A Glimpse Into The Afterlife

Most people assume that as long as they don’t mess things up in their time here on earth, they’ll go to heaven when they die. But Scripture says the opposite. God created us for heaven, but the rebellion of the human race, in which we are all participating, has destined us for hell.

Hell, not heaven, is our default destination.

Absolutely. Hell is full of nice people that did not follow the Lords teachings. I'm sure that there are many that believe that if they say they are not into religion, or are atheist or agnostic, or think that if they stay out of the debate on religion they will be able to slide through. Then there are the people that believe that when you die, you are buried and rot and become worm feed. But what about your sole? If this be so, then what is you purpose in life, what is the goal? Even a tree has a purpose, and I can assure you it's not just to stand there for a hundred years and then fall over.
If you don't think God is in control of your life, he cares about you, whether you admit it or not, just take this test. Hold you breath. If a loving God is in control, he will make you continue to breath His life giving breath. If He is not in control and you are, you will prove God and I wrong and prove yourself right. If you prove God and I wrong, you will die and find out the "truth of the ages". Any takers? This test usually makes believers of most.

Hold you breath. If a loving God is in control, he will make you continue to breath His life giving breath.
An astounding level if ignorance is demonstrated in these couple of sentences... stunning!

Nope, normal biological functions will make you continue to breath. All air breathing animals bodies will create a strong drive to breath when the O2 level in the blood drops. And science fully understand this.

The Hell You Say. . .

"And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched. . " (Mark 9:43)

The other day I was chatting with an old friend and somehow we got around to the topic of the afterlife. My friend isn't a Christian, but is well aware that I am.

I used to Bible-thump him, but that only hardened his resolve - he was determined to hold out for the sake of holding out.

I planted the seed, but instead of letting the Holy Spirit water it, I kept replanting it, going over the same ground so many times that I scraped right down to the bedrock.

It isn't that my friend doesn't believe - I think that he does. But he isn't saved. He doesn't want to be.

"Heaven sounds too boring," he says. "Besides, all my friends will be in hell."

He's both right and he's wrong. He's right about all his friends. I've known this guy since the '70s and I knew most of the same people.

And sometimes, I admit that heaven does sound a wee bit boring. Don't look at me like that. It does. An eternity of no strife, no conflict, no pain, no sorrow, no tears . . . all that is wonderful and all, but if I had to eat chocolate cake for dinner every night for the rest of my life, I'd skip a lot of dinners.

It's pretty hard to sell heaven to a lost sinner. How in the heck do you explain what even the Bible says is beyond imagination?

"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him." (1 Corinthians 2:9)

To my friend, that is the deal-breaker. He can't imagine heaven being any fun, but (unfortunately for him) he has no problem imagining hell as being far more interesting than heaven.

We used to start into these discussions and get about half-way into them before things would shift from a conversation between friends to a debate between competitors, each defending his own position, parry and thrust, block and counter-strike, until exasperated, we'd agree not to ever bring it up again.

Until the next time. My friend likes the debate (when he is in the mood) and often tries to restart it when he thinks he has some killer new argument. He'll ask a question, but it's clear he doesn't want to learn from the answer - he is just looking for a springboard issue.

When I think about it, my friend is not unique - I know several guys that find the battle more interesting than the topic under discussion, and others with whom I've agreed to disagree agreeably. Some are just flat hostile to the entire topic.

What does one do with a life-long friend who just flatly refuses to either believe or discuss it? It sounds like an easy question with an equally simple answer. At least, theoretically.

Some would answer in favor of immediate separation from that person, for "what concord hath Christ with Belial?" But Paul is talking about being "unequally yoked" - it can't mean "only associate with believers" or who would we share the Gospel with?

According to the Bible, Jesus had a reputation around town as a "winebibber" and a "glutton" that hung around with all the 'wrong' people. Mainly, publicans (Gk telones = "tax collector) and sinners.

"And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." (Luke 5:31)

The Apostle Paul confronted a situation in which a wife was a believer married to an unbelieving husband.

"For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?" (1 Corinthians 7:16)

Granted, one's spouse is a different case than a fishing buddy. But God puts people in our sphere of influence for a reason.

"But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches. (1 Corinthians 7:17)

Assessment:

"And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mark 9:45-46)

You're probably wondering why I repeated myself by opening the assessment with the same verses about hell. Look again. They are two different verses. The next sequence is as follows:

"And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mark 9:48-49)

Three times in succession, the Lord tells us there is a place called "hell" -- a place where "their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched".

