Be careful with gun and children at home

FN1910

I know this has nothing to do with guns but think if there had been a gun available to the children, it could have turned out much differently.

Link Removed

MYRTLE BEACH—A 13-year-old from Myrtle Beach is charged with assault with the intent to kill after playing a Wii video game with his 11-year-old brother.

According to a Myrtle Beach Police Department incident report, the brothers’ parents were bowling while a babysitter stayed home with the kids at Colonial Apartments on Oak Street Feb. 22.

The report states the boys were playing Wii when the teen became irritated with his younger brother who was dancing around the room when he started winning.

The babysitter told police the teen got an aluminum baseball bat and began chasing his brother around the house; but she was able to stop him from hitting his brother. She said after that, they began playing the game again and everything appeared normal.

Then the 11-year-old began teasing his brother again, so the teen went to the kitchen and got a knife off of the refrigerator, according to the report.

The babysitter said the teen started walking towards the 11-year-old with the knife and she held him against a wall to keep the brothers apart. She reports the teen said multiple times he would kill his brother.

The teen said he then dropped the knife and started crying.

The teen was taken to Conway Medical Center for a mental evaluation. His mother asked that he be deemed incorrigible, saying she fears for his safety and the safety of her family.

Hey FN1910: There is no way (other than a safe where you are the only one with the combination when you are not carrying or when you are carrying ) you can equate a gun in the house with kids. Kids are basically stupid (not in a demeaning sense but in a rational thought-process manner) and extremely curious and inventive. No matter where you think you can hide a gun, they will find it. Many posts on such an issue and IMO no matter what anyone says about serious "training" of children about guns etc and the "need" for several guns at optimum locations throughout a house, it is only by sheer luck that they have not witnessed tragedy. IMO this is a clear black and white issue---guns and kids do not mix--no matter what.

Interesting. When raising our children we didn't hide tools. We kept them out of reach until they were old enough to understand what would happen if any tool was used improperly, whether a kitchen blender or a gun. Fortunately, having exceptional children was a plus. The point I'm trying to make is that tools were not mysteries and therefore they didn't go looking for the "forbidden fruit". They also didn't want to show them to their little friends as the tools were just a part of life.

As far as the juvenile delinquent in the story above, the tool was not the problem it was the boy who has some serious emotional problems that go way beyond any tool he might abuse.

Hey FN1910: There is no way (other than a safe where you are the only one with the combination when you are not carrying or when you are carrying ) you can equate a gun in the house with kids. Kids are basically stupid (not in a demeaning sense but in a rational thought-process manner) and extremely curious and inventive. No matter where you think you can hide a gun, they will find it. Many posts on such an issue and IMO no matter what anyone says about serious "training" of children about guns etc and the "need" for several guns at optimum locations throughout a house, it is only by sheer luck that they have not witnessed tragedy. IMO this is a clear black and white issue---guns and kids do not mix--no matter what.

This is how some in the government and everyone at The Brady Center feels about you having a gun. There are very few black and whites in this world. Some children should never touch a gun even once they're adults. Others can handle the responsibility and the age varies. About every other month or so in the NRA magazine on the "Armed Citizens" page there is an account of a young teenager driving off intruders or killing an animal that is attacking a sibling - something along those lines. To quote CSN&Y "Teach your children well..."

Maybe the parents should be deemed unfit.

Most children by nature are selfish and violent, it's part of human nature. It takes good parenting to teach children to embody good characteristics such as sharing and peaceful resolution.

Ironic, as I'm writing this, my youngest (2 1/2) just intentionally smashed her older sister's (4) finger with a jumbo lego block because she didn't want her to play with "her" blocks. Now she's in time out because of it.

Maybe if they had taught their son at a younger age not to "smash fingers" when he was angry, this might have never happened.

When my children were young, I kept my guns locked up. When I was young, my father took a different approach. He took me out and showed me what a .357 magnum could do. It made an impression! He told me that his guns were always loaded, that they were worthless when you needed them otherwise. He said that I could look at it and handle it any time I wanted to, as long as he was present and that I could shoot it whenever I was ready. No mystery, no dangerous curiosity. Fifty-plus years later, I still have and cherish that S&W Model 27.

