Tight Ammo Supply

BO cracks me up! he is posting info from 1985, Should we tell him that the .40 SW round was not even invented until 1990?

LOL:no::biggrin::sarcastic:

Unfortunately, as an LEO I have seen more than one quite deceased individual with .22 and .25 bullet holes in them. As to the Raven ? I own one from the 70s that has digested well over 1000 rounds and it still hits where ya' point it and goes bang every time ya' hit the boom switch. Would I bet my life on it ? Lets just say I'd hate to have to but it's better than a prayer when someones sittin' on your chest with a knife!!

BO cracks me up! he is posting info from 1985, Should we tell him that the .40 SW round was not even invented until 1990?

LOL:no::biggrin::sarcastic:

You missed the point again as usual...

The point was that interestingly enough the cartridges most often carried by law enforcement, military and law abiding citizens are not the ones that have the best track record of confirmed kills...
And would by most of us on this forum be considered inferior (at least I hope so) .
Moreover, back to one of my previous statements that I was just razzing the guy in this thread whom has been successful at finding .40 ammo when nothing else was available; I meant that... just razzing and that a .22 can and has a long track record of demonstrably killing good guys and bad guys...
Would I carry a .22 or a .40? a few months ago when I could find other ammo I would have said no; now that seems to be the only ammo around, I am seriously considering buying a Glock or S&W autoloader in .40 or a Walther P22 for that reason alone... until the retail supply of pre-loaded ammo or reloading supplies becomes more readily available...

Additionally, as a side; the .40 has long been known as short and weak, was based on another cartridge the 10mm, which was another fad or tweener cartridge introduced BEFORE 1985... I have a Colt Delta Elite (no longer produced) in 10mm that is near impossible to find ammo for as well...
Both based on the ancient 38-40 cartridge...
None of which have any record of putting down bad guys or good guys to speak of...

Currently most Game & Fish departments, (at the insistence of the U.S. Department of the Interior) are phasing out their S&W Model 745's in .45 ACP and migrating to the Glock 30/36 in .45 ACP or Kimber 1911's in .45 ACP...
Additionally, most SWAT Teams and major law enforcement agency's are following the same trend, with the Glock .45 GAP in a close 3rd...

AND the FBI who were the single biggest supporters of both the 10mm and .40 have since signed contracts for Springfield Armory 1911's in .45 ACP

AND in the U.S. Military for decades, when given the choice between an issued M9 9mm sidearm and one of their own choosing, they overwhelmingly chose .45 ACP...

Just checked the Wal-Mart in Stafford Co. VA [white oak] and they are out of all pistol ammo. They had a few boxes of .223, the rest were shotgun shells.

Alchemists worked for hundreds of years trying to turn Lead into Gold. Now some politicians and rumors have done it in a few weeks.

You missed the point again as usual...

The point was that interestingly enough the cartridges most often carried by law enforcement, military and law abiding citizens are not the ones that have the best track record of confirmed kills...
And would by most of us on this forum be considered inferior (at least I hope so) .
Moreover, back to one of my previous statements that I was just razzing the guy in this thread whom has been successful at finding .40 ammo when nothing else was available; I meant that... just razzing and that a .22 can and has a long track record of demonstrably killing good guys and bad guys...
Would I carry a .22 or a .40? a few months ago when I could find other ammo I would have said no; now that seems to be the only ammo around, I am seriously considering buying a Glock or S&W autoloader in .40 or a Walther P22 for that reason alone... until the retail supply of pre-loaded ammo or reloading supplies becomes more readily available...

Additionally, as a side; the .40 has long been known as short and weak, was based on another cartridge the 10mm, which was another fad or tweener cartridge introduced BEFORE 1985... I have a Colt Delta Elite (no longer produced) in 10mm that is near impossible to find ammo for as well...
Both based on the ancient 38-40 cartridge...
None of which have any record of putting down bad guys or good guys to speak of...

Currently most Game & Fish departments, (at the insistence of the U.S. Department of the Interior) are phasing out their S&W Model 745's in .45 ACP and migrating to the Glock 30/36 in .45 ACP or Kimber 1911's in .45 ACP...
Additionally, most SWAT Teams and major law enforcement agency's are following the same trend, with the Glock .45 GAP in a close 3rd...

AND the FBI who were the single biggest supporters of both the 10mm and .40 have since signed contracts for Springfield Armory 1911's in .45 ACP

AND in the U.S. Military for decades, when given the choice between an issued M9 9mm sidearm and one of their own choosing, they overwhelmingly chose .45 ACP...

In other words everything you have posted is worthless information. What always shows the largest amount of deaths will the be most abundant on the street. 9mm and .22 area abundant so will always have more kills.

The rounds loaded by the FBI where large ball ammo and slow speed. 180 @ 970 fps = 375 force Not the way to stop anyone. A smaller HP at higher velocities will do much more damage. a 155 grain JHP loaded to 1350 FPS = 627 force. All that aside shot placement is always most important.

This is just because I have ammo and he doesn't. My guess is he really doesn't beleive ever 40 owner should change over to a 9MM because the 9 has killed more people.
Inferior. Silly silly.

