Appendix carry vs. 4 o'clock carry

TW1993

Hey everyone i just got my concealed carry license and will be getting my glock 19 soon... Ive played around w my fathers 19 before and both seem quite comfortable i just wanted some feedback on people who carry alot as to which one may be better appendix carry or 4 oclock?

I prefer the appendix carry. It just feels better with my body shape and I think that you get less printing at this position. It's also comfortable when your sitting/driving and doesn't show when you bend forward. I use an Aliengear Tuck 2.0 and love it. It comes stock with a 15 degree FBI carry but I modified it to the straight up position.

I carry a Glock 26 (and sometimes a Glock 19 or Glock 20) at 4 o'clock, but that shouldn't influence your decision at all. There are pros and cons for both. You need to try it out. In any case, a good belt and holster make the difference.

I find 4:00 more comfortable, especially when sitting. But more importantly, consider where the barrel is pointing in both positions. An accidental discharge at 4:00, you maybe loose a little of your backside. At appendix, particularly while sitting, an accidental discharge means major damage into the upper thigh, possibly hitting an artery......or worse yet, the family jewels. Just my thoughts.

I find 4:00 more comfortable, especially when sitting. But more importantly, consider where the barrel is pointing in both positions. An accidental discharge at 4:00, you maybe loose a little of your backside. At appendix, particularly while sitting, an accidental discharge means major damage into the upper thigh, possibly hitting an artery......or worse yet, the family jewels. Just my thoughts.

A good holster and proper firearm handling fixes the NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE problem. As for appendix vs. 4-o'clock carrying and having a negligent discharge, ask Tex Grebner what he thinks about how close the bullet came to his femoral artery. If the femoral artery gets hit, you can lose consciousness in about 30 seconds and die in about 3 minutes. If you shoot yourself, it still counts:

TW1993, the answer will be based on feel. I personally carry at 3 0'clock, but I carry a full size M&P. It's also the position I carry when I compete in IDPA. As for your question, Appendix position is the stronger position If you are attacked your arms, movement and hands will work best close to center of body. You can bring the gun straight up, roll the wrist for a shot from retention. If the bad guy is driving on you, having your primary weapon behind you even slightly puts your arm in a weaker position. This is true even if your blading into the threat.

At the 4 0'clock position clearing a garment may be harder as well. Practice is what you normally wear will help you decide. The appendix position is easy, grasp and lift shirt, draw weapons. The act of lifting the shirt keeps the free hand out of the way until you drive the gun our and the hand joins up. If you clawing one hand well engaging with the other, being up front is easier as well.

The comment above the a good holster is important to safe gun handling bears repeating. Personally I use a Sticky Holster 90% of the time, and a hybrid when I need a tucked in shirt. I own a CCW store and sell a range of holsters, so I have my pick. You have to find what works for you, and then you need to practice. The key to practice is that if you wear a jacket or suit or whatever, practice from the carry position wearing that. I have had too many people come to me and say this holster got great ratings, and it was ok, but my job has me sit all day and it's not comfortable, or I am lifting stuff or working construction and my gear belt gets in the way. Think of that before you choose. If you can go to a store or gun show with your gun and try on various holsters. Make sure you sit, stand, even jog through an isle. Will it work for you. The same holster that is great at appendix may not be at 4 0'clock, and the other way around.

I've personally seen a close family member shoot himself; severing his femoral artery and almost all the other blood vessels in his upper mangled leg. It took us over 4hr to get him to the hospital because we were so far out in the boonies. He never lost consciousness. (Known other people that have had similar damage and survived as well.)

I carry appendix because it's more comfortable, provides the fastest access (even while sitting & buckled up) and it affords you better retention should you ever find your self in a grappling match with a drunk MMA fighter. Like others have said, good holsters make the likelihood of a ND almost nil.

My advice would be to find somebody with an Airsoft or rubber training pistol. Then run through several different SD scenarios; especially Fof & Hth situations. Try deflecting, defending & drawing from both positions. (Don't cheat, be realistic as possible.) Then you can make a more informed decision about the best carry position for you.

