Best concealed position

If my firearm is still in my holster as soon as I "presume imminent danger" I am already in a heap of trouble and probably a loser regardless of the holster and its position. Personally, running away, evading etal are meant to allow me time to "set up"--to have my firearm at a non-brandishing "very ready" position. In my way of thinking my holster is to hold my firearm and has very little to do with my eventual use of the firearm. I am not a gunslinger per the old west with that "lightnin draw". I will do anything and everything to be sure that all I have to do is raise it and point shoot and this does not involve my holster position--as a matter of fact it does not involve my holster at all.

That is a question you have to answer yourself.
Are you fat, thin, what type of clothing are you wearing, what type of hand do you have, are you open carry or concealed, revolver or automatic?
If you can open carry go watch a old western.
If you have to conceal you need to think more of how you are uncovering the weapon before you draw it.
A semi automatic is flat and can rest up against your body and make it harder to grasp quickly when a revolver's grip will be farther from the body.
I have been going over this in my own head while I wait for my license.
I bought a holster and went against what I was told because it felt right for me and that was to cross draw.
I am right handed and felt it was easiest to carry my gun on my left side with a right hand SOB holster for the fastest draw.
This way I can lift my shirt with my left hand and grip my gun with my right and cross-draw and that is what some people say you should not do.
This way if I am sitting down, standing up, laying on the ground, have a gas pump or anything else in my right hand my left hand will usually be free to quickly get clothing out of the way while I clear my right hand.
This is what I have thought about and tried a little at home since I just recently purchased my gun and applied in Illinois for my permit, so have not really practiced this.
My other thought is I ride my bike a lot on trails so I could move the SOB holster to it's proper position in the Small of Back, since I would be slightly bent over on my mountain bike making it uncomfortable in the other position but freeing it up more at the back since my shirt would ride up while bent over.
This all may change and that is life. Live and learn and continue to repeat.
Just remember putting the gun back in the holster should never be rushed, take your time and do it right or the person with the gun you need to worry about is you.

Link Removed
I don't know of any "studies", I'm sure there are some out there.
I attended the four day defensive handgun course @ Front Sight.
Very good class! All drills were performed from concealment. Gun
in holster @ 3 to 4 o'clock position strong side. (RH) opposite for lefties.
If you are going to carry for self defense. Carry it in the same place all the time.
We can't say enough about practice. Most of the class learned to draw & put two
hits on target in 2 seconds or less. I recommend training to all you folks, even
if you are an 'old salt'. This website has a vast amount of excellent info.

Yupper. Carry that shooter in the front of your pants so you can shoot yourself in the willy while trying to draw. That way you won't notice so much when the bad guy pounds you into pulp and takes your little popper. That's what an old cop told me many years ago.
I'll carry my gun outside my pants like the big boys do, thanks.

I read just recently, that a African American gent, of questionable character did just that, go's to the local ER to get his willy fixed, don't remember exactly what the article said, but I don't think ha had much of a willy after that

I read just recently, that a African American gent, of questionable character did just that, go's to the local ER to get his willy fixed, don't remember exactly what the article said, but I don't think ha had much of a willy after that

Here is that story
Link Removed

Link Removed
I don't know of any "studies", I'm sure there are some out there.
I attended the four day defensive handgun course @ Front Sight.
Very good class! All drills were performed from concealment. Gun
in holster @ 3 to 4 o'clock position strong side. (RH) opposite for lefties.
If you are going to carry for self defense. Carry it in the same place all the time.
We can't say enough about practice. Most of the class learned to draw & put two
hits on target in 2 seconds or less. I recommend training to all you folks, even
if you are an 'old salt'. This website has a vast amount of excellent info.

Wow 4 days to learn 1 position! And the picture isn't even concealed!
Glad I can think for myself and don't always do the same thing wearing the same clothes going through the same motions.
How can you always carry in the same position if you are living life.
I would suggest if you are taking a class to find out about it first and if you spend 4 days on one position to get your money back.
I am a rookie and just got my gun and I am checking things out to see what fits and works for me.
I will not listen to anyone that says it has to be done this way and this way only!

