Appendix carry...do you recommend it?

shootin.targets

I'm just getting in my first gun small enough that appendix carry will be a viable option. What is your experience with carry in this location and do you recommend it?

That position works for some, don't work for others. Depends on your body and what firearm/holser you use.
I don't like it cause the barrel points right at my boy parts.

Appendix carry - NOT a fan

I am a woman so I don't worry about "boy parts," although I can definitely see how that would be a big detraction to carrying this way.

I DO worry about anything pointing towards my FEMORAL ARTERIES when I am sitting down. Therefore, for IWB carry I carry at 3-5 o'clock.

I don't like a gun in the front of my pants.
Appendix carry:
Daily+carry1.JPG

Reminds me too much of Mexican carry which is carrying in the front of your pants without a holster.

Oh Hell no! I was thinking that's what was being mentioned, but was looking for clarification. Thanks for that!

No way would I carry a firearm like that, even if it were in a holster. That's why I prefer to carry my XD's in my Blackhawk CQC with a cant. Not very likely for me to shoot myself!

There was an article about this very subject in a last months issue of a popular reloading flyer/ magazine ( think Blue ) . The writer said he would never carry a 1911 style pistol like that , or any other gun on a regular basis. Now , we all realize that writers get paid to try to sell you something. That said, I have to say that 99 % of the time that is exactly how I carry my Rock Island 1911. It offers "me" the most conceal-ability and ease of draw. In over three years I have yet to find the thumb safety knocked into the fire position. I am not trying to knock any holsters and still looking at trying ,yet another, holster that works for me. In the mean time I will just go holsterless. nh

There was an article about this very subject in a last months issue of a popular reloading flyer/ magazine ( think Blue ) . The writer said he would never carry a 1911 style pistol like that , or any other gun on a regular basis. Now , we all realize that writers get paid to try to sell you something. That said, I have to say that 99 % of the time that is exactly how I carry my Rock Island 1911. It offers "me" the most conceal-ability and ease of draw. In over three years I have yet to find the thumb safety knocked into the fire position. I am not trying to knock any holsters and still looking at trying ,yet another, holster that works for me. In the mean time I will just go holsterless. nh

And in GA that would be 100% illegal as the law says right now. I would never recommend carrying any firearm with out a holster. The holster is a multi-purpose item. It not only keeps the gun in the place that you put it with out you having to adjust it but it also keeps everything from touching the bang button. I cant remember where but an off duty cop carrying with out a holster had a negligent discharge while in a shopping mall when he went to adjust his pants. No imagine if that bullet would have struck his foot or worse a little kid walking near him what would that do for EVERYONE elses right to carry? 1000 people can do good but all it takes is one person to screw everything up. You wont knock any holsters or this or that but I will knock a holsterless carry any day any where period.

M&J , I do not live in Ga. and I am glad that I do not live near you. People that pretend to know it all only prove how little they do know.
HTML:
I can't remember
does not build a very convincing argument!Please try to be more constructive in your future posts.

M&J , I do not live in Ga. and I am glad that I do not live near you. People that pretend to know it all only prove how little they do know.
HTML:
I can't remember
does not build a very convincing argument!Please try to be more constructive in your future posts.

I never pretend to know it all and that is why I get on these forums and ask questions but I do have a memory where I can remember important issues to me and gun safety. Here you can read through the thread and it even has a link to the story. Just so you know, sometimes digging up old post and linking you to them is a little difficult and time consuming for me. But since you insist on reading it I have taken the time for you.

As you stated you are glad you do not live near me and the same goes for me and my family. I am glad to know that 1 who practices unsafe gun handeling on a regular basis is not walking through the mall or restaraunt near me or my family. You can carry like that for 20 years but all it takes is one time for the safety to get bumped or to adjust your pants and the trigger get cought on a number of possibilities and where the bullet goes only time will tell. I still stand by my original opinion and thought process and can only hope you also dont have a discharge that ends up ruining some of the rights others have. it only takes 1 bad grape to ruin the batch of wine.

