Alabama Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the link to our Alabama Concealed Carry page.

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have something to add.

Last edited:
I've just updated the Alabama State Information and the added the Alabama State FAQ's.

A couple of points.

"Unrestricted under state law; some local regulation possible."
Local regulations are preempted by the state.
Section 11-80-11
Regulation of gun shows, etc.; authority to bring or settle certain lawsuits reserved to Attorney General.

(a) No county or municipal corporation, instrumentality, or political subdivision thereof, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, shall regulate in any manner gun shows, the possession, ownership, transport, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, licensing, registration or use of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, firearms dealers, or dealers in firearm components.

Off Limits
Public protest
Section 13A-11-59

The links at the bottom of the page are for Nebraska.

AL. Weapon Law

I thought this page would be useful for anyone seeking information on gun laws for the State Of Alabama.

Link Removed

What does...

What does "AL Res Permits Only mean? The info I got from my county Sheriff says that both Michigan and Florida both honor the permit...(not like im gointa michigan, id freeze to death)

Hey Semper Fi: I am not quite sure what you we:pleasantry:re trying to ask but Florida and Michigan do honor Alabama licenses. I cross into Florida all the time with my Alabama license. No problems.

No BUGs; no serial numbers on permits.

I have been reading and re-reading Alabama laws on carrying handguns as well as Attorney General Opinions. In a letter dated 29 October 1980, the Attorney General's Office issued an opinion to the Marshall County sheriff that an individual is limited to carrying only one gun at any one time under the provisions of Sec. 13A-11-75. It went on to say that "....at no time may a person have more than one pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person." I have seen queries on whether it is mandatory to have your weapon serial number on your permit. This same letter stated that there is no requirement under the law that any gun serial number appear on the pistol permit. The license runs to the person and not to a particular pistol. I would be curious to know if anyone on here has read any other laws or Attorney General Opinions that would enable one to carry a BUG without running afoul of the law. Better to be informed before the fact than after!:unsure:

You can open carry as many as you wish. The license usually states it's for the carry of A pistol (usually meaning one). So, just open carry one pistol and carry one concealed ( as long as you're licensed) and you are good to go. For more info, check out Alabama Open Carry.com. We have all the laws, court cases, AG opinions, etc. That prove AL is an unlicensed open carry state. The OC problem was settled by the Alabama Supreme Court in the 1840 case of State v Reid and stated that the state legislature can not inhibit the citizens from bearing arms openly. So, it would violate the State Constitution for the legislature to outlaw Open Carry in Alabama. We have legislation going up in the next session in Montgomery to change our gun laws for the better. If you are an AL citizen, we ask you to sign our petition and join with us to make these changes. Political power is shown in numbers and we need your help. It costs nothing to join. Stop by Alabama Open Carry today and check us out.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back