Glad I can think for myself and don't always do the same thing wearing the same clothes going through the same motions.
I would suggest if you are taking a class to find out about it first and if you spend 4 days on one position to get your money back.
I am a rookie and just got my gun and I am checking things out to see what fits and works for me.
I will not listen to anyone that says it has to be done this way and this way only!

Are you 14?
4 days doesn't even scratch the surface of what is needed to truly learn the muscle memory needed.
While I'm not going to go take the class thanks to Uncle Sam giving me the pointers I needed to learn on my own, it still sounds valid. PICK ONE WAY TO CARRY, and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Once you master that, then chose another and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE since that's what you want to do, but don't condemn others if they chose to always carry in one spot.

BCCCW, you didn't have to tell us you are a "rookie", we gathered that. However, having said that .... THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!

Steon, please read this slowly so you might understand.
I never condemned anyone for always carrying in one spot.
If you can and that works for you, great, that would be best.
A 4 day class I am sure was not just devoted to practicing drawing from a 3 - 4 o- clock position but maybe it was.
My thinking is that when in class you should be asked what position you feel most comfortable with and what position you plan to use most often and then train on it in class and when out of class train on it and all other positions.
My reply was to a post placed by an instructor that went to a class and did not even say you should go with what you feel comfortable with.
Maybe he did not mean it the way it was stated, but all he said was they only did the one position and you should stay with that position.
I also do not believe what you say to be true for everyone that 4 days is not enough for memory because everyone different.
I am a maintenance manager and we have a conveyor system that has many robots and other equipment on it and there is an emergency pull cord that runs the entire length and there are employees that have been on that line for 15 years and have never been capable of pulling that cord when needed and I have saw guys on the line for 2 days and pulled the cord immediately.
Also no one should rely on muscle memory alone because they will shoot when they should not.
You say Uncle Sam trained you and you can do it on your own now, WOW! they would have trained you for war and if you think you don't need others help anymore, WOW!

I spent 16 hours in class for my CCW permit with ex military and people who hunted all their lives and I had only purchased my pistol 1 week prior and hadn't even shot it yet and I shot better and knew more than all but one person. Had only shot my friends guns 2 weeks prior.

Am I 14, NO! But by your comment to the thread I started asking about Wisconsin accepting Illinois permit and you saying nobody should accept Illinois permits because Illinois doesn't accept them I think I know you!
You are that little boy that always took his ball and went crying home to mommy!

Are you 14?
4 days doesn't even scratch the surface of what is needed to truly learn the muscle memory needed.
While I'm not going to go take the class thanks to Uncle Sam giving me the pointers I needed to learn on my own, it still sounds valid. PICK ONE WAY TO CARRY, and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Once you master that, then chose another and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE since that's what you want to do, but don't condemn others if they chose to always carry in one spot.

It sounds like you want to have the best advantage you can in drawing your handgun as fast as you can if the need arises. I know of no study done that claims that "X" is the fastest method. There are too many variables (body shape, body size, type of handgun, length of barrel, type of holster, number of retentions on holster, etc.) to do a proper study.

With that said, I did find several sites that show how to do perform quick-draw drills or to practice drawing quickly. I make no claim for the information as it was a fairly quick search. But read them, take what they say and see if it applies for you in your situation.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2013/10/quick-draw-drills/

How to do a Tactical Quickdraw with a Pistol | nwtactical blog

Link Removed

I posted my opinion. I did not expect it to lead to an attack on my character or anyone else.
This is a discussion on Best concealed position. Everyone has to start somewhere and figure
out what works best for them. That involves study practice & an open mind. I practice several
times each week. I carry "strong side @ 3:30" That works best for me. I am an instructor and
I keep learning as much as I can. Most of us will never be involved with a deadly encounter.
However it is our duty to be prepared to protect self & family. (BCCCW I'm sorry that my photo did not impress you)
Harold Mistler Master Sargent (ret)
Kansas Concealed Carry Instructor
Utah Concealed Carry Instructor
NRA Instructor
Distinguished Rifelman

It sounds like you want to have the best advantage you can in drawing your handgun as fast as you can if the need arises. I know of no study done that claims that "X" is the fastest method. There are too many variables (body shape, body size, type of handgun, length of barrel, type of holster, number of retentions on holster, etc.) to do a proper study.

