Tight Ammo Supply

At the risk of repeating myself; hoarding being defined and synonymous with storing for future use is not necessarily a bad thing...

Its called being prepared... besides being a Marine I was a boyscout, so let me share this thought with you "BE PREPARED", have plenty of food, water and firearms and ammunition on hand...

And the fact that I personally know every single firearms dealer in Clark County, Nevada, I can confidently say at least in the Las Vegas metropolitan area, Clark County etc., the shortage is not due to dealers buying ammo at Walmart and reselling it...

It is ordinary citizens like you and I, not knowing if they will be able to buy ammo again under the Gun & Ammo Ban Agenda of the Usurper Obama Administration...

As I previously stated in this thread and related threads, any firearms instructor worth a darn will advise you to be putting at least 200 rounds per month, per firearm through any which you wish to remain proficient with...

One firearm = 2,400 rounds per year... just for practice alone...

How long would your current supply of ammo last you if you could not buy another bullet ever?

How long would your current supply of ammo last you if China stopped being our Bank and cut us off and the U.S. went bankrupt because of the unsustainable out of control spending of the Obamanation?
And you had to feed your family by hunting, and Zero Ammo and or reloading supplies were available period?

How long would your current supply of ammo last you if your police quit, left town because they were being overrun by armed gangs coming in from out of state and were going from house to house taking what they wanted at gun point... (this happened already in this country, remember hurricane Katrina)

Anybody remotely familiar with just in time supply chain management, of retail stores, grocery stores etc., knows that you do not order more then you anticipate being able to sell before the next time you typically can expect a shipment...

Its all about that supply and demand thing they taught us in Jr. High...

Glock and DPMS are both a year plus back ordered on pre-paid new firearms, that they cannot make fast enough...

Remington, Winchester, CCI, et.al., are running 24x7 and cannot make it fast enough to keep up with their back orders...

I was at a Walmart the other morning, when their shipment came off the truck, they received one case of .40's, some shotgun shells (no slugs, buckshot, which are as scarce as pistol and rifle ammo), and several boxes that contained partial's, in other words 2 boxes (not cases) of 38 spc, 2 boxes of 9mm, some 7mm, and that's it all from 3 different manufacturers...

Its not the dealers buying it up, don't let anybody tell you different... maybe here and there, but not as wide spread as some would have you believe...

I was at a gun show a month ago, and it was the first one in my life, I have seen that had zero ammo for sale...

If you are lucky enough to find ammo at Walmart or elsewhere, buy all you can afford, because its getting scarcer by the day...

Its getting hard to find it at any price, any place online or elsewhere...

And if you did not pay attention to supply and demand in school, take heed in the fact that firearm and ammunition inventory is handled the same way as your grocery's are, and can disappear overnight just like ammo has...

"ARE YOU PREPARED" ?

I hope It is becoming painfully obvious to our fellow citizens that blindly voted for the Usurper Administration, that it was the BIGGEST MISTAKE THEY HAVE EVER MADE IN THEIR LIVES...

Hopefully, they will either see the light before its to late on their own or fellow citizens like ourselves will show them the light and VOTE THE USURPER ADMINISTRATION OUT IN 2010, and 2012, if we have a country left by then... or they have not been shot or impeached first...

I'm a big supporter of PRIVATE BUSINESSES putting limits on the boxes of ammo they will sell to an individual. Throughout the history of capitalism, businesses have put restrictions on all kinds of items, so why should ammo be any different? Privately-held business have every right to limit sales. If putting limits on ammo sales curtails hoarding, that can only be a good thing.

FN1910 witnessed a guy who had just purchased a new gun and couldn't find any ammo anywhere and was having a well-deserved meltdown. Hoarding only serves to weaken the Second Amendment: the right to keep and BEAR arms. What's the point of bearing your newly-purchased arm, if you have no bullets to shoot with?

If I come across another 10 boxes of 9mm, like I did a few days ago at a local Wal-Mart, I WILL NOT buy all 10 boxes! I just won't. I considered myself blessed that I had found the inventory and took 5 boxes. That's 250 rounds for me, 250 for a fellow 2A supporter.

If we can't be civil to our fellow gun owners and future gun owners, to whom can we be civil?

FYI: The big three ammo manufacturers are running 24x7, of those 7 days; 5 of them are for government requests... the remaining two days a week are for the rest of the country...

DHS - Department of Homeland Security has been buying up millions of rounds of ammo and reloading supplies, for almost a year now, more then the entire U.S. military combined...

What do you suppose they are doing with all that stuff?

