Are you at risk when you go to the range?

Jay

Well, you certainly can be....

I was talking with a long time shooting friend this morning, and we got onto the subject of the risk a person runs when they go to a shooting range. If some miscreant was looking for a source of small items, worth lots of money, easy to sell, found in a secluded area, most any shooting range would be a rich hunting ground for such an individual.

I remember reading about several murders/robberies that had occurred at shooting ranges in TX, FL, and WV, just to name a few. I always carry to the range, and I never shoot my carry gun while at the range. I have a stable of carry guns, and the carry of the day never gets fired at the range. If I usually carry gun "A", and want to shoot it, then I'll carry gun "B", and shoot gun "A". That way, I always have a loaded, clean weapon on board. I rarely go to the range alone, but we're lucky, as we have a caretaker that lives on the premises. Let someone know when you're going, where you're going, and when you expect to return. When one shooter goes down range to change targets.. I invite everyone down range. If I'm with a friend, one of us watches other shooters while the other changes targets. Of course, none of these precautions are necessary if you can always identify the "bad guy".

It's NOT paranoia, as paranoia is an unfounded or exaggerated distrust of others. Historical fact, removes paranoia from the table.

Shoot safely, and stay aware of your surroundings... ALL THE TIME.

My range is in my back yard, so my risk is minimal. But robberies at shooting ranges? That's gotta be one gutsy criminal!

Only murders I have heard about in FL have been crazies on the range who kill others shooters them themselves...I am more concerned about that and negligent shooters than criminals when at the range.

I hate ranges but when I do shoot at one, I always make sure I have at least one gun ready to go just in case. It doesnt take much for another shooter to turn his barrel 90 degrees and have you dead.

My range is in my back yard, so my risk is minimal. But robberies at shooting ranges? That's gotta be one gutsy criminal!

If the unarmed victim is 100 yards away setting targets, and his $1000 rifle is leaning against the bench.... not so much guts required.

Huckaleros are the real risk at the range. Lot's of untrained, unsafe shooters out there. When you go to a range don't just setup and start shooting. Take a few minutes to look at the habits of the other shooters. Sometimes it's better to just leave.

If the unarmed victim is 100 yards away setting targets, and his $1000 rifle is leaning against the bench.... not so much guts required.
Why would you leave your weapon 100 yards away in public? You were in the Marines? Don't y'all sleep with your rifles?? I don't get too far from any of my weapons at any time. Especially if in public.

The ranges here in Arizona are all controlled ranges. The largest of which is the World famous Ben Avery Shooting Facility. I am a volunteer RSO there, and I can tell you, that the problems you all speak of as far as theft, murder and such do not happen there. There are 15 minute shooting sessions followed by cease fire periods where NOBODY is allowed to touch ANYTHING on the shooting benches, and we keep a VERY close eye on them. That is the time that everyone goes down range or stays behind a red safety line away from the bench. Now, have there been cases where DURING a live fire session I have had firearms pointed at me UNINTENTIONALLY and that person has had a quick but polite reprimand, and if necessary removal from the range and retrained on the rules. And before you ask, NO we are not allowed to carry while working the line. I know, it doesn't make sense to me. It is an Arizona State Game and Fish run Facility.

Then the problem isn't the risk of going to the range. It's the risk of doing something really stupid with a $1000 rifle.

Not at all, sir..... while your response is quite "flip"" it's considerably off the mark. The problem IS the risk of going to the range... and getting killed in the process.

Read.

Link Removed

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation - Rewards

Self-Defense Tip: Never Shoot Alone | The Truth About Guns

Now do a search... lots of occurrences such as these... just a heads up... but you put yer head wherever it's comfortable for you.

It you want to live your life 100 percent risk free stay in bed.
Range owners take a risk by opening such a business.
The riskiest part of shooting at a range is breathing in the lead dust and eating later without washing your hands.
It won't be long before there is an additional tax on indoor shooting ranges under Obama care to defray to health related risk. (real or imagined)
The range fees will go up and up to the point there will be no more ranges.

