Anyone have plans to visit N.J. w/ a firearm ?

duke7595

Anyone who travels through or visits N.J. and takes along a firearm should re-think the firearms part.
New Jersey authorities will arrest you first regardless of the Law. You will be challenged to give cause why you have a firearm in your possession and the
penalties are very harsh. Be careful.

The guys from Gun for Hire radio have relayed this message many times. If you don't listen to their podcast, you should! Check them out at gunforhireradio.com. Its a good podcast-entertaining & informative.

The series i used to race in had New Jersey on its schedule for many years, I never made the trip.

It still has Route 66 in Illinois and I pass on that race as well.

I missed the NJ state conventional pistol matches this year but plan to shoot in NJ competitively.

The consensus so far is to keep guns (and empty magazines?) and ammunition in separate locked compartments of your vehicle. I am told that having confirmation of placement in the competition is VERY helpful. Last I am told not to stop elsewhere in the state: drive to the competition and drive home.

This information is from in state and out of state competitors. My next step is to check with the NJ State Police. I do not know if moving armed through NJ or traveling with guns to something other than a competition is a wise choice in that state, it certainly is not in my risk profile.

The guys from Gun for Hire radio have relayed this message many times. If you don't listen to their podcast, you should! Check them out at gunforhireradio.com. Its a good podcast-entertaining & informative.
This is incorrect. I train at Gun For Hire regularly, bringing my own handgun. Anthony Colandro is a great guy and the staff is extremely knowledgeable. I also shoot at NJ ranges regularly. I was stopped for speeding and checked by police while returning from GFH. I wasn't arrested because I was carrying the gun within the law. When in NJ I carry the gun disassembled with a cable lock through the frame. The gun is in a locked container, The container is locked to the hook in the trunk. The ammo is in another locked container. Ball ammo only, no hollowpoints. Once during lunch at GFH Anthony noticed I had a keychain on my range bag that was a hollowpoint bullet. He ave me a knife and sugested I cut it of. Despite being an inert round the tip was still a hollowpoint ane would be grounds for arrest. You can check with the NJ dept of law and you'll find all of this to be true. NJ does not just arbitrarily arrest anyone with a gun in their car. But you better have your FID card or out-of-state permit and follow the law.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the NJ State Police website --> Link Removed
All firearms transported into (not through) the State of New Jersey: Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances. The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console. For additional exemptions refer to Chapter 39, namely 2C:39-6g.

This is incorrect. I train at Gun For Hire regularly, bringing my own handgun. Anthony Colandro is a great guy and the staff is extremely knowledgeable. I also shoot at NJ ranges regularly. I was stopped for speeding and checked by police while returning from GFH. I wasn't arrested because I was carrying the gun within the law. When in NJ I carry the gun disassembled with a cable lock through the frame. The gun is in a locked container, The container is locked to the hook in the trunk. The ammo is in another locked container. Ball ammo only, no hollowpoints. Once during lunch at GFH Anthony noticed I had a keychain on my range bag that was a hollowpoint bullet. He ave me a knife and sugested I cut it of. Despite being an inert round the tip was still a hollowpoint ane would be grounds for arrest. You can check with the NJ dept of law and you'll find all of this to be true. NJ does not just arbitrarily arrest anyone with a gun in their car. But you better have your FID card or out-of-state permit and follow the law.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to the NJ State Police website --> Link Removed
All firearms transported into (not through) the State of New Jersey: Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances. The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console. For additional exemptions refer to Chapter 39, namely 2C:39-6g.

I agree with what your saying, including the inert hollow point round. This is the law in N.J. however, I guarantee if you come across the wrong LEO you will be arrested and challenged
in court to make your case. In all probability it may be thrown out after several thousands of dollars in attorney fees.
The burden is on you to make your case, not the other way around as it is suppose to be, remember this is N.J.

Duke
Retired LEO from the State Of New Jersey

I agree with what your saying, including the inert hollow point round. This is the law in N.J. however, I guarantee if you come across the wrong LEO you will be arrested and challenged
in court to make your case. In all probability it may be thrown out after several thousands of dollars in attorney fees.
The burden is on you to make your case, not the other way around as it is suppose to be, remember this is N.J.