• Preparing for the Inevitable Armed Civil Unrest?

• Creating the ammo shortage, since Gun Ban Obama & Company are having trouble running an outright gun and ammo ban down our throats?'
  • All of the above?

Its not just retail ammo, its any related supplies, as hard as it is to find retail ammo I have found it easier to find then reloading supplies, and I have bought one box of ammo in 6 weeks...

I will buy what I can find, when I can find it, and I encourage others to do the same, which I anticipate they are doing anyway...

Forewarned is Forearmed!

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” - Thomas Jefferson

I think you are both right and I think you are both wrong.
Everyone of you who knows gun owners know just how much more everyday Joe is buying this year than he did last year. Having some idea as to how much munitions manufacturers in this country can produce, it is my guess that a war overseas and the run on ammo on these shores would pretty well tax the resources of the ammo manufacturers to the hilt. It could be viewed several ways when big brother tells America to toss its AR15s in one big burn pile but tell average Joe to toss his 60 year old .38 or his dads 45 into the burn pile.....well he just isn't going to do it.
As far as a guy buying a brand new gun, if he didn't find out if there was a box of ammo that could be had with it, he deserves the 24 oz paperweight.
One day I was low on ammo so I went out to buy some. I saw the shelves where nearly empty. At that same time, our Republican president just increased the national debt by 12~15% buy giving it to the greedy of the rich. Just a few weeks later our Democratic president increased the national debt by 12~15% by giving it to the slothful of the poor. At the same time paranoia (yes paranoia, whether existed a realistic or fantisised cause, paranoia) that the economy would bust at the same time the president would have average Joe toss his 38 into the fire, American gun owners started buy "hoarding" defense ammunition. Why? Who cares! Fact is average Joe bought. Now, I realized I couldn't get ammo anymore so what did I do? I bougt whenever I saw it. What do you do if you are a gun owner and it looks like ammo is going away, for whatever reason ammo is going away.
I have news for everybody who buys two boxes and leaves 8 on the shelf. I'm the guy you left the 8 boxes for and I am greatful. I am also grateful that I have the good sense not to stack ammo in the middle of the floor on the second floor. I buy what I see.
One the other hand, I won't continue to shoot 200 rounds a month thru everything I have when ammo is this difficult to purchase.

I'm a big supporter of PRIVATE BUSINESSES putting limits on the boxes of ammo they will sell to an individual. Throughout the history of capitalism, businesses have put restrictions on all kinds of items, so why should ammo be any different? Privately-held business have every right to limit sales. If putting limits on ammo sales curtails hoarding, that can only be a good thing.
Actually, I think that is a stupid business decision. I am dumfounded that you can still get 9mm Blazer Brass for $9/ box. When demand goes up, the price usually does as well. But I haven't seen prices go up in the last couple months.

Wally put up a 6 box limit per customer. So what? So when one case comes in, 3 guys leave with 6 boxes and one leaves with 2, still in less than an hour. Did they need that ammo? Maybe, maybe not. But it was cheap so they took it. But let's say Wally kills the limit but triples the price. If I already have 2000 rounds in my closet, I probably won't buy the whole case, if any at all. Now there is some available for the poor schmuck who is down to his last mag-full. Sure the cost is thru the roof, but at least it's there.

FN1910 witnessed a guy who had just purchased a new gun and couldn't find any ammo anywhere and was having a well-deserved meltdown. Hoarding only serves to weaken the Second Amendment: the right to keep and BEAR arms. What's the point of bearing your newly-purchased arm, if you have no bullets to shoot with?
At this very moment there are over 1000 rounds(about 10 different listings) of .45 long colt available on GunBroker. Sure he will pay over a buck a round, but again, atleast it's available.

In fact, there isn't a common caliber that isn't available on GB. From .22lr all the way up to .45acp., it's all there (over 700 listings for 9mm). This isn't a commercial for GunBroker. Just making a point that there is ammo out there. Yes it is expensive, but that is a good thing. Higher prices deter the "hoarder" so that the fellow who truely needs it, can buy it. Per-customer limits don't do that.

Worried gun owners are stockpiling ammunition and cartridge reloading components at such a rate that manufacturers can't meet demand.

The concern stems from the election of President Barack Obama - who the National Rifle Association said would be the most anti-gun president in American history during the presidential campaign...

"A distributor told us - you'd better buy enough for your students to last a while, because ammunition is going to run out," Kirschner said. "People are purchasing quite a bit of ammunition. It appears to be a short supply."

