enforcement agencies and civilian across the country. Quick-pointing 18-1/2" barrels with an extended ported Tactical Rem™ Chokes. Magazines hold seven rounds of 2-3/4" or 3" shells with a factory-installed two-shot extension. Black synthetic stocks and forends with sling swivel studs. Receivers are drilled and tapped. The blasted black-oxide model has an XS® Ghost Ring rear sight and XS blade front sight along with an XS Ghost Ring sight rail for optics and sight systems. The gunmetal-gray powder-coated model has a single-bead front sight.
I usually load five OO buck shells in the tube and keep empty chamber/for safety reason...
Some people prefer use bird shot instead buck shot due to close range...personally, I prefer buck shot... this is also an excellent self-defense weapon in bear country.....

Classic Attacker re-education sound

There is just somehting about the sound of an 870 racking that makes one wonder if it's bark is almost as effective as its bite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Home defense

I recently purchased a remington 870 tactical as well. Absolutely no questions asked the best for the application of inviting uninvited guests to leave one way or the other. I actually spent around 320 for the basic gun with a tactical for end grip but I do have plans to add some accessories in the very near future. A magazine extension, ghost ring sights, and a tactical style stock. I too load 00 buckshot in the tube and leave the chamber empty for safety. I did get a great deal but I bought at a local gun show from a local vendor that I know very well and have done a lot of business with.

The best home defense gun is the one you have in hand when you need it.
Never bought into that racking the shotgun nonsense.
This one is kept chamber hot safety on.

Link Removed

I hope not .22 cal .....lol....

It's not the caliber, it's the shot placement. Three well controlled quick taps with a .22 just left of sternum center will do more damage than a 12g with '00' buck thrown downrange from the hip. That's the only problem with a gauge and '00'...the shot will go where it wants, not where you want it.

I also have a 870 Tac... Great stand-your-ground gun. I choose the handgun for home defense. I'd rather not have the "wrestle with the long gun" issue in close quarters... If your plan is to stand your ground in a bedroom and wait until the BG comes to find you, (no kids in the home), the 870 or other short 12/20GA shotgun will work well. If your plan is to sweep and clear, the handgun is a better close quarters choice... A good light and some training is also a good idea...

Tools.. They are just that, nothing more.. Not shields or talismans against the evil that men do... learn how to use it and practice the plan...

It's not the caliber, it's the shot placement. Three well controlled quick taps with a .22 just left of sternum center will do more damage than a 12g with '00' buck thrown downrange from the hip. That's the only problem with a gauge and '00'...the shot will go where it wants, not where you want it.

At home defense distances, the shot is not gonna have much time to spread. Most of the shot will be in the wad still... "Most" home defense distances will be 30' or less... However anything can happen...

i, also , have an 870 for home defence

I have my sig sauer P229 in .40 as my bedside initial responce weapon and the 870 with 00 buck as the fallback.

Shotguns are great up to a point...Here's why: I have spent hours in training on how to disarm people (bad guys, obviously). We use Red Guns or Blue Guns for this training. For those who don't know, Red Guns and Blue Guns are one-piece, solid resin guns used specifically training and only training.
This is what I have learned about shotguns:
Shotguns (and rifles) are dangerous to YOU during room clearing. As you are clearing, you want to come around a corner, 'slicing the pie' as you move, right? In a narrow hallway, small room, or any close quarters, a bad guy can stay hidden until he sees the barrel come around the corner. He can grab the gun, using the corner as leverage, pull you forward and off-balance, disarm you, and use YOUR gun to shoot you, club you, etc. In close quarters, the shotgun / rifle is no good for clearance. It is good, however, when 'standing your ground' (otherwise to maintain a room and keep it from being breached by BG). That's why I have two shotguns- just to maintain the security of a single room.
If you are using a gun to clear a structure, use a pistol that you can pull closer to your body when cornering. Never extend a gun around a corner where BG can grab it. When you keep the gun close to your body (called "close-combat position"), it is going to be more difficult for BG to grab it.
That's my two cents comment.

12 ga. with oo buck shot will find it's mark at 21 feet..we are not talk about 100 yard shooting...most gun fight/home defense is about 10-21 feet range..I took my 12 ga to the range shot center bull's eye at 25 yard ...of cause you have to practice...it is part of requirement as marksmanship.....
.22 vs 12ga at 21 feet.... I go 12ga ..because it will cause more damage and it is the fact. I hope this finds you well.

Well, if a person could only afford one firearm for home defense... yes, I advise a 12ga pump shotgun. Preferably one with a shorter barrel(18-20in). So, a "tactical" if you will. Brand I don't think is important... of course you want something that will go boom everytime you need it to. I own some Mossbergs, Remingtons, and Winchesters and never had an issue with either.

Even the 12ga part is up for debate. A 20ga with a well placed shot will do just the same as a 12ga.

So, agreed it's a shotgun... preferably a 12ga pump. But, any shotgun is better than no shotgun right?

I'm not a shotgun guy we have 2, I keep a 12 ga on my side bed and the better half keeps a 20, both H&R pumps loaded with #4 buck, thankfull they have never had to be used for there intended purpose, with a max 30 - 35 ft shot inside your home, your fairly safe from outside wall penatration, and while agreeing that a well placed 22 shot will put even the biggest bad ass down, its doubtful you will have time to aim that shot, I just wish we could have a shotgun with a 10 or 12 inch barrel without haveing to jump threw hoops for a permit

I'm not a shotgun guy we have 2, I keep a 12 ga on my side bed and the better half keeps a 20, both H&R pumps loaded with #4 buck, thankfull they have never had to be used for there intended purpose, with a max 30 - 35 ft shot inside your home, your fairly safe from outside wall penatration, and while agreeing that a well placed 22 shot will put even the biggest bad ass down, its doubtful you will have time to aim that shot, I just wish we could have a shotgun with a 10 or 12 inch barrel without haveing to jump threw hoops for a permit
If you don't mind shorter barrels there is the Judge from Taurus .410 ga. or .45 Colt, or the Governor from S&W.410 2 1/2", .45 ACP, .45 Colt. Neither one has as long a barrel as you wished for but the Taurus can be had with a 6-1/2" barrel.
They are "just" .410's but I really want to get hit with that.

Have not owned an 870 but do have a few 500 Mossbergs plus an old S&W tactical that looks as if it has been well used. What ever you keep just make sure you practice with it enough so that you do not freeze up if the worst happens. Do not be trigger happy but experienced enough so that your muscle memory will release the safety and put your finger where it belongs.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back