Hell isn't going to be 'interesting'. And my friend isn't going to find his buddies, even if they are there. Elsewhere in Scripture, Jesus tells the story of Lazarus and the rich man. It isn't a parable.

When the Lord taught in parables, He clearly identified them as such.

In this case, Jesus began, "there was a certain rich man" - a specific rich man of Whom the Lord claimed knowledge - and "a certain beggar named Lazarus."

The Lord described the deaths of both men, whose bodies were both buried in the earth but whose consciousness continued, unbroken, into Paradise, where each had some form of spirit body recognizable by the other. Abraham also had a form of spirit body the rich man could recognize.

Finally, the rich man's spirit body was real enough to feel pain. We learn all that from just one verse:

"And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.(Luke 16:23)

So according to Jesus Christ, hell is real, the torments are real, and spirit bodies are tangible to be recognized from a distance and to feel pain while "their worm dieth not from "the fire that is not quenched."

"Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment." (Luke 16:27-28)

The rich man, while in hell and in torments, remembered his father's house, so his memories of his life on earth are intact. He not only remembered his brothers, but he was terrified at the prospect that they would end up there because "that's where all their friends went".

We cannot imagine Heaven and what little we can imagine is no doubt wildly out of synch with what it will actually look like.

Streets of gold with a tree standing in the middle with living water running through the middle of a garden, mansions, a giant apartment building with twenty-four doors, peace, joy, no more death, no tears, no sorrow . . . a man blind from birth would have an easier time describing the color red.

But hell - that's a whole different story. Throughout history, man's vision of hell has been clear enough to inspire generations of painters and poets like Dante. There is far more secular literature on the subject of hell than there is of heaven.

My friend's other objection to hell is that, "If God was such a loving God, He would never send anybody to hell."

That is a valid objection and one that I completely agree with.

Hell wasn't created for sinners. It was created for Satan and the rebellious angels that followed him - when they were kicked out of heaven, they made their abode in hell.

Man is created in God's image -- as an eternal being. When the body dies, the eternal component lives on - somewhere - and the choices are limited to one of two possible places.

One choice is heaven, which is attained by recognizing oneself as an undeserving sinner that God loved so much that He stepped into time and space as a man, lived the sinless life God's justice demands, and paid the penalty due for sin on behalf of sinful humanity.

To accept the pardon extended, one must repent of one's sins and trust Jesus to keep them and preserve them whole into the next life.

Or they can choose to stand before the Judge the way they are, like my friend, who would rather take his chances in hell. But it is the individual that chooses - not God.

God's choice was to die -- so we wouldn't have to.

- Jack Kinsella -

AFTER THE RAPTURE:

There Will Be Strong Delusion
I imagine that on the Sunday immediately following the rapture, every church on earth will be filled to overflowing. Suddenly, all those left behind will discover a need to renew their faith.

Unfortunately, the revival is going to be very short-lived. The Apostle Paul, in the Book of Thessalonians, predicts that because most men’s hearts will still love unholy living, they will follow after a deception that God Himself will send. Jesus foretold that the false prophets would arise using “great signs and wonders” to trick people into believing satanic lies.

There will be no middle ground. The people who failed to fully dedicate their lives to Christ will be totally ensnared by the demonic delusion that will sweep over the world.

“And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness”
(2 Thes 2:10-12).

“For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if [it were] possible, they shall deceive the very elect”
(Mat 24:24).

During the next few years, a world leader–whom the Bible calls the Antichrist–will arise. At first, he will seem like the most benevolent leader who has ever held office. However, by the end of the tribulation, he will easily put the likes of Hitler and Stalin to shame. Because the lies of the Antichrist and false prophets will be so pervasive, you will need to assume that everything you read and hear in the mass media is tainted doctrine. Your only source for the truth must now exclusively come from the Bible.

You would be wise to pray to your creator, God.

The Apostle Paul identified himself as "The chief of sinners" and you claim to be righteous? The Bible says there is none righteous. No not one.

IDK if I wanted to know how to be saved would I be better off going to the Bible or asking you?

You would be wise to pray to your creator, God. You could ask him to lead guide and direct you, be sincere and talk with him as you would your earthly father.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back