I remember that my father and I had guns when I was 12 and there was never any issues. They were never locked up and I never played with them and neither did my younger sister.

Now, it is not reasonable to compare one scenario to any other as the family dynamic is a very big variable. Children are taught very differently family to family and some are not taught properly at all. Each child is different and one formula is not necessarily right for all. I taught my boys that guns are a tool and all can kill. They had their curiosity satisfied at an early age and never touched them if I was not physically present. Now, my now ex wife inststed that we had a gun safe and I did get one for sake of marital harmony (see where it got me in the end). Now, with the boys out of the house and also my stepdaughter (to say nothing about wife #2 being much more of a realist about everything), things are a bit more relaxed. I do keep the pistols in a tabletop safe next to the bed because of young visitors and the fact that some parents do not keep their children on a short leash and let them pretty much run amuck. I had that reality struck home when my young neice & nephew stole money and pens from my dresser a couple Christmases ago. We didn't even realize that they went into our bedroom by themselves until after I found things missing.

You have to do what you feel is most approoriate with your particular home situation keeping in mind that if a child gets harmed with one of your firearms, it is your direct responsibility legally period. Lack of malace has nothing to do with it. Still, regardless of the legal ramifications, imagine having to live with this tragedy for the rest of your life. It's way too easy to avoid. Children are somewhat unpredictable regardless of what kind of parent you are. You just never know and better not to know after it's too late.

When I was 6 years old I became interested in guns after seeing my Grandfather's 410 shotgun. My family didn't have guns of any type in, or around the house, but my father knew that my interest would only increase as I got older. He did the best thing he could have done, he took me to a N.R.A. instructor at a local gun club, and we all sat down and talked about guns. Starting with safety first, then explaining how the firearm worked, what it was capable of doing if not treated with respect, etc... My father enrolled me in the club's youth program, bought my first target rifle, and put me in the capable hands of the N.R.A. Instructors. I still remember the lesson's learned, and achievements made as I became one of the top shooters for my age at the club. 40+ years later, and after teaching many people how to shoot including my daughter at the age of 8 those lessons still echo in my ears. Children today are growing up much too fast due to Television, Internet, and the absence of parental guidance. Most of these stories of children shooting, or killing someone with a gun makes me mad at the parents for either not teaching them the social skills needed, and probably lack themselves. It is the parent's job to see if their child has a problem mentally! Just as it is the parent's job to see if the child has a problem physically. The child in the story here has issues for sure, but where did they come from? Without some type of intervention, or treatment he will surly end up another statistic.
To this day my father still does not own a gun.

It's strange

Fn1910 states that this has nothing to do with guns. Then goes on to say what could have happened had the child gained access to a gun.Responsible people take every precaution humanly possible to avoid situations where a young child could gain access to any dangerous item. This can include drain opener, a pan full of boiling water, keys to the family car, matches, I think you get my drift. This just sounds to me like yet another attempt to blame the gun for the actions of people.
No one with an ounce of sense would trivialize the importance of keeping guns out of reach of children, or for that matter any unauthorized persons. But I have to agree with kelcarry, this sounds like something the Brady bunch would latch onto as part of their anti-gun ramblings. If you have a firearm in the home for self defense, keeping it locked in a safe makes it almost as useless as not having a gun at all. Come to think of it, is that not what the ultimate goal of the anti-gunners are?
P.S. I think Crosby,Stills, Nash,and Young are great!

I did not mean to excite or accuse anyone for not following safety guidelines jus trying to point out how children do not think like adults. Folks I don't care how well you think you have your children "trained" they will surprise you. I am the father of three and I know. The child in this story started off with a baseball bat and moved on to a knife. The younger one didn't bother to learn from the first "beating" either. There was a babysitter with them so if there had been a gun or some other device the child could have easily gotten it.

I am a little of a safety fanatic at times and part of it comes from my childhood. You see I had a cousin fall on a piece of broken glass and die from her throat being cut. She was 6 and I was 10 at the time. I still miss her 50 years later. Another cousin was just learning to walk and pulled a pan of hot grease off the stove onto his head. A 14 year old friend of mine was killed when his father "accidently" fired his .22 caliber pistol while showing it off. The home is full of dangers and do not ever ASSUME that your children know better. Guns are just one of the many things to be aware of. The person that says my child would never do that is just ASSUMING that his child wouldn't. Not far from here a few months ago one child got mad at another for eating all the potatoE chips and shot her with a .410 that he got from his father's closet.

