Appropriate gun for my daughter

BadgerSix

My daughter Caragen is turning 16 in August. She wants a Beretta 92FS Italian ("I want the Italian, Daddy") for her birthday. I am quite happy to purchase this pistol and a million mags and ammunition for my daughter. My problem is I want to get her a long gun as well. She told me she does not want an AR style rifle "because she doesn't want to kill anybody". (I may want to ease her in that direction later) I would greatly appreciate any input for long guns for a petite person who is a new shooter. She is about 5'2" tall. I have looked at some 9 millimeter carbines to simplify ammunition purchases and am honestly leaning towards a lever action rifle for simplicity of use. What would you ladies (and men who have purchased long guns for ladies) recommend?

For the hand gun my advice is what ever fits her hand and she is comfortable shooting. Go to the range and rent one for her before you buy. My wife likes her M&P 9c. Now the long gun. I bought my wife a Marlin 357 lever. She loves it. It's light weight and low recoil. Remind your daughter that people kill people. Guns are but a tool. Use them wisely.

I just picked up a used Keltec sub2000 that accepts the Glock 17 magazines in 9mm. My wife and kids can easily use it and it is affordable and reliable.

My daughter chose a Ruger SP101 in .357/.38 for CCW and a S&W Airlite .22 to take hiking. She has a Remington youth model 7mm08 topped with a Leupold Varix3 for her hunting efforts. She stands 5'2" tall. Personally I like her .22 and would like to get one for myself. I'd take hers but she'd pitch a fit.
MR

A 9mm AR would be fun, and you might pique her interest if you offer to get it duracoated in a girly way like:

Link Removed

For a new shooter I'd go with a M&P 15 22. Specially if you want to transition her into a 5.56 AR later on. As to the 92FS, I've got XXL hands and the 92 fills my hand almost to overflowing. A sidearm that does not properly fit the hand is going to be very difficult to shoot properly.

Link Removed

Get her going with a the classic 10/22 from Ruger. They're inexpensive, $229 at Cabela's for the carbine right now, and they have a million accessories available. It doesn't look like the "Black Rifle that kills people" so you can get her into an inexpensive, well made rifle that is fun to shoot. Let her develop the joy of shooting and then show her how much fun those AR platforms can be.

My daughter Caragen is turning 16 in August. She wants a Beretta 92FS Italian ("I want the Italian, Daddy") for her birthday. I am quite happy to purchase this pistol and a million mags and ammunition for my daughter. My problem is I want to get her a long gun as well. She told me she does not want an AR style rifle "because she doesn't want to kill anybody". (I may want to ease her in that direction later) I would greatly appreciate any input for long guns for a petite person who is a new shooter. She is about 5'2" tall. I have looked at some 9 millimeter carbines to simplify ammunition purchases and am honestly leaning towards a lever action rifle for simplicity of use. What would you ladies (and men who have purchased long guns for ladies) recommend?

With the risk of feeding a possibe troll....(If you are not a troll I do apologize)...

1) Nobody here "wants to kill anybody". Anyone who 'wants to kill somebody' is a menace to society.
2) Nobody needs "A Million magazines with Millions of rounds".
3) A Beretta 92FS is a pretty large framed handgun for a petite 16 year old girls hands.
(Maybe a Ruger LC9 would be a much better fit?)
4) Long gun? Start her off with a good .22 rifle to learn the fundamentals of both safety & marksmanship.
5) If she's only 16, she's too young to legally be carrying a firearm.
6) If it's for "Home Defense"...Train her well, because Safety is priority #1.

~Good luck and Stay Safe~

Take her to the store and see what works for her, then try to find a rental so you can see if it really works for her. I'd honestly buy her a .22 pistol first and let her learn the basics on that then work her way up.

Sent from this... Using that...

1) Nobody here "wants to kill anybody". Anyone who 'wants to kill somebody' is a menace to society.
3) A Beretta 92FS is a pretty large framed handgun for a petite 16 year old girls hands.
4) Long gun? Start her off with a good .22 rifle to learn the fundamentals of both safety & marksmanship.
What Outlaw said including "If you are not a troll I do apologize".
Bloomberg is trying to shut down Firearms Sales on Forums so we know the Trolls are out there.

With the risk of feeding a possibe troll....(If you are not a troll I do apologize)...

~Good luck and Stay Safe~

I think what he's saying is "My daughter is showing an interest in shooting, my favorite sport, and I don't want to discourage her by not getting for her what she wants. After all she is my daughter and what father wouldn't do everything for their daughter including buying a million of anything she wants! After all she is my princess!"

The 22 long gun is a good idea. That's what I started my son out with. Easy to handle and easy to feed. My son had "his" first gun when he hit his 14th birthday when he got "his" 10/22. (My wife was standing in the background saying "Yeah... right... 'his' gun..)

A 92FS?? Hell! I have a hard time with the size of the grip of that double stacker. If her expects his little girl to handle that, she must have some pretty big paws!

