Anyone else's spouse not care for firearms?

Hipdad503

My wife does not feel like a gun is a necessity in the home or out and about. She thinks if someone is breaking in, she will call the authorities and wait.. That's ridiculous to me. I hate having the feeling that my kids are in the home while I'm at work and my wife will not grab the gun from the safe and use it if she feels threatened. I've had firearms for years, even before marriage. She doesn't approve but I guess she accepts it. Thinks that I buy and carry a firearms because it's what I like and what I want to do. She used the line " we haven't needed one for years why would we need one now"
I hope I never NEED it but its there if I ever do.

Does anyone else have this same problem? Guess I'm just looking to rant a bit and maybe some persuasive feedback I can pass on to her.

Just got my LTCH and and an LCP in May. My wife was surprised, but got used to it pretty quick. With another shooting in the news, she said to me the other day that she was glad I got it.

My wife does not feel like a gun is a necessity in the home or out and about. She thinks if someone is breaking in, she will call the authorities and wait.. That's ridiculous to me. I hate having the feeling that my kids are in the home while I'm at work and my wife will not grab the gun from the safe and use it if she feels threatened. I've had firearms for years, even before marriage. She doesn't approve but I guess she accepts it. Thinks that I buy and carry a firearms because it's what I like and what I want to do. She used the line " we haven't needed one for years why would we need one now"
I hope I never NEED it but its there if I ever do.

Does anyone else have this same problem? Guess I'm just looking to rant a bit and maybe some persuasive feedback I can pass on to her.
You can't be married if you're dead. She would rather die, where does that put your marriage amung her priorities?

Mine tolerates my having a pistol and an AR. She begrudges me any expenditure on them (that I let her find out about!)

She does check up on me sometimes to ensure I'm carrying when we leave the house. Like I'd ever leave without it.

Well, I'm gonna told ya. I hope this is not "Off topic" cause you asked for wives that do not like guns but I must brag. My wife bought a Dillon 550 for me in the 1990's. She will only shoot her N, K (two K's) and J frame Smiths. She CAN shoot the Glock and Kimbers but does not care for them. She has an CAR-AR, I have the full sizes, she has an 870 Wingmaster, I have a 500 Mossberg and a side by side. Now as to other friends they have a great fear of these objects. I would not force the issue on a spouse, I would try to ease her into trying a shoot some time. Now is the time to have everyone learn to shoot and shoot well, join the NRA, JPFO, GOA and any other org.

Mine was the same way..... she thought I had lost my mind when I told her I applied for my CCP. She has gotten used to it though and quite honestly there have been two occasions that we both felt like we were in an uncomfortable situation and she asked if I had my pistol on me. Nothing ever came of it either time but still had the hair standing up on the back of our necks. In the past six months she seems to be taking more of an interest. I have taken her to the range with me several times. She liked it. Even bought her a Sig 238 for her birthday last month. She loves it and is quite good with it. In fact she said to me last night at dinner that we should have gone to the range today. Dang...I was messing with a new rifle scope and didn't even think about it. Maybe yours will come around. Only took mine 31 years.

Women (not all) are at an emotional disadvantage; their thinking comes from nurturing, mothering, and raising children. It's their genetic makeup. They feel they must sustain life, not take it away even if looking death in the eye. This is foreign and illogical to me. My wife finally caved and bought a .38 special (she has limited use of one arm and can't rack slides...any of them) and won't get her CHCL, because I have mine.

I don't believe she has the mindset to pull the trigger to save her life despite our range visits. Guns scare some emotionally crippled women. It's just the way it is, in my household. I don't know how to change her thinking, so I accept it, and she does her woman things, and I do my man things. It keeps harmony in the home.

My wife is indifferent. She can and will use a gun...but outside of that she has no interest.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

Howdy,

My wife grew up a military brat with her mom and dad both being from rural Arkansas where everybody owns a gun and everybody hunts.

Guns are just a part of our lives just like, kids, owning a car and having a job.

She has a 1972ish Parker Hale .30-06 and a S&W Model 15-3 .38 Special w/ a 4" barrel. She can keep all her rounds on an IDPA target while firing double-action at 35' and keep them in the head firing single-action.

She claims my Ruger Super RedHawk .454 Casull is "a little too manly" for her to shoot it more than a couple of times.

Paul

My wife has a similar outlook. She gets nervous when me and my boys get the handguns and AR on the table for cleaning. Even loading mags gets her antsy. She is of the mind to call the cops. Even when she knows it could take a long time for a deputy to get here, unless one is in town. Shotguns, .22 rifles are ok, but because she grew up with those around. She even encourages us to clean our shotguns before deer season, because that's what her dad and brother would do.
The idea of me getting my PTC baffles her. I sometimes think she would brand me as the bad guy if I was carrying. I don't ever want to need it of course, but then I don't ever want to have a flat tire but I carry a spare anyways.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My wife has as many handguns as I do, and carries ever time she leaves the house (assuming it is legal based on destination). We went to the Sheriff's Dept. to pick up our CHP's on the same day.