-

I carry with more of a 5:00 O'clock position and with the cant of my holster, I see not major problem. If my gun should accidently fire, and considering my age, and build, I don't have a lot of butt to lose, if any.

Appendix carry of the two choices. Keeps the firearm up front and easy to deploy and defend.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

Tried several different AIWB holsters but then decided on a trigger guard type and it hit the sweet spot for me.
I tried several different lanyard lengths and found one that lets the pistol ride where wanted and also lets it float a little with my movements.
The guard is pulled off as soon as the pistol clears the belt and pointed forward away from my body.

No safety problems when re-holstering because the guard goes on before pistol is put in place.

Ken,
The key to the lanyard style trigger guard carry are three fold. 1st is the need for more frequent cleaning and care (twice a week) for semi-autos. Most people don't do that, but if you do good. carry inside the waistband that does not protect the length of the gun from both body and clothing increases the risk of the slide failing to cycle, both through being dry, (the body does an amazing job of pulling oil from the gun), and the incursion of lint into the slide. 3rd and last. Lastly having the gun directly in contact with clothing increases wear or the risk of oil and gun powered residue soiling the clothing, and causing skin rash.

Well there are a number of different very comfortable appendix carry holsters, I would list in reverse order the cover6gear, N82 Tactical Pro, The Sticky Holster.

Like so many things carry is a very personal choice, but care needs to be addressed to what impact the comfort aspect will have on performance of both the user and the weapon.
If you were suddenly thrown on your back, the appendix position is the easiest and strongest to draw from well grappling. Three O'clock work, and fits larger guns, but is less effective than appendix. Four O'clock through Six O'clock are still better for non LEO than ankle or deep concealment T-shirt.

Ken,
The key to the lanyard style trigger guard carry are three fold. 1st is the need for more frequent cleaning and care (twice a week) for semi-autos. Most people don't do that, but if you do good. carry inside the waistband that does not protect the length of the gun from both body and clothing increases the risk of the slide failing to cycle, both through being dry, (the body does an amazing job of pulling oil from the gun), and the incursion of lint into the slide. 3rd and last. Lastly having the gun directly in contact with clothing increases wear or the risk of oil and gun powered residue soiling the clothing, and causing skin rash.

Well there are a number of different very comfortable appendix carry holsters, I would list in reverse order the cover6gear, N82 Tactical Pro, The Sticky Holster.

Like so many things carry is a very personal choice, but care needs to be addressed to what impact the comfort aspect will have on performance of both the user and the weapon.
If you were suddenly thrown on your back, the appendix position is the easiest and strongest to draw from well grappling. Three O'clock work, and fits larger guns, but is less effective than appendix. Four O'clock through Six O'clock are still better for non LEO than ankle or deep concealment T-shirt.

Since I carry Glocks (19,23,26,27, 30 ) I don't find any of the above a problem for me. A very little lube is INSIDE my pistols and nothing on the outside. I just wipe down the slide once in awhile with a Silicone rag. Even when worn against the skin under a T-shirt.

Another good point about the trigger guard type is he fact that all of the above Glocks will fit the same one.

I have a MIC and an Aegis Amory which are formed Kydex along with a Vanguard 11 which is a molded material and they fit all of my Glocks the same.

I use the Lanyards on the MIC and the Aegis and well pleased with them.
Still trying to decide on the Vanguard between the Lanyard or belt loop.
The Vanguard lanyard lets the pistol float a little with body movement and is very comfortable.
The Vanguard loop doesn't let it float as much and you have to unsnap the loop, remove from belt, insert pistol in guard, insert back in belt and re-snap.

Another couple of good points for me is the fact I don't have a wear larger pants or a special gun belt to carry AIWB with the trigger guard type. Any halfway decent belt works great.