Duke
Retired LEO from the State Of New Jersey
I carry a copy of NJ Ch. 39, especially 2c:39-6g preciselt for this reason. If find often police officers don't know their own state laws as they are convoluted and lengthy.

But, I would not accept the police violating their own state law lightly at all. I'm a lawsuit machine. Drop of a hat I'll rock-n-roll. While some may abhor me for this, I don't do it arbitrarily or carpiciously. Destroying a man's lifelong record of good character is a very serious matter. The arrest would be bad enough but if the DA continued to prosecute with full knowledge the law wasn't violated it would become an egregious, malicious, willful, wanton and reckless act under civil law. It changes the cause of action from one of pure misfeasance to include malfeasance and now takes on the element of intent under civil law. This means the state can be treated as if they intended to cause the harm that followed. The door is now opened for punitive damages in addition to pecuniary, compensatory and consequential damages. Give me the opoortunity to make money from you and it will be ruthless. Spending the money isn't much of a concern. To me it's an investment on a bigger payout. It's the poor sucker that gets slammed by this, not people like me. And we all must remember, this can happen to anyone, anywhere, in any state.

I carry a copy of NJ Ch. 39, especially 2c:39-6g preciselt for this reason. If find often police officers don't know their own state laws as they are convoluted and lengthy.

But, I would not accept the police violating their own state law lightly at all. I'm a lawsuit machine. Drop of a hat I'll rock-n-roll. While some may abhor me for this, I don't do it arbitrarily or carpiciously. Destroying a man's lifelong record of good character is a very serious matter. The arrest would be bad enough but if the DA continued to prosecute with full knowledge the law wasn't violated it would become an egregious, malicious, willful, wanton and reckless act under civil law. It changes the cause of action from one of pure misfeasance to include malfeasance and now takes on the element of intent under civil law. This means the state can be treated as if they intended to cause the harm that followed. The door is now opened for punitive damages in addition to pecuniary, compensatory and consequential damages. Give me the opoortunity to make money from you and it will be ruthless. Spending the money isn't much of a concern. To me it's an investment on a bigger payout. It's the poor sucker that gets slammed by this, not people like me. And we all must remember, this can happen to anyone, anywhere, in any state.

Not everyone has the tools you seem to have and I agree with you. If more people like yourself went to this level to protect their rights we wouldn't be having this conversation,
however, the majority don't and this is the problem. Good luck.

Sincerely,
Duke

I do not have first hand knowledge. My pistol instructor told the class that it is one felony for each hollow point they find that is not carried legally. I live in NY. I don't even think ever about traveling in NJ while armed.

I do not have first hand knowledge. My pistol instructor told the class that it is one felony for each hollow point they find that is not carried legally. I live in NY. I don't even think ever about traveling in NJ while armed.

your pistol instructor is not entirely correct, possession of HP rounds in NJ is not illegal the charges could only be made if the rounds were loaded in a gun and would be in addition to the illegal carrying charges.

your pistol instructor is not entirely correct, possession of HP rounds in NJ is not illegal the charges could only be made if the rounds were loaded in a gun and would be in addition to the illegal carrying charges.

Hollow points are legal in N.J. if kept in your home as self defense rounds. They are illegal if carried outside your home.

Hollow points are legal in N.J. if kept in your home as self defense rounds. They are illegal if carried outside your home.

not quite right, you can transport the hollow points, just not loaded in a gun. for example you need to get those hollow points home from the ammo store, or you need to get the JHP rounds from your home to the range.

N.J. is a charge you now, and you prove your right State in court.
I agree with you and your stance on hollow points. However, I assure you if stopped and found with hollow point rounds in your possession and the wrong LEO you will be charged.
Is it right, is it legal ? maybe. There is a vast gray area concerning weapons and the infamous HOLLOW POINT ROUND.

Why take the chance it is not worth the legal cost to prove your correct. Yes I know you can sue, however, if the LEO believes he is acting in good faith , well you know the deal.
I wouldn't under any circumstances carry hollow points on my person in my vehicle or anywhere else in this State. Here is the real kicker, I as a ret. LEO from this State can carry
a concealed weapon, but I don't dare have hollow points anywhere, this includes in the weapon on my person or in the vehicle.

Doing a living history event in NJ twenty odd years ago, we were told to remove the locks from our muskets while traveling through the state. I generally find an alternate route when travelling south now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back