A Police Offer Told me this

You guys told me in a previous post that I won't get a CCW permit (in California) because it's nearly impossible.
So you suggested an "open-carry"..

Well, yesterday an officer told me this..

"Sure, you can open-carry but you'll attract more attention to yourself.
You have the right to discharge your firearm if someone broke-in or is attempting to break into your residence.
If you discharge your firearm outdoors even in a defensive situation, I'd still have to investigate the shoot.
About 60% of the time the person open-carrying is arrested also."

WTF...is there ANY way to defend myself without being arrested then??
Hey Dude, go the corner ink place, get some groovy tats. Join a gang. The beat in will hurt some, but it's worth it.
You can carry loaded guns if you are a gang member. However, you have to hold your gun sideways. It looks really cool.
Later.
For real? Move out of Kalifornia. What a mess. The libtards have F'd it all up.

Not looking to start an online fight here but your posts sure do reflect the attitude of a 27 yr old.

and why is that? because ive been to the place hes talking about and never had a problem with anyone there?

that should be a good thing. dont ya think?

guess it makes 27 because i really am 27....

and why is that? because ive been to the place hes talking about and never had a problem with anyone there?

that should be a good thing. dont ya think?

guess it makes 27 because i really am 27....

Do you think I came up with the age 27 by accident? OK I am "clairvoyant"!
No:no: Seriously. Why do you think they call firearms an equalizer?
No I can "been there done that" but that might be bragging or lying.
It is great you can defend yourself without using a weapon. That means you can actually be a real pacifist. (only people that can kick some ass really qualify as a pacifist, others are just full of chicken!) Trust me, when you get older the better you were! Agreed it's nice to not have to depend on any one method of self defense. That's why there are many techniques with different applications to achieve that same end.
You seeing a trend here? I'll shorten it... for a lot of us it's just time to take the easier expedient course when justified. Maybe wisdom, which comes with experience is in your future but for now no matter how good you think you are there is always one out there better then you!:pleasantry:

Election Time

In the next election in California pull the lever on every incubant in the state. Vote all of them out. Politians are like diapers you have to change them regularly.

i got this off of this site on the info by state then clicked cali.

Open Carry:
Prohibited in any incorporated area; carry in rutal areas is legitimate.

just sayin. im sure many of you are right about the open carry in cali, but i was born and raised there and i never saw a single person carrying in the open. if you do just be prepaired to talk to the cops often, thats all im sayin.

I grew up in SoCal and went on to be a real live LEO there too! Fact is, I really would like to return there if it were at all feasible. Now that I’ve lived in Arizona for soOoo many years, I can’t reasonably or intentionally accept a lower level of freedom.

ya u would never catch me around there, nothing but bangers and drugs, no need for me to even go around it

I lived in the Los Angeles area for 8 years. Not one time did I ever get into a situation that I thought there was no way out. If your in the wrong area you will find trouble and you won't be able to carry enough guns to get you out of there.

I lived in Long Beach (Snoop Dogs Hood), Woodland Hills, Marina Del Rey and miss those areas very much.

Jason

It's California. What can we say ? LOL. Actually, around here police would take more notice of you as well, but I don't think you would be arrested for it.

Kris, I wish you the best in whatever you decide. I too was born and raised in CA (SF Penninsula) and lived there until I was about 30. I loved the close proximity to oceans, mtns, etc., but the politics and cost of living finally drove me away. :hang3: I have been living in Colorado for over 15 years now and I love it. CO is a shall issue state for CCW, you can open carry if you want, in all but a few places, and it is a nice conservative place. Come see what a nice state CO is and you just might decide to stay! :pleasantry:

Link Removed

Interesting discussion. Open carry is not just limited to California, nor is it likely to draw attention or get you arrested only in California. Attached is an article that ran just yesterday in CT, centering on the arrest and aftermath of a licenced CCW and pistol instructor and security consultant.

I personally don't carry openly, even at home. The perceived tactical advantage of having the firearm at the ready but concealed seems too great to give up voluntarily. However, CT law does permit open carry. Several of the officers interviewed for this article actually believed that lawful carry could still open you to charges of threatening, brandishing, disturbing the peace, and other misc crimes. Actually, each of those crimes would take an additional action of the armed party - simply carrying openly could not possibly justify any of those other charges.

But tell that to this firearms instructor and security consultant who lost his CCW and fought for 2 years to get it back. Unfortunately the "pussification" of americans continues...

You guys told me in a previous post that I won't get a CCW permit (in California) because it's nearly impossible.
So you suggested an "open-carry"..

Well, yesterday an officer told me this..

