Age Restrictions and Vehicle carry

climbamtn11

I was recently given a brilliant Sig Saur p239 9mm from my father as a graduation present. There has been many contradicting ideas as to my rights to the handgun. The law states:
"Federal law prohibits, except in certain limited circumstances, anyone under 18 years of age from knowingly possessing a handgun..."

I'm 18. So what are my rights?
Can I carry openly in a car?
Can I have a concealed carry?
I live in Arkansas if that makes a difference.

Thanks alot!

Have you attempted to research what the Laws are in Arkansas? I would say pretty much that if you can open carry or conceal carry anywhere, then yes, you can do so in your car

As I understand it, you may possess but not purchase a handgun at the age of 18. The law about where and when and how you may carry a handgun are guided by state law. Look for a good synopsis of Arkansas gun law - there may be a book or a pamphlet available to you through gun stores there that addresses each of your questions.

Here in MO, as far as I know, the age limit is 21. Check your local state laws. MO is an open carry states but it also depends on the county you are living in. Our county doesn't allow OC.

BTW, welcome to this forum.

Last edited:
In Maine you can own but not buy a handgun at 18.
I am 18 and have my CCW, I got it a week after my 18th birthday, about a week after that my father "let's me borrow all the time" HIS new that day llama .380 as it is in his name :D

I was recently given a brilliant Sig Saur p239 9mm from my father as a graduation present. There has been many contradicting ideas as to my rights to the handgun. The law states:
"Federal law prohibits, except in certain limited circumstances, anyone under 18 years of age from knowingly possessing a handgun..."

Thanks alot!

None of the people that are responding to your posts are going to be w/ you when you have a run in w/ the police. It is incumbent upon you to find out what the law says in your state (Knowing the law in Missouri or Maine is as worthless to you as tits on a boar hog).

I'd suggest you start w/ the link seeya posted and go from there

Arkansas carry--concealed or open--for an 18 year old

Thanks alot!

I followed the links posted by SEEYA (see excerpt below), and it would appear that you are not eligible for concealed carry as you are under 21 years of age.

"TO AUTHORIZE THE ARKANSAS STATE POLICE
TO ISSUE LICENSES TO QUALIFIED
APPLICANTS TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUNS."

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF ARKANSAS:

SECTION 1. As used in this act:
(a) "Director" means the director of the Arkansas State Police.
(b) "Handgun" means any firearm with a barrel length of less than
twelve inches (12") that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one
hand.
(c) "Concealed" means to cover from observation so as to prevent public
view.

SECTION 2. (a)(1) The director is authorized to issue licenses to carry
concealed handguns to persons qualified as provided in this section. Such
licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of four (4) years
from the date of issuance. Any person possessing a valid license issued
pursuant to this section may carry a concealed handgun.
(2) The licensee must carry the license, together with valid
identification, at all times in which the licensee is carrying a concealed
handgun and must display both the license and proper identification upon
demand by a law enforcement officer.
(b) The director shall issue a license if the applicant:
(1) Is a resident of the state and has been a resident
continuously for twelve (12) months or longer immediately preceding the filing
of the application (provided this shall not apply to any retired city, county,
state or federal law enforcement officer);
(2) Is twenty-one (21) years of age or older;​

Also, it would appear that open carry is out of the question as well as per Link Removed which states "Arkansas is not a traditional open carry state. They issue a concealed carry permit, so it is our understanding at this time that open carry is not allowed even with a permit."

Given all of the above, I seriously doubt that it would be legal for you to have a loaded firearm in your vehicle within your reach. (Note: I did not research how to legally transport a gun to hunting sites or ranges for practice, nor did I research to see if AR allows you openly carry anywhere on your property--LOOK IT UP ....)

As TREO stated, YOU need to personally research the statutes (and perhaps consult some legal entities -- AND GET DOCUMENTATION TO SUPPORT YOUR POSITION) as you will be the one in trouble if LE catches you carrying illegally....

Given your current age, I would be very thorough in your research, and if you find something that allows you to CC or OC, you would probably want to carry a copy of your reference source ON YOU while out in public. Not ALL LEOs know the nitty gritty of the law, and it helps if you can reference specific legal statutes to support your position.

