1st time carrying concealed today...

Living in Florida, I used to worry about carrying often. Until recently, Florida law stated that a concealed weapon had to be totally concealed. If a weapon printed too strong or was accidentally exposed, even for a split second, it was considered a felony with a hefty prison sentence and fine. To the major dislike of the Florida Sheriffs Assoc., Gov. Rick Scott reversed that law. We are not an open carry state, but an accidental exposure is no longer a big deal.

i have to go to the post office today so i won't be carrying as i don't want to leave it in my vehicle while i go in because i don't have a vehicle safe and don't want to be seen breaking my gun down and stashing it in my vehicle somewhere ...but i read how someone had to leave their gun in their vehicle and they broke it down and kept the slide with them so if it was stolen no one could use it.....

i have to go to the post office today so i won't be carrying as i don't want to leave it in my vehicle while i go in because i don't have a vehicle safe and don't want to be seen breaking my gun down and stashing it in my vehicle somewhere ...but i read how someone had to leave their gun in their vehicle and they broke it down and kept the slide with them so if it was stolen no one could use it.....

There comes a point when you reach diminishing returns and precaution becomes paranoia.

would you leave your firearm in your vehicle if you didn't have a safe for it while going to the post office SGB?

Not only would I leave my loaded carry weapon in my truck. I carry a S&W .38 special in my truck all the time. Loaded and ready to fire. That's what door locks are for.

Yes I would and yes I have. And I too keep a spare handgun in my vehicle when out and about.
in florida we can't even have a gun in our vehicle on post office property which included their parking lots .......might want to double check your law there regarding that?

in florida we can't even have a gun in our vehicle on post office property which included their parking lots .......might want to double check your law there regarding that?

Then explain to me why I wasn't arrested when I mailed a declared Rifle recently. Going from a newbie to an internet expert took you no time at all. Seeing as you know it all you'll get no further advise from my ignorant a$$.

Yes I would and yes I have. And I too keep a spare handgun in my vehicle when out and about.

I've done this as well, if I go somewhere and it needs to come off I just slip my whole rig right into my glove box. I do watch on what is going on around me, don't want people thinking there is a crazy man in a vehicle with a firearm.

Maybe you should put yourself through firearm training one more time. Carrying a firearm under such paranoia can be hazardous.

our laws say no firearm even on the property same with school and police and courthouses.....of a post office and being i knew i was going to the post office i left it at home i don't want to get my license revoked for deliberately disobeying their rules..i didn't want to leave it home but i didn't want to risk my right to carry either
it's not a matter of paranoia it's a matter of trying to follow the law .. and trying not to get my permit revoked no sooner than i got it

so do you and other concealed carriers go into post offices while carrying?? or leave the weapon in your car while conducting your business at a post office?
just curious being new to this i want to know

so if i go to michigan with my florida permit i can open carry there? or must i keep it concealed?
You can do either or both. You don't need a permit to open carry just to carry concealed. There are restrictions on where you can open carry but they don't apply to CPL holders.

thanks alduane. i have family up in michigan so that is good to know being i travel up to michigan on occasion to visit......

now back to this post office thing ........how many concealed carriers here violate the statute about carrying on post office property? and why would you laugh at me for trying to comply with that law?

Then explain to me why I wasn't arrested when I mailed a declared Rifle recently. Going from a newbie to an internet expert took you no time at all. Seeing as you know it all you'll get no further advise from my ignorant a$$.

39 CFR 232.1 - Conduct on postal property. | LII / Legal Information Institute

CFR › Title 39 › Chapter I › Subchapter D › Part 232 › Section 232.1

39 CFR 232.1 - Conduct on postal property.

§ 232.1
Conduct on postal property.

-snip-
(l) Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
-snip-

I'm not an attorney and there is some question as to whether or not carrying a gun for self defense fits the definition of except for official purposes but, at this time, the Post Office regs consider sending a firearm through the mail to be using the mail services and is "official business".... but does not consider carrying a gun for defense as "official business". I'm guessing because there isn't any "business" being conducted involving the gun.

There is a court case challenging the ban of firearms not involving "official business" on Post Office property but, to the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been resolved yet.

Lawsuit Filed Against Post Office Gun Ban

So my non lawyerly interpretation of all of that is.... yes, a person can carry a firearm into the Post Office for the purpose of sending it through the mail (official business) but cannot carry a firearm into the Post Office to do any business that doesn't involve the firearm.

I would strongly suggest that anyone who is thinking of carrying a gun they aren't actually sending through the mail anywhere on Post Office property (including parking lot.. or even leaving your gun in the car in the parking lot while running in to pick up the mail) to consult with a real attorney (not faceless posters on the internet.. including me) and get an actual legal opinion.

39 CFR 232.1 - Conduct on postal property. | LII / Legal Information Institute

CFR › Title 39 › Chapter I › Subchapter D › Part 232 › Section 232.1

39 CFR 232.1 - Conduct on postal property.

§ 232.1
Conduct on postal property.

-snip-
(l) Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
-snip-

I'm not an attorney and there is some question as to whether or not carrying a gun for self defense fits the definition of except for official purposes but, at this time, the Post Office regs consider sending a firearm through the mail to be using the mail services and is "official business".... but does not consider carrying a gun for defense as "official business". I'm guessing because there isn't any "business" being conducted involving the gun.

There is a court case challenging the ban of firearms not involving "official business" on Post Office property but, to the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been resolved yet.

Lawsuit Filed Against Post Office Gun Ban

So my non lawyerly interpretation of all of that is.... yes, a person can carry a firearm into the Post Office for the purpose of sending it through the mail (official business) but cannot carry a firearm into the Post Office to do any business that doesn't involve the firearm.

I would strongly suggest that anyone who is thinking of carrying a gun they aren't actually sending through the mail anywhere on Post Office property (including parking lot.. or even leaving your gun in the car in the parking lot while running in to pick up the mail) to consult with a real attorney (not faceless posters on the internet.. including me) and get an actual legal opinion.

An excellent post, and as noted there are two opposing federal laws and no clear cut answer as there has yet to be a prosecution of a licensed concealed carry holder and court precedent that I'm aware of. Caution is the rule as no one wants to be the test case. However the Internet experts like eagleeyes know best, now i have to go back and re educate myself on the law as suggested by eagleeyes.

there is a big difference in conceal carrying a gun on your person readily available to fire and carrying a gun disassembled or in a disabled condition and packaged in a sealed box to mail off at the post office

there is a big difference in conceal carrying a gun on your person readily available to fire and carrying a gun disassembled or in a disabled condition and packaged in a sealed box to mail off at the post office

Make up your mind, you are the expert here after all.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back