"Sure, you can open-carry but you'll attract more attention to yourself.
You have the right to discharge your firearm if someone broke-in or is attempting to break into your residence.
If you discharge your firearm outdoors even in a defensive situation, I'd still have to investigate the shoot.
About 60% of the time the person open-carrying is arrested also."

I've had discussions with officers to this degree as well. My response usually goes something like, "No disrespect officer, but if I ever have to shoot defensively and you arrested me simply based on the shoot without any probable cause of a crime, I would have one hell of a lawsuit on my hands and you would likely lose your qualified immunity from personal lawsuits."

That usually ends the "you shouldn't do that" lecture.

Besides, if you are in a situation where you need to shoot defensively, it means your life is in imminent danger. Even if it somehow is a crime to shoot your attacker, it's still better to have a limited jail sentence than a permanent address in a cemetery.

rayven;

You may try reading this. It may change your opinion about arrest and self defense. What is written here is not State specific.
Link Removed

A criminal defense lawyer, who has been involved in defensive shootings has indicated that even a justified shooting will cost you about $20,000 to prove that it was justified self defense (At least in the State of Oregon). A couple of states this would not apply to. I dont believe Pen is one of them.

In the spirit of the OP title: I had a LEO tell my wife that it was illegal to carry a handgun in her car with out a CHL.. I guess this particular LEO hasn't heard of the several laws in Texas that allow this to happen. I am tempted to contact the department that the officer works for and suggest a required remedial class on laws regarding having a handgun by law abiding citizens.

Before the cautions start flying in.. I would be polite and no I do not live in the town or county in question

I would also require them to pull his ability to carry, until he demonstrates that he knows ALL of the guns laws in the State. He obviously wants to make up and enforce his OWN carry laws. This clown has no business being a Police Officer.

That officer is going to run upon someone that doesn't like police that try to run the area like it's a police state, with no regard to laws on the books. That's when the officer is going to get shot. We sent over a million men to stop that kind of thing in Germany and Japan. If that officer runs into one of those that served there, he/she is a dead man/woman if he/she tries to enforce a bogus law on one of those veterans.

rayven;

You may try reading this. It may change your opinion about arrest and self defense. What is written here is not State specific.
Link Removed

A criminal defense lawyer, who has been involved in defensive shootings has indicated that even a justified shooting will cost you about $20,000 to prove that it was justified self defense (At least in the State of Oregon). A couple of states this would not apply to. I dont believe Pen is one of them.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

That varies a LOT from State to State. In some states, you MUST retreat, if at all possible. If it can be proven that you didn't, you appear to be a cowboy that was just waiting for an opportunity to shot someone. Then you'll be prosecuted. I don't like theses articles being posted, because they instill fear in lawful citizens that carry lawfully, and give them a false fear that could make them hesitate at the moment they need to be firing that weapon, and thus get them killed.

Everyone carrying a gun with a CWP already knows there are legal implications to carrying and using deadly force. They have evaluated that BEFORE they started carrying, or should have done so.

Another thing I don't like about these articles is the so-called "authority" of them. I have seen articles that are flat wrong. Many articles take decisions out of context and apply them as generalities. I think this article did that. For instance, it stated upfront that the info in the article is generally accepted in most states. Well, it ISN'T, AT ALL! In S.C., for instance, there is no requirement to retreat when faced with imminent danger. You will not, and can not be prosecuted civilly either, if it happens in your home or car. Thank goodness for that law, because the time it takes for you to look for an escape route could vary well be the time it takes your attacker to be on top of you, and kill or maim you.

lol, well guess I can conceal carry until I see an officer then take the clip out and open carry.
jk..

but either way, conceal or open, i'm GOING to defend myself.:neo:

When did they start letting the police carry guns in California? I never go there, think they would arrest you even if you had a CA permit. :sarcastic::sarcastic:

When did they start letting the police carry guns in California?
Not only do the police carry guns; they are allowed to carry UNSAFE guns!
I never go there, think they would arrest you even if you had a CA permit. :sarcastic::sarcastic:
Some locales, most notably San Francisco, have tried to ignore CCW from other jurisdictions (and make their own laws contravening CA state law); they get their hands slapped regularly but keep doing so anyway.

Some locales, most notably San Francisco, have tried to ignore CCW from other jurisdictions (and make their own laws contravening CA state law); they get their hands slapped regularly but keep doing so anyway.

Same in Maine. I love it when I drve across a town line and see a sign that says "town] has restrictive firearm ordinance." They, of course, don't tell you what the ordinance is. In Portland, it doesn't matter whether you have a permit or that open carry is legal. They will hassle you anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back