A couple of questions...

TAC

A couple of questions...

I have not hunted in many years and am thinking of getting back into it. Before I determine what rifle to get, I wanted to get an idea of what ranges I need to consider. I am thinking mostly Deer and maybe Elk.

1. When somebody refers to 'shorter ranges” for a .308 or .30-06 rifle, what are they talking about? Is this generally considered to be less than 100 yards? Less than 200 yards? I have seen the reference several times, both on-line and in reviews, but have never seen any explanation as to what most people consider this to be. How about mid- or long-range?

2. What is generally considered to be the average range for most North American hunting? I know that mountain and woods hunting will have shorter ranges than planes hunts, but even for planes hunts what is an average range to be shooting? How often do shots really actually exceed 300 yards?

Thanks.

Ranges

I typically think 100 and less is short range, 100-300 is mid range and 300 plus is long range. I have taken deer out to 300-350 yards but the conditions would have to be just right for me to attempt that shot. In MO where I hunt I sit over a field that is 350 yards end to end. Down here in TX I hunt in woods where I might be able to shoot out to 75 yards.

The vast majority of deer that I have killed have been in the 150 yards or less range. Most people you talk to will tell you that the majority of hunters take their deer at 100 yards or less. I like the .25-06 for its flat shooting and has more than enough stopping power for a whitetail. The .30-06 would be nice for knock down power on an elk. Most important as your probably know is being comfortable with your rifle and knowing where it shoots. Shot placement is the most important element.

This is all just my opinion and you could get 10 different answers from 10 different people. So there is my 2 cents.

I typically think 100 and less is short range, 100-300 is mid range and 300 plus is long range. I have taken deer out to 300-350 yards but the conditions would have to be just right for me to attempt that shot. In MO where I hunt I sit over a field that is 350 yards end to end. Down here in TX I hunt in woods where I might be able to shoot out to 75 yards.

The vast majority of deer that I have killed have been in the 150 yards or less range. Most people you talk to will tell you that the majority of hunters take their deer at 100 yards or less. I like the .25-06 for its flat shooting and has more than enough stopping power for a whitetail. The .30-06 would be nice for knock down power on an elk. Most important as your probably know is being comfortable with your rifle and knowing where it shoots. Shot placement is the most important element.

This is all just my opinion and you could get 10 different answers from 10 different people. So there is my 2 cents.

Texas is right with the ranges according to me as well. Where I hunt I never have more than a 75 yard shot end to end. My options for caliber are below for what I have

For whitetail and small game I use: .270, .30-06, .30-30, 12ga

Larger game: .308, 7mm Mag, .300 weathery mag

Honestly, shot placement is key as Texas stated. I am much better with my .270 than anything else so that is my primary choice. I know how I am with that rifle and I am never more than an inch or two off center at 100 yards (I am not the best shot I will admit). While this is not good for competitions, it’s perfectly fine for hunting. If you are looking for an all-around versatile hunting round, can't go wrong with a .30-06 (most common hunting round) or a 7mm, you could hunt pretty much anything in North America with that in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

-Capo-

You have to always limit your shots to what YOU can do, not your rifle. Rifles can almost always shoot better than the shooter can hold. There is no reason (in my eyes) to take a shot at over 200 yards on un-wounded game. If you want to take long shots thats your choice. Most big game calibers have the power to kill deer at over 1000 yards. I have shot in many competitions at 600 to 1000 yards. But targets never take a step just when you pull the trigger. When you knock a steel animal down at 500 meteres with a gut shot it still counts has a hit. We all have heard of hunters shooting game at extreme ranges, so it can certainly be done. No one ever wants to talk about the animals they hit that they couldn't find. Or found after the meat was bad. Hunting is all about choices. And only you can make the choice that is right for you. ( I have hunted in many states,just so you know). There really is no wrong choice, everyone is different. Have fun and good luck.

Ultra-Long Range Rifles

Link Removed

Link Removed

Here's some good reading. I shoot a Weatherby 300 Mag. and wish I'd gone with a 30/06 or 308. I'm spending three bucks a shot and I can get either of the other loads for a buck a shot or better on sale. And my shoulder hurts.

Capo: I'm curious. Why do you rate the .308 for greater range than the 30-06?
They have nearly identical ballistics. If anything, I consider the 30-06 to have a slight edge over the .308.

Capo: I'm curious. Why do you rate the .308 for greater range than the 30-06?
They have nearly identical ballistics. If anything, I consider the 30-06 to have a slight edge over the .308.

From the charts I have, the 30/06 comes out of the hole faster, but the 308 maintains higher velocity after 200 yards, and when I hold them both in my hand I have to scratch my head at that.

Since they are so close, when I finally decided which to choose on my next purchase was;

1. Availability.

2. Price.

3. How much ammo can I carry.

4. Weapons platforms utilizing each.

5. Recoil.

and I have to choose the 308.

30.06 has around 1500 foot pounds of energy at 300 yards, and over 1000 at 500 yards. It's an effective round at moderately long range, and can be purchased virtually anywhere at the lowest prices of all hunting calibers.

Here I don't think I'll ever need to shoot more than about 50 yards, but still love my 30.06.

I would also have to agree with the others that you can not go wrong with a .30-06. I hunt elk and mule deer here in CO with mine and I practice alot. I like to practice at ranges up to and including 500 yards, because I never know when I am going to see an elk that I just can't get closer to on the last day of the season and I want to be able to put that bullet where it belongs. NOte that I have done ALOT of shooting at range up to 500 meters in the military and since. I am very confident in my rifle and my ability to perform when needed, and I will only take a long shot if all of the conditions are right and I have a very steady rest, preferrably prone postion for anything over 400 yards. As stated above most rifles will outshoot their shooter, so it comes down to practice and knowing your own ability and not exceeding that ability.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Semper Fi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back