A tale of two self-defense shootings….

E

ezkl2230

The self-defense shooting of 19 year old Renisha McBride in Dearborn, MI, is generating a bit of publicity in Michigan; the people responding to the article published on 11/16/13 by Guns.com about it are almost unanimous that Theodore Wafer, the shooter, broke the law. I'm interested to see what kind of response the situation gets here, but I'm going to present it a little bit differently. I have cut and pasted an edited version of my response to that article here (so if the font is screwed up, there isn't much I can do about it):

In July, 2001, a drunk, unarmed, hispanic male (he was 2 1/2 times the legal limit) banged on the doors of a home in Cedar Springs, MI, a low crime area (Crime rate in Cedar Springs, Michigan (MI): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers statistics), early in the morning. The home owner, knowing someone was outside his home, stepped out on his porch to confront the man (who was running from the police, although the homeowner did not know this), told him to leave the property, then went back into his home, got his gun, and shot him when he didn't leave. The county prosecutor said there was no evidence that the drunk intended to commit a burglary or a crime of violence, and "The tragedy is, had he [the homeowner] not gone outside to confront him, this kid probably would have simply staggered away. But there is nothing illegal about going outside your house...It is human nature to second-guess how this drunken kid might still be alive if Mr. Clarke hadn't stepped outside to confront him."

Nevertheless, despite the lack of evidence suggesting that the drunk intended to commit an act of violence, the homeowner was found to have acted in lawful self defense and was not charged.

Fast forward to Detroit.

A drunk 19 year old African-American woman (2 times the legal alcohol limit), covered in blood, bangs on the door of a home in Dearborn, a high crime area (Crime rate in Dearborn, Michigan (MI): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers statistics), in the early hours of the morning. She has been in an auto accident and is incoherent, apparently a combination of her drunken state and the injuries from her accident. All the homeowner apparently knows is that an incoherent person covered in blood is banging on his door; he takes Biden's advice and shoots through the door, hitting her in the face. As is the case in the incident listed above, the PA says there is no evidence that she intended to commit a violent act, and charges the homeowner with second degree murder, manslaughter, and a felony firearms charge. The PA observes,
“There is no duty to retreat if you’re in your own home. Someone who claims lawful self-defense, must have an honest and reasonable — not honest or reasonable — belief of imminent death or imminent great bodily harm of himself or another person, and the use of force that’s used must be necessary to prevent that imminent death or great bodily harm of himself or another person.”

Does this situation comport with the precedent that was set in the 2001 case?

Not taking sides, just throwing this out for consideration regarding the legal precedent and its applicability in this instance. Is Theodore Wafer guilty of breaking the law, or is this race-baiting run amok again? The NAACP and Rev. Al are both trying to draw comparisons to the Trayvon Martin case - again.

Indict them both.
People need to understand that using a gun in defense is a LAST RESORT. You don't answer the door and then return with a gun. you lock-in and call 911. If he enters do what you must. Mas Ayoob said it best... when you use a gun in self defense, even if you're 100% correct it will ruin your life.

Didn't the guy in Dearborn state that he didn't know the gun went off at first, that it was an accident it discharged? So a bit different, in that he 'accidentally; shot her thru the locked door.. Just don't open it.

Indict them both.
People need to understand that using a gun in defense is a LAST RESORT. You don't answer the door and then return with a gun. you lock-in and call 911. If he enters do what you must. Mas Ayoob said it best... when you use a gun in self defense, even if you're 100% correct it will ruin your life.

Kind of li... I mean, just like Zimmerman.

I support the use of a weapon to repel a home invasion, but drunks knocking on your door are no more invading your home than those missionaries that appear every now and then at your front door.

Call 911 and then prepare to defend yourself if an entry is made. That includes moving the furthest safest location away from the door to give the most amount of time and circumstances possible to avoid the need to use your weapon.

But if the invader continues to approach you, then I think presumptions have to go on the side of the resident.

The self-defense shooting of 19 year old Renisha McBride in Dearborn, MI, is generating a bit of publicity in Michigan; the people responding to the article published on 11/16/13 by Guns.com about it are almost unanimous that Theodore Wafer, the shooter, broke the law. I'm interested to see what kind of response the situation gets here, but I'm going to present it a little bit differently. I have cut and pasted an edited version of my response to that article here (so if the font is screwed up, there isn't much I can do about it):

In July, 2001, a drunk, unarmed, hispanic male (he was 2 1/2 times the legal limit) banged on the doors of a home in Cedar Springs, MI, a low crime area (Crime rate in Cedar Springs, Michigan (MI): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers statistics), early in the morning. The home owner, knowing someone was outside his home, stepped out on his porch to confront the man (who was running from the police, although the homeowner did not know this), told him to leave the property, then went back into his home, got his gun, and shot him when he didn't leave. The county prosecutor said there was no evidence that the drunk intended to commit a burglary or a crime of violence, and "The tragedy is, had he [the homeowner] not gone outside to confront him, this kid probably would have simply staggered away. But there is nothing illegal about going outside your house...It is human nature to second-guess how this drunken kid might still be alive if Mr. Clarke hadn't stepped outside to confront him."