M&J, there are many accidental discharges every year. In almost every case it involves a safety in the fire position and a finger on the trigger. I find your statements pure hyperbole. In my post I only mentioned what has worked for "me". Yet you insist on painting me as a careless and dangerous individual. Feel free to express yourself but you need to refrain from personal attacks! nh

M&J, there are many accidental discharges every year. In almost every case it involves a safety in the fire position and a finger on the trigger. I find your statements pure hyperbole. In my post I only mentioned what has worked for "me". Yet you insist on painting me as a careless and dangerous individual. Feel free to express yourself but you need to refrain from personal attacks! nh

And this is where we will differ one more time an accidental discharge does not happen when the safety is off or the trigger is pulled that would be classified as a negligent discharge. I am sorry if you feel I am "attacking" you but I do feel strongly about certain actions and am stating my feelings and beliefs rather right or wrong.

Personal attacks on USA CARRY? say it isn't so.

M&J, if nhcruffler wishes to carry this way, carry that way, or carry a tune, carry him over, it is his concern, not yours.
Personally, I wouldn't carry appendix style.
I value my very handsome, rugged, large, and manly man parts.

Pistol packing style is up to the individual.
How nhcruffler carries is his personal issue.

Next we are going to hear about how to part our hair.:yu:

Count me out on your discussion with M&J, please.

But, since you say that you carry without a holster because you haven't found one that you like, might I suggest the following:

Link Removed

It is called a Sleeping Dog Belt Holster, and it runs about $25 from JBP Holsters / Holsterama Home Page. It is as close to "nothing" as I have found. You might like it for IWB because it will cover the trigger/trigger guard, keep the gun securely attached to your pants with very little re-adjustment throughout the day (the clip is awesome), and it easy on/off.

I was skeptical of appendix carry until I tried it. It is safe, reasonably comfortable, conceals well for me and is by far faster from holster to deployment than any other carry arrangement. Try it before you knock it.

Here's a link from the Alabama Holster Co.; while the do offer appendix holsters, that's not the only line. I'm not hyping the product since I don't own one, just trying to add to the OP:

Link Removed

appendix carry is the BEST option IMO. great concealability, comfortable in all situations, fastest presentation of any carry position...the big thing with appendix carry is the holster, i prefer kydex for keeping it's shape, postive engagement (click) of the gun in the holster, and good retention. in regards to man parts and femoral arteries, keep your gun maintained and in a holster that covers the trigger. in regards to the "heated debate" above, i'm in the camp of "there's no such thing as an accidental discharge", it's either neglegent or it didn't go off (guns don't fire themselves). while i'm not personally a fan of holsterless carry, there's a reason there are hundreds/thousands of different kinds/types of holsters, different things work for different people...the most important thing is that whatever a person does, i hope it's safe

Appendix carry

appendix carry is the BEST option IMO. great concealability, comfortable in all situations, fastest presentation of any carry position...the big thing with appendix carry is the holster, i prefer kydex for keeping it's shape, postive engagement (click) of the gun in the holster, and good retention. in regards to man parts and femoral arteries, keep your gun maintained and in a holster that covers the trigger. in regards to the "heated debate" above, i'm in the camp of "there's no such thing as an accidental discharge", it's either neglegent or it didn't go off (guns don't fire themselves). while i'm not personally a fan of holsterless carry, there's a reason there are hundreds/thousands of different kinds/types of holsters, different things work for different people...the most important thing is that whatever a person does, i hope it's safe

All excellent points, xzeler8.

As the person who made the femoral artery comment, I have to say that your comments as well as the article found here make some very persuasive arguments for appendix position carry. Link Removed

For me and my body type, appendix position doesn't work--it is reasonably comfortable, but I seem to have a bulge where I shouldn't no matter what I do....

I was skeptical of appendix carry until I tried it. It is safe, reasonably comfortable, conceals well for me and is by far faster from holster to deployment than any other carry arrangement. Try it before you knock it.

As far as speed of deployment, do you know this for a fact? I've been extensively trained that strong side OWB is the way to go. As such, as soon as my sidearm clears the holster, the shooting end is rotated up and is now pointing at the BG and ready to go. I can start pulling the trigger immediately, if necessary. Seems to me, in appendix carry, you need to clear the holster and rotate twice (bring the barrel up where it's pointed to the side, and then rotate it to point forward) to get on the BG.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back