Lawrence Keane, senior vice president of the National Shooting Sports Foundation in Newtown, Conn., said he has heard from manufacturers across the country that there is a tremendous shortage of ammunition.

Keane added that many manufacturers of semiautomatic rifles and pistols are already so back-ordered that this year's entire production is already spoken for.

Link Removed

Guess I Hoard too

At the risk of repeating myself; hoarding being defined and synonymous with storing for future use is not necessarily a bad thing...

Its called being prepared... besides being a Marine I was a boyscout, so let me share this thought with you "BE PREPARED", have plenty of food, water and firearms and ammunition on hand...

And the fact that I personally know every single firearms dealer in Clark County, Nevada, I can confidently say at least in the Las Vegas metropolitan area, Clark County etc., the shortage is not due to dealers buying ammo at Walmart and reselling it...

It is ordinary citizens like you and I, not knowing if they will be able to buy ammo again under the Gun & Ammo Ban Agenda of the Usurper Obama Administration...

As I previously stated in this thread and related threads, any firearms instructor worth a darn will advise you to be putting at least 200 rounds per month, per firearm through any which you wish to remain proficient with...

One firearm = 2,400 rounds per year... just for practice alone...

How long would your current supply of ammo last you if you could not buy another bullet ever?

Boy Scout (Eagle on top of that) here too. I guess according to that definition I am a hoarder too. For more than 20 years, I replenish my ammo at the end of fall, just like replenishing my hurricane supplies at the end of Spring.

Minimum of 2000 rounds per pistol/revolver caliber used for target practice (38, 9, 45)
Minimum of 1000 rounds per rifle caliber used for target practice*
Minimum of 200 self defense rounds (380, 45)
Minimum of 10,000 rounds family use target practice (22 LR)**

* Exception - got addicted to AKs
** Used to be me and the wife and now add 2/3 kids practice.
(and kids like to shoot -- A LOT -- )

Here in Montana it has been hit and miss. Walmart seems to be the best but they run out quickly each week. Last month I drove 150 miles to pick up the last 6 boxes of 40 s&w a store had. They were the only rounds I could find. Now i am buying a box or two every time I go to the store. I know this helping to drive the price up, Supply and demand and all, but I am not going to take the chance of not being able to get ammo. i have cut down on my shooting at the range significantly.
I have also had a hard time finding components to reload shotgun shells. I was just able to place a very large order, but had to have a friend pick up the stuff in Washington.

Im not having any issue on buying the ammo I need at this point. Still finding reloading supplies sucks but ammo is not a problem

Ammo in Oregon is almost non existent! I haven't seen .380 here for about 2 months and primers vacated about 3 months ago!
Some .40 showed up at a local chain store and it was gone the same day...even .22s are gone!

Ammo in Oregon is almost non existent! I haven't seen .380 here for about 2 months and primers vacated about 3 months ago!
Some .40 showed up at a local chain store and it was gone the same day...even .22s are gone!

Have not seen more than a couple boxes of .45 ACP anywhere in a while; found some .44 mag and lots of .22 lr; an occasional box of .357 - no .38 to be seen, or .380 and rarely .40 - hardly any .32 ACP -

I heard from one shop owner that a shop has to buy as much as $45,000 in ammo to get the manufacturers attention and he can't afford it so he's out permanently -

Walmart had a 6 box limit ~

FWIW -

Here in my neck of the woods (PA), ammo for 9 and 45 are hard to come by.

I was at Wallyworld a few weeks ago and the sporting goods guy told me that they had just gotten a delivery that day and they were down to their last three boxes of 9mm ammo. I bought them immediately.

Couple of months ago, I bought About 1100 rounds of 9mm, off of a friend of mine that isn't even a gun guy. His Step-father had it , and my friend acquired it when he passed. Most of it was old surplus, NATO, I guess, made in Finland? It shoots, so I am sitting on the last 750, hoping it multiplies. Best of all, I got it for $100!!!!!!:laugh:

I had Lady Luck on my side on Friday. I was waiting to pick up the wife on Friday so we could go look at a house and I decided to go to Dicks Sporting Goods in Florence. I was able to pick up 450 rounds. I found 300rnds of .223 and 150rnds of 45 for $200. They sell Americas Value ammo in 150 rnd boxes and it shoots well. I got 2 boxes of 223 and a box of 45. They do have a 3 box limit per caliber. The guy behind the counter said that they got the shippment in the morning and I grabbed the last few boxes. Talk about luck.

Strangest thing....Cabelas has been out of every single hand gun round for 6 weeks, except 40 caliber Speer Gold Dot. Which it has never run out of. That is so strange.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back