Nevertheless, despite the lack of evidence suggesting that the drunk intended to commit an act of violence, the homeowner was found to have acted in lawful self defense and was not charged.

Fast forward to Detroit.

A drunk 19 year old African-American woman (2 times the legal alcohol limit), covered in blood, bangs on the door of a home in Dearborn, a high crime area (Crime rate in Dearborn, Michigan (MI): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers statistics), in the early hours of the morning. She has been in an auto accident and is incoherent, apparently a combination of her drunken state and the injuries from her accident. All the homeowner apparently knows is that an incoherent person covered in blood is banging on his door; he takes Biden's advice and shoots through the door, hitting her in the face. As is the case in the incident listed above, the PA says there is no evidence that she intended to commit a violent act, and charges the homeowner with second degree murder, manslaughter, and a felony firearms charge. The PA observes,
“There is no duty to retreat if you’re in your own home. Someone who claims lawful self-defense, must have an honest and reasonable — not honest or reasonable — belief of imminent death or imminent great bodily harm of himself or another person, and the use of force that’s used must be necessary to prevent that imminent death or great bodily harm of himself or another person.”

Does this situation comport with the precedent that was set in the 2001 case?

Not taking sides, just throwing this out for consideration regarding the legal precedent and its applicability in this instance. Is Theodore Wafer guilty of breaking the law, or is this race-baiting run amok again? The NAACP and Rev. Al are both trying to draw comparisons to the Trayvon Martin case - again.

Funny you should mention the Trayvon Martin case, I just read Zimmerman was in jail for threatening his girlfriend with a shotgun and beating her up, and the judge said he cannot ever handle a gun of any kind ever again, along with a $10.000 bail, one problem I see with these cases, and it is a big one (problem) is that we the public never really knows what went on at the time of the shootings we were not there all we know is what we were told, and I sure as hell don't believe all what the media says

Zimmerman and the public are being played, while "some" of us, know better than to believe what they are told without question.

Funny you should mention the Trayvon Martin case, I just read Zimmerman was in jail for threatening his girlfriend with a shotgun and beating her up, and the judge said he cannot ever handle a gun of any kind ever again, along with a $10.000 bail, one problem I see with these cases, and it is a big one (problem) is that we the public never really knows what went on at the time of the shootings we were not there all we know is what we were told, and I sure as hell don't believe all what the media says

It was a $9,000.00 bail and the restriction on weapons possession is only for the duration of his bond. If it goes to trial, which is a pretty big "if" at this point, and he is exonerated (again), his rights are restored to exactly what they were before the arrest, just as they will if the prosecutors don't pursue this case. Or if his rights are not fully restored after a trial, it will be because of some other Florida law having to do with domestic violence cases, or maybe a legal finding by the trial judge as to his mental state, but it won't be because of an order by a judge at a bond hearing.

Blues

Indict them both.

That's what I thought. If neither suspect was trying to break into the dwelling where was the fear of harm?

I believe, with the facts as presented, that both shooters were wrong. Someone outside your home does not present an immediate threat. Call 911 and be prepared if the door is breach. These are two examples of why people need more training. Pulling a weapon is the last resort not the first response. Even when you are in the right and have to take a life, that decision will alter your life and most times not in a good way.

Never understood the concept of going into the dark night to look for zombies, door locked, call police, if you are at my door you walked pass the no trespassing signs clearly posted, anyone breaking or kicking my door in day or night or attempting to harm me or my family assume all civil and criminal liability for their actions (Also posted). Peace, Love, Colt 45.

That Massad Ayoob video shows it perfectly. The gun owners were irresponsible, you don't shoot first, ask questions later. I'm not saying having the firearm ready is a bad idea, just don't use it first.

Just guessing here but the 1st case occurred back in 2001 and the current case happened in 2013. So maybe the laws were different back in 2001 than they are currently.
The homeowner who shot the female in the face through the front door was charged and I hope he gets to spend some time in jail. I bet ten bucks that homeowner knew he screwed up when he opened the front door and saw the female shot in the face. The only thing he could say at that point was my gun when off accidentally and this is what we call negligent homicide or maybe manslaughter. Either way this homeowner is a complete idiot.
I am surprised the case in 2001 that the homeowner was not charged but like I said, the laws may of been different back than.

Indict them both.

"If he enters" are the operative words. Castle Doctrine speaks for itself. You enter my home or my car forcibly (at least in SC) all bets are off as to what I can and will do legally, civilly, morally and any other way you want to define or describe it.

Both cases involve people who were not in danger of serious bodily injury nor in danger of being killed. In conjunction, neither homeowner had reason to believe the other was trying to break in. Yet, in both situations they shot and killed the other person.

I'm not sure why one got convicted and the other didn't. They should both rot in jail.

Of course, the above opinion is based entirely on the short paragraph blurb provided.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back