Accidental Discharge

Timothy2001

Has anyone ever had a Ruger LCP discharge without intending it to? Dropping it or otherwise?

Thanks very much.

Funny you asked that . Today my daughter thought to wake me up by freaking me out would be good . My lcp flew across the room into my dresser loaded . Didn't go off. I mean slammed into it

Funny you asked that . Today my daughter thought to wake me up by freaking me out would be good . My lcp flew across the room into my dresser loaded . Didn't go off. I mean slammed into it

Please tell us this didn't happen, or at least tell us that your daughter is over 18, knows how to handle a handgun and the gun was un-loaded. If any of those three basic gun handling safety requirements are missing.....then you are a moron! Even if she was over 18, knows how to handle a gun and it was un-loaded, there is some idiocy that needs to be addressed. Guns are not practical joke props.

I should have wrote that better I guess ... My lcp was on the covers next to me . She came in my room screaming at me to scare me .. The gun flew across the room into my dresser . It was loaded idk what good a unloaded firearm is . And yes she knows firearm safety

perhaps it's time just boxin to speak to your daughter about crying wolf !and discuss if a real emergency were to happen what she and the rest of the family should do and have even a plan b and c in place in case of a real home invasion and perhaps go through the drill even to instill your protection procedure, and perhaps don't sleep with a loaded gun on your bed covers but rather somewhere safe and reachable

be safe

perhaps it's time just boxin to speak to your daughter about crying wolf !and discuss if a real emergency were to happen what she and the rest of the family should do and have even a plan b and c in place in case of a real home invasion and perhaps go through the drill even to instill your protection procedure, and perhaps don't sleep with a loaded gun on your bed covers but rather somewhere safe and reachable

be safe

I completely understand . First thought was wow that didn't go off . Second thought your in trouble for screaming waking me up lol

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but this post makes me ~SMFH~.
No Bueno.

People, please don't sleep with your gun on the bed next to you. At least put it in a drawer or lock box under the bed. And get an alarm system or dog if you're that paranoid.

I should have wrote that better I guess ... My lcp was on the covers next to me . She came in my room screaming at me to scare me .. The gun flew across the room into my dresser . It was loaded idk what good a unloaded firearm is . And yes she knows firearm safety

Maybe going forward you will keep it on your nightstand or on the dresser? just a thought.

Maybe going forward you will keep it on your nightstand or on the dresser? just a thought.
dresser yes I learned my lesson . Hell it would have been better off in my pocket lmfao

sleeping with a gun in your pocket is just dangerous practice imo not to mention probably a bit uncomfortable when ya toss and turn at night
lolz
be safe justboxin

Well, I was going to suggest, at least, a bedside holster such as offered by Crossbreed. Forgive my brand name-drop: I'm a bit partial.

As to the topic-starter (accidental discharges with the LCP), I do know that Ruger issued a recall on some early models of the LCP, citing a "small number" of discharges. The guns, loaded with one in the chamber, had impact against a hard surface. Serial numbers with a 371- prefix (371-#####) are already up-to-snuff. Serial numbers with 370- prefix, on the other hand, may have some problems. More information: Ruger - LCP® Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice

That said, it's not something to risk. Keep it locked or holstered, even if that means getting another holster and drilling that to the outside of the bedside table. (There's a better name for those things, but it's still coffee o'clock on a Sunday like today.)

And for the sake of people named Peter who happen to shorten their name to a four-letter variant: Make sure your holster retains form. I'd hate to hear about a discharge from a holster folding into the trigger guard and BAM! The room downstairs now has a de facto skylight. Or worse.

sleeping with a gun in your pocket is just dangerous practice imo not to mention probably a bit uncomfortable when ya toss and turn at night
lolz
be safe justboxin

Thanks guys for the advice I know sleeping with the gun is dumb . I have a one bedroom apartment for now . I figured that by the time I jump up to get it I would be dead lol you guys have a safe and wonderful day . It's gorgeous outside be safe .

perhaps rig a bed holster up easy to get to while in bed
best wishes it is a gorgeous day out and my pineapple is ready to pick ........

This was a problem with earlier models of the LCP. I'm sure if you looked into it you could find out about which ones should have been recalled. The latest models have corrected the problem. For the record, I've dropped mine twice from about 4 1/2 feet onto a short pile carpet without discharge. The dang thing is so small it can be tough to handle.

I agree with most thoughts given in this thread, but the question was "Is the LCP safe from accidental discharge?"

IMHO, the answer is yes. The striker type firing pin does not have enough mass to fly forward on its own and the trigger spring is strong enough to prevent the trigger to cycle. I don't think I'd use any loaded firearm as a hammer driving nails, but other than that I think you're safe.

I have one of the early LCP's and it is in fact the only firearm that I own that has ever been recalled. It was recalled because some early models could experience an accidental discharge when dropped. It was fixed and promptly returned to me with an extra clip and a free hat.

Hate to admit it but I did drop mine, in an elevator, on tile floor. made a lot of noise, scared the crap out of me but no discharge

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back