In other words everything you have posted is worthless information. What always shows the largest amount of deaths will the be most abundant on the street. 9mm and .22 area abundant so will always have more kills.

The rounds loaded by the FBI where large ball ammo and slow speed. 180 @ 970 fps = 375 force Not the way to stop anyone. A smaller HP at higher velocities will do much more damage. a 155 grain JHP loaded to 1350 FPS = 627 force. All that aside shot placement is always most important.

This is just because I have ammo and he doesn't. My guess is he really doesn't beleive ever 40 owner should change over to a 9MM because the 9 has killed more people.
Inferior. Silly silly.

:no::no::no: ...

• Taylor KO Factor demonstrably proves bigger is better...
  • A .22 can kill you just a dead as something bigger...
  • Shot placement counts most...
  • A individual with a .40 and ammo has a better chance of survival then a individual with anything else without ammo.
  • IF the ammo and reloading supplies situation was not what it currently is; I might make a case for .40 owners to buy something more commonly had now days such as a 9mm or .45, but since it is what it is, I commend those that still have .40's; and I intend to buy a .40 and probably a Walther P22 myself at the gun show this weekend here in Vegas for that reason alone.

Ammo Shortage

That's one reason why I started reloading again after about 30 years. I now have at least several hundred rounds for each of my weapons with the exception of my 12 gauge, but 5 rounds of 00 buckshot should be enough for a good start and I have two cases of target ammo on order for it. I've also been stocking up on all the components I can find, but when you can find them it is usually at places like Gun Broker and the prices are generally double the normal retail price, i.e. $85 for a box of primers that would normally run about $30-$35. I know that several manufacturers have stopped taking backorders and some have even stopped selling direct to consumers because the backorders from distributors and wholesalers are so backed up that even with stepped up production, it will take months to clear the backlog.

If you were in Vegas and couldn't find any ammo, that may be because the students of Front Sight on their way to Pahrump, NV bought it for their weekend classes.

That's one reason why I started reloading again after about 30 years. I now have at least several hundred rounds for each of my weapons with the exception of my 12 gauge, but 5 rounds of 00 buckshot should be enough for a good start and I have two cases of target ammo on order for it. I've also been stocking up on all the components I can find, but when you can find them it is usually at places like Gun Broker and the prices are generally double the normal retail price, i.e. $85 for a box of primers that would normally run about $30-$35. I know that several manufacturers have stopped taking backorders and some have even stopped selling direct to consumers because the backorders from distributors and wholesalers are so backed up that even with stepped up production, it will take months to clear the backlog.

buying at those prices you are creating the problem not helping. Most of our local shops received CCi primers last week.

Supply and Demand 101:

A microeconomic law that states that, all other factors being equal, as the price of a good or service increases, consumer demand for the good or service will decrease and vice versa.

Supply Chain Management 101:

In the realm of supply chain management, “Just in time” refers to an inventory strategy that it used to improve a business’s return on investment through a reduction of in process inventory and all related costs.

When stock drops to a certain level, new stocks have to be ordered. This helps maintain space in the warehouse and keeps costs down to a reasonable amount. One drawback of “Just in time” however is that the re-order level is determined by the previous demand. If the demand rises above that amount, then inventory will be depleted a lot faster than usual and might cause customer service problems.

Purchase limit here in sunny socal is either 2 to 5 50 round boxes per day. Walmart has been out of ammo here for over 8 weeks with no relief in sight. Small pistol primers have been non existant for about the same time frame. I have plenty of powder, cases, and bullets, no primers. Very frustrating.:girl_wink:

I just got back from my local walmart. I got lucky again and found them with 4 boxes of .40 on the shelf so I bought them. have not seen .45 at walmart in quite some time.

It's very tight even as a dealer/trainer to get any from the wholesalers. Cabelas though has been filling back orders for 38 SPL and I bought a bunch of 9MM last week at their store in Kansas City when I went through.

Had to buy retail since my distributors were OUT!

Last edited:
Walmart in Camillus, NY

Walmart in Camillus, NY had 10 boxes of 9mm Blazer Brass @ $9/box when I stopped in on Sunday so I picked up 4 boxes. Went through 1 box with no malfunctions, so I'll heading back there tomorrow to buy out the remaining boxes if there are any left.

That makes over 600 rounds (in about 3 weeks) through my new Taurus 24/7 Pro DS stainless without a single malfunction--including Speer Gold Dot +P, American Eagle, WWB, UMC and now Blazer Brass. It eats it all with no complaints. :biggrin:

Walmart in Camillus, NY had 10 boxes of 9mm Blazer Brass @ $9/box when I stopped in on Sunday so I picked up 4 boxes. Went through 1 box with no malfunctions, so I'll heading back there tomorrow to buy out the remaining boxes if there are any left.
:

Goose Creek, SC had 9mm Blazer Brass ammo at the same price last night. Limit 6 so I bought 6. There was also Winchester 100 round 45 ACP & 40 S&W and various rifle rounds, 243, 270, 223, 30-30, 7mm Rem Mag....

The local gun shop charges $28.99 for the same box of 9mm Blazer Brass Ammo, 2 weeks ago it was $17.99.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back