I understand the "million mags" comment. I have two little girls who will learn how to handle a fire arm safely one day. Until then, for your little girl...I reccomend two things. 1. Get to a family friendly range. These family friendly ranges are a good place to get her into a intro to gun class. Some are safety classes, some are self defense but getting her there is the first step. 2. Often these are good places to try guns out. When I went to the range, my instructor let me try his little ruger revolver (LOVE), but I also liked the "mini" Glock - which I now carry. Let her pick the gun for her. She may not know what she likes or needs, so proper instruction & education is key!

Every time I clean this gun I am more impressed how well it is made. You must let her handle it. The grip is pretty large and there is a long reach to he trigger.
If you do get i for her, get her another "Italian". The Beretta CX4 Storm. Light and fun to shoot and you an get it in 9mm,.40 even .45. Get the 9mm. Best part is that the mags are interchangeable with e 92fs. Just double check that "your" CX4 is compatible with e 92fs and not the PX4 Storm handgun. Some are. With 9 mm 15gr. the CX4 has been accurate out to 100 yds. Haven't tried further.

Get her going with a the classic 10/22 from Ruger. They're inexpensive, $229 at Cabela's for the carbine right now, and they have a million accessories available. It doesn't look like the "Black Rifle that kills people" so you can get her into an inexpensive, well made rifle that is fun to shoot. Let her develop the joy of shooting and then show her how much fun those AR platforms can be.
I came across a Ruger 10/22 Takedown and I have purchased it for her brother for his 14th birthday. I will see how she likes shooting that one and then maybe get her one as well. I see one in my future as well.

Not trolling. Just hamfistedly emphasizing that I will support her in learning to shoot and developing her skills. Further information:
My daughter has decided to pursue a career as a nurse. I feel that that career can be hazardous at times so I am getting her started early with a lot of training and safety and self defense classes. I did purchase a Beretta for her with five magazines and a decent leather holster. She will start shooting it June first.
I didn't want to get her the Beretta. She shot several hundred rounds through a rental at the range and would not even touch another handgun. I have "carpenter's hands" (wide and square) and my son and I enjoy shooting my FNP 45. It a big ol' double stack 45 and I guess big hands run in my family. I did really really like the Ruger SR9 for her but she would not have it. She wanted the Beretta.
I have thought about it and I think all the suggestions for her plinking with a .22 long gun make excellent sense. I first shot a .22 at the age of 5 and I forgot how much fun that is for a first time shooter.
As far as "killing anybody" that was something somebody put in her head about the "assault rifles". I will eventually have to purge that nonsensical dislike of AR and other military style rifles from her head. I will just have to keep her safe and enjoying this pastime and ease her into the more military style weapons. (They are just too useful for home defense and a wide variety of lawful applications to let some phobia get in the way) Thank you all for your time and your careful consideration of my question.

Last edited:
Every time I clean this gun I am more impressed how well it is made. You must let her handle it. The grip is pretty large and there is a long reach to he trigger.
If you do get i for her, get her another "Italian". The Beretta CX4 Storm. Light and fun to shoot and you an get it in 9mm,.40 even .45. Get the 9mm. Best part is that the mags are interchangeable with e 92fs. Just double check that "your" CX4 is compatible with e 92fs and not the PX4 Storm handgun. Some are. With 9 mm 15gr. the CX4 has been accurate out to 100 yds. Haven't tried further.

Well I did get her the Beretta 92FS. She is quite happy with the idea. I will get her into some basic pistol courses over the summer and will keep her shooting and training. I eventually hope to help her get a Concealed Carry Permit when she is of age.
One of the local gun shops actually had a Cx4 Storm in 9MM. I am playing with the idea of getting her that but they want $900.00 for it. I can get a lot of other 9mm carbines for less money. I do like the idea of her having a set of Berettas. It satisfies my O/C brain. I also like the idea of her being able to stick with 9mm until she is willing to move to a more powerful weapon.
I am currently planning to get her a Ruger 10/22 rifle for her very first long gun. I may get silly and get her the CX4 AND the Ruger just to give her that neat little 9mm raygun.
As far as the CX4 mag compatibility you can order a kit from Beretta with adapters for the different style Beretta magazines you want for the CX4. They have (reportedly) a 92FS kit and a PX4 kit so you can swap either way.

Last edited:
I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but finally decided to register so I could share my experience with the Beretta 92FS. I bought this gun a few months ago after trying out a number of SA pistols, and I absolutely love it. I have small, almost child-like hands, and short fingers. This is not a small pistol, and the grip may be a little bigger than on some pistols, but I actually prefer a thicker, longer grip. I feel like I have more control of the gun; I hate the Glock 19 for this very reason - the grip just doesn't feel substantial enough to me. The Beretta is fun to shoot, low recoil, and very accurate. I hope your daughter enjoys it!

Simple take her to where the computer is go to GB or any other site with pictures and descriptions let her see what is out their and what she may like. Then go to your local range and call all your buddies and see if someone you know has one and let her try it out. My daughter started shooting at 3 and was winning local youth shoots at 12. She will not hunt but she sure can shoot. She has surprised my more then once with her choices she loves shooting my S&W 460. Her fav is the usp 45 she can run a plate rack wicked fast with it.. Let her choose what she wants though as getting her something she dislikes or does not want is not doing you or her any good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back