Been thinking about my projected career options...

gunnerbob

PEW Professional
I haven't posted in a long time, been busy.

Anyway, after nearly finishing my degree in Criminal Justice and giving this idea many hours of careful thought, deep discussions with my wife and understanding my moral limitations...

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to pursue becoming an EMT instead of an LE career.

I won't give the details about which school I plan to attend because none of you people has such a need-to-know but, I have picked a school and plan to attend next year. What I don't know is whether or not I should go into the field right after finishing my EMT-B studies or go for an EMT-I after the basic course, then go into the field. Any advice form current or former EMTs is welcome.

I suppose this post will make more sense to those older members here, who know more about me. For you newer ones, I don't know... welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Go all the way...paramedic!!! Of your options, all the EMT-I's I worked with got their "I" while working in the field.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

Go all the way...paramedic!!! Of your options, all the EMT-I's I worked with got their "I" while working in the field.

Hey, Chen! Okay, so it's more likely I would get certified as an "I" in the field anyway... I know that the school I'm looking at also offers an AEMT/EMT-A course as well, what do you think about me getting that certification prior to going into the field? The school does offer a degree in Paramedicine, 55 credit hours I believe. Would you think it wise to go into the field first to know truly if it's for me before I "go all the way"?

In my opinion, the confidence and skill set you would learn as a paramedic is worth it, even in life beyond working in the field.

Financially, if it's an option I'd say get your school done in one shot. The internship and clinical hours for paramedic will give you a good feel how the field will be.

In my opinion, the confidence and skill set you would learn as a paramedic is worth it, even in life beyond working in the field.

Financially, if it's an option I'd say get your school done in one shot. The internship and clinical hours for paramedic will give you a good feel how the field will be.

Bob,
Having gone this route before I agree with Chen. If you have the option of completing the program in one shot then do it. When I was in the paramedic program many many years ago (28 to be exact) it was not an option but now it is.
28 years was a long time ago for the medical field. Back then computers didn't even run windows and most didn't even have hard drives! Damn I feel old now. But rest assured you will learn a very valuable and needed skill come SHTF.

Okay, I'll look into whether or not I'd have enough GI Bill to cover all of it. Off the top of my head, I think I'll be cutting it pretty close.

Of course, another very positive gain to entering this field is I'll get more knowledge of first-aid/trauma skills that will carry over into whatever else I do. I have basic knowledge now, typical and simple combat know-how.

Bob,
Having gone this route before I agree with Chen. If you have the option of completing the program in one shot then do it. When I was in the paramedic program many many years ago (28 to be exact) it was not an option but now it is.
28 years was a long time ago for the medical field. Back then computers didn't even run windows and most didn't even have hard drives! Damn I feel old now. But rest assured you will learn a very valuable and needed skill come SHTF.

Thanks, Slick. I suppose I should take the advice from two former Paramedics telling me to complete as much schooling as possible before entering the field as good advice.

Even if one of them is ancient... :biggrin:

Thanks, Slick. I suppose I should take the advice from two former Paramedics telling me to complete as much schooling as possible before entering the field as good advice.

Even if one of them is ancient... :biggrin:

I don't think Chen will get upset. :)

I haven't been posting much lately either Bob. I also haven't been stopping by to read much, but glad as all get-out that I ran across this thread when I stopped in tonight. Without going into it in any depth, suffice it to say that I believe you made the right decision. I hope going into paramedicine turns out to be another right decision for you. :biggrin:

I haven't been posting much lately either Bob. I also haven't been stopping by to read much, but glad as all get-out that I ran across this thread when I stopped in tonight. Without going into it in any depth, suffice it to say that I believe you made the right decision. I hope going into paramedicine turns out to be another right decision for you. :biggrin:

Hey Blues, been awhile. I'm hoping it turns out well for my family and I. I'm thinking it will.

I hope all is well with you and yours, my friend.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back