Personal experience and observation tells me that there's FAR more danger to me from pure negligence on an unsupervised or poorly supervised range than there is of me being robbed of my firearms.

I used to patronize one of the few commercial ranges left in the Cleveland area. The last time I shot there, within ten minutes of my arrival, I was both swept by the guy in the stall next to me and witnessed a bunch of guys yelling at each other in Serbo-Croatian wrestling over a loaded Remington 870. The person at the counter took not the slightest notice of any of these activities. I packed my stuff and left, never to return. That same range has had people rent guns and commit suicide with them in the past.

Contrast this with the private club to which I belong. A few years ago, a doctor joined. He showed up one night and seemed impaired. In fact, he dropped his firearm on the floor. The range officer (can't operate the range AT ALL without a range officer) walked over to see what the problem was and detected a strong aroma of alcohol. The doc was disarmed and sent home, and an emergency board meeting scheduled at which a vote was taken to expel the doc and refund his dues. Not too much later, the local news reported a doctor arrested for being passed out, drunk, by the side of the interstate with a loaded handgun (and no CHL) in his car. Guess who the doc was.

I've heard of robberies of patrons at ranges, but almost always OUTSIDE, and especially where CCW wasn't legal. If criminals wanted to work for a living, they'd get jobs. If they wanted DANGEROUS jobs, they'd become Airborne Rangers.

It you want to live your life 100 percent risk free stay in bed.
Range owners take a risk by opening such a business.
The riskiest part of shooting at a range is breathing in the lead dust and eating later without washing your hands.
It won't be long before there is an additional tax on indoor shooting ranges under Obama care to defray to health related risk. (real or imagined)
The range fees will go up and up to the point there will be no more ranges.
There already is a tax on indoor ranges. You ought to see what it costs to put in the air handling system for one. And it does have to meet certain specs or it won't be allowed to even open. Figure $250,000 for a 25 yard, 4 lane indoor range. And it goes up from there.

I s'pose I should have clarified... outdoor range.... I figured my reference to being 100 yards from your rifle, would have indicated an outdoor range. My mistake.

The ranges here in Arizona are all controlled ranges. The largest of which is the World famous Ben Avery Shooting Facility. I am a volunteer RSO there, and I can tell you, that the problems you all speak of as far as theft, murder and such do not happen there. There are 15 minute shooting sessions followed by cease fire periods where NOBODY is allowed to touch ANYTHING on the shooting benches, and we keep a VERY close eye on them. That is the time that everyone goes down range or stays behind a red safety line away from the bench. Now, have there been cases where DURING a live fire session I have had firearms pointed at me UNINTENTIONALLY and that person has had a quick but polite reprimand, and if necessary removal from the range and retrained on the rules. And before you ask, NO we are not allowed to carry while working the line. I know, it doesn't make sense to me. It is an Arizona State Game and Fish run Facility.
Same applies at the local county run range.

There was a member over at THR (name escapes me) that was murdered on a shooting range and had all of his firearms stolen.

There have been reports of firearms stolen at Rampart Range because they were left at the shooting bench while the shooter was down range adjusting his target.

I've never been on a range that allowed anyone forward of the firing line with an (obvious) gun.

Range rules:

1. Never go alone
2. One person adjusts targets, one person guards weapons
3. Your sidearm remains on you and loaded at all times
3a This is just a me thing but when I go to the range I carry one weapon concealed that I have no intention of training with that weapon stays in my holster unless I need it.
4. If it feels funky leave Immediately. (read The Gift Of Fear by Gavin DeBecker)

Here in the Charleston SC area we have an outdoor range in the Francis Marion National Forest. Went once, looked around, realized that I was in the middle of nowhere in the forest, and even with other people there that I was just a sitting duck waiting to be robbed or killed or both. Never went back. Situational Awareness folks---that is what it is all about. I trust my instincts and this was an easy one for me. Not sure if there have ever been any killings at the range but there have been funny goings on at times in the forest---that is enough for me to stick to my indoor range, which is A/C in summer and heated in winter.

I always carry a loaded weapon whenever I go anywhere with my firearms. I don't consider ranges any more or less important. I like to make sure they aren't misappropriated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back