I prefer the 3:30-4:00 IWB carry with my XDm 3.8 and my XDsc. I carry both with my alien gear cloak tuck 2.0 and feel it's the best fit for me. I do however always place my gun under my left leg when driving so that it's easy to access

I have tried a lot of different IWB holsters and find for nearly all you have to dress around the gun. Larger pants , baggy shirts and special gun belts.
Not so much so for AIWB holsters and not at all for the trigger guard types.

I do however always place my gun under my left leg when driving so that it's easy to access

This seems pretty dangerous on two actions. First being you are handling your firearm a lot, increasing your chances of a negligent discharge. Second bring in a vehicle crash having a chunk of metal free to crash into you and other people in the car. Have you weighed in on those aspects?

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

I do however always place my gun under my left leg when driving so that it's easy to access

Carrying and drawing while in a vehicle has been discussed numerous times in this forum and elsewhere on the Internet. Most firearms instructors (including a bunch of well respected ones) teach to carry your gun while in a vehicle the same way you carry it while not in a vehicle. There are a number of reasons for it, but mainly to reduce the amount of unnecessary gun handling and to assure that you have the gun on you at all times and at the same carry position you train with.

A few notes:
  • If you use a vehicle-mounted holster or store the gun in the center console, there is the risk that you will leave the car without your gun, especially under stress (such as after an accident or when under time constraints).
  • If you use a vehicle-mounted holster, make sure it has active retention. Placing your gun in a vehicle-mounted holster with passive retention or just placing the gun on the passenger seat makes this gun inaccessible after an accident (see Miami shootout).
  • Placing the gun under your leg is equally insufficient. During my last accident (not at fault, car was totaled), I was literally standing on the brake, pushing my body against the seat, and lifting my butt and legs up from the seat. The impact was hard (all airbags deployed) and a gun under my leg would have slipped down (even potentially underneath the brake pedal). Imagine that you just have been in an accident, and now you have to search for your gun, before leaving the vehicle, helping victims, and calling 911.
  • Handling your gun every time you enter and leave the car is not only increasing the risk of a negligent discharge, but also increases the risk of some hoplophobe or security guard calling 911 (man with a gun) on you (such as when handling the gun in a mall/store parking lot). Note that they keyword here is handling the gun, and not openly carrying. People generally get nervous when they see someone with a gun in their hand.
To the OP: There is always the option to carry both, such as IWB at 4-o'clock and IWB at appendix. It just requires two guns and the appropriate training and practice with both.

Thank you guys a ton i hoping appendix is more comfortable... Bravo concealment dos or acer dg2 will be what i try first thank you guys again

I carry my G19 in a Remora IWB holster at 4:00, I leave my shirt out and a t shirt covers the gun with no print. If I have to dress up a little I use the tuckable version on the Remora with great results. I have no problem drawing from that position and I often forget I have it on, if I have to draw while driving or sitting I just lean to forward and left and have great access to my gun. As has been said often here a good gun belt and holster are necessary with any rig you choose to use. What ever you choose make sure it is comfortable and retains your gun well.
PhilG

I carry AIWB everyday and work in a production job, very dirty and active. As stated above when carrying that much the sidearm does get very dirty. I usually clean mine every two weeks to get the dust and lint out of the pistol and my spare magazine. Sometimes weekly depending on the project i am working on.

Howdy,

I prefer the appendix carry. It just feels better with my body shape and I think that you get less printing at this position. It's also comfortable when your sitting/driving and doesn't show when you bend forward. I use an Aliengear Tuck 2.0 and love it. It comes stock with a 15 degree FBI carry but I modified it to the straight up position.

The main problem I see with the appendix carry is the fact that you have to wear the waist band of your pants up to your arm pits so you can sit down while carrying you handgun.

I've called the appendix carry the Urkele Carry ever since Steve Urkele hit the TV.

I guess if you carried a Jennings J22 or a Baby Browning and didn't have much in your jockey shorts it would work, sorta.

I've been carrying for over 33 years and have settled with OWB @ 3:00.

Works for me and your mileage may vary.

Paul

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back