.45auto Defensive Ammo vs WWB ($ vs $$$)

k9ontheway

Improvise-Adapt-Overcome
A very simple question with a complicated answer. Your thoughts?

Would you feel comfortable carrying WWB JHPs (due to low price) instead of spending 2 to 3 times as much on "defensive ammo"? The cost of ammo (and thus, training) is forever climbing, is this a comprise you are willing to take (given your chosen ammo "goes bang" every time)?

ANY thoughts, anecdotes, reports, etc are more than welcome!

Would you feel comfortable carrying WWB JHPs (due to low price) instead of spending 2 to 3 times as much on "defensive ammo"? The cost of ammo (and thus, training) is forever climbing, is this a comprise you are willing to take (given your chosen ammo "goes bang" every time)?

No problem here as long as they're all 230 grain.

I would choose the bonded core for better performance but if WWB is what you got anything is better than nothing!

The bonded core is the first thing (other than reliability) that came to my mind. Good call there. Thank you for your input, sir.

In .45 ACP my answer is yes, I would feel comfortable with WWB JHP.
Why?
First, since I carry for personal defense, I am not concerned with barrier penetration, so while bonded is nice, it is not a requirement for me.

Second, as they say, if is doesn’t expand, you can be sure that it will never shrink. You will still get a .45 hole at worst.

Third, I have never had a problem with it. It works well in bnoth of my 1911s and it has never failed to go bang.

Obviously, I prefer to go with something better (Ranger, HST or Gold Dot preferred), but I do keep some of this on hand in case I cannot find or afford what I want. No, it is not premium, but it is reliable and performs adequately in most cases not involving barrier penetration. I understand that it can be “iffy” when barrier penetration is involved, but as I already mentioned this is not a concern of mine when I think self-defense.

I carry bonded 230GR PDX1 ammo and practice with 230GR Remington cheapo's from wally world. Point of impact and velocity are close enough, But I feel much better with a bonded core. I have seen jacketed rounds fail in waterjugs, wet phone books and NOX gelatin. By fail I mean jacket core separation and reduced wound cavity and penetration due to disintegration. Besides, I really like the nickel silver cases for feed reliability and corrosion resistance.
I would carry
A premium bonded core bullet
over
A jacketed hollow point
over
A full metal jacket
over
A all lead un-jacketed bullet

That is the order of precedence of effectiveness in general terms for self defense rounds.

I have my EDC gun loaded with Win Ranger, Hornady FTX, and other JHP rounds but for backup reloads there is a box of 20 FMJ handy. RMJ has been used by the military for 100+ years in 1911s and in some cases, is better than a JHP in getting a job done.

45 FMJ has a proven track record, I would feel well armed with it, do let anyone tell you different.
We caught up with the latest, something new has to be better. That is good for news print and after you have read it you can wrap your garbage in it.

Awesome replies so far. Thanks a lot to everyone.

I've been thinking about switching solely to WWB 230gr JHP for EDC *and* training due to a very restricted budget. I'm carrying Hornady TAP FPD's at the moment and having to toss a round due to bullet setback (from near daily switching from WWB back to Hornady and back again for training) almost makes me feel guilty for carrying them.

IMO, for self defense, WWB has gone bang over 2,000 times in practice without a single malfunction in my Glock 21. That said, I feel rather confident with it for EDC but having outside opinions is always great.

Mainly...

1) It suits my budget very nicely
2) I like to train with what I actually carry and "Premium" brass is just too dang expensive to suit that purpose. Not to mention I'd have zero need to change up my ammo daily.

I was trying to figure out if it was mostly* marketing hype that I could ignore and I think I'm starting to see that premium ammo isn't a requirement for what I might need it for.

*but not completely, for they DO serve a valid purpose in certain applications

Again, thank you for the replies. If anyone else has something to add, go for it. :)

...to toss a round due to bullet setback (from near daily switching from WWB back to Hornady and back again for training) almost makes me feel guilty for carrying them..

Now, I'm assuming it's a box of 20, it's a 1911 and you have two 8rd magazines, so that should leave 3 in the box.. regardless. What I do to lessen setback anytime I have to clear my weapon is rotate stock. If you administrative load (and you should), you'd have 8+1. Take the one that's in the pipe and switch it out with either one that's in the box or one that's in the 2nd magazine, so you'd effectively have all "fresh" rounds in your loaded magazine. Somehow remember which one you had chambered last, and separate it from the rest of the pack as you continue to rotate. After each one has been through twice or you've had for 4-6 months, I'd shoot off and get new ammo just to be safe.

To answer your original question, I would have no problem carrying any ammo that works as close to 100% as possible in my weapon and I've trained with extensively. I currently carry 180gr FMJ ammo (40S&W), and will do so until I finish saving up for my progressive reloader since I refuse to load pistol ammo on a single stage - just too much damned work.

Carry what you feel comfortable with, ultimately if the worst happens it's going to be you explaining why you chose what you carry.

I carry wwb jhp in my carry guns. I have shot enough of it that I am satisfied with it's reliability in my guns.
Expansion through gel is satisfactory from the tests I looked at.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I've been thinking about switching solely to WWB 230gr JHP for EDC *and* training due to a very restricted budget. I'm carrying Hornady TAP FPD's at the moment and having to toss a round due to bullet setback (from near daily switching from WWB back to Hornady and back again for training) almost makes me feel guilty for carrying them.

I’m in a position where WWB is what I can afford so that’s what I carry.

In your case since you already have the Hornaday’s maybe you could set aside X magazines for self defense ammunition and keep them loaded w/ Hornadays and just carry a WWB JHP in your chamber.

When you go to the range you drop the SD magazines and load up some practice magazines fire the WWB that’s already in the chamber and you’re good.

speaking of round setback, here is an article about the same:
A cautionary tale... - Family, Friends, Firearms

I have a specific preference for .45acp self-defense ammunition, namely Hornady 200gr. TAP.

Speaking generally about WWB, I like their 147gr. 9x19mm JHPs. Out of my Glock 19 and Browning Hi Power, it's accurate and reliable. It also tests well for both penetration and expansion.

Great advice so far and it's good to see most of you are comfortable using WWB for EDC.

For reference, if I forgot to mention already, I'm carrying a 2nd Gen Glock 21, 13+1, condition 1.

I found a local LEO supplier that sells Gold Dot for very cheap and may give them a try since the price is right. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Hornady released "Critical Duty." It has a flexlock bullet. Windshields are not a problem according to the Ad.
I have not tried any of these but looks impressive...Windshields can be a B!tch

One of the things that is interesting is that the projectile retains high weight retention...Meaning the bullet does not break up as it passes through objects.

Watch this video...Let it play pas the shots to hear the data on the projectile.

http://www.hornady.com/new-products

Not released yet for 45...I'm sure it will be on the market soon...I'm going to run some through my Glock 27.

I run a lot of WWB for practice and I'm sure for most folks it would work fine...Does save you some dollars...As we all know the more you practice the better bullet placement you will achieve.

I like to load my 45 with WWB FMJ when I'm in the woods in case I run up on a disagreeable hog....(I've never had a failure to fire with WWB ammo)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back