If we are going out together, she will often carry even though I am also, but not always.

Pity the stupid bad guy that thinks the people that just parked in the handicapped (based on her knees and back) spot are an easy target, because he is the target and faces two armed old folk.

I usually have my gun on my side table while at home, and if I take it when I leave to run errands (it is usually my pocket carry) she will usually fetch one of her guns while I'm gone. Both of her carry guns, bedside home defense gun, and one she keeps in her craft room downstairs are loaded and chambered.

If we could understand women we would all be better off. :smile: I do not pretend to understand them at all.

My wife does not understand why I like guns. She was against my getting a CCL but she has come around somewhat. There has been times that she was VERY happy that I was carrying.

The only advice I can give is to give her time to get used to the idea. Also take her shooting. Hopefully she will enjoy it. I keep after my wife to get her CCL. So far she has not done it but she does seem to be thawing to the idea.

I bought my wife a S&W .38 Chief's Special before I went to Vietnam. She didn't want it at first but did take it with her folks to a family outing. When a stranger started sidling up to her, she reached into her purse and stared at him until he left. He obviously got the message that she was carrying and didn't want to pursue the issue. Since that time she hasn't complained too much and has her license to carry. She will definitely let you know that the gun is HERS and for me to leave it alone. She does try to harass me because I always have my pistol beside me. She says, "You are gonna shoot your p****r off one of these days!" She doesn't complain about the .45 on the nightstand however. I guess she is getting ambivalent about guns now in her old age. Bless her little heart!

My first husband worked armed security and taught me the basics--if he was going to have guns in the house, I wanted to know how to handle them. My second husband wanted nothing to do with guns, but let me buy a small revolver. He died in 2010, I live alone, and I've been training once a year at FrontSight since 2011. The first 2 items on my list for spending his insurance money were a passport and my concealed carry permit. I take my girlfriends to the range every chance I get, and teach a dry practice gun handling course where about half my students are women. Be patient and pray that your spouse learns from other people's disasters that guns are a lifesaving tool that's good to have on hand. Some people are irrational when it comes to guns, but many are willing to let some facts in. Drop in a bit of truth here, and another bit there until they start questioning what the anti-gunners are feeding them.

I worked with some guys who's wife wouldn't let them in the house with their weapon. They had to leave it in their locker at work because Wiffy wouldn't even get in the car with the weapon in the trunk. I gave them 2 bits of advice; 1) get a good divorce lawyer, or 2) get another job. Now I know some of y'all don't like Police Officers for various reasons, but can you imagine Officers going hoe in uniform, un armed? Their supervisor gave them a choice; either wear their weapons when in uniform, or change before they leave the Hq. The chief one-upped him, directing all officers be armed 24-7 (like most agencies do). We had a few open positions after this.

I have to say I am really stunned at the number of people whose wife ranges from 'meh' to 'oh hell no'.

I've had a gun in the house since we got married 46 years ago, but it really wasn't a topic, and often not that accessible. But we didn't lock our doors or vehicles either in those days.

About 3 years ago the wife started the conversation about her getting a gun and carry permit, and the rest is history. If carrying is mentioned, it is either, 'taking your gun?' if she doesn't see me put it on when I head out. It we are going together, the conversation is merely to confirm which if not both of us is armed.

Our daughter (single mother/divorced) was immediately receptive to becoming a gun owner and got her CHP several months after we got ours.

There are a number of places she absolutely refused to go un-armed, and especially any pharmacy. The Walgreen's we use, about a mile away has had several armed robberies, and one where the strung out druggie took a female customer hostage during the robbery to get his Oxycontin.

Of our friends into guns, I would have to say that all the wives are totally aboard with carry/self-defense. Even the first gun owners, that bought his/her guns on their first purchase. Some may relay for the husband to carry, but if you ask about their home defense gun, or favorite range gun, they will provide a great deal of detail.

The wife talks it up with her friends, and while some have yet to get off the fence, everyone of them has expressed a serious interest and asked a lot of questions.

My girlfriend refuses to carry one. In fact, she says she's embarrassed to be seen with me in public when I put on my BDUs and strap on my twin widow makers to my thighs. Can you believe that?

Glock 19 GEN 3, she woun't touch it or get near by it, even if honey was brushed on it. She did however, go to the range with me and shot it once. I'm assuming the loud bangs scare the living things out of her ever since.

I went overseas for a few weeks, left the gun loaded and gave her the combination to the safe -- her response, "don't worry, I won't touch that."

Welcome to the club of gun loners!

My wife was raised a Southern, redneck kinda gal. As such, she was exposed to firearms for hunting and defense from a young age. We met in the USAF, so she was also exposed to basic military firearms tactics/training. She understands the importance of being responsibly armed and trained. We both carry when and where we can, we both understand the need to have multiple firearms strategically placed around the home and we shoot together when we get the opportunity (we both wish it was more often, though). She is not what one might consider a "gun nut", like many would label me. She is fine with our vast collection of arms, ammo and gear so long as I purchase responsibly... meaning all the other bills get paid first.

So, I can't complain. I got lucky!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back