Only yesterday and gentle trained whale grabbed its trainer and killed her. Animals and children do not think like adults should. Lots of adults don't think like adults should. Don't take any unnecessary chances. I grew up in a house with loaded guns behind the bedroom door, a Grandfather that carried a pistol in his left pocket on top of a large roll of money and someway made it to adulthood. When people ask me, "Didn't you do so-and-so when you were young" I answer, "Yes, and that is why it scares me so now".

When I was growing up my stepdad always kept the guns locked up where he "THOUGHT" they were safe. He did not realize I had figured out how to unlock and open the safe; UNTIL one day I was showing my friend a revolver and he shot it in the house.
(Had my stepdad taken the time to show me how to handle the gun, I still would have taken the gun out. But, I would have know how to check to see if it were loaded; AND how to unload it.)

No matter what all the libtards think, the absolute BEST way to keep kids safe in a house with guns is to TEACH them how to handle a gun; AND show how dangerous a gun can be by taking them "hunting".

Kids WILL not understand the dangers of a gun by shooting holes in paper. They will not understand what damage being shot can do by shooting watermelons.

BUT!

If you take them "Hunting" and let them see an animal killed or (even better) kill an animal themselves, they WILL get a much more clear picture of how a firearm is NOT a toy; AND using one can/will cause PERMANENT harm or death.

When I was growing up my stepdad always kept the guns locked up where he "THOUGHT" they were safe. He did not realize I had figured out how to unlock and open the safe; UNTIL one day I was showing my friend a revolver and he shot it in the house.
(Had my stepdad taken the time to show me how to handle the gun, I still would have taken the gun out. But, I would have know how to check to see if it were loaded; AND how to unload it.)

No matter what all the libtards think, the absolute BEST way to keep kids safe in a house with guns is to TEACH them how to handle a gun; AND show how dangerous a gun can be by taking them "hunting".

Kids WILL not understand the dangers of a gun by shooting holes in paper. They will not understand what damage being shot can do by shooting watermelons.
BUT!

If you take them "Hunting" and let them see an animal killed or (even better) kill an animal themselves, they WILL get a much more clear picture of how a firearm is NOT a toy; AND using one can/will cause PERMANENT harm or death.

They tried to do away with the violence on TV so when the A-Team came on they never could hurt anyone. The could fire 967 bullets and the car would roll over 5 times but the BG's would come out unhurt wit their hands up. Kids thought that was the way it could happen. I am all for showing the actual violence on TV of people getting killed when they get shot. Kids need to see that when someone jumps off of a nuilding or gets shot they actually die instead of this pantie waist mess of no one ever getting actually hurt from doing dumb things.

Maybe the parents should be deemed unfit.

Based on what, exactly? This news report?

The mother response:

Posted by jlbstb05 on February 26, 2010 at 1:48 am

I just want to make things clear. These are my children. My son has NOT been charges with anything yet. He is currently receiving medical attention and will not be charged until he goes to court. I never stated that my child was incorrigible, I only stated that I want my son to get the help he needed. I had to call WMBF news and set them straight as well and they have reprinted the story and interviewed me on camera. The babysitter did not overreact because my 13 yr old did grab a knife and try to get to my 11 yr old. He has a cyst on his brain that causes his behavior to change but so far has been controlled by medication. My son was not a threat to anybody when I left hime with his sitter. I leave my children with her every week and have not had any problems up until now. My son is now getting the help he needs and I really wish that people would quit judging my family on this. People should really stop trying to judge unless the know the entire story. MBPD screwed up the report which is where these news sites get their info.

There are always three sides to every story...