With that said, I did find several sites that show how to do perform quick-draw drills or to practice drawing quickly. I make no claim for the information as it was a fairly quick search. But read them, take what they say and see if it applies for you in your situation.

Quick-Draw Drills - Personal Defense World

How to do a Tactical Quickdraw with a Pistol | nwtactical blog

Link Removed

Great resources, Thanks Wolf

I posted my opinion. I did not expect it to lead to an attack on my character or anyone else.
This is a discussion on Best concealed position. Everyone has to start somewhere and figure
out what works best for them. That involves study practice & an open mind. I practice several
times each week. I carry "strong side @ 3:30" That works best for me. I am an instructor and
I keep learning as much as I can. Most of us will never be involved with a deadly encounter.
However it is our duty to be prepared to protect self & family. (BCCCW I'm sorry that my photo did not impress you)
Harold Mistler Master Sargent (ret)
Kansas Concealed Carry Instructor
Utah Concealed Carry Instructor
NRA Instructor
Distinguished Rifelman

Sorry maybe I should just keep my mouth shut, but I have been searching the internet like crazy for information at many web sites including YouTube since Illinois has changed its laws and I am just frustrated at all the bad information out there.
Specifically on how to draw your weapon, so many places show you how and say it is for concealed but when they show you, it is never concealed.
I went through a 16 hour class to get certified and was disappointed with that because stuff is so cookie cutter and they rushed.
So I am sorry if I have made people mad but I know there are others out there like me and just want to make sure they know they can take opinions but they have to make the final decision for themselves.
Since where I am at, the ranges are packed all the time and with 4 kids it is hard to get time to get in, and then with the weather hardly above zero and the range freezing because of exhaust I have turned to the internet and have spent well over a hundred hours the past couple months researching and learning.
What scares me is how this thread was even started.
What would that person do if there was a study that said 3:30 is the best position, would they only look at doing that position, because who did the study and how many people would have been in it.
If there were 1000 people in that study I guarantee you it was not the best for all 1000. Even if it was good for 999 you might be that one.
After I gave thought to what might work for me and purchased my holster I found a video on YouTube for almost the exact thing and I will tag that with my previous comment on this thread.
If there is anything I have learned from Illinois changing its law is that I can’t get enough good information, this is going to get very expensive and if you go cheap you might hurt somebody you love or at least somebody shouldn’t hurt.

I carry a remora with a LCR at 12-1 O'Clock. I have found no other position as comfortable with it. One of the main reasons I carry a snubbie is the uber short barrel is perfect and the revolver I find far fast to draw than an semi automatic. I tried to carry both a xds and a G19 there and it was not as comfortable and harder to get a good grip. My draw times were 20% slower at best. They are carried iwb at 4:00 O'Clock

just 'bout the action boss...

That is a question you have to answer yourself.
Are you fat, thin, what type of clothing are you wearing, what type of hand do you have, are you open carry or concealed, revolver or automatic?
If you can open carry go watch a old western.
If you have to conceal you need to think more of how you are uncovering the weapon before you draw it.
A semi automatic is flat and can rest up against your body and make it harder to grasp quickly when a revolver's grip will be farther from the body.
I have been going over this in my own head while I wait for my license.
I bought a holster and went against what I was told because it felt right for me and that was to cross draw.
I am right handed and felt it was easiest to carry my gun on my left side with a right hand SOB holster for the fastest draw.
This way I can lift my shirt with my left hand and grip my gun with my right and cross

I found this video that shows what I was getting at.
This is almost the same holster I have except mine was made for the pt145 pro. Great Holster!
I wish he wouldn't hold his hand in front of his weapon. :fie:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back