best defensive ammo for G26

gkeil961

Hello everyone, currently i am using Hornady CD 115g, my question is what would one prefer for the "ideal" round for defensive ammo..... Ive looked all over for the Winchester PDX but have been unable to locate them at my local gun shops in 9mm.

Any advice on what you use/recommend i would appreciate it, or would one just stay with the Hornady CD?

Thanks

Hello everyone, currently i am using Hornady CD 115g, my question is what would one prefer for the "ideal" round for defensive ammo..... Ive looked all over for the Winchester PDX but have been unable to locate them at my local gun shops in 9mm.

Any advice on what you use/recommend i would appreciate it, or would one just stay with the Hornady CD?

Thanks

Nothing wrong with CD, right now I've got Speer Gold dots 124gr because I got a good deal on them. In the end any name brand defensive ammo will do the job fine. Some people over think it, break out the list of every ammmo out there will there ballistics data and so forth. Guess what, your not gonna shoot someone from across a football field. Your gonna shoot them at very close range. Carry a good JHP and hit was your shooting at, done deal.

I carry CD in my M&P, there a great round. Cheaper than the Winchester PDX-1s, and you get more for the price. Critical Defense, where I live is 17.99 for a box of 25. The PDX-1s are 18.99 for 20.

Cost is not a factor when you're talking about your defensive carry ammo. Shoot enough of it to make sure it runs in your gun, then load it up. So let's leave price out. The only thing that matters is performance. And you're already carrying the best, so rest easy, and engage yourself in a more important discussion, like whether to tell the pool boy that you're carrying or not. :)

And in case you aren't convinced you're carrying the best...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhXSTqV0CT4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

For 9mm I would stay where your at with hornady. Ftx is a great round and it has been consistent in every test. But if you are unhappy with them I would suggest that you try speergold dot or corbon dpx if you dont want to
Shell out that much cash then I suggest winchester ranger t, federal hst or federal hydra shoks.

I must say I use federal hydra shok 180g h.p but if you are asking which has the best stopping power just depends on how many times and where ya shoot them Single head shot will stop dam near everyone doesn't matter what ammo ya use matters where you put the rounds on target

Speer Gold Dot 124g +p is on sale, is this round okay in G26 Gen 4 since the barrel length is only 3.5 not 4.0 or above?

Thanks

I carry a Glock 27...Hornady CD seems to be a very good choice i.m.h.o.
I have 'just recently' switched out all of my self defense ammo to the newer Hornady CD rounds.
Prior to that I have carried both the Winchester Silvertips & the Federal Hydrashocks.

There is a very nice article in the new Handguns Mag by **** Metcalf.

This CD ammo has surpassed all the FBI tests. There are pic's with different levels of penetration shot at different things like sheet metal, windshield glass, clothing and plywood and more.

I'm sold on this stuff. I'm glad it was what I was already using so there was no change I had to make.

KK

Speer Gold Dot 124g +p is on sale, is this round okay in G26 Gen 4 since the barrel length is only 3.5 not 4.0 or above?
I carry the following as CCW weapons
S&W Mod.#469 3.5" BBL. in 9 M.M.
Glock Mod. #22 in .40 Cal.
Walther PK380 in the 380 Cal. and a 3.5" bbl

All of these weapons are full of Speer Gold Dot ammo as is my wife's Walther PK380.
If Winchester made Ranger ammo for all of them then that is what I would be carrying.
Bill
P.S. Semper Fi Geikel from a brother Jar Head

Thanks

There's lots to consider when selecting defensive ammo. Price isn't one of them. Name brand also isn't much to worry about either since just about any quality name brand ammo is going to go bang when it's supposed to. You need to think about whether you want greater expansion or greater penetration. Ideally a JHP round would hit the BG in the center of his chest, fully expand creating a massive wound channel, and stop just before exiting his back. Greater velocity means more expansion which means less penetration with JHP rounds. Heavier rounds travel slower so that means less expansion and greater penetration. If I'm in a self defense situation I don't want my bullet over penetrating and hitting a bystander. I also don't want it to over expand and get clogged up in clothing where it may under penetrate and not do enough damage to stop the threat. You'll almost never achieve the ballistics that manufacturers advertise for their ammo because they conduct their testing in guns with special test barrels or very long barrels that you'd never find on a CC gun. You best bet is to find a chronograph and do some testing to see what kind of velocity your gun actually produces. The threshold for good expansion is somewhere between 950-1000 feet per second. If we're talking about a G26 we're dealing with a sub compact 9mm with a shorter barrel. If it were me I'd want to go with a lighter weight bullet to achieve greater velocity to achieve expansion but not the lightest. I have an M&P 9c and I use Winchester PDX 124gr +p in that gun. YMMV....

Not disputing your word but what is your source or why do you think it is sub standard. I think for what it's designed for, it has pretty good specs.

KK

Critical defense ammunition is specifically designed to limit penetration of the bullet in a human target with the presumption that every shooting will always be 90 degrees to the aggressor, just like shooting at paper targets at the target range.

The Real world of gunfights has taught the law enforcement community that self defense shootings are dynamic moving encounters that involve angles, extremities, cover, concealment and require a certain range of minimum penetration for a round to be considered duty worthy.

Hornady's Critical defense ammunition is specifically designed to fail these standards under the flawed premise that as a civilian you will never face the same self defense threat that a LEO may face.

If you like Hornady ammunition look for their new Critical DUTY line which meets the FBI standard for LE use.
29dv3mv_th.jpg

7 feet. 7 rounds. 7 seconds. I gather that's supposed to be the upper end of an exchange. At that range I want a well engineered round that is going to go where I want it to go and do its job. I read accounts of bad guys that have a full magazine unloaded into them and then walk down the street and drive home or collapse and expire. The point is that there is a huge difference in terms of shot placement. Place your shots in the tummy instead of the cardiovascular triangle and you are just going to tick off a druggie that's high... and it's going to take a long time to bleed out in all liklihood. Shot placement is key at 9mm. Use a well engineered round like a Gold Dot and be sure you can place your rounds well. And above all, know what the hell you are doing. You do NOT want to stand still and play 'target range'... you want to be on the move diagonally and seeking cover if possible. In advance if possible. And as one great pistolsmith used to say "you want to be shootin' fast... but not too fast".

There is no simple answer. For my part, I feel naked carrying a 9mm and only use something starting with a "4" for self defense. The Glock mini .45's are among my favorites both at home and while travelling. I own several in various sizes down to the Glock 36, which I carry with 7 rounds in it and 10 rounds on the reload as I don't have to conceal the reload mags as critically.

I also have a couple of Glock 30's and carry ten round magazines for reload and a nine round magazine in the pistol for concealment.

Many factors to consider. If I am going to only be able to go for the cardiovascular triangle shots then I want lots of hits and a couple of extra rounds on the reload mags.

Best bet? Avoid the fight even if you have to run screaming like a little girl.

I like a round with a little more oomph. I carry a Beretta PX4 Compact with Winchester Ranger T series 124 gr +p JHP. If you watch a few of the online ammo sources you can find them in stock. Winchester Ranger T and Federal HST (both excellent SD rounds) are only sold to LEOs according to company policy but if you watch a few online ammo sources you will find them in stock every now and then when agencies order them and for whatever reason don't pick them up. They run about half the price of normal SD rounds because they are not marketted commercially and are some of the best SD rounds available.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back