In a forum such as this I expected mostly negative replies to my very hard and clear cut attitude about kids and guns and most of you did not disappoint me. We will always agree to disagree on this issue, but please do not give me this Brady garbage and government intervention baloney---I have my firearms and I do not appreciate the "Brady Bunch" and I do not appreciate the anti 2A's but, regardless of what many of you have said about your responsible children and how responsible you were when you were a child, I do not give any credence to using the words "kids" and "responsibilities" in the same sentence when it comes to firearms---maybe taking out the garbage, handling money, and doing their homework but not firearms. There is an old saying that you can always tell when a child is lying--their lips are moving. I assume from the comments, if your children are so responsible that you would have no problem letting them have driving licenses, and even obtaining a CCWP. I hope and pray your decisions do not come back to haunt you someday---I do not have the statistics on such haunting remembrances but I'll bet there are quite a few every year and many probably involve a "responsible" child and a firearm.

In a forum such as this I expected mostly negative replies to my very hard and clear cut attitude about kids and guns and most of you did not disappoint me. We will always agree to disagree on this issue, but please do not give me this Brady garbage and government intervention baloney---I have my firearms and I do not appreciate the "Brady Bunch" and I do not appreciate the anti 2A's but, regardless of what many of you have said about your responsible children and how responsible you were when you were a child, I do not give any credence to using the words "kids" and "responsibilities" in the same sentence when it comes to firearms---maybe taking out the garbage, handling money, and doing their homework but not firearms. There is an old saying that you can always tell when a child is lying--their lips are moving. I assume from the comments, if your children are so responsible that you would have no problem letting them have driving licenses, and even obtaining a CCWP. I hope and pray your decisions do not come back to haunt you someday---I do not have the statistics on such haunting remembrances but I'll bet there are quite a few every year and many probably involve a "responsible" child and a firearm.

There are probably stats on both sides - those that misused a gun and those that saved themselves or another with one. I'll bet the first is greater than the last. But there's the forgotten statistic. How many kids were killed or abducted in their own homes and never had a chance to get to a gun? I'll bet nobody is keeping that statistic.

Hey AvidshooterTX: Your forgotten statistic about children who are abducted and NEVER GOT TO A GUN to protect themselves makes me shake my head. Are we talking about the 4 year olds? If I read this comment and absorb its meaning, I am to assume that for the sake of this statistic, I should have a firearm readily available and accessible for every child in my home IN CASE a maniac comes in and tries to kidnap them. I wish you would take back that comment on your reply--you really have lost me on that one; I have appreciated many of your posts on various threads but this comment--I just do not understand it.

Hey AvidshooterTX: Your forgotten statistic about children who are abducted and NEVER GOT TO A GUN to protect themselves makes me shake my head. Are we talking about the 4 year olds? If I read this comment and absorb its meaning, I am to assume that for the sake of this statistic, I should have a firearm readily available and accessible for every child in my home IN CASE a maniac comes in and tries to kidnap them. I wish you would take back that comment on your reply--you really have lost me on that one; I have appreciated many of your posts on various threads but this comment--I just do not understand it.

Where did I say 4 year olds? Haven't you seen the news lately? A lot of young teens (especially girls) get abducted. I started hunting at 12 and knew how to safely handle a gun at around 10. Get the American Rifleman on a regular basis and look how many "kids" end up saving themselves and others. All families are different and everyone has to make their own evaluations about maturity. There is liability so you need to make up your own mind. Which do you fear more? Your children or child predators? Before you answer go to one of those sites where it shows you all the perverts who live within 5 miles of your house.

Hey AvidshooterTX: Just to correct your reply, I did not indicate that you said anything about 4 year olds, I merely asked you what age you believed was appropriate--yes I was a bit sarcastic and for that I apologize. You followed this comment with the be all and end all of our conversations---being a libertarian and not appreciating the government being involved in my life, I agree with you that it is up to the responsible members of the family to make this decision about a child and a gun--we may absolutely disagree on this (and obviously we do--we come from very different areas and very different environments) but we do agree that this responsiblity and the ultimate criminal/civil liabilities associated with making a bad decision should rest with the family and g-d help you if your decision was really very very bad. I still find your decision to "hang your hat" on the issue of "guns in the hands of children will minimize the predator/kidnapping risk" to be a bit "reaching". The NRA mags only report the good stories and conveniently leave out the tragedies (I am an NRA member). I still appreciate your comments on many threads and do understand your point of view even if I disagree with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back