The Sig Sauer P239 is a beauty (concealable, reliable, accurate), and will serve you well for many years. Enjoy, and be safe.

What a great graduation gift from your Dad, take great care of it and give to your Son some day. Your Dad must be real cool.

I looked into it myself. You do have to be 21 in your state, but don't get discouraged, get use to the gun, shoot it often, research on how to conceal it find a way you like best and wait and hope for 3 years.

Missouri recently passed a bill lowering ccw age to 18. Last I heard it was sitting on the governors desk but he may have already signed it and I didnt hear about it.

Missouri recently passed a bill lowering ccw age to 18. Last I heard it was sitting on the governors desk but he may have already signed it and I didnt hear about it.
Actually the legal age of ccw here in MO is 23.The bill that is sitting in the governor's office if it hasn't been passed is 21. My son is 22 years of age last March but he got around to carrying earlier because we got him a ccw from Florida which did not really took long to get.

Care to provide the actual cite & link to this ALLEGED Federal Law?

Aren't you an ALLEGED instructor?

18 USC (United States Code) 922 (x).

Link Removed

§ 922. Unlawful acts

(x)
(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile—
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.
(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to knowingly possess—
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.
(3) This subsection does not apply to—
(A) a temporary transfer of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile or to the possession or use of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile if the handgun and ammunition are possessed and used by the juvenile—
(i) in the course of employment, in the course of ranching or farming related to activities at the residence of the juvenile (or on property used for ranching or farming at which the juvenile, with the permission of the property owner or lessee, is performing activities related to the operation of the farm or ranch), target practice, hunting, or a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;
(ii) with the prior written consent of the juvenile’s parent or guardian who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from possessing a firearm, except—
(I) during transportation by the juvenile of an unloaded handgun in a locked container directly from the place of transfer to a place at which an activity described in clause (i) is to take place and transportation by the juvenile of that handgun, unloaded and in a locked container, directly from the place at which such an activity took place to the transferor; or
(II) with respect to ranching or farming activities as described in clause (i), a juvenile may possess and use a handgun or ammunition with the prior written approval of the juvenile’s parent or legal guardian and at the direction of an adult who is not prohibited by Federal, State or local law from possessing a firearm;
(iii) the juvenile has the prior written consent in the juvenile’s possession at all times when a handgun is in the possession of the juvenile; and
(iv) in accordance with State and local law;
(B) a juvenile who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard who possesses or is armed with a handgun in the line of duty;
(C) a transfer by inheritance of title (but not possession) of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile; or
(D) the possession of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile taken in defense of the juvenile or other persons against an intruder into the residence of the juvenile or a residence in which the juvenile is an invited guest.
(4) A handgun or ammunition, the possession of which is transferred to a juvenile in circumstances in which the transferor is not in violation of this subsection shall not be subject to permanent confiscation by the Government if its possession by the juvenile subsequently becomes unlawful because of the conduct of the juvenile, but shall be returned to the lawful owner when such handgun or ammunition is no longer required by the Government for the purposes of investigation or prosecution.
(5) For purposes of this subsection, the term “juvenile” means a person who is less than 18 years of age.
(6)
(A) In a prosecution of a violation of this subsection, the court shall require the presence of a juvenile defendant’s parent or legal guardian at all proceedings.
(B) The court may use the contempt power to enforce subparagraph (A).
(C) The court may excuse attendance of a parent or legal guardian of a juvenile defendant at a proceeding in a prosecution of a violation of this subsection for good cause shown.

Here's a link to the Arkansas State police-Concealed Handgun Licensing:
Arkansas State Police | Regulatory Services
Where Concealed Handguns are Prohibited:
Arkansas State Police | Regulatory Services
KNOW ALL YOUR LAWS!!!
Make copies of pages you find with information you WILL one day need. Keep these current & in your vehicle so that if you get stopped or questioned you can let the Officer know you have studied the laws.
Read your State Constitution for information on gun laws.
Call your county Sheriff to get information, they are glad to help you stay legal.

Before I got my CCW I studied for months to learn all the laws & rules I could & there are still plenty out there I missed or have changed in the last year.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back