A Concealed Weapons Permit badge ...

bofh

Banned
... and a criminal use of a firearm. From Concealed Nation | Update On PA Church Shooting: Concealed Carrier Charged, Brandished Firearm And CCW ‘Badge’:

The shooting that occurred on Sunday at a church in Pennsylvania has been investigated, and today police released their findings during a press conference.

Here is the timeline of events, as outlined during the press conference:

1. The victim, 27-year-old Robert Braxton, was a part of a verbal altercation when a congregation member sitting behind him, tapped Braxton on the shoulder and told him that his seat was already taken.
  2. A verbal argument occurred, and Braxton was later calmed down and things settled. Church members came to Braxton to calm things down and then walked away once things were settled.
  3. The defendant, identified as 46-year-old Mark Storms, then approached Braxton with his firearm already out, as well as a badge.
  4. The badge was determined to be a badge stating that he is a concealed carrier, likely similar to this one.
  5. A physical altercation then occurred, and punches were thrown between Braxton and Storms.
  6. Storms then fired two shots at Braxton, killing him.
Storms was arrested today and charged with voluntary manslaughter and recklessly endangering others.

Also, from 6 ABC News | Montgomery County Church Member Charged In Fatal-Shooting:

District Attorney Kevin Steele announced the charges of Voluntary Manslaughter and Reckless Endangerment against 46-year-old Mark Storms of Lansdale.

27-year-old Robert Braxton III of Montgomeryville was killed during a service Sunday at Keystone Fellowship Church on the 400 block of Stump Road in Montgomeryville.

According to Steele, the incident began when the victim created a disturbance during the service.

"Braxton was creating a disturbance during the 11 a.m. church service after a fellow church member sitting behind him touched his shoulder, apparently telling him that he'd taken an already occupied seat," Steele said.

Witnesses say they saw church ushers and an associate pastor intervene and talk to Braxton. They then left with him remaining in the seat.

"Witnesses then saw the victim calming down and saw the shooter come over. When he came over he had a gun out," Steele said.

Storms, who authorities say has no official function with the church or any history of law enforcement, approached Braxton and displayed a Concealed Weapons Permit badge. He then told Braxton he had to leave the sanctuary.

"The badge that defendant showed the victim was a permit to carry a concealed weapon that he seemingly purchased online," Steele said.

Authorities say Braxton took a swing at Storms, punching him in the jaw.

Storms then fired two shots from his .9mm semi-automatic handgun, striking and killing Braxton.

Steele says the shooting was not a reasonable self-defense situation.

The badge is stupid. Approaching Braxton at all was stupid since Storms had no authorities as security personnel or any other official affiliation with the church, and approaching with gun drawn was stupid.

Punching a guy in the jaw who already had a gun in his hand was stupid.

Shooting and killing a guy who threw a single punch at you was stupid.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Depending on what happens at trial, it seems like the two men involved will both have won the stupid prizes they played for. I won't say that Braxton "got what he deserved," because I don't think he deserved to die under the circumstances described, but getting shot under those circumstances was certainly predictable enough. Sounds like both men were wound just a tad bit too tight.

Blues

I'm surprised that he wasn't charged with impersonating an officer. Approaching someone with your gun and "badge" sure sounds like you are attempting to show the badge as a symbol of authority.

The correct response by Braxton would have been to very carefully leave the premises and from just off church property call 911 and report there was an unbalanced person who brandished a handgun in the service then stand-by and watch the fun begin.

This is the first time I've read about a concealed carry "badge." Sure doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Some very bad judgment happening in this church shooting. LEO wannabes are dangerous people.

There have been a few very entertaining discussions regarding CCW badges here on this forum (and probably every gun forum). This company used to sell CCW sashes:
Link Removed

Here's the deal - any cop that would just instantly believe a person wearing a Mr/Ms Police USA sash was a real police officer needs a whole lot more training.

Why would anyone want to wear a "badge" showing concealed carry. You just as well wear a billboard announcing it. I thought it was suppose to be CONCEALED.

I love CCW badges. They give me a feeling of authority when I'm making the scum feel the iron hand of justice on the streets.

What was stupid was not continuing the attack. If you're going to punch someone with a gun in their hand keep whaling on them

Well, maybe that was his intent but he got shot because of the stupid first punch? Either way, stupid all around by both parties is the way I read it.

Agree, pretty stupid all around.

Note that the story I posted has been updated with more information. From 6 ABC News | Montgomery County Church Member Charged In Fatal-Shooting:

Storms told investigators he thought he was in "great danger" and was "worried about the other people in the church," including his wife and son.

He said he'd shown the fake badge during a prior situation, and "the guy walked away."

"It is clear the shooter brought a gun to a crowded church, he introduced that gun into a verbal altercation that turned into a fistfight, and then fired the gun twice aiming at the vital part of the body, killing the victim," Steele said.

Authorities say they conducted more than 50 witness interviews.

The Braxtons say they are moving forward with the help of their spirituality.

"As a church family, we are still going to love and support your family," said Robert Braxton Jr.

Braxton's funeral is set for Saturday.

Storms was arraigned Thursday afternoon and bail was set at $250,000 cash bail.

If convicted on both charges, Storms is looking at more than 20 years behind bars.

Agree, pretty stupid all around.

Note that the story I posted has been updated with more information. From 6 ABC News | Montgomery County Church Member Charged In Fatal-Shooting:

...."It is clear the shooter brought a gun to a crowded church, he introduced that gun into a verbal altercation that turned into a fistfight, and then fired the gun twice aiming at the vital part of the body, killing the victim," Steele said.

I found the part I put in bold to be rather sensationalistic nonsense coming from the cop investigating the shooting. Certainly cops, and just about everyone else who has ever taken even a beginner's defensive gun course, would shoot at a "vital part of the body" if they determined the situation called for pulling the trigger. I'm not saying the determination was right in this specific instance, but it seems to me that Steele is just trying to put those seeds of guilty until proven innocent in the jury pool's collective mind by saying something like that to a news organization.

I don't ever speak out to knowingly support stupid, and I'm not now, but I always speak out when government officials try to turn some irrelevant factoid into a guilty verdict before jury selection has even started.

Blues

Wearing a CCW Badge tells everybody, "I'm armed, shoot me first". Just as well have a billboard on you head and a target center mass.

Wearing a CCW Badge tells everybody, "I'm armed, shoot me first". Just as well have a billboard on you head and a target center mass.

Apparently you read the article like you read the Bible. He wasn't wearing the badge he was carrying it.

What's the sense of carrying a badge that has no authority, and carrying it in your pocket where it can't be seen? Sounds childish.

What's the sense of carrying a badge that has no authority, and carrying it in your pocket where it can't be seen? Sounds childish.

You sound childish!!!

Badges are cool, and they do display authority. And you know what authority I have when I'm carrying one? The authority to blow some hapless dirtbag all the way to Hell. You feel me, bro?

You sound childish!!!

Badges are cool, and they do display authority. And you know what authority I have when I'm carrying one? The authority to blow some hapless dirtbag all the way to Hell. You feel me, bro?

Actually, you have absolutely NO AUTHORITY with that badge. It will get you in trouble.

Wearing a CCW badge tells everyone "I'm not mature enough to carry a gun, but I am armed".

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back