Appropriate gun for my daughter

Well I did get her the Beretta 92FS. She is quite happy with the idea. I will get her into some basic pistol courses over the summer and will keep her shooting and training. I eventually hope to help her get a Concealed Carry Permit when she is of age.
One of the local gun shops actually had a Cx4 Storm in 9MM. I am playing with the idea of getting her that but they want $900.00 for it. I can get a lot of other 9mm carbines for less money. I do like the idea of her having a set of Berettas. It satisfies my O/C brain. I also like the idea of her being able to stick with 9mm until she is willing to move to a more powerful weapon.
I am currently planning to get her a Ruger 10/22 rifle for her very first long gun. I may get silly and get her the CX4 AND the Ruger just to give her that neat little 9mm raygun.
As far as the CX4 mag compatibility you can order a kit from Beretta with adapters for the different style Beretta magazines you want for the CX4. They have (reportedly) a 92FS kit and a PX4 kit so you can swap either way.

That's great! No need for a kit for the mags. If in doubt call Beretta and they will direct you. Just so you know the CX4 is easy for you to change back and forth from left handed to right and vice verse with no tool necessary. Good luck.

I gave my eldest my old Marlin .22 magnum bolt action. Not a rich guy, and she wanted a rifle and not a handgun. Interesting that this thread came up, because this morning I saw the following post from her on Facebook:

So the hubby's away for the weekend. I took Indie (the dog) outside (the door is usually unlocked while we're outside). I bolted the door once we were back in. About 10 min. later, I heard a banging noise from inside the apartment and Indie started barking. So naturally, I grab my rifle and my dog and start making a sweep of the apartment. It's okay, false alarm. I think I need to cut back on watching so many scary movies... On the one hand I feel like a moron, on the other I'm glad I have a dog and a rifle with me lol

For background, she is a 23 year old college grad and nurse, and has only been married a year. The dog in question is a border collie. My point, other than being the proud father of a smart daughter, is that it is what she is comfortable with, not what you are comfortable with.
-
*** Edited to add - This is never what I would have chosen if I was to buy her something for home protection. But as you can see, she is comfortable with it, has no problem grabbing it at a moments notice, and is willing to use it if need be. If I bought her a 12guage, I would feel better, but would she?

Badger,

The same advice I give to you with a long gun would be the same advice I'd give for a handgun. She needs to go to the local gun store and feel them out. Have her tell you what feels comfortable and what doesn't. I'd agree as a starter rifle a .22 is definitely a fun rifle to shoot. If you are thinking that line, my two favorites are the Henry and the 10/22. But as you have mentioned with her handgun, it is her call. Let her tell you what feels good and what she's comfortable with.

Wolf

PS I can also say that the .17HMR I have is every bit as fun, maybe more than the .22. No recoil and big sonic boom. :biggrin:

I agree with the Ruger 10/22. Stay away from the "micro pistols". Those are lousy beginner guns and triggers are horrible. I would suggest a Smith and Wesson M&P or a CZ 75. The grips are a lot more ergonomic. Most of my female students really like the M&P but fight to see who gets to shoot my CZ 75. If she wants something a little smaller than a full size CZ, look at the P-01 or the CZ 2075 RAMI. They are both solid, well built firearms that handle the recoil. The RAMI is about the size of a Glock 26 and is accurate at 25 yards.

96FS + Mini-14 for long gun.

The Mini is fine but you miss the whole point. An accurate carbine that shares the same magazines as the handgun. Not as long distance as the mini but very accurate to 100 yds that I know of and possibly out to 200 but will have to get back to you on that.

I am 5'3" & 100lbs soaking wet. Not only do i own the M9 (which IS the 92FS, except with half moon sights)- but its often my carry gun (i do purse carry). I have small hands and wear a size 3.75 ring. The pistol is a double stack- and it fits perfectly in my hands, and theres no struggle to handle nor pull the trigger- even in DA (uncocked). I like the heavy weight of the gun- and feel that, in addition to the length of the barrel- it helps reduce recoil. The slide action is smoother than butter!!

It makes sense that she fell in love with the gun after being introduced to it at the range. The beretta and the glock are two of the more popular general rental suggestions. Since she shot this gun, and then this gun is what she wants to stick to- sounds like she likes sticking to what she's comfortable with. So why not take her to the range, and have her shoot an AR-15? I'm not suggesting to force something on her that she specifically asked not to- but she's 16- and will change her mind/opinions often as she experiences new things.

Perhaps she might have a mindset - where- she's intimidated or put back- by the leftist media's portrayal of the AR-15. And putting one in her hand- as well as placing a 5.56 cartridge next to a 9mm cartridge- (don't forget to differentiate to her the difference between the bullet vs. the casing- so you can emphasize how small the 5.56 rds are)- can help ease some misinformation or concerns she has.

I know you stated that you want to stick to 9mm- so why not do it in style, in an AR. I just wanted to point out that the villainized AR is usually calibered in 5.56 for the crimes its handler uses it in- (in regards to the prior statements regarding a side by side of the 5.56 & 9 Luger)

On a separate note- i've always thought pink AR-15s look silly. But maybe i just have bad taste!

I'd also recommend looking at an M1 Carbine. The .30 carbine round is easy to shoot, and is not as intimidating as larger calibers. Besides, she may like the look and feel of wood.

Are you seriously suggesting a classic service rifle for a teenage girl?

Don't get me wrong. You have great taste and I licked my chops when I read your suggestion. That is an iconic rifle. But it's an acquired taste.

If my father presented me with that when I was 15-16: I would've not been very appreciative. Completely different story today though. :) I would've pried it out of his arms.

Like I said, it's a suggestion. She has an aversion to a black rifle, the warmth of the wood stock might make it more accessible to her. I have always preferred the look and feel of wood sticks over te cold impersonal, and menacing appearance of the black plastic rifles. But then I also collect WWII battle rifles. It is an acquired taste.

After seeing this thread come up again, I thought about a question that wasn't asked. What is the rifle for? I'm hoping you're not kicking her out on her 16th birthday and she needs home protection. :sarcastic:
-
I can't think of a single argument against some form of .22 unless it's that you need her to defend the home front or you can't find ammo. With the price of .22 vs any other rifle round, you can get her 2 million rounds to shoot for less that half of what a million rounds of anything else would cost.

There is that, and your reasons are very sound. She wanted a full size 9mm pistol so her preferences might have led he away from a .22 rifle. It's all moot though since the OP was in 2012.

Consider the Sig P938. The 9mm has a little more power than a .22 (although I do carry a .22 SA BUG at times). Still the 938 is the most comfortable little 9mm I've ever used (I shot Expert with the Beretta when the CG got them of course - back-in-the-day). But the Sig is fashioned after a 1911 and is so small and comfortable. With night sights as standard. My groups are always palm sized (not bad for medium-sized hands)...

Hi BadgerSix!
Congratulations on having an excited and considerate daughter. I know it's been touched on but at 16 I think the guns to look at are a Ruger 10/22, which I might add, she'll keep forever. They're is never a reason to sell your 10/22, they're just too good. If she has enough shoulder to use one, I'd also say a 20 gauge Remington 870. Now unless she has already shot one and loves it, a Beretta 92FS is a big gun if she has little hands, also think of trigger reach. My wife is 5'1" and 95lbs. She couldn't shoot a 92FS without significantly shifting her grip which would wear on the bottom knuckle of her thumb (discovered while shooting Glocks). She can manage if she wears gloves but doesn't enjoy it. You may think about a Beretta Bobcat. It's a .22LR that looks similar to a 92FS. Taurus makes a cheaper copy as well. 21 A Bobcat

- Ruger 10/22 rifle
- Rem 870 (20 gauge)
- Beretta Bobcat pistol

Thanks!

*Wow! I just noticed the date stamp on this. Oh well